Sub 3:30 Gingermagic: #Irunsuccess

Comments

• 100% positive is the only way to be be! You'll get there. You know it doesn't take too long to get that fitness and endurance back once you've had it before. Plus it sounds like you really want it. I'm not in the best shape either right now but we've got about 6 months to get there. Plenty of time! image

I'll be speaking to Angela shortly so I'll have an idea of what lays in store later! 

• Sad to see the asics comp isn't running this year - is it the end of it for good do we think?

At least you're here, GM, to carry on the marathon dreams.  Good luck to you.  I'll be following but not joining in as am 19 weeks pregnant.  I know I'll be sad come Spring not to have a marathon to train for so will have to enjoy your journey instead.  The goal for me is just to keep running for as long as possible.

• Ruffles - Then you've got the joys of juggling child care, just so you can get out for a run image

• Hi Ruffles!

Firstly congratulations that's great news. Well, I hope this kind of helps with the envy towards people running Spring marathons. Spring 2017 though!? You'll be back. Hopefully it's a bit of a sabatacle for the Asics comp and it'll be back next year.

I was overtaken by a bloke pushing his toddler round in one of those 'running buggies' at Frankfurt on Sunday. He looked fresh as a daisy, I was hanging. His lad looked happy as well!

Spoke to Angela a wee while back there and I'm even more excited and up for the work ahead now. My experience of coaching in the past has already been surpassed in a half hour conversation with Angela. I'm not giving her the easiest of tasks with having an ultra in January to contend with. image

• Thanks Sean and GM.  I regularly get overtaken at Parkrun by buggy runners.  They're my new idols!

• Hello All!  Wow, this thread is really taking off! 

Must be the ginger solidarity!!! For anyone wondering, my Dad was the ginger one... and the thing that attracted my mother to him was his hair!!! (not many gingers in Nigeria, so I guess he looked exotic!).  Anyways, wonderful conversation with GM earlier, which I will summarise later!  

Rather excitingly I signed up 2 new coaching clients today as well, and as such have been rather busy getting them onboarded, and am myself preparing a quick dinner now before heading out for a nighttime trail run with headtorch!! 

Will catch up properly later on this evening image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruffles - massive congratulations! That's brilliant news - really pleased for you image

I haven't heard anything about whether this is the end for Target 262. I know that RW would love to do it again.

We could always start a 'Bring Back 262' campaign image 

I think there have been other sponsors in the past but Asics have been brilliant over the time they've been involved.

Angela - excellent news on the new clients! Have a great run.

Great to hear that the two of you have spoken. Looking forward to training getting under way image

Mr P - I do feel for you. It's the worst thing being sidelined but you can get this sorted and be back in time to train for the spring. 

• image Yes seeing consultant on Friday week, I 've pulled out of the club ballot, but if there's a spare place untaken I could have a go I think.  I haven't entered my normal half in Jan but I think I can do the Feb one. Of course if the consultant says I don't need surgery I'll crack on.

Interestingly though, after a few weeks of rest, I'm surprised how sore some parts still are - definitely giving me an insight into how things change as you get older.

Enough of that anyway, really looking forward to seeing how Ginger's plan looks image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Is the bar open? Mine's a white.....

• if anyone knows of  a mentor for a sub 3:50 attempt let me know  image  image

• Minni, if you're having a wine. I'll have a Weissbeer. image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Just go for 3:30 Seren and allow yourself a 20 min buffer! image

Minni - lol image  

Can of Top Deck for me! image

• We don't do cocktails Malcs! image

I think once things get started for real I'll be going dry-ish until April. With maybe a wee break at Christmas.

• GM - Nice cold Guinness for me please image

Angela - How did the evening trail run go? I did an interval session tonight, but always find it a bit of a struggle running after tea, even though it was 3 hours later.

If anyone's interested, possibly Mr Puffy, it was beef stew and dumplings.

• Lovely chat with GM this afternoon.  As we all know, his goal is Sub 3:30 in Manchester Marathon April 2016.

We did what I usually do when starting with a new client, and had an initial goal setting session where we set expectations, and determined any barriers that may stop GM achieving his goal.

So, the few things that we need to crack:

1. Undertrained for his most recent marathon on Sunday meant a time of 4:24, which did not feel easy.  This was due to his recent wedding and honeymoon (congratulations!), so now that’s done with, he can focus on his training, especially with the RW forums watching.

2. ULTRAs - GM still has another trail marathon to complete this year, as well as an ultra in January, and the very long TP100 at the end of April.  His plan, therefore, will not be like the typical marathon plan - he will need quite a bit of work on endurance/time on feet, moreso than the typical speedy marathon.

3. In Manchester this year, he had a pretty good run, until the wheels fell off somewhat around 21 miles.  Until then, he was on target for his sub 3:30, so to lose out by just 5 minutes suggests we need to work on fuel and mental strength and resilience.

A conventional training plan would not consider having a 45 mile race in January and a 100 mile race after the marathon to consider, however, given that GM’s ‘A’ goal is the Manchester Marathon, we just need to put these other races in the right context.  And I urge him to read my article on ‘A Races’

The second major concern, is the gap in fitness now, to where he needs to be for a 3:30 marathon.  Essentially 55 minutes need to be taken off his recent time.  His cardiovascular fitness will come back in time with consistent training.  We can help this with muscular strength and endurance, and as such, I will be setting him a strength training programme as well.  Not only will this make him a stronger runner - especially over the last quarter of a race.  It will also help to protect him from many common overuse injuries associated with running, and luckily, he has a gym that is very convenient to him.

So, there is no ‘Store Day’ as I don’t sell clothes image  But GM has agreed to make the journey down to the best Town in the nation, Colchester, to attend my Running Technique Workshop in a few weeks.  And I might get to meet his new bride as well! image

Here, he will get a video analysis of how he runs, and what he can do to improve it.  One thing I often see with ultra runners is the ‘ultra shuffle’, so it will be interesting to see if GM has adopted this running style, and see if I can beat it out of him!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hello all.

Good luck GInger Magic!
  • FF, they are right, I’m am a wee bit excited about Boston (can anyone tell I’ve spoken to a Scotsman today?)

Sesamoid, Good luck in your preparations.  As you can see from my post above, I really do design a plan that is personal to each individual athlete, but hopefully you can learn from some of the sessions GM will be doing, even though they may not be 100% relevant to your own goals.

Ruffles, Congratulations!  That’s wonderful news image Did you see that buggy runner World Record at the Abingdon marathon?

Malcs/Sean, The trail run was good… although there were lots of zombies and ghosts and things jumping out… not sure if I’ll sleep tonight :-S

Hi DS2! 

Apologies… it seems to have turned my final paragraphs into the link for my article!! Ahh well, least you have a big area to click to go and read it image

• Blimey even DS2's back image Hello, how's your running going at the mo?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Sean!

I'm a cyclist nowadays! ????????????

An injured one at that!!! ????????????

But I'm getting there! I have a GFA for London so need to get running regularly!

How are you doing?
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Angela. Long time, no speak ????
  • HB!! So wonderful to see you on here! What have you been upto since London? Will you be doing a marathon in the spring?
  • DS2 - I'm good cheers, looking forward to following this thread!

So your a Cyclist these days, but you have a GFA place as well!

When was your last marathon?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol DS2!

Can I post my recent marathon report on here? It was the first of a kind for me...
  • Yes please Minni! Good to hear you are back running marathons again.

Just wanted to drop in to say a big good luck to GM and Angela for the next few months. I think this will be a really entertaining thread to follow image

• Was the marathon on Sunday at bristol

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Yes Minni. It looked an amazing experience!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    I did Halstead last year but on absolutely minimal training, Sean.

When I say minimal. A total of 86 training miles. Did 4:10. Had been injured since London year before (3:28).

That was when Minni pulled up with her problems, so we've each had a long road back!

I recently cycled Lands End to John O'Groats though. Amazing experience and would highly recommend it to any cyclists out there!
  • Well done on the Lejog ride DS2, that's a fantastic achievement. I love that part of Cornwall by the way, we holiday near Sennen most Augusts.

4:10 is still not too shabby as well. Does under 3:30 qualify you for good for age?

I would love to try for good for age next spring (sub 3:15). I managed 3:24 at London this year.

Hi Minni, Are you fully recovered now? Is it triathlons or running for you at the mo?

• Morning all!

DS2, SK thank you. Kudos to you on the cycle up to John O'Groats DS2. Good to see you both on here, I'm going to need all the help I can get. Especially from you sub 3.30 marathoners.

Would love to hear your report Minni! Good to hear of you running marathons I think the last time I remember chatting to you, you were struggling with injury. So thats brilliant.

The DOMS from Sunday are nearly all but gone now. Think I'll manage a wee run tonight! image