Tell me it gets easier!

Comments

• Don't know why that came out as a row of question marks! Was supposed to be a smiley!

• Soup dragons are known for being doggedly determined so you will do that 10k. I've not been around for about a year and used to mainly frequent the tri threads. I stopped running to concentrate on swimming which I'm equally crap at and amazingly managed to do a 10k swim last year. Now trying to get running again and had 2 or 3 false starts - its hard! Entered Brighton marathon next year with an aim of sub 6 hours. Don't want to peak too early lol. 

Fraggle - how you doing? 

• Oh and I was always called soupy so we can have soup and soupy. Sounds like a suspect firm of solicitors. image

• I started running 6 weeks ago, having never run other than on school sports day. My first attempt was just under a mile took me 12 mins and I thought I was going to die! Didn't walk any of it but it was so hard. My hubby was with me and said I'd run it to fast so next time he paced me and it was much better. I can now do 5k and will be doing my first park run in two weeks. I always run with a stopwatch which helps me pace myself and I can keep track of how long I'm out for. It is hard very hard but anything that's worth achieving is always going to be difficult but the end results will be amazing far more than still sitting on that sofa image 

• Well done sunny. 

• That's great on the 10K Soupy, considering it's been three years since your last one. Full of admiration that you've entered for a marathon. Plenty of time to train still I'm sure image.  I haven't even plucked up courage to do a parkrun yet, so you and Sunnysarah are miles ahead of me!

The 10k swim sounds amazing - I haven't done any swimming since school days so doubt I could do 10m  image.

Sunnysarah - well done. To run a mile without stopping on a first attempt is impressive and it sounds as if you've made great progress since! 

Fraggle - did you manage a run today?

• Two soup dragons!  You've started a trend!

Yep, I managed a run - 6.2 km so not too bad.  I don't know why I am still finding short distances hard though - I keep hearing that once you can do 5k then it's easier to get to 10k but I've not found that at all!  Even though I've done 10k I still struggle with 5k (or even less some days).  It's quite frustrating!  Surely I should be finding it all easier by now?  image

• Well done Fraggle! Don't have any experience on more than 5k so cannot really comment. Hope you get your running mojo back soon tho...
  • Hi everyone! I have had a quick read and you are doing good!  Well done Fraggle on getting past your refusal to run!

Hello to the two Soups, welcome Wwbga and Sunny Sarah.

Pez you are right about it being addictive!

I wish I had better news for you but have still not managed to get out image I did however go to watch my fiance do Abingdon Marathon yesterday.  He smashed out a PB by over 16 minutes and completed it in 3:44 I was so proud of him.

But it only depressed me more that I was falling back into no running syndrome.  I did have to run to the finish line from where I was spectating (over 1 mile) and to be fare even though I looked like I had just run the marathon whilst hobbling on my leg (I even got congratulated!!) it felt better than walking on so I am going to try and get out this week for a very light jog and see if it helps.

Keep running guys, and to those just starting out, take every run as its own run as no two will ever be the same, you will go fast and slow the next time, and faster the time after that so never take it to heart.  I have been foolish to this on many occasions and it has taken me 2 years to actually start making any progress. (And I am still only at 5K level at 36 mins.)

• Thanks for the encouragement guys. The only reason I can run 10k is that I've slowed my pace down to almost walking. I've tried going I bit faster but its not fun and I give up. My plan is to keep the slow pace (14  min miles!) For the next 2 or 3 weeks. Hopefully by then I will have naturally picked up a bit of pace then I start some speedier stuff. I hope you lot will keep me going through that, I've given up twice in the last year. It's harder than I recall!!  

Elle maybe I should aim to match your 36min 5k. I'm on about 44 right now.

• Now this is spooky. I've just clicked that the Fraggle here is not the same fraggle as elsewhere on the forum. No avatar and with a big F. Fraggle are you also fraggle of pirate status or do we have 2 of you?? Am I going mad?

• There's another one of me too?!!!  image   Are we in some kind of parallel universe?!

• Weird - when I search for myself there's a few Fraggle-related names but not mine!  Apparently I don't exist. image

• Curiouser and curiouser.  Perhaps we are in a parrellel universe and in the real one we are all speedy elite runners. Yes that's it.

• Of course.  In the real one I'm an ultra-marathon runner.  

• Hi everyone! or is it no one? I really cant tell with all these duplicates!

I would like to ditto everyone about park run, they are a fantastic way to get 'race type' experience without being a race.  There will be people of all abilities, speeds, sizes and so on.  

I have done my local one 3 times (and run the course a further once in training) the people are so supportive.

Soup I have only gone 10k 3 times, twice training and once in race.  My best time for it was 1 hour 25 something and that was walking/running.

The 5k I did in 36 mins was a fluke I think! it was the first time I had managed 5K without walking once.  My normal time before then had been between 40 and 42 minutes.

So I finally got out and run this evening, I had got really frustrated and peed off with something, always good motivation.  I ran 7k without stopping in 57:49.  My best furthest full run to date all be it a bit slow.

The first 3k were hard, and I struggled to get there, but once I had I wanted to try to get to 3.5k and then 4 and then 5.  By the time I got to 5K I was feeling good and wanted to keep going see how far I could go, by 6K I felt amazing and not only could but really wanted to keep going, however my daughter hadn't had dinner and I was looping my house in case my leg gave way and was getting bored so stopped at 7.

Am really motivated and proud of the progression.

How is everyone else doing?

http://elvaaron.blogspot.co.uk/

• Elle, there is no such thing as a fluke in running. It's a shiny pb. I love that feeling when you want to go on. Doesn't happen all the time and for me its usually when I've dragged myself out of the door thinking I'll just do a short 20 mins to say I've done something - then end up doing an hour. 

• Hello all! Good to hear some running has been done. Well done Fraggle and Elle on getting out there. Any running is good!

I don't think progress is a linear thing with this running malarkey and there will always be good days and bad days. Maybe you're both cut out to be a distance runners so will always find the first few k hard?

I had a c**p day yesterday. Missed running club on Tuesday due to work and knew they were planning to do the first ever 10k so thought I would have a go on my own. But lead legs right from the start. Had to walk after 2k which I haven't had to do for ages. Then walk-run for the next 2k and forced myself to run one further k before giving up. it did start feeling slightly better at that point though. I'm hoping I've just overdone it a bit as last week did speed work intervals with running-club on Tuesday, then I did my longest 9km+ on Thursday, and then I did speed intervals again on Sunday. Also I've been stressed and depressed and eating junk (crisps anyone?) instead of proper food, and hadn't had a drink before I went out. Excuse, excuses I know image 

Anyway, going to skip my usual run tomorrow to have a rest. Then I may run Saturday as can't run on Sunday. Then running club Tuesday. Not sure what to do Saturday - that might be up to the legs!

How's everyone doing, including my alter-ego Soupy?? image Love hearing about everyone's runs, non-runs, good or bad. 

• Elle T, that is amazing! Well done! And soupdragon, well done for keeping going out even when struggling! I did my first ever 5k on Sunday, I then went out on Tuesday and struggled to 3k but it was very slow. I was away for wed and thurs so thought if have a wee break from running, (did walk up Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh tho) and thinking I might go out again tomo (fri) I go back to work on Monday : ( so if will be back to evening runs, hoping I will keep this up when the nights get darker and horrible! Good luck to everyone who is running over te weekend! : )
  • Soup - Dont beat yourself up hun,  I was feeling exactly the same last week, it happens, you just gotta pick yourself up.  All the speed intervals you are doing as well, I cant keep up with you!! I cant run fast at all if I do I burn out in less than 0.25k and am dead for a week!! 

Wwbga - Well done on doing 5K, its an amazing feeling to get to that milestone as you feel like you have a 1st stepping stone to build from, Don't worry about Tuesday, I am exactly the same, I will do something fab and then not so great the next time, and normally I get depressed and give up and then its months before I start again.

My Advice to those starting out when you make a mile stone in distance or a PB in speed, make sure that the next time you go out you do a different route and include in it hills, gates anything that will make you mentally think I am going to be slower, not go as far because I am adding in these factors.

It works for 2 reasons, if you do come back slower/less distance you just feel good you went out and did it, you don't compare it to the previous great run.  Second reason you will probably end up doing better than you think because you are not trying to beat your previous so the mental wall doesn't strike.

I have not been out since Tuesday as have been working late but intend on going tomorrow or Sunday so will keep you updated.

• Sub hr 10k Monday including hills but calves cramped up so had to to walk twice and had rest of week off. May try park run tomorrow and a slow steady effort but wait and see
  • Well done Pez on 10K, cramp is a killer!  Did you get to Parkrun today?

I did get to my local Parkrun today (Panshanger) found it tough and did have to walk. It is mostly trail with stony hills and the last 1.5k is very uneven (and today slippery) grass and mud.  I was quite concerned id slip and was worried about my knee if I slipped and twisted it.

Having said all that I did it in 39.15 which is a pb on this course so am so happy I finally got the course under 40 mins!!

How is everyone elses weekend?

• Yeah I was one of tail runners. 41.25 so gets a run in and gets me 100 ptsimage
  • WTG! I have no idea what the points mean!  But I must volunteer soon.  Ill see how my running goes but will want to start getting much longer runs in at weekend so can do that Sundays and Volunteer Sat.  I may try alternate Long run one weekend and volunteer and then run the following and go for speed.

• I used to park run and long run on consecutive days.

Not park running next weekend so 8 to 10 mile next sunday
  • Soup dragon do you have a heart rate monitor? I found running in z2 to be very useful at getting my body to be more efficient and to help me run faster image 

I have been running since 2013 - when I started MC can tell you I ran from lamppost to lamppost then walked a bit etc everyone has to start somewhere - I am still not the fastest runner and I won't ever be image but like the meme says marathons and other events business in the front - party out the back image 

I mostly do triathlons but tried to spend this year doing just running - more or less successfully on trail rather than road - 10k, 25k and a marathon - I started 3 marathons this year (one as part of a relay team but got pulled due to hypothermia, and one at the beginning of October but managed to hurt myself - so 2 DNFs but I tried - I managed 32k in one and 30k in the other, sometimes it doesn't always go to plan!).

I think the biggest thing when you are starting out running or anything for that matter is just to try and if you fall down, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep on going.  It's a process - there are very few people who are instantaneously gifted fast runners.  

Me I am just happy there is a husband and good friends who force me to eat the chips and the cake at the end of the races image 

• Hi Buttercup. Yes I used to run with a heart rate monitor and agree that slow running can make faster. Weird but works. Now running to perceived effort, my old Garmin looks more like a sun dial compared to the new ones out now. Just back from a wonderful 6 miles. Had trouble to start with then employed a swimming focal point of keeping my breath in my belly. The moved on to relaxing my arms and step by step my shoulders dropped from around my ears. I could have gone on and on. Really in the zone. No walking breaks just a good steady pace. Loved it. image

• Hi guys

Soupy - that 6 miles sounded fantastic. I find too that once into it and at a steady pace, I feel I could keep going (until I hit a slight incline that is image). I'll keep those tips in mind though (not that I know anything about swimming) - the breathing from the belly and relaxing all sound good though.

Pez, well done on your 10k and keeping going even with cramp.

wwgba - congrats on your first ever 5k! It's a great feeling isn't it? 

I just did a gentle 5k-ish on Sunday and was relieved to find the legs felt better and not lead-like. Took it easy though. Beginners' running club tonight and it will be the first time starting in the dark since clocks went back. No idea what is planned, but hoping the legs will be okay.

How was everybody else's weekend running?

Soup

• Brilliant work folks, just reading the posts over the last couple of days, this doesn't sound like the beginners forum to me!  Such great efforts at 5 and 10K image