Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Stevie, I guess as you got up to 8 miles previously you've some experience of aching before to some extent? There is a big difference between aching and hurting, I think that's where I would draw the line between running and resting. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • Yes, its definitely aching. I can put up with it, jsut hope if I go out tonight I don't struggle! When i came off the beach unto the boardwalk and evetually the tarmac I felt as if I was running on velvet, it felt so good! Anyway, I'll give it a go, I got good big leg muscles so they should cope with the pain! Thanks for your reply.

• Finished reading "Running Crazy" today. A nice book about people who have run 100+ Marathons. I would never dream of doing what most of them have done but have one thing fory bucket list. The Brathay 10 in 10 in the Lake District. 10 marathons in 10 days around Lake Windermere. Maybe my 50th birthday? Gives me some years to get plenty of marathons under my belt.
  • Bit better again today, only felt like a 10 a day smoker. Nice easy 5k along the lanes. Genuinely felt a little easier although my legs are aching. Had a good stretch. Have a good weekend all.

Oct - 5.11

2015 - 816.21

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    Nice bucket list choice JR - I'll have to think of one for my 60th - although I'd like to point out I have almost a decade to prepare for it!

Feeling pretty awesome - ran a parkrun pb of 26:55 today - had set myself the target of 8:50 splits and 8:40 if I was feeling good - ran 8:42 8:40 8:40 and 7 something for the last bit! That's almost 4 minutes off since my first one in July and put me at 63% on age grading which I'll take for now image
  • Due to so much sport with the kids I didn't run at the weekend. I did manage a run straight after work today though, really enjoyed it. image 3.4 miles @ 9:30, nice and comfortable.

Nice running Janey, great splits. Running consistent splits is the way to pb. 

I was thinking of my 50th for the 10 in 10 so a decade to prepare image

Oct - 8.5

2015 - 819.6

• Did my 'dry run' for the race I'm doing this Saturday. The run is 4 miles  of tarmac 2 miles of board walk 1 1/2 miles of hard pack sand and around  3/4 mile of stoney ground. I did this in a time of 1:28:16, which although is slow is a bit faster than my previous effort a few years ago over the same course. Although my legs are still quite stiff and sore, should I think about doing some short Hill sprints. Just enough to keep muscles from tightening up,but dont want to do too much before race day. I'm hoping to get round the course inside 1:20:00, am I being realistic or is the difference too much? There will be pacers in the race for the first time.

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    Hi Stevie, if your legs are sore go easy - nothing you do between now and Saturday will affect what you do apart from maybe some easy running with a few strides to keep things loose. You might well run the course faster than in training as we all tend to go much faster in races. Sounds like a hard course! Best of luck with it and let us know how it goes.

JR you are such a spring chicken!

Lovely run along the river yesterday - 5.5 miles meant to be an easy run but decided not to check the garmin at all and just run by feel - ended up doing splits at around 9:40 - apparently easy should be around 11 according to my 10k time! Whoops! Felt great though. Have embarked on a new strategy anyway - just 3 runs a week but make them all quality ones with a couple of x training sessions. Hopefully avoid injury this way and give me ample recovery between runs. That way I can allow myself to push harder which appears to be my natural inclination!
  • Stevie, I would do nothing other than short, easy running between now and the weekend. As Janey says a few strides at the end of an easy run will help. Good luck with the run, have a good warm up and start easy, finish strong.

Thank you Janey, I'd love to keep running into my later years and I know plenty of people who have improved well into later life as they took the sport up late, hope I can do the same for a while yet.

I too ran by feel tonight, dropped my daughter at the rugby club and did a loop just short of 5 miles. It had one hellish hill tat forced me into a walk near the top but the views were worth it. 500 feet of climb in under 5 miles isn't bad! 

Oct - 13.27

2015 - 823.83

• Welcome Stevie Max, and Hi JR Jayney, you all seem to be getting on so well

I have to face it after only 2 runs after the GSR I am suffering with my foot - brief description

Pain in my foot (sole) came on suddenly when my old shoes had worn quite bad (done over 500 and I normally change after 500) and is continuing although I have replaced shoes (same brand model but later version) Pain is actually on the right heel (at the inside edge) where it touches the floor and there is one spot where it seems worse and is painfull when I push the area with my finger. Pain goes ...into the arch and is there when I walk. Running its not in fact painfull, but when I stop it can be agony. I cant really afford to go to a physio and will have to self treat, also wondering if the style of shoes I am wearing (support) could be causing, I haven't had a gait analysis for about 10 years at least when I was recommended the Mizuno Inspires I wear now. Pain is there all the time even when I walk and have to try to keep heel off the floor, especially after a run. I hardly ever get injured and this is so damn frustrating

Anyone had anything similar, could it be PF or something more serious, I should go to a physio but may have to rely on the good old NHS as a last resort

Sorry to come here and have a moan about myself, a bit selfish I know but but its dragging me down

-

• 330, feel your pain, being injured is so frustrating. Unfortunately there's nothing worse than self diagnosis, I know you don't want to hear that but you really sound like you need proper advice. Get yourself on the NHS waiting list now, don't know about you but down here it's 6-8 weeks to be seen. Is there a running club near you? Maybe someone within the club would see you a bit cheaper than an office based Physio? Or a local football club? Fingers crossed for you mate, hope its sorted soon.
  • Nice peaceful 5k along the canal today with Mrs JR. 

Oct - 16.37

2015 - 826.93

• JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

330 really sorry to hear that - but you are not being selfish coming on here - that is exactly what we are all here for - the highs and the lows. It helped me enormously being able to post when I was injured and frustrated and you must do the same. I found it also motivated me reading about everyone's runs. I agree with JR that self diagnosis can be a dangerous game, but I also appreciate that it costs silly money to get professional help - although sometimes it's worth an initial investment just to get on the right track. With regards to what it might be - I was told years ago that I need a shoe for over pronators but when I started again this year and my foot kept swelling up it was because those were now completely the wrong shoe and I needed neutral (and an orthotic). Gait analysis might be a good place to start as things do change - I know you have just bought shoes but it might be that you can get an over the counter orthotic if you need to make any small changes. Boots have a good range. I really hope you get it sorted soon so you can build on your success at the HM.

Lovely hilly 5.25 miles for me today - 10 min/miles average and under that on the hills! I reckon the cup of strong coffee I had with breakfast certainly helped and I might try it on all my runs!

Hope you're all having a good weekend.

• I often have a coffee an hour before a run Janey, did today too. I also had my porridge. Ran a nice easy 10k around the lanes, average 10:13 per mile. Will start going a little further Sundays from now on.

Oct - 22.57

2015 - 833.13

• Nice easy couple of miles after work today, more tomorrow. 2.62m done.

Oct - 25.19

2015 - 835.75

• Only me !!

Well its definetly PF had it confirmed been advised to stretch and stretch (its mild at the moment apparently)

Havent run for a week and its so bloody frustrating !!! That half was meant to be my springboard for better things. Thinking about it I hadn't done much longer stuff before with only one eight mile run and one 10 in the last month before the half.

I am going to get a gait analysis done, theres a store in town does it Run 4 It. I am going to try a small run Saturdayimage

• 4.67 miles tonight. My eldest boy had rugby training so went on a loop around town.

Hope things settle down 330, don't rush it.

Oct - 29.86

2015 - 840.42

• I swear once this injury has cleared up I am never goint to take this sport for granted again!!!!!
  • 5 gentle miles around the lanes with Mrs JR after work. Dynamic stretches beforehand and static afterwards. I have been really keeping up with my stretching 330, it most certainly helps. Going to add a little strength work through the winter too.

Oct - 34.86

2015 - 845.42

• Am stretching a lot to JR hoping it will help and it is

• Good man 330, stretching can be such a chore and time consuming but its worth it. I wish I'd paid more attention to one or two niggles before my marathon, a bit of stretch and strength would have helped I'm sure. I've ignored so many little things and lived to regret it. Always better to have some time off early rather than more time off later on. I am also guilty of not making the most of time off and taking the "rest" a bit too far. Hope you're back real soon bud.
  • Thanks JR. I think I maytake next week as well and not come back to soon. Start afrezh in November
  • Just under 6.5 miles today. Nice and slow, felt pretty good. Should be left with a target of just under 150 miles for Nov and Dec to hit my 1000 mile target for the year. I will give it a good go being this close.

Oct - 41.30

2015 - 851.86

• Hello All!

Found this thread and looked like a good place for me to start!

Due to health reasons been away from running for about 6 months. Finally starting to feel better and want to get back out there.

Previously regularly ran 3-4 times per week, and completed a half marathon early this year. Used to think nothing of going out for 8-10 miles on a Sunday, but the thought of starting again from scratch is worrying me....

Anyone offer some advice.?

• Hello!

The title of this thread is so apt!

After years of running, I stopped a year ago, a hip injury for me and my dog had an operation on her cruciate ligament (she is my running companion).

My dog's vet and physio say the best way to strengthen her leg is to take her running on the lead, off road.  There is my incentive and push!

I feel the same as Naomi worried, it is going to be hard and will the injuries come back.

My dog had to start off with walking and short spells of running, so that's what we are doing.  We have been going for a couple of weeks now and yes it is hard and yes I can feel the hip twinging.  Watching my dog for lameness and massaging her muscles is making me pay attention to me a bit more and doing more stretches, something I was never very good at.

I did need a push to get out there but now the endorphins are starting to kick in which means I want to get back out there, which always helps.

The dog is already a lot fitter than me!

• Hi Naomi, I guess you may not need to go right back to the beginning but maybe start off with 10-20 minutes easy running 3 -4 times a week and build from there? You have experience so listen to your body and go with that? Let us know how you get on and welcome to the thread.
  • Hi Debbie, welcome to the thread also. Just take it easy and keep stretching. Good to hear you're using walk breaks, a great way to avoid overdoing it and also to stay out longer. I love off road running, keep us posted with your progress.
  • Welcome Debbi and Naomi !!

JR - Have been stretching and then stretching some more - also avoiding walking barefoot at home

Its a pain and seems like "is it worth it"? Answer ? "Yes" !! My foot feels 90 % better than it did but stretching continues

I want to get out but may wait another couple of days as have read horror stories of people with PF. But raring to go never taking running for granted again, three more half lined yp in coming year and after that who know, marathon? maybe? Loch Ness if I do one

• That's the spirit 330, and well done on holding off. Hope it goes well when you return.

Went for an easy 5k after work, pitch black by the time I finished. Head torch required from now on.

Oct - 44.40

2015 - 854.96

• What a weekend of running on TV

Great South Run, highlights of Yorkshire Marathon and highlights of Snowdonia (even if it was on SC4 and commentary in Welsh !!)

Snowdonia - what a tough race, but looks brilliant but something I think you need to do in a group for support