Bristol to Bath Marathon 2015

Comments

• 3:25 - 30 seconds off a pb which I'm well chuffed with given the hills. I thought the big hills were fine - it was the constant little ones that killed me. Completely agree with Ian that the last couple of miles just seemed to go on (and up) for ever! Probably do it again at some point though.

• That hurt. 4:34 nonetheless - a 13 min improvement on my first marathon in Paris. I now know what is meant by the term 'digging deep'. Ya bugger! I agree about the last few miles. It wasn't so much the hills as their effects on the final half hour or so. Beautiful stunning scenery though. Never again! (Until the next time!)
  • Hi all - and well done all!!!  I managed 3:58:52 and I am absolutely ecstatic with that as I never thought I would ever go sub 4 on any marathon.  Smashed 24 minutes off my PB.  However, my god wasn't that a rough course.  I couldn't believe it.  never again image But what a day.  Support was immense

• I never even raised my arms at the finish. I went off a bit quick and did well for 20 miles but my legs seized and when we had to turn just after old field park gois school with three to go the fight went out of me. Hope all the people with the St. John's ambulance were ok,
  • I can't believe the PBs! I have never had that pain in my legs before! I too am saying never again but have to say it was probably up there with the best of them.... for scenery, spectators, organisation. Great start and finish areas. I did a respectable time.....my PB is Manchester 3 45 and I did 3 57 today.
  • Ps was the last mile only a mile?? It seemed an age from mile 25 marker to entrance to park and then there was another hill ( only small tho!)

Tom13: you gotta do it!!
  • So true Bev! I didn't even see the mile 24, 25 or 26 markers, but I also missed my wife at the finish, so maybe I was a bit oblivious by then!
  • I hada great day. Really really enjoyed it. Like others have said I ran all the big hills but had to walk a couple of the short-but-steep ones in the last few miles. I was chasing the 5 hour pacers all the way, finally caught them at the top of Kelston Hill, and overtook them in the last few miles. Came in in 4:56:54 - a PB by 29 minutes.

Support was much better than I thought it was going to be, route was much prettier than I thought - only downside was that the St John's Ambulance people didn't have any vasaline for the dreadful chafing my top gave me ( ow!)
  • I enjoyed that immensely.  Beat my PB from London 3 years ago by two minutes. 

I'll be back next year and with better hill training.

• My first marathon and absolutely loved it! Bath was stunning in the sunshine and the support incredible. Pleased with 3:55 as a first attempt
  • Hi all what a day, that was one hell of a tough course like everyone else thought those last few miles was as tough as they come there were more little hills than I thought???? I've only done one marathon before and it was flat so to come in today at 2:59:03 was really satisfying...

Glad everyone else seemed to enjoy....
  • Forgot to mention and thank all the amazing support from start to finish..,
  • THAT REALLY WAS AN EXPERIENCE, MY FIRST MARATHON AND CAME IN AT 5 HOURS 14 MINS, REALLY CHUFFED WITH THAT , NOW TIME TO REST UP, WHAT A DAY

• I think that was a pretty good attempt for a first running of a marathon 

well marshalled , road closures very effective and great support on the route...........weather probably helped..well supported by st johns....

Good course..definitley a course of 2 halves...flat first and underlating second......

room for improvement

Would of liked a tshirt when you are paying such an expensive entry fee but medal was good......

better signage at the finish to the bags, toilets and buses.......

better briefing to the pacers...if you have pacers then they should be at least be running for the guys they are running...not just for fun..... to start your pacing flag at the wrong pen so that only those who notice and go to a faster pen is not a great idea as it will encourage people in future to ignore the pens.........and also meant that those in the correct pens wouldnt actually of seen the pacers for the entire race as they would have crossed the starting line about 4 minutes after the pacers,....

and I do wish that those who like to wear headphones would only wear one.......there were numerous ambulances on the course and so we had to shout to runners to go to the left or the right.....to hear the shouts isnt easy with 2 headphones  

• Anyone know total elevation yesterday??
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Wow, sounds like it was a brutal second half of the race! Well done one and all-excellent achievements across the board. Glad to hear how well organised and supported the event was and having run the Bristol half this year I'm not surprised because that was excellent!

I will be running first Marathon in April-Manchester (pancake flat) and will probably enter this one for a bit of a challenge/contrast for the Autumn.

Hope you all recover well!

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Want a great day - I finished on 3:30:18 which was almost 5 minutes faster than target and was my first marathon. I honestly thought that I was gonna have to stop after Kelston as the cramp was setting in but I managed to hold it at bay!

As others have said the hills after Kelston were horrible because my legs had gone at that point but somehow managed to keep going. Probably because of the support and seeing family in the last few miles - was all very emotional!

Well done everyone.

Flat marathon for my second one though!
  • Go Joe my Garmin reckons 1,529ft elevation gain and 1,437ft elevation loss. Quads=ouch.
  • seren nos - the 5 hour pacers that I had my eye on started towards the back - must have been the faster ones? Bit naughty to start in the wrong pen, but the signage to the pens was poor tbh.

As well as shouting about ambulances, I was annoyed that I would chat to someone, only for them to ignore me because they were "plugged in". I was running by a chap wearing a Welsh flag running top when someone at the side of the road stated singing the Welsh national anthem to him. Did the runner acknowledge this? No - he had headphones in. Sigh.

Oh and am I the only one who doesn't like the medal? Very corporate - could have been from anywhere. What about having the Clifton suspension Bridhe and the Royal Crescent on it?
  • Oh - but I loved how quickly I got a text message with my official chip to chip time in!
  • Well I haven't the slightest twinge or niggle today so I obviously didn't try hard enough!! DOMS tomorrow?
  • Forgot to say yesterday about all the great support in Bristol and Bath. Very much appreciated. I'm still not doing it again though image
  • Well I've already pre-registered for next year...

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

I'm definitely not doing it again even though the crowds were fantastic and it was a brilliant experience.

Dreading the Tuesday DOMS

• Heidi Barr: thanks very much for your reply. That's insane amount of elevation, found it really hard to walk down the stairs this morn lol!!!

Great day tho, but wouldn't fancy doing those hills again...
  • and yes the support  remains the best thing of the day to me  image

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    I thought the support in the villages between Bristol and Bath was amazing. I expected a lot of people in the 2 cities but I didn't expect anything like what I saw in places like Hanham, Longwell Green, Willsbridge, Bitton, Kelston etc. I was really blown away by how many had come out. I think there was one point in Willsbridge where I couldn't see where to run there were so many spectators around. Fantastic stuff.
  • Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

I know the bit you mean AWC it was like the Tour de France with spectators everywhere. Fantastic organisation and great route in Bristol and Bath, but those hills... one and out for me.

• My Runkeeper notched 2521ft elevation...... is that up and down or just up??