No Strictly this year

Comments

• Hiya again, was a bit rushed earlier. Jeremy to go perhaps? I'm loving Peter Andre and didn't expect to. Katie and Anton were great last night

• Well I was wrong then, Jeremy still in!

• Daniel might not survive the dance off image 

I'm finding it hard to like jamelia but agree her Charleston was good. Same with the midwife person (sorry name forgotten) can't warm to her. 

• Little Nell wrote (see)

I have absolutely no patience whatsoever, so I always have to go on Digital Spy and find out the eliminated person as soon as it's decided... image

Me too! image

• Shame on to cheats! image

• Yeah but, no but, yeah well....

I find the results show a bit of a drag.  I used to record it and then watch it on fast forward until the dance off bit but now I can't even be bothered to do that and as it all actually happens on Saturday...........

• Can't agree more schmunks. 

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Ooh no, I like the suspense and have to avoid all social media until I've watched it image  I actually thought Kirsty was for the chop, even after the dance off so it just shows what I know!

I like Jeremy, I am OK with him being in a couple more weeks but not at the expense of 'better' dancers as the show goes on.  I predict the next few will be, in no particular order, Kirsty, Jamelia, Carol and Ainsley.  Although I imagine there will be one shocker somewhere in between!

Anybody wondered about Aliona & Jay - she was rather all over him on Sat night, now I assumed she was being 'motherly' and calming his nerves but she was a little OTT and apparently all is agog back home - anybody notice?

• Well I thought it was going to be vary close between Kirsty and DoD in the dance off. I actually thought DoD did a pretty reasonable dance on Saturday.  In the dance off, Kirsty did exactly the same dance and didn't do anything with her hands which could have been a slight improvement but DoD made a hash of it. I said half way through that he had made too many mistakes. Stalled, forgot the next step, went off on wrong foot so in fairness the final decision was correct.

I had some sympathy for Kirsty with the music. Even before she mentioned it. Perfect day is not Paso music!

Katie's dance was great but she will be good at ballroom and probably not Latin, mainly because that is a pretty good summary for Anton as well! 

Other than that the top of the board all the way down to Anita were very good.

Agree with your next to go list Topsec. The top eight are a cut above (Jay is one of  them although not on Saturday due to a lot of mistakes in his quickstep)

Actually don't think Jeremy Vine is a Widdy or Sergeant. better than that although not great.  The Jive was always going to be a nightmare for him with those beanstalks for legs!

Also the Pro dancers routine on Saturday was poor. More the sort of thing I would have expected from a 80s Legs and co (plus the lads) than the quality of dancers the pros are.

• This week's dances

Ainsley and Natalie are doing the Jive to Bill Haley and the Comets Shake Rattle and Roll

Anita and Gleb are dancing the Tango to Temper Trap’s Sweet Disposition

Carol and Pasha are dancing the Viennese Waltz to Seal’s I’ve Been Loving You Too Long

Georgia and Giovanni are dancing the Salsa to Sylvester’s You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)

Helen and Aljaz are doing the Quickstep to Diana Ross and the Supremes’ You Can’t Hurry Love

Jamelia and Tristan are dancing the Foxtrot to Celine Dion’s Because You Loved Me

Jay and Aliona are doing the Paso to Bon Jovi’s It's My Life

Jeremy and Karen are dancing the Waltz to Elvis Costello’s She

BBC Strictly - Katie Derham and BBC Strictly - Anton Du Beke are dancing the Salsa to Michael Buble’s It Had Better Be Tonight

BBC Strictly - Kellie Bright and BBC Strictly - Kevin Clifton are doing the Jive to One Direction’s One Way Or Another

BBC Strictly - Kirsty Gallacher and BBC Strictly - Brendan Cole are dancing the Viennese Waltz to David Gray&r

• Agree with Brooks that the pro dance at the start of the results show was a total bag of sh*te!!  Whoever choreographed that should be shot.  The celebs could have done better.

As for last week, Jamelia's best dance so far for me - Charleston really really suited her.  Shame for Jay, perhaps too much pressure (and when will Aliona just put him down and stop kissing/caressing him?!?!?!).  The right pair were in the dance off and I'm so relieved that DOD has finally gone - had to fast forward his routine as couldn't even bear to watch it!! 

So, this week, looking forward to all of it, but will be interesting to see Katie salsa - she's more ballroom than latin for me.  Really hope Kirsty and Carol have a good week - hopefully the Viennese waltz will suit them both.

• +1 for the appalling pro dance!

Thanks for the list again Brooks. I think Carol and Pasha are going to have a tough week - she never looks particularly steady and all that turning is going to be a challenge. Looking forward to Kellie and Kevin jiving - should suit them very well.

Yes - I didn't mean Jeremy was Widdi/Sargeant level with his dancing, more with the comedy approach (even if he doesn't mean to be comedic!)... I'm probably just being uncharitable though, as I dislike him so much.

• Nobody watching last night? Here's my thoughts as a total non-expert on the technical aspects of dance: 

Carol - missed it so don't know

Ainsley - clumsey and not his usual entertaining performance.

Kelly - in contrast a brilliant jive and very clever choreography from Kevin. Loved it.

Peter - One of the best rumbas I've seen from a male celeb. I normally cringe but didn't and thought it vet sweet and tender. Judges didn't like it but what do I know?

Jay - under marked. Should have been 9s all round.

Katie - not brilliant but I fear that is a reflection of Anton's own Latin ability.

Anita - brilliant Tango. Loved it.

Kirsty - best dance so far but didn't like all the faffing to start with. Brendan often guilty othat.at

Jeremy - oh dear.

Jamelia - never seems to show emotion. Very bland

Helen - she's good but for some reason I don't enjoy watching her. Don't know why!

• Watched it very late - on fast forward, except for the dancing and the marks image

Great review Soup - pretty much agree with everything you said! Great to see Jay back on form, and loved Anita and Kelly as well... those three are probably my favourites.

You're so right about Katie and Anton - in the past Anton has always been hampered by the quality of his partners (except for Laila, a situation that he managed to screw up in an entirely different way!!!) but now he's got a competent partner his Latin weakness is really being exposed.

Have had my typical nosey at the result - but will keep my mouth shut until later tonight image

• So hadn't got around to an update. I also watched on record with fast forward image

Ainsley - Well this was always going to be a challenge for him and so it proved. Also this is a good dance for Natalie and it sort of showed him up a but. Mind you I did spend a lot of the time watching Natalie rather than Ainsley but still saw enough that it really wasn't great. Again quite a big guy so was always going to be a challenge.

Anita - I really like her and think she is actually under-rated. This was a really good Tango and after the discussions about music last week managed to do a great dance to a contemporary number. I actually think she is a dark horse for this competition.

Georgia - Um. She is a good dancer and really looks the part but there is something missing somewhere which I can't quite put my finger on.  I did agree completely with Craig on the lifts though and did pick it out when she was dancing. She pretty much stopped before going into the lift and when leaving. Now they were difficult and the actual lifts were good but the hesitation was really noticeable.  I still think she could be a contender to win but needs to find something extra. Then again it is still early and that is true for all of them to some extent.

Helen - thought it was brilliant actually and don't mind Helen. I can understand where you may be coming from though Soup. I felt the same about Aby Clancy. I knew she danced well but just couldn't take to her.

Jamelia actually thought she danced it well. She did make a big mistake first time but not at all bad. She does get too emotional though which can get a bit wearing. Not sure if that is what is causing a lack of votes.

Jay - I thought this was great and they really made it work with Bon Jovi. Also thought it was under-marked. Interesting to hear Darcey say great arms because although I generally agree, I thought the judges might say he wasn't quite making the shoulders back arm shape that well.

Jeremy - Um - wasn't good really. He isn't built for dancing but not a disaster just not very good.

Katie - well pretty much the same comments as above and as I said last week. Anton is the best ballroom pro and the worst Latin. I think it is him as much as Katie. Glad she is still in though but unless she can somewhere find a way to do both styles she is going to come unstuck in a couple of weeks or so.

Kellie- wow that was fast and good and also shows what a good pro Kevin is and teacher, plus Jive is HIS dance. However she had to dance with him and she is a real contender. Although she is a bit of a squealer as well image

Kirsty/Carol - well I did say it would be interesting to see how these two with a Vienniese waltz and that really they had to do well with this.

Carol did Ok I thought. Not great but not bad.

Kirsty danced it really well. She could really do the spins and it was impressive. Has she turned a corner or was it just her dance. We will see. I knew that Len would criticise them for all the pfaffing around at the start but that is down to Brendan. You usually do that when you want to reduce the dancing time because your partner isn't very good but he should have worked out by mid-week that she could do this one

Peter - Didn't like it. But then again I really don't get the Rumba. I actually wish they would drop it from the show because it is really difficult for the women to do well and frankly impossible for the celebrity men. I started to say to the wife that I felt sorry for him getting this but then corrected myself because it was good to get it now whilst there are worse people. You wouldn't want to get the Rumba in the quarter-final!!

So Jamelia and Ainsley in the dance off and Ainsley went which was the right decision although means we lost Natalie as well.image

• Oh and two other thoughts. The pro dance was much better this week than the rubbish last week.

Not looking forward to the weekend and Halloween. The dancing always seems to take third place to costume and supposedly relevant music. Personally just never look forward to this one.

• Great review Brooks! I take it you have a dance background?

Out of the two in the dance off I do think the correct one went - but I thought Carol and Jeremy were both worse than Ainsley.

I was suitably impressed by Kellie's jive too - as good as I was expecting/hoping!

I agree about Anita - I was calling her as a dark horse contender to hubby yesterday, but he doesn't think she can compete with the previously dance trained contestants, mainly Jay and Helen. Unfortunately, he had been adversely influenced by reading James Jordan's tweets.

Taking into account dance ability, fan base, and pro-dancer popularity, I think it will be between Jay and Kellie (although, in reality, a bit too soon to call at this stage).

• a lot is made of previous dance training. It certainly helps early on but as the show progresses if you have the talent you can catch up.

Also someone like Helen did a lot of Ballet and whilst that helps in some ways it also gave her a problem because it is a different style and she had to unlearn some of the style. However she has done that and is still looking really good.

I really do think Anita could cause an upset though if she can keep improving.

No not a dance background myself but know a couple of people who do have some so have a bit of insight.

• This week's dances are

Anita and Gleb  are dancing a wicked Waltz to Once Upon A Dream by Lana Del Rey

Should be good

Carol and Pasha are dancing a rattling Rumba to I Think I Love You by The Partridge Family

Oh dear, Rumba. This could be curtains!

Georgia and Giovanni are doing a terrifying Tango to Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Junior

I would think their tango would be good. But Ghostbusters for a tango? really? I stand to be proved wrong but doesn't seem a good choice to me.

Jamelia and Tristan are dancing a jeepers-creepers Jive to The Time Warp from the Rocky Horror Picture Show

Well her Charleston was good but not sure about Jive. However Timewarp is a great choice for this. Could be fun.

Jay and Aliona are dancing a scary American Smooth to Lil Red Riding Hood by Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs

This should be a good dance for them

Jeremy and Karen are doing a spooky Salsa to Thriller by Michael Jackson

Um, well Carol and Rumba could be dodgy but so could this. I am not sure this is going to go well. Also Thriller would have been a better choice for the Tango but not sure about Salsa. Could be painful this one.

Helen and Aljaz are dancing a spine-tingling Samba to Take Your Mama by Scissor Sisters

Samba has proved to be difficult for a few and not sure about Helen in this one.Let's see but might be a difficult one for her, just a feeling though and again I stand to be proved wrong

Katie and Anton are dancing a petrifying Paso to Phantom Of The Opera by Steve Harley and Sarah Brightman

Well this is the test. It is Latin but a bit different to the others. Also that is quite dramatic music for it.  I think this is either going to be good or bad,

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Brooks the beast wrote (see)

SORRY, I'M USING BROOKS' COMMENTS AS A PROMPT image

Ainsley - Well this was always going to be a challenge for him and so it proved. Also this is a good dance for Natalie and it sort of showed him up a but. Mind you I did spend a lot of the time watching Natalie rather than Ainsley but still saw enough that it really wasn't great. Again quite a big guy so was always going to be a challenge.  Was sorry to see them go, although it was a poor jive, Ainsley just doesn't have the correct posture - he is sort of hunched over all the time - Great goodbye/thankyou speech from them both - brought a tear to my eye 

Anita - I really like her and think she is actually under-rated. This was a really good Tango and after the discussions about music last week managed to do a great dance to a contemporary number. I actually think she is a dark horse for this competition.  I don't get the undermarking that seems to be going on here; she really feels the music/dance, rarely puts a foot wrong yet gets given 8's when others are getting 9's?  I will be pretty peed off if she goes out too soon

Georgia - Um. She is a good dancer and really looks the part but there is something missing somewhere which I can't quite put my finger on.  I did agree completely with Craig on the lifts though and did pick it out when she was dancing. She pretty much stopped before going into the lift and when leaving. Now they were difficult and the actual lifts were good but the hesitation was really noticeable.  I still think she could be a contender to win but needs to find something extra. Then again it is still early and that is true for all of them to some extent. - Complete agreement.

Helen - thought it was brilliant actually and don't mind Helen. I can understand where you may be coming from though Soup. I felt the same about Aby Clancy. I knew she danced well but just couldn't take to her.  I really really like Helen and hope she is in the final, somehow she doesn't seem to be getting the public backing from what I read and I'm going to be really controversial here - could it be that she is very well spoken and people think she is 'stuck-up'?? 

Jamelia actually thought she danced it well. She did make a big mistake first time but not at all bad. She does get too emotional though which can get a bit wearing. Not sure if that is what is causing a lack of votes.  Both of these two are leaving me a bit uninterested 

Jay - I thought this was great and they really made it work with Bon Jovi. Also thought it was under-marked. Interesting to hear Darcey say great arms because although I generally agree, I thought the judges might say he wasn't quite making the shoulders back arm shape that well.  Against all my better judgement, I am warming to these two.  I have no reason to not like them though?  He will do well out of this show whether he wins or not

Jeremy - Um - wasn't good really. He isn't built for dancing but not a disaster just not very good.  Love watching these two, he just looks to be having such a good time and as many others are saying, this is what the show is about

Katie - well pretty much the same comments as above and as I said last week. Anton is the best ballroom pro and the worst Latin. I think it is him as much as Katie. Glad she is still in though but unless she can somewhere find a way to do both styles she is going to come unstuck in a couple of weeks or so.  Needs a couple of good ballroom dances so Joe Public forget

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Not really looking forward to this weekends show, I am not keen on themed weeks and all the halloween make-up and costumes I find rather distracting!  

• TopSec Re Helen.  I don't think you are being controversial on Helen. I know a few other people feel the same and if a lot of people do then that may well support your view. Which is actually a shame. I take people as I find them regardless of colour, race, background etc.Plus although Helen is very cut glass accent and a bit more reserved that others, I like her. Actually she is quite Darcey Bussell in how she comes across.

In fact isn't it great to have the home counties Helen, the Manc Georgie and the Brummie Jamelia (never realized she was that broad before) on the same show doing the same thing and actually what have their accents or background got to do with it! Also good to have Anita on from an Asian background except that is irrelevant to me as well because all I see is a Yorkie.

Also we agree on Halloween week Topsec, too much is made of the peripheral stuff. Film week I don't mind actually, but then there is generally a true musical connection. 

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

And Kirsty is Scottish - although you'd hardly tell from her accent.

• Re the comments on Helen - personally I just cannot warm to her, she's just a little bit too perfect and very insincere for me and maybe that's what others are seeing.  I think she'll struggle with the samba as she seems to be a little bit too stiff for the latin dances (I refer to her inability to 'bend her knees' - Darcy pointed this out a couple of weeks ago).  But we'll see how she goes.

I'd like to see Jamelia do well this week, if her charleston was anything to go by then she should be pretty good at this (as there can be cross over between the two dance styles), she just needs to make sure her kicks and flicks are sharp and clean and she keeps up on the timing.

Loving both Anita and Jay - they are just fabulous and really appear to have natural talent.  Gleb's choreography last week was just fantastic - it's really refreshing to see something new and a bit different.

Sad to say it but I reckon it'll be Jeremy and Carol in the dance off this week, which is a shame because I think they're both lovely, but then it is a dancing competition and not a popularity contest. 

•  Anita- Yes great dance and well marked

Carol - well I could see it coming and that was really awful. When you are not the best dancer you don't want a Rumba.

Georgia - Super Tango and although I didn't think the music helped (as I thought it wouldn't), they made it work. Said she needed to find something extra and she did this week.

Jamelia - well the judges weren't too harsh but personally I thought she was all over the place. Didn't like it at all. The music was Ok for this, could have been so much better.

Jay - Good again. Waltz based rather than Foxtrot but suited the slower paced music

Jeremy - well not a great Salsa as such but actually put something into this. The Thriller hop forward steps were actually really good. Not great but a lot better than a few others and I think he was accurately placed by the judges. 

Helen - thought this was good and a lot more movement than I thought she may get.

Katie - well said it would be good or bad and it was the latter. No real Paso in it and really quite poor.

Kellie - was a good Paso. I think they may have restricted themselves a bit on the table as well but good.

Peter was OK but just not sticking in my mind

Kirsty - another who I thought would be good or bad and again disappointingly it was bad. I think this may have been due to a lot of mistakes which gives her lots of room to improve if she is in the dance off.

If Carol is i nth dance off then she will go. If any of the other bottom five are in with anybody from the top half then they will go.

If it is two from Kirsty, Katie, Jamelia or Jeremy then it could be close particularly if is the first two of those. I think the time has come for a lady to go though..

• Thought Darcy looked bl**dy scrummy dressed as Morticia...

• Ok so Kirsty and Jamelia and perhaps no surprise Kirsty went, although she danced much better than first time. I still didn't like Jamelia's dance this time for some reason. She obviously isn't getting the votes but getting all whiney about it won't improve that situation I don't think.

Katie back in ballroom next wek so could be a big improvement from her and probably leaves Jeremy, Jamelia and Carol at the bottom again. She will need to improve next week but may do after the awful Rumba. Once these three are gone and probably Katie then it will be at the business end for this year.

• Thank god for strictly, best motivation I have to go on my turbo!