Snowdonia Marathon 2015

Comments

• Are there likely to be plenty of stalls to buy last minute stuff? I need gloves
  • Hope the 40kt wind forecast for tomorrow here (Orkney) will have settled by Friday image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    pete bland normally have a pop up shop in registration Steve. If you are there early enough on the friday or saturday morning there are also plenty of outdoor shops in Llanberis where you'd be able to get some gloves.
  • OK, weather looking a challenge but it all adds to the adventureimage Steve, grab a cheap pair of mitts from Poundsaver and some latex gloves to put over them. Better than any Goretex crap and you can ditch them in a bin if you don't need them any more. I look a bit of a plonker with mine on but hey, it works for me!

Now, about that wind..I think it should be less challenging by the time most of us get to Bwlch Y Groes..I sincerely hope so as that is my nemesis. I get blown away if it is too violent through the valley and the marshalls have to grab me. I wonder if I can put on about 2 stones before now and Saturday!!

• MWIS seem to suggest the rain MIGHT go through before the race?

• ..and unlike brer rabbit I've no fear of being blown over being a right fat B*stard!

• DOES ANYONE NEED A ROOM FOR THE WEEKEND OR KNOW ANYONE THAT DOES? 

We have a spare double room in the forumites house right on the high street. Its  booked from Friday through to the following Friday. Stay as long as you want. £125 all in. Reply here or email me tuartblofeld@Hotmail.com]stuartblofeld@Hotmail.com cheers

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Oh dear, who's pulled out?

Wind up to 15 mph now and temp dropped to 10C.  It's getting slightly worse every time I look.

I know the answer to that ...

.... stop looking.

• TRex sorry that came wrong. Defo 100% running wouldn't miss this for anything

no idea how tough I am. I'll let you know Sunday image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

No disrespect intended.  You're going to have a very memorable marathon.   And most folks come back again (and again!)  The terrible weather never seems to put people off - in fact they consider it a necessary part of the experience.

I've often come up and camped over the weekend - but that I think is taking the experience too far.

One year about 0100 after an interesting evening drinking in Llanberis after the race I set out back up to my campsite three miles away in Nant Peris (I couldn't persuade the guys to come out to me at the Vaynol Arms).  It was hammering down and the roads were 3" deep in water that I was sloshing through in sandals. Finally got there soon after 0200 to find an extremely soggy field and no sign of a tent.  A rather low point in my life.

• My club mates and I are going for the 'it's all part of the experience' attitude towards the worsening weather forecasts. The single icon for Llanberis for Saturday on the BBC site is now 'hail showers'.

Anyway, despite this, really looking forward to the whole weekend. Travelling up from South Wales tomorrow morning with stop along the way for a light lunch. Then onto Llanberis to register early afternoon and a quick look round before going onto accommodation near Bangor and going for something to eat early evening.

Club mates are staying in 3 or 4 different locations so planning to meet up at race start and then wait around for each other afterwards and go for some well earned drinks. Got a few supporters dotted around the course so look out for people in Cwm Ogwr Running Club clothing waving flags and ringing cow bells.

Come and say hello if you spot us - we're a friendly bunch. Any advice gratefully received as well as only 1 of our 13 runners has run SNOD before and we've even got three debut marathoners.

• 15mph wind is nothing! We have 40kts gusting 50kts just now (Orkney) image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Up to 18 mph now and down to 9C.  Hail showers for poor souls still out at 1600.

• I'll have to keep moving then (to avoid a blasting over Bwlch Y Groes!)

• A ward of warning to those competitors full of self doubt at this late stage.

There were probably many disappointed runners this year, who due to neglect forgot to enter the race on Jan 1st.

Few runners would have thought the race would have sold out within 60hrs of going online, its a popular race, but over a thousand entrants in the first nine hours is impressive by any standards.

Guaranteed there will be at least 7-800 competitors who got in by the skin of their teeth, who for some unknown reason will not show up Saturday morning.

Some will be injured, but not that many.

Just think about the place you have denied another entrant, simply because you did not bother showing up.

I will excuse those who are injured or have genuine reasons for cancelling their trip to Llanberis, but those numbers are fairly few in number.

I know of four people this year who have been phoning around waiting for a cancellation or hoping to get into the race, but once the 2500 entry limit has been reached, places will be few and far between.

Whatever your current state of fitness, take part, finish the race, pull out if necessary,but your entry is precious, do not treat it with disrespect.

You should never enter a race, especially a marathon, on a whim or as a bet to a friend.

Enter- Train- Compete- Suffer if necessary, but join the rest of us who have collected one of those special Llechwedd Slate finishers coasters.

Finishing the London marathon is a dream for most of us, but heaven forbid, the finishers medals are sold in abundance on Ebay, which devalues the whole event.

Getting hold of one of those slate coasters after the event, is a difficult process, quite a few lay unclaimed on the table in llanberis after the last runner comes through, but the only true way to obtain one, is to suffer.

Suffer with the rest of us on a wet and dreary Saturday, and do not dwell on the fact that i could have been there.

YOU COULD HAVE BEEN THERE, BUT DECIDED TO DENIE OTHERS THE OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME.

Taking part in the Snowdonia Marathon is an honour, and should not be treated with disrespect.
  • From the SNOD Facebook page -

"The team from Love Hope Strength will be at race registration this year. If you want to help make a difference, come along and sign up to help fight Blood Cancer. It’s just a simple swab and it could save somebody’s life."

Mrs LG and I signed up last year. It only takes a second and there is something like a 3% chance that you will be a match for someone in need over a 10 year period - scarily tiny odds if you are waiting for a donation. Mrs LG has just found out that she is match for someone in need of a donation. So guys and gals get donating you spit when you pick your race numbers up.

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    cheers for that TLG -I didn't see them at registration last year..will keep a look out!
  • They were stuck out in the corridor last year and guess that's where they will be this year as it was pretty chocker in the registration room.

• I am not racing on Sunday (nor, PJL, did I enter) but I have loved reading this thread.

I shall be thinking of you all as I plod around the Suffolk lanes...

I ran the Peris Horseshoe race once in the mid 1980s and really loved it despite (or perhaps because of) the foul weather. 

Have a great day. 

• Blimey you've done the Peris, I've managed to complete the full race on two occasions, the first time in a few over six hours.

The first time I entered to see what it was like, and is by far the toughest race I've ever completed, on another level to the Snowdon Marathon even though it's eight miles shorter in length.

I can remember standing by the gate opposite the Royal Vic being told I had finished,without realising where the finish line was.

In those days I had a small Citroen C1, and I was so tired I didn't have the strength in my left leg to operate what was a very lite clutch pedal.

The second attempt was years later, and far more wiser, but it's a brutal fell race.

My Snowdon Marathon coasters in their nice wooden box, are extremely precious items, and my twin Peris China mugs are a close second.

The next time I have a go at the Peris, it will be the kiddies short course, the brutal long course is for real men.
  • Just my sort of weather forecast image still a bit warm for my liking, vest and shorts whatever happens though image

• I will be collecting my number sometime early tomorrow, and will make sure I seek out the Love Hope Strength team and get registered.

It should be an optional but advisable visit for every visitor who collects their number over the two days.

Personally I would like to see other most worthy health related charities turning up and being allowed to advertise their wares.

Most of us take our ability to run in the Snowdonia for granted, most of us have been running for years, but not many of us put a little back into society.

With the cost of races getting quite ridiculous, I would not mind if the entry for the Snowdon Marathon went up considerably, and then a list of specially chosen charities chosen by the organisers could then receive a percentage of my entry fee.

The cost of entry to the Snowdon Marathon is very reasonable, but if I knew 100% that my money was going to a host of local and national charities, some who were able to set up stands in the registration hall, then I would pay a lot more.

What grieves me, are the race organisers who charge a fortune and give nothing or little to charity.
  • Nice idea PJL. I'd definitely support it.
  • Well I have wimped out, the OMM tights are packed.  *soft southerner*

• Just scared myself looking at my Strava from last years race image getting a bit nervous now image haven't resorted to tights yet though image

• hi everyone, I'm doing my fourth Snowdonia marathon on Saturday, can't wait! Just wanted to say this thread has been brilliant help with tips and advice for the big day.

Over the last few years I've finished in 4:14 (2014), 4:07 (2013) and 4:21 (2012). I'm aiming to break 4 hours this year. The only thing I struggle with is keeping energy levels up, I've got type one diabetes and have had low blood sugar levels a couple of times round 17-20 miles. Hopefully not this year. If there are any other type one diabetics out there I'd be grateful for any advice

Cheers and good luck everyone!! Joe

• Sorry Joe, cant give any advice but good luck. There will be plenty of people around you though who I'm sure will be able to help out. How about stashing a bottle of lucozade somewhere in the hedge at around that mileage tomorrow night? There is a big mileage marker for 20 miles somewhere on the stint up to Waunfawr from Beddgelert.

Wont be able to make it for pre-race meet so will assume that we are at the Heights from 6.30 onwards with beautiful sun tans from our day out on Saturday night!! 

Good luck Fenners..the 100th beckonsimageimage

• Hi joe, I'm also a Type 1 Diabetic and whilst I have never run SNOD before I've done 4 marathons and one ultra. The only time I became low was in a trail marathon - I think because it took a lot longer than road marathons and so I needed gels more frequently. Still nothing eating a whole packet of dextrose whilst having a walk for a couple of minutes up a hill didn't fix! Managed to bounce back and finish strong. 

My advice for Sunday would be to have breakfast early enough to allow the insulin to be out of your system before the start - so perhaps eat at 7? Regular gels at whatever frequency has worked for you in training (every 4-5 miles for me), and take some dextrose at the first sign of a low. I'm also going to wrap my dextrose in a sandwich bag as I fear the rain might dissolve them otherwise! Anything else you'd recommend with your experiences of SNOD?

Right, kit almost decided. My shortest shorts (it is a race, after all) are a must. Long socks, t shirt and a cheeky visor. Can't wait to be on the start line with everyone! 

• Travelling tomorrow and will be without gadgets, so best wishes to everyone and see you on the start line...image

Enjoy your 100th, Fenland Runner - there's nothing like it image