Snowdonia Marathon 2015

Comments

• Apologies McHilly, for some bizarre reason my forum settings have been blocking your posts - how rude! Well done on Abingdon.

I have on occasion run at Abingdon and then Snowdon the following week. Last year I was only 5 minutes slower at SNOD than at Abingdon so you never know. The joy of not having to run around trading estates has got to be worth a few minutes at SNODimage 

• 4th go at this event for me all going well should dip under the 3 45 mark fingers crossed .

• 18th for me on Saturday , had my best Snowdons after Abingdon
  • First of all, sorry that you cant make it InsideForward, best of luck with recovery.

Everyone else seems to be rocking and rolling, yehimageimage

Cheers LG, have knackered my knee at Rotherham but will MTFU image..might just have a bit of a taper now! 

SS, may not be able to leave work early enough to get to you this year on Friday but hope to pop in and see you after the marathon. 

Ents. Team..where and when are we proposing an evening meet on the Saturday evening. I lost you last year, or you hid from meimage

• Great run again Brer - I'm sure you'll be fine for Saturday.  Well done on last LSRs everyone, of whatever length!!!  Just managed to PB at Chelmsford yesterday, so trying to rest now to be ready for SNOD. 

Should be in Llanberis Friday evening SS if you are still looking for numbers for the evening.

Running number 1455 for your list, TRex - hope your ankle recovers OK. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, I was going to ask that.  

What time are we meeting in the evening at The Heights, 74 High Street, Llanberis? Suggest 1830 or 1900?  Whatever time we say, jason d and carrot top, if coming, will have already got a head start ...

This is in addition to as many of us to be there as possible for Fenland Runner's presentation at 1500-1600.  Let us know anything different to that time, FR.

SS - I will probably call in at your place Sunday or Monday.  I have a feeling Mrs T Rex will practically live there, especially if inclement outside.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Talking of which it looks like the end of this long dry period is coming about Wednesday - just right for us ...

• Just right indeed. Better pack some wet weather gear. As they say, there's no such thing as bad weather, just weak people
  • TR/MTri - you beat me to it!   Just looked at weather forecast for Saturday and thought, "yup, business as usual!"  Snod wouldn't be the same without a bit of inclement weather image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2644172

FR - there's a fair chance I'll still be on the road between 3.00 pm and 4.00 pm, but I'll be with you in spirit image

Avoid the taper worms, guys image

• Greetings peeps. Long time no look-in. I've just read through the last few pages and see that everyone's been busy, notably brer rabbit as usual. image I've seen that 'taper' word mentioned a few times. If I were to do that I'd have to stay in bed. Apart from parkruns, my running has been replaced by outdoor DIY while the dry weather has continued. I've used all my power tools - with the attachments. image By Sunday evening I ached like I haven't done in years. Let's see what this does for my SNOD time instead of the usual Round Rotherham of all previous years.

My race number for T Rex's list is 717. Nice to see last year's target time already in place. This will be my 10th consecutive running. I may wear something special by way of celebration. image

I'll be arriving on Friday evening to begin a festival weekend extending to Tuesday, getting excited now.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Festival weekend - bring it on!  I'm probably staying until Tuesday as well, or possibly longer if the weather is good (?!)

hoofy - 18 coasters?  That will be quite a collection.  This will be 9th for me.

BritNick - You'll be in the 3:59 group until you do it!!!

Well, I've just done my last LSR this morning, 20 miles.  Practised the pace for the first 20 in SNOD and did it with only a few seconds out, so that was 5 at 9:20, followed by 8 at 8:10 which was quite a challenge with no downhills to help, finishing with 7 at 9:10.

On the day then just 2 more at 9:10, then 2 at 12:30, and 2.2 at 8:30.  Seems doable for a course best (3:58)?  Conditions may not permit of course.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

2:54

• #9  John Bach

3:14

• #985  *Jones*
    • running eye
    • #1666  Top Hat

3:25

• #271  Greg C

3:29

• Chimney
    • #1585  Lazy Greyhound, The
    • #164  Ultra Disco Stu

3:35

• Lemmy

3:44  

• ChefRunner31
    • #1455  Run Jono

3:58

• #533  mr panad
    • #1327  T Rex
    • Wicksy

3:59

• #717  BritNick
    • #1013 Cae Ras  1st mara image
    • #871  Dennis Hussey
    • McHilly

4:20

• dave turner 
    • #805  MTri

4:27

• #100 Fenland Runner 100th mara  image presentation The Heights 1500-1600-ish
    • legend777

4:30

• Simon Lister 2

4:59

• #580  An Other Half
    • #163  BrickHill Runner

5:30+

• Peter John Lewis

Also running:

• Andrea B
    • #2605  brer rabbit
    • carrot top
    • #498  Gringo WBA
    • Harley Henshaw 2
    • Harshad_Patel
    • #1199  Hobie 1495
    • hoofy
    • ian ingham
    • jason d
    • KingKenny
    • koiboy
    • Mrs Lemmy
    • #2099  Naomi Cane
    • #2192  panad
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • #1524  Reydon Rover
    • #771 runwithmysetter
    • seam fitzgerald 4
    • Sir John a Lot
    • #1662  Steve Taylor 1969
    • stilldreaming
    • Tattooed Runner 40-something
    • Torquay runner

• Buxton Sprocket
    • Chrissi
    • Dizzle65
    • hope to ...
    • InsideForward
    • LouP252
    • Wabo
  • I'm not the official researcher for the highlights programme this year but I'll still be around Llanberis helping out the TV crew on the day, so please do come and say hello if you see me. I won't coerce anyone into an interview on camera but if you fancy doing one I can certainly arrange it!

• Hey Britnick you skiver! Felt sure I'd see you at either Hardmoors 60 or Rotherham Round, looked out for youimage

Been to charity shop tonight for obligatory massive coat to wear until start of race...or indeed during the race if it as grim as it looks on the forecast. If you see a 5 foot hobbit looking like Paddington Bear in a duffle coat with a bin liner over the top-that's meimage

FOOW, will be great to see you again, you really made me laugh last year-you were so encouraging.

OK team, 4 more get-ups!

• Last run completed, 5 miles in typical Snowdonia weather, got absolutely soaked!

• An Other Half wrote (see)

3 sleeps to go ...

2 for me, unlikely to sleep Friday night image

• Me too MTri me too

Currently displaying ominous signs of early onset ManFlu image.  Not ideal as I've not had a cold in months.

Ah well its all part of the challenge and if I don't run I can't have that long awaiting pint Sat'dee night! 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Not running is not an option, CaeRas.  How tough are you?

Forecast is heavy rain, 11C, and 14 mph south-westerlies.  Nice to have something comforting and familiar.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

As usual a headwind down into Beddgelert so even the fast section is compromised ...

• Hmmmm I was just looking at the forecast myself (for about the 10th time!) The one and only year I was hoping for a dry, crisp day to give me a chance achieving my goal time. Oh well it was always going to be a long shot even in the dry but you've got to dream!

CaeRas, taper time does that. I always feel fat, unfit and ill during most tapers and I guess many of us do. If it does turn into a head cold you will be ok but watch it if you are running a temperature or if your symptoms are below the neck - chest infections etc. I had terrible colds for my first two marathons and as soon as I started running completely forgot about them.

• Hi everyone - delurking and introducing myself after a few weeks of reading and gathering some Snowdonia tips. I am very impressed with the vast number of SNODS completed by some individuals!

#723 and will be very pleased with 3.19.xx

As a few have mentioned, the weather looks, er, seasonal. Any tips on what to wear? I would only ever wear shorts and a vest for a spring marathon, but thinking the top of the passes and the descents could be cold and wet. Hat? T-shirt? Or god forbid some cheeky arm warmers?

Looking forward to running this great sounding event with everyone.

• Survival time is required, just returned from one of the most settled periods of late October weather the staff of the Glen Nevis visitor centre can ever remember.

They have never seen the summit ridge of Ben Nevis totally free of cloud for longer than five continual days, everyone working at Glen Nevis were talking about it continually.

Visited Fort William last week, and the summit of Ben Nevis was totally free of any cloud for a remarkable six days in succession, and was still cloud free when I left on Saturday.

Last Tuesday afternoon from the Spean Bridge Commando monument, you could almost see the walkers traversing the mountains,you felt like you could reach out and touch them, such was the clarity of air.

Went up the Ben for the first and possibly last time, last Wednesday morning, the weather was cool and beautifully clear, but God was it cold on the summit, I've never experienced such temperatures on any mountain I've climbed, and that includes Snowdon in full winter conditions.

For the rest of the week I felt great, but yesterday I had one major sore throat, and one massive cold.

Not ideal preparation for my 21st race, so any notion of trying to beat a particular time is completely out of the widow.

This morning I did have thoughts of whether I could actually compete, let alone get around, I feel like I've been hit by a car that failed to stop at a crossing.

If anyone has been brave enough to look at Saturday's forecast, it does not look promising, especially considering the nice settled weather we have had over the last few weeks.

There is a 90% chance of rain falling during the day, and considering my tender limbs, is not ideal weather for someone full of cold.

I've run the race in recent years feeling like death warmed up, but would hate to miss out in collecting my 20th coaster.

Plenty of rest, loads of lemsip and Halls Soothers, and just hope I can get around eventually.
  • Forget the weather, PBs are won or lost due to correct training, or lack of it.

Jef Norman went under 2.30 on a far more challenging course way back in the early 90s, simply because he was in magnificent shape, and if I recollect, he did it in traditional murk and gloom foul weather.

Poor weather will slow you down a bit, but unless the weather was like 1986, when trees were horizontal and Bwlch Y Groes enveloped you in a savage frenzy of storm force winds, no weather will rob you of a Pb.

The only person robbing you of a Pb,is yourself.

Most of us all know the course well enough, train consistently hard for several months, taper correctly, eat well, remain properly hydrated, and turn up and perform.

I was fairly confident of beating last years slow time of 5-20, that is until this massive cold robbed me of any conditioning or body strength, to reach Pen Y Pass let alone Waunfawr.

All I am looking at, is getting around in sufficient time to collect my treasured coaster.

Not finishing has never entered my mind, and even if I have to strap a box of Kleenex to my arm,so be it.

Competing and finishing the best marathon in the UK is all that matters, pbs are for heroes, who have trained consistently well and know what their cape able of on the day, whatever the weather may hold
  • As for clothing, if Saturday's weather is correct.

Bravado is one thing, comfort in adverse conditions, especially from Beddgelert to Bettws Garmon is the order of the day.

I will be competing in my Skins leggings, breathable OMM waterproof, and those all important gloves and head covering.

Staying warm or sufficiently warm in horrid weather, possibly in the teeth of a headwind, as like six years ago, when it rained bullets from start to finish, requires the correct clothing.

Your more likely to get cramp and be robbed of a precious Pb, if your lower body becomes cold and fatigued, and over a tough 26 mile course in late autumnal Snowdonia, the wearing of shorts, is only for the very fast, home in under 3 hrs runner, or the eventual winner.

I've never failed to reach the finishing line of any of my 19 Snowdonia marathons, and if the weather forecast looks traditional Snowdon marathon stuff, wear the right sort of clothing that ensures you even get that coveted Pb or at least finish in comfort.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Great story, PJL.  However I am not entirely sure you have 19 coasters for all your troubles?

Hi, Sorequads.  Well they will be after coming down from Bwlch-y-groes!

Unless you are a very hardy type I would suggest at least a T, but if very heavy rain a windproof top would be better, also a windproof beanie or similar, and perhaps thin gloves.  Shorts will be fine.

It is far more important to be warm rather than dry.  For that reason I rarely wear a waterproof layer. I probably would in the conditions PJL was describing in 1986, i.e. extreme.

Yes, I think we have enough coasters between us to roof a small, mid-terrace house.

• 1692 here.

I arrived in Llanberis yesterday to sun. Today, not so much. Proper Welsh weather. There are two runners doing the marathon each day for six days starting last Monday. They switch directions each day. They are raising money for a local cancer unit.

Safe travels. Hope to see many of you at the Pantri or the Heights.
  • Looking forward to meeting as many people as possible. Going to be a fab day, wet and cold or not.