Parkrun

Comments

• Asitis. Pardon me for clogging up the forums with rubbish like this. With respect, you know nothing about me and whether or not I have any disabilities or what my life is like. I posted to ask a question and carried on posting because everyone (bar you) was so encouragin. Perhaps I, and other people who read these forums won't bother in future. Thank you everyone else for your encouragement. I wouldn't have done it without that.

Oh. And iu don't melt when it rains

• asitisasitis ✭✭✭

No I don't know anything about you so enlighten me into what disabilities you have and why it is so awkward to do a 5k. Without getting stroppy.

Then maybe I would retract my statement.

• Kate, well done!  Keep it up and ignore the naysayers.

Asitis, please consider that although 5 km might not seem much to you now (well done you ????) it possibly did when you were starting out.  What possible good do you think you are doing by discouraging someone from becoming involved in our sport?  

• I wouldn't waste my time telling my problems to someone like yourself. Don't worry, I won't bother posting again. Funny, I thought this was the beginners forum not the "Elite athletes how do I shave 1 second off my 5000m pb" forum.

But there you go

• Kate, please don't let the occasional negative comment put you off.  As you said, the vast majority of comments has been encouraging. 

• asitisasitis ✭✭✭

I have made no comment to put you off and to suggest in doing so says it all.

I will explain my reasons. It has nothing to do with ones ability weather it is beginner or elite. It is peoples attitude. It seems more acceptable in todays society to do nothing. To be obese, to be a diabetic ( look at the ever alarming rising rates ) to be idle and make  excuses and then burden yourself at the expense of others when you need the NHS. It seems more acceptable nowadays to do nothing and an absolute surprise when one does choose to value there body and at least try to. Its like get the balloons out.

This was the reason why I made the comments. It is true I know nothing about your circumstances but neither does anyone else in going by this thread. They choose to praise you within this information and I found it unnecessary. You have given no info as to why I should think differently.

To say you wont bother posting again is childish when you had the opportunity to explain why you think you need so much praise when we are designed for running and walking. I am just trying to understand.

• asitisasitis ✭✭✭

No I don't drink.

• So you have no real excuse for the lack of logic to your argument, your lack of empathy towards your fellow man, and your lack of apostrophes.

You think that the problem in England is that people don't exercise enough and eat unhealthily and your method of changing/improving/dealing with this is to go on the Internet and harass somebody for exercising. Hmmm.
  • asitisasitis ✭✭✭

Harass ?  err

My argument ( if you want to call it that ) is that I find it puzzling how one praises and/or  relies on solitude/encouragement from another in fulfilling a simple human function. One that she herself had already said in her first post that she was excited about and looking forward to doing.

The eating/ lifestyle comments was to add weight that this should encourage people more and value there bodies more.

You really need to stick to the point and not go off about England or drink or internet harassment or we will be here all night and might end up talking about lawnmowers.

• Asitis, you ate completely right about obesity and not exercising. I'm not 22 stone, but if I were, your comments would have put me off and not encouraged me to continue. Fortunately, I'm thick skinned enough not to be put off.

I didn't post because I think I need to be praised. I posted to ask a simple question, the question was answered, but I came back because people were very encouraging and wanted to know how I got on, so that I would have felt very rude not thanking them for their encouragement and letting them know how I got on. Not something you'd understand at all.

It may have seemed to you a completely unnecessary and pointless questioninitially, but it wasn't to me. I don't have much confidence in myself and had never done a parkrun before. Now I have and I know what to expect so there's no need for me to post anymore, but I will continue to do so if other people are interested in my progress. If this isn't acceptable to you, then don't read the thread.

• Keep posting Kate..its the internet.you will always have different views...

• Assitis, the name of this forum is the beginner forum; the subtitle is 'The first-time friendly section' (highlights my own).

Perhaps one day, should you get involved with kids' clubs, parkrun or a beginner group at your local running club, you may see the value in encouraging others to start running, praising them for what they achieve, and keeping a positive outlook on their progress. Perhaps not.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your running and allow others to do so too. Life's too short to waste on pathetic arguments. 

Kate,hope you continue running and enjoy it as much as I do. image 

• Thanks Seren and Irish. I'll let you know how I get on.

I hope that will be an end to the arguing now. 

• asitisasitis ✭✭✭

Irish. I do, and have helped others out. Many a time at my own time and expense. You have no idea. I realise the importance and have seen what encouragement plays. But at the same time sometimes the best way to help someone out you have to say "stop feeling bloody sorry for yourself and get on with it" 

Just take a look around, Where we are at. This "poor old you" approach is getting no-one anywhere. We are talking about adults taking responsibility, not kids getting there spelling's correct.

• But I'm not feeling sorry for myself and no one is saying poor you! All they're doing is encouraging me to carry on. There's nothing wrong with that.

Can we please stop this now?

• I should also say that I've been really grateful for the encouragement. I've found it really helpful. I'm feeling more confident after completing the park run yesterday and I don't think I would have given it a go without that encouragement. So thankyou everyone.

•  

asitis wrote (see)

Jesus, This is going a tad to far. No disabilities to overcome. A grown woman run/walking 3.1 miles for exercise. Excellent.

Be careful of the rain lovely.

What a nasty little bell-end image

• asitis wrote (see)

It seems more acceptable in todays society to do nothing. To be obese, to be a diabetic ( look at the ever alarming rising rates ) to be idle and make  excuses and then burden yourself at the expense of others when you need the NHS.

I must say, I have a bit of a problem with your reference to diabetics here, as if every one of us with the condition has lived a life of idleness and over-indulgence, knowing we would definitely get it and that you poor taxpayers would pick up the tab for our stupidity. The situation is far far more complex than you suggest. I've exercised all my life, mainly through running, but through many other sports. I've never been fat and certainly not obese. I do not fit any of the other so-called criteria. Nor do a great many of the other diabetics I know (and how do you explain Steve Redgrave or other good athletes who have the condition?). Though it's clear that lack of exercise and over-indulgence can open you up to getting the condition (and others), it's not clear how this happens and they are definitely not necessary factors. I was diagnosed in 2007 and since then I've met many misconceptions of the condition, of which yours is one of the most prevalent. Without the help of the health service (which I've paid into all my life in any case), I would probably go into a coma and die, but I'm sure you'd be the first at my funeral to pipe up and say 'nice enough chap, but he brought it on himself'. Sure, the way we live in these times might be contributing to the prevalence of some conditions, but apart from education or the oft-debated statutory methods of changing behaviour (sugar tax anyone?), what's your solution for people who already have diabetes? I'm sorry, mate, that I"m picking your pocket, but I certainly don't feel I was personally to blame.

And just to add my voice on this: well done Kate S. I know these things can be intimidating at first. Keep it up and feel free to keep posting.

• Up to 4k today (and asitis, it was in the rain and I didn't melt), so I'm sure I'll be up to 5k by the next time I'm able to do it.

Peter Collins you are absolutely right about diabetes. Type 2 is certainly more common in people who are unfit and overweight, but it affects plenty of people who don't fit that pattern. Type 1, usually presents in children. Well done you to keep running and ignore people's misconceptions.

I actually quite like running in the rain. It's refreshing and the warm shower when youget back seems all the warmer and nicer for it!

• Ran all the way this morning. 34.22. Onwards and uowards

• Brilliant, well done! Given the weather today, I'd imagine that you've proven that you're not soluble, too image

I hope you're actually enjoying it, along the way.

• Yes, I'm enjoying it although I wouldn't have melted today, it's cold, clear and bright. Probably sub zero taking into account the windchill. I've proven that I don't freeze though!

• Oh, good.. it was snowing here at eight, and when we started at nine, it was quite dark, windy and drizzling.. Quite bracing, really!

• Well done. Great way to start the weekend.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done, was very windy and cold here today. Had to delay the start due to branches on the course and having to do a second course check to make sure it was safe. Had to hold my tounge when 2 people complained that we were starting late.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

199 runners in Whitley Bay this morning on a bitter morning with hail and gale force winds. You've got to admire all those who turn out of bed on mornings like this, and especially the volunteers.  

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Well all of you Parkrunners beat me this morning. I stayed in bed because there was sleet forecast and I am not that thick skinned these days.

Parkrun is an awesome event. Running is great exercise. you can't lose.
  • asitisasitis ✭✭✭
    Kate Speed wrote (see)

Type 2 is certainly more common in people who are unfit and overweight,

This is what I was just implying. I don't need a lecture from you or Colins to point out the obvious. That is what you call a misconception. 

Glad you did not melt. Quite weird how you might have come up with that analogy though.  and why did you bring it up again. You said stop it so just do you're running if you enjoy it and stop crying about something from over two weeks ago. Another plea for sympathy and solidarity ?