Snowdonia Marathon 2015

Comments

• Well done all, some excellent performances. Unlike 2013 I didn't have the legs to keep running all the way up the Bwlch but just about had enough time in the bank to finish in 3:57. I'll take that - legs are probably as shot as they've ever been after an event and it's now Sunday morning.

Next time I'll bring a tea tray for that Cresta Run section at the top...

Oh and let me add my massive thanks to organisers, marshals, supporters et al, couldn't do it without them.
  • Had a go at T-Rex's 4:26:59 plan, followed it religiously, but cramp in the left calf hit, and failed. 4:27:24, so a 25 second slip. Enjoyed they day though
  • Had a brilliant day in Snowdonia. Bit worried about the weather at the start but took a punt to wear the vest, albeit aided by arm warmers. Still had to wrap up in the poncho and an added bin bag for the walk and the first two miles. 

Enjoyed the walk and the atmosphere at the start although probably left a bit late. Had a slow start with a bit of weaving, but I think an easy beginning in a marathon can be beneficial. Enjoyed the closed road up to Pen y pass - great sight with all the runners. But did keep thinking 'bloody hell - hardest opening 4.5 miles ever'!

Loved the open and dramatic views on the descent, although did politely pick a bloke up on dropping a wrapper - no need and poor form unless you are near a bin, marshal etc. The 8M descent was epic! Greater technicality than I'd bargained for but it lasted  so long. Seemed to overtake repeatedly, but was a bit concerned about the quad damage that would be building. 

The second climb was shorter but with a less obvious top seemed to go on a little. Enjoyed the lakeside views and support in Bedgellert. The runners had thinned out a lot by mile 19/20 so enjoyed chatting to a chap from White Rock Runners. 

The final climb was brutal. Started OK in Waunfar, but when you turn right in the village it gets ridiculously steep! Told myself I wouldn't walk so slowly trudged up. Quite a few runners passed me only to slow to a walk moments later. The weather had really brightened up by this point. Even some blue sky! Beautiful views back out to the see and some dramatic mountains if you glanced behind. About mile 23 the conditions underfoot rapidly deteriorated. Having sidesteps small puddles for the last three hours I found myself ploughing through muddy lakes. Brilliant to finally make the top although the short bit of the descent that was on the grass was very slippery. Saw that my watch said 7:29 average and realised that a 7:27 would give me 3:15. The battle was on! Felt renewed back on the road and, spurred on by seeing wife and in laws, overtake about ten people. Magical moment running down the home straight - even had it to myself. Delighted to finish in 3:14:18. 

What a race! Loved it. It was nice to feel no real time pressure - although of course this is always self imposed anyway. Really enjoyed just looking at HR on watch and not worrying about Mike splits (until the very end when at least). Beautiful views, friendly people and a brilliant blend of the personal yet also a big race feel. I would love to do it again and would recommend it to anyone. It's been good to follow everyone's advice on this thread - hope everyone had a great day. 

• Great running Sorequads image Must have been a few of us running very close to eachother at points in the race, I was wearing a white vest with a red and black diagonal stripe ( Port Talbot Harriers) I have a very odd running style, no upper body movement and a definite shuffle image

• Haha I felt like I was shuffling too! I was in a blue best, black cap, long black socks and black/red arm warmers. Well done on a great time. A box of Heroes has just been destroyed in front of the rugby.
  • Yes, a big thanks thanks to all the marshals and organisers. The organisation could not be faulted. All the supporters too who turned up despite the unappealing weather in the first half. A very efficient, inclusive and welcoming event all round image

Thanks too to to T Rex whose pacing tips were most helpful. Despite being 2 minutes over my goal time (4h59) this was 19 minutes better than 2013

• Great running sorequads! Very impressive!

Are there any photos up of the rsce yet? Can't imagine mine are gonna be very pretty!!
  • Great running everyone and another great day running round the mountain image  Decided to run this one to "enjoy" it and purposefully left my watch in the car.  Other than a rough patch (feeling very sick) just before Waunfawr, I felt that I'd paced things pretty well and finished in 4:48:49 .... just 3 minutes off my last (very stressy) run two years ago image

Thought the organisation was as excellent as ever and traffic management seemed a lot better this year.  The marshals and support round the course were fab and personally, I love the new tech tee (my XS fits fine) as I never wore the old cotton ones and can wear this with some pride image

If you're reading this, thanks JC for giving me the chance to run this year.  Hope you get to run next year and I can definitely recommend the Travelodge at Llandudno, if you're looking for somewhere to stay image

• My better half has just shouted at me for not mentioning that she was 1st F45 and 7th woman overall image

• Where's the 2016 SNOD thread!?
  • Hi all. Some great running from fellow forumites. Just also to echo what others have said about the brilliant marshals all around the course. Their support and those of local people really kept me going.

as for my race a night mithering about the hills alone in a my Caernarfon B&B and the terrible weather when I set off in the am probably helped me in a way if that doesn't sound contrary. I actually found the Pen-y-Pass tough but better than I thought. Took it very steady and felt ok. Same with the hill after Beddgelert. Good chatting to a top bloke from Swansea from mile 14 until Waunfawr which really helped. He was running in memory of his Dad and that got me thinking of my reasons for running and that focused me again nicely. Was expecting to walk all of the last hill but ended up running it all as I felt Ok probably due to my steady start. The descent was really tricky. Legs locked and I found it very hard to run at all. Managed a sprint finish into Llanberis and finished in 4:05 and promptly burst into floods of tears (apologies to any one who witnessed that!).

a fantastic experience and one I'll always remember. Too early to say if I'll ever run it or anything similar (esp with the way my legs are feeling) but knowing the route now it would be interesting to see if I could crack 4hrs (a drier descent might help).

Just had a call from my Dad. Apparently the race tracker thing for me had me stopped at 23 miles so he was worried until I texted to say I'd finished. Still he said he was proud of me and that means the world

• Anyone located any photos yet?

should be some here but search draws blankimage

http://www.sportpicturescymru.co.uk/pages/gallery/snowdonia-marathon.php

• Sports Pictures have the finish ones up at the moment, link on bottom of home page and there are some more here on Facebook coming off Pen y Pass 

https://www.facebook.com/TALPhoto

• this thread has been incredibly helpful - I've not posted much but have found all the tips and advice really useful

It was my 4th snowdonia marathon and after 4 months of 20 miles a week training I got a pb, 16 mins faster than last yr, finishing in 3.58. Apart from slow start which helped finding a few people to run with at a decent pace was a lifesaver. Every year I've had long chats with other runners on the way round, one of the things that makes this race such a special event.

By 17/18 miles I was ready to take a break but having some company kept me going. I walked two short sections up from Waunfawr had a few more chats with other runners between 23-24m and hobbled down the other side

Can't wait for next year's race and maybe a flatter marathon somewhere else to try and get under 3.15 with a bit more training. Well done everyone!

• Woohoo! Snowdonia Marathon finisher!

Amazing race, amazing experience, amazing weekend. Weather didn't bother me at all in the end and I'm sure the Snod regulars would say it was quite tame compared to previous years. Seemed like every runner I spoke to had run it at least half a dozen times before whereas it was my first time.

Started quite far back to ensure I reined it in the first few miles plus I had the boost of overtaking a lot more than I was being overtaken. Waving frantically at the camera's in the first couple of miles worked and got a close up shot of me and another Cwm Ogwr runner on the S4C highlights program. The incline to Pen y Pass was manageable without really considering a walking break. Loved the downhill / off road section and felt awesome during the next few miles. Lots of club supporters as well as local support in Beddgelert. The lesser of the three hills in the middle was not to be underestimated and seemed to go on forever.

Really struggling at mile 17 but managed to keep going and made it about a third of way up the final hill before finally walking. By this point I knew my target of 4:30 was going to be beaten even if I walked the final 4 miles. Managed to keep the walking breaks down to about 0.5 of a mile in total so didn't lose a huge amount of time. In fact, T-Rex's sub 4:30 plan suggested 14 minute miles which was around what I did for those 2 uphill miles. The couple of inches of water covering most of mile 24-25 was a bit of a shock but by this point nothing could dampen my spirits. Bit conservative at first on the descent and then decided to just go for it.

Target time 4:30. Actual time 4:12:37. Absolutely over the moon.

Well done to everyone that ran and massive thanks to everyone on this thread for the advice and support.

• I am glad I was not the only one whose chip had teething problems.

My finishing time by what I can remember when crossing the line was 5-52 or there a outs.

The chip clearly picked me up as starting,reaching Pen Y Pass, what happened in Beddgelert is anyone's guess, and then half way up Bwlch Y Groes I can distinctly asking had my chip been recognise, he said it had, and indeed it had.

Maybe my sprint finish at the end was too quick for the equipment to register, but finishing my 21st Snowdon was a relief.

Coughing and spluttering from Beddgelert, it was a relief to finish it this year, but In all those years, the organisation and public encouragement, especially with the numerous jelly babies and toffees handed out, made the race stand out as being pretty special.

As for the new design on the coaster, new after twenty three years of the old familiar picture, who ever came up with that one, should be excused duty next year.

Designing a picture for a piece of round slate, and capturing the mood and atmosphere of stunning Snowdonia cannot be that difficult, but when I examined this years object, I thought, What a shame, and no I am not proud of having it in my special coaster box.

Running with a cold, and off not that much training, I was relieved to finish this years race, and what were the chances of finishing between a woman athlete who was finishing their 24th race this year, and the one behind her, their 22.

Really looking forward to next years event, but let's hope this years slate design is a mistake, and it's back to normal next year.
  • I had a good run, strolled home in 5.07, a 29 min PB. Also a half marathon PB of 2.14. The last 5 miles were worse than I anticipated, nearly fell several times. Managed a sprint finish, so there's more there. I wasn't expecting a sub 5, but I'm gutted I didn't do it now. I would have got one with more hill training.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Would have started the 2016 thread earlier but was otherwise engaged, mainly in the pursuit of staying asleep until the hangover had passed, or at least until it was acceptable to start drinking again. Weekend of watching rugby with some of my old team mates.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Still In Llanberis at the moment after another brilliant SNOD marathon and two strenuous ascents of Snowdon on Sunday and Monday.

Great to see no one complaining about the weather or conditions!!  They are all part of this race and it wouldn't be the same without a bit of adversity.

Good times being posted at or nearabouts to target times.

My time was 4:12:24 so very near to you, legend777!  I couldn't quite keep up the necessary pace at any point of the race (except for two crazy miles of 7:11 and 7:21 at 6 and 7) for my 3:58 target.  My 20-miler last Tuesday was more my 'race' than on Saturday, and I didn't have the energy or focus to push any harder.

Glad if my pacing ideas worked for some folks.  I'll tweak them on the basis of this year's run and see what I can come up with.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Having great camaraderie (note sp.) here at the forum house and also quite a good session at The Heights Saturday evening, but where were you all??  I managed to arrive, after a slightly later evening meal than anticipated plus a dog walk needing to be done first, about 1915.  jason d. and I were the last to leave about 0050 after lights had gone out and we were drinking up in the light of my headtorch.  Resourceful, eh?

Most of the usual suspects were there but some new faces would have been good as well.  In particular sorry not to see Fenland Runner at any point.  I called in at The Heights at about 1515 and nothing resembling a 100 Mara Club presentation was happening, nor at about 1545 when McHilly looked in.  So, hope it all went well for you, mate.

Single and double SNOD threads have started for 2016, so it will be over to them at some point.  Take your pick!

Any more stories would be great to read.  This event seems to inspire runners more than most and it's certainly one I intend doing every year.  We'd better be pretty sharp about entering as soon as the strains of Auld Lang Syne have died away ...

• Anyone know how to watch the highlights on any kind of catch up?

• catch up also available on BBC  iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0356z6n/marathon-eryri-2015

Great to see John Bach, Ultra Disco Stu, Run Jono, Brer and TRex at the finish image

well done every Snodder - you're all amazing!

• Well done folks. Some great running and tales from another beautifully wet day in the mountains. I fell some way short of my target finishing in 3.45. Was sluggish up the pass but made up the time on the way down to Beddgelert but struggled on the climb out the other side and again at Waunfawr. Great fun splashing down to Llanberis with the choice of trail shoes being vindicated. 

So 10th SNOD in the bag and will definitely be back for more in 2016.

• Thanks for the iplayer link - look forward to showing the family tonight 

• Hey Snodders,bit late in catching up on news.Internet access rubbish around here(still in deepest,darkest Waunfawr) As ever,a fantastic day,didn't do a great time 4:12:58 but knew that this was going to be the case.The 78 marathons in 18 months have caused many niggles so was just happy to get round. Glad everyone had a fab day and came in safely.same time,same place in 2016.. bring it on !!!
  • Oops..see you on Saturday LG for the Halloween marathons!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You weren't far behind me then, brer.  With the help of trail shoes I managed to  descend quite quickly (and stay upright).  Sorry not see you or buy you a drink.  You're an inspiration.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I thought I was going to be saying that that was a mishap-free SNOD but alas now cannot.

All packed up and ready to load car, but Mrs T Rex couldn't find the her key which is the only one we have.  After a massive search it has proved to be lost and we are stranded in Llanberis.  image 

Trying to get things sorted and sent T Rex jnr and his friend home on the train.

That doesn't necessarily mean I'm going up Snowdon any more times ...