Sub 3:30 Gingermagic: #Irunsuccess

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Stan - A good time there even if you are a bit disappointed. I did indeed get a voucher but having tried to activate it this morning I keep getting redirected to a site that doesn't exist. 

Have you had any luck?

Chicksta - Yep, time to get the base stuff in place! Always one of my favourite phases leading up to Christmas. I, also, think it helps to have an easy month before embarking on this. Enjoy.

Angela/GM - I'm rally looking forward to the detail of the plan.

• Morning all,

I'll be sharing week 1 in detail with you a wee bit later. I'm off out for a wee run shortly in the foggy fens. The plan is fantastic, a lot of work and thought has gone into it.

Hoping to catch a glimpse of Superman during the NYC marathon as well.
  • I'm Tracking Tim through the NYC Marathon App - He's number 10086
  • Just watching it now on Eurosport.

So week 1 of the plan looks a bit like this.

Monday - Strength work 1 (more detail to follow)

Tuesday - 4 miles easy. (Easy pace is 9:00+)

Wednesday - 6 miles

Thursday - Strength 2 and 4 miles.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 1 mile warm-up, 2@MP (8:00m/m), 1 mile CD.

Sunday - 12 mile easy.

The strength work sessions look like this. Session 1 includes, walking lunges, single leg squats, press-ups, dead bugs with SB, single leg running motion, leg raises and bicycle crunches. 2-3 sets of each with varying reps and weights.

Session 2 includes, barbell deadlifts, single leg deadlifts. TRX incline rows or bent over rows. Back extensions, calf raises and single leg calf raises. Again, 2-3 sets of each with varying weights used.

Like Angela has said, the first few weeks are going to be focused on building up that endurance again. I suppose also just getting used to running regualrly again as well! At first I asked about the inclusion of a quality/speedwork session. But after having a good think about it and where I am now I completely agree with this start to things. Especially as come January I'm going to have to run 45 miles. Also I've just been out for a short easy run and I feel way off where I was a few months ago.

Running along side this all as well I'm going to try to make positive changes to my diet. Just eating better, giving what my body needs. Avoiding the chocolate digestives and late night snacking. Snacking in general really. We conveniently have a tuck shop in my office selling chocolate bars, crisps and fizzy drinks. I'm going to ask to be barred from it. It's just too easy to dip into! I feel a little heavier than what I would like as well. I weigh around 71/72 kg right now which is about 5kg heavier than I would really like. I felt great at around 66kg where I was about a year ago. Hopefully there'll be a gradual decline over the next few months, I'll keep you all updated on that as well.

I'm ready to go! image

• Hello everyone... a little note on training paces.  I've put 9mm+ for easy pace for GM.  Now, this is faster than his average pace on his marathon in Frankfurt, but I also think, and I'm sure you'll agree, that setting his paces according to that marathon is actually quite unrealistic as we would have to put his easy pace at 11mm+.  I know his fitness will come back quite quickly, and he has a half marathon at the end of next week which will enable me to set more specific training paces.   As a general rule, your paces should be set according to your current fitness, not where you want to be in 6 months time.  My aspiration is that my half marathon pace in 3 weeks becomes my marathon pace in April.

GM - regarding diet.  I wish that Ruth could get on here!  But I would tend to agree with her general tactic which is to be mindful as Christmas approaches, so that you are not standing here on the 1st January with another 5kg to loseimage

Do ask me questions though!  The next best thing, I highly recommend the following books: 

http://amzn.to/1kkl4iV 

And this for some great recipes:

http://amzn.to/1kklbeg  

Regarding the snacks, rather than eliminate, think of limiting, or making sensible swaps.  Instead of crisps, perhaps a couple of rice cakes.  Instead of a chocolate bar, an apple with some peanut butter.  And perhaps the late night snacking habit needs to be replaced with a late night fruit tea habit.... (I manage this really well, with cold grape fruit tea... although sometimes its fermented... image

• I like the look of those books Angela, thanks! Yeah...I won't lie I'll still be enjoying Christmas. Maybe not to it's fullest but I will be partaking in the odd selection box! I'll definitely ask questions for sure. image

I've already resolved that I won't touch any booze until Christmas now and once thats out the way then again not until I cross the line at Manchester. I've done this before and manage ok and it really does help. Not that I'm boozing every night I just want to say! 

The snacking thing as well, its just a discipline thing. If I tell myself I'm doing something I usually stick to it. Anything to get in good shape for the sub 3.30. I'm confident also that the fitness will come back quickly. I've been here before and got myself back into shape fairly quickly. The tea sounds good! image

• Morning all,

I'm feeling strangely positive this Monday morning. Must be Day 1! image

Hope you all have a good day whatever you're doing!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

YES! We're up and running...well strength training at least image

Blimey, this thread has shifted on a bit. In a rush so will have to be brief (which I'm not good at). 

DS2 - great to hear you got to parkrun! An excellent time too even though you were supposed to be keeping it slow!!!

Sean - curse those pesky seconds! You'll be there on your next run for sure.

Mr P - wish you all the best for Friday. I'll have everything crossed for you!

Stan - hope this week goes well leading into #Sub40Saturday image

To answer your question, I'm doing naff all at the moment to maintain fitness. I don't think the foot would like cycling and I'm not a fan of swimming. I have done a few crunches though image

chicksta - ha ha image who in their right mind would turn down an expenses paid marathon attempt eh? It would be more stupid to say no! image

Angela - some great info on here already! What's this about apple and peanut butter? Aside from the questionable flavour combination that's surely a spreading nightmare? image

Hope the 'easy' 16 went well!

GM - so, let the games begin! Really looking forward to seeing you progress. Exciting times! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks Malcs. I thoroughly enjoyed ParkRun. I'm expecting to be there again Saturday - injury permitting! You should venture down there sometime. Only 20 minutes down the M20 for you. It's almost flat and on firm tracks - a few puddles but zero mud. I think you would be very quick around there!

The foot would probably like cycling in proper cycling shoes. The rigid sole stops the foot bending so you shouldn't do any harm. Having said that there isn't a lot of point in buying a pair of shoes that you will only where a couple of times!

Can't wait for this to begin, GM.

Stan/Mr P - I echo Malcs sentiment!!

Angela - how's the foot this morning?

• Speedy speedy thread...this bodes well GM.

Nice to see what you have in store for you and really interested in Angela's input.  I plan on a 3.30 attempt the following year so this is exciting to follow. Maybe 262 will be back then!

Malcs, Angela - thanks for the congrats.  It's v exciting.  I'm enjoying the new challenge of trying to stay fit and healthy whilst growing this tiny being.  Still running although 5k it about my limit and have added in more swimming which I am enjoying again after a while away from it post half iron. I have to say that the 5kg weight gain so far is really noticeable - so stay away from the mince pies everyone if you want to be speedy in the New Year!

Happy running x

• Morning All!

GM, I broke with tradition, and didn't start your plan on a rest day!  Although, when you are more into things, you may find that you would like Monday's to be rest, and to do strength + run on Tuesdays.

Malcs, you've never had peanut butter and apple!!  Well, here are the instructions.... Cut an apple into wedges... 1 apple to make 6-8 wedges.  Get a good hunk of PNbutter on a spreader.  Scrape bits of PB with apple, and put in your mouth and chew.  A much tastier version of carrot sticks and hummus! image

Afraid the easy run was pretty easy as I had to stop 5 miles in with a pain in my foot that caused me to run funny... Luckily I had my phone on me and made my way to the hotel I stayed the night before my wedding... I probably could have run on for a mile or 2, but certainly not 11, as it was a sharp pain when I toed off.  Had to get hubby to pick me up image Such a shame as I'm just starting to regain some form

Sooo, my foot feels a little bit like its a bag of flour now... but Dan the massage man??? has worked his magic on it.  A slight strain (could have been a very bad strain if I'd run on yesterday) - most likely cause, trainers that seem to be fine for me for anything under 10 miles, but once I push beyond that, they cause too much loading in my calf... REST and ICE, and back to running, possibly tomorrow if it settles down... Oh, and I gotta buy new trainers. . 

DS, thanks for asking about the foot... as you can see, its not feeling great right now, and have been advised to stay off it all day... (Not that easy as a personal trainer), but will be elevating it and icing it as much as I can... which is probably more than most.  I would like to be back running tomorrow, but as I often end up doing my Tuesday run on a TM anyway, I will probably choose to use the Cross trainer tomorrow to give it another day of healing.

Ruffles, Its great that you're staying active!  I fear my own future pregnancy, because try as I might, I just cannot find swimming enjoyable.... I'm planning on working on a fitness programme for new mothers in the not too distant future - sort of and off the shelf plan, so less personalised than what GM's getting... First thing to work on is re-building the core.  Perhaps we could connect and you could have a look at it for me.  What I've really struggled to do with my pre- and post-natal qualification is get people to make the time for fitness... Even my sister struggles with it, although she is much better now than a few months ago... Anyways, let me know what you think...

• Angela - Sorry to hear about the foot. I could be an ideal candidate for you.  Luckily my husband is v supportive and due to his work is home more than most so it's likely that I will have the time to exercise.  I know it's easy to say now but having been a runner for so long, I can't imagine that I won't want to get back to it as soon as I can.

I know what you mean about swimming.  I don't love it and only took it up for triathlon.  However, as I am now so much slower and am finding running to tiring, swimming has become more appealing.  I find that it doesn't leave me as tired and I get the benefit of not feeling like a heavy lump for a short time!

• DS2 - What Parkrun did you do?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Sean,

Malling. It's a new one (5th week). It's at Leybourne Lakes just off the M20 near Snodland. I run there sometimes anyhow since it's only 5 miles from home. Where do you do yours?

Ruffles - congratulations. I'm sure you'll manage to keep exercising through the pregnancy. I managed to keep going all the way through both of ours, and the second time we had twins! imageimage

I'm with Angela - I find nothing remotely enjoyable in swimming!

• DS2 - Folkestone usually, as it's the nearest. But Pegwell Bay (near Ramsgate) is a lot quicker, so I have also ran that one as well.

I think Leybourne Lakes is just under a hours drive for me.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thought that would be the case Sean. It takes me an hour to get to Folkestone! image

• Forgot to say congrats Ruffles. Very exciting image

Another one that hates swimming ... it's sooooo boring!!

Ginger: I think Angela is right in not giving you any speedwork. Coupled with strength and increased mileage is a recipe for injuries. There's plenty of time to sharpen up closer to race day image

Hope the foot behaves, Angela. Maybe you should ditch those trainers ...

8 miles in thick fog this morning. That fog hasn't shifted all day and will probably hang around tomorrow too image that's November for ya ...
  • Foot is worse after standing on it for a few hours... Time to elevate it again!

Wonder if GM enjoyed the weights so much that he's decided to join weightlifting world forum insteadimage
  • Just back from there Angelaimage 

Evening all! Bit of mental day meant I couldn't scive on the forum as much as usual! First session went well though I'm pleased to report Angela. Its been a good couple of months since I've done anything like this. I was sweating a fair bit by the end I'll be honest. 

I didn't have any problems with any of the exercises. I moved to 5kg for my last set of lunges as I was wobbling a bit too much at the start of the 3rd set with 8's. image Everything else though was as planned. The crunches at the end were hard! Finished off with some stretching as well and felt thoroughly worked out by the end of it all. Can't believe your making me work on day 1 though Angela! image

Managed to eat quite well today as well. 3 square meals with an afternoon snack. Thats been it. I'll chuck in a mid-morning snack on running days. Hope the foot feels better tomorrow Angela. 

Hey Chicksta, yep I totally agree. Well I did once I actually sat down and thought about it. There's time to get the speed back. I need to get used to running again really and build that base again. The fog has been awful here as well, very grim. Well done for getting out in it!

2017 will be your year then Ruffles! It would be good if they brought it back. Maybe RW should back I Run Success instead and follow you next year instead. Very inspirational for women working back towards fitness after childbirth! 

Malcs/DS2, I'm looking forward to the running now. As well as just learning a lot about training, nutrition, injury prevention etc. Plus hearing all your stories and sponging of your collective wisdom! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Evening all.  As promised here is my MCM report.  A whole new experience for me!

So the plan was to do this marathon off minimal training and at a pace I knew I'd recover from quickly as I then had 7 days of sightseeing to do in Washington-NewYork-Boston.

Because of this approach I really hadn't taken the training seriously enough, even for a non target marathon.  I had managed 5 x 20 miles of the past couple of months but little else, apart from some shorter races.  My weekly mileage has only been around 30 but with no structure.  This hasn't worried me as I've been enjoying the fun side of running, rather than obsessing about miles/paces.

If you're doing a target marathon you make sure you leave nothing to chance.  If you're doing one for fun you are far more laid back in the time running up to the big day, it seems.   

Set back number 1: I came down with a cold a week before M day.  This lingered on and turned into a cough.  First stop on arrival to America was the drug store for day and night drugs. 

Set back number 2:  Mr Minni also got the cold and took snoring levels to an all time high.  image

On the plane I had felt a vibration a couple of times through my handbag and assumed it was a spare phone I'd brought with me. I mustn't have turned it off and the battery was getting flat. 

Set back number 3:  It wasn't the phone it was my garmin!  I had fully charged it but either didn't turn it off or had knocked it on.  When I got it out my bag on marathon morning it was completely flat.  I hadn't brought the charger. Oops.

I stayed with my cousin in Washington and he warned that although the tube was opening early that didn't mean the trains would be running regularly.  I was up at 5am and ready to leave by six.  I had 4 stops to the Pentagon.   Yep he was right train didn't arrive for 20 minutes after I arrived at the station.  However, there was still plenty of time.  Lots of other runners were on the train and when we pulled into the Pentagon met hundred and hundreds of others.  Light drizzle turned a bit heavier and got quite wet waiting in the queue to get through security. 

Setback number 4:  It look more than an hour to get through security.  Runners were supposed to have done the bag drop and have arrived in the start area by 7:20am ready for some kind of opening ceremony, with the race starting at 7:55. I was still in the queue at 7:55!

I assumed they would delay the start.  Once I finally got through it was then a long walk to find the bag drop. [I'm not sure what the point of security was.   They checked all bags but then at the other side the area was open to the public - we had to cross roads with traffic etc!  Anyway, this is America and they do like look as if they are on top of security even if they're not]  Made my way to the start and could see the markers for predicted finishing times but not many runners until I was almost at the start line.  Then the penny dropped - the race had started some 20 minutes earlier!  I joined in with those on the start line and heard the announcer say, 'and these are the fun runners coming through. Most will take 6 hours or more but they don't care...'  I felt like shouting, 'I CARE!' But then I told myself that really it didn't matter.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

So, I had a cold, missed the start by 20 minutes and had no garmin.  This really had to be run to feel.  I had a wrist watch on so once I got to 5k I tried to use that to keep an eye on the 5k splits.   I had set Strava away on my phone but was paranoid about having no battery at the end.

I dimmed the screen right down and when I checked it at halfway it was completely dead.  However, I realised later on in the day that I just couldn't see the screen outdoors!  So I do have splits to look back on.

Miles 1, 2, 3 (8:45, 9:04, 8:57) I wasn't hard to start slow as I was running with very slow runners!  The roads were also narrow in places so it was hard to get past in places but I just went with the flow and pushed on where I could but didn't worry about slowing when I had no other choice.  

Miles 4, 5, 6 (8:05 - very downhill, 8:52, 7:50 - again downhill)  These first few miles were beautiful out of the city.

Miles 7, 8, 9 (8:45, 8:26, 8:17) Starting to get back into the city now.  The crowds were excellent, not quite as big as London but definitely louder!  'Good Job', 'You Got This', 'Go Germany'.  Yes, my club vest is the colours of the German flag...

Miles 10, 11, 12 (8:30, 8:26, 8:17) I was feeling quite good at this stage.  The aim was to try to keep the effort minimal.  It was quite easy to do this because if I started to go too fast I started to cough.  I used that as my guide!  'You're doing this, Germany'

Miles 13, 14, 15 (8:28, 8:26, 8:18) I was pleased to be passed the halfway mark.  We were in the city now and I swear I saw the Washington Monument from every angle possible!  Every time I turned around it was there!  'Good Job'

Miles 16, 17, 18 (8:22, 8:23, 8:30) This stretched included the blue mile in which fallen servicemen are commemorated.  I have to say it was quite emotional, but maybe it was because the running was starting to hurt!  'oh there's a German..' image

Miles 19, 20, 21 (8:38, 8:53, 8:30) Ok this is starting to feel uncomfortable.  I tried to tell myself this was impossible as these last few miles are always my favourite marathon miles.  My legs were arguing. 

Miles 22, 23, 24 (8:51, 8:35, 8:43)  I was still passing people but I felt I had barely more than a shuffle left in me.  Oh, why hadn't I trained more?  I knew I'd get to the end but it wasn't going to be pleasant. I stopped at a the 24 miles drink station and took a minute to have a proper drink and give myself a talking to.

Miles 25, 26 and the rest (9:05, 9:04.... 10:08!)  Oh god this hurt.  I can honestly say I have never experienced this pain before.  It wasn't muscular it was bone.  My bones were disintegrating.  I looked down at one point and expected my legs to melting.  Get to mile 25, then to 26.  Thank god, not far to go now.  Then, shocker, there was a hill and it wasn't a small hill.  It was like going up a multistory carpark. Where was the finish... eventually got the the top and still couldn't see the finish.  I was practically crying and could have just stopped right there, but of course I didn't.  Over the line in 3:51.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Although at the time it felt like hell on earth afterwards I concluded that I had really enjoyed lots of things about it. I loved the course, the crowds and it was a great test to run without a garmin and totally run to feel.  It was the second slowest of my 13 marathons but I felt I learnt a lot from it.  Mainly not to wear my club vest when running abroad! 

The good news was my legs recovered very quickly, although my cold took a cold for the worse for a few days, and my hip didn't complain at all.

All in all very happy.  Now is the time to get back to proper training and make some targets.  Not sure if this will involve a spring marathon as yet. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Epic report Minni. I could almost feel your pain on that last hill.

Fantastic to see you back running marathons again.
  • GM your legs may feel horrid in the morning and you may feel like running is the last thing you could possibly want to do, but trust me, an easy recovery run is going to really help - it will feel horrid to start, but hopefully by the end of it you'll have loosened off, and have a decent stretch afterwards.  Glad you had a good workout image 

Chicksta, was very foggy here today.  Luckily, massage man comes to me, so I didn't have to drive in it.  Now I'm icing it and hoping I can do something on it tomorrow - although decided that I will stick to Cross trainer tomorrow rather than run.

Minni, sounds like a great race! Such a shame that you had a cold.  And what you felt like at the end, I think is what a lot of us have felt at some point.  So glad that your hip didn't react to it as well!! sooo are you tempted to do Manchester with Ginger?  OR why not come down to Halstead?  I'm entered in a mixed pair for Spitfire Scramble - will you be doing that one again?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I have a London place so if I do a spring marathon it will be there but to be honest I might give it a miss and do some short stuff for the next six months then target an autumn one. Spitfire - it falls on my daughter'a birthday in 2016 so probably not. She will be 20 but I've spend every birthday with her - it's always a special day!
  • Awesome report Minni! I enjoyed reading that. image

My legs are a bit heavy Angela. Nothing too bad but I can tell I've been working. Mainly around the glutes! I'm looking forward to the easy miles tonight to shake things out.

• Great report, Minni image  Guess I have to join your club if it sports German colours image. Your marathon experience sounds a bit like those weird dreams that we all get before a race - turn up with Garmin battery flat and phone seemingly dead ... the only thing that's missing is leaving the shoes at home image

In true Ginger style it did some walking lunges, a plank and press ups after this morning's run image.

Stupid fog still hasn't lifted image

• sensesense ✭✭✭

Sean – if you keep running 20.0X we might have to come down to Folkestone as a team of pacers. If it’s a multi-lap course we can tag in & out as required…  do you use a watch/ look at the time when you’re running?

DS2 – good parkrun debut.  Hope you enjoyed it & no ill-effects

Stan – bad luck at Accrington – were you close to 40? Is cheshire quicker course? Good luck anyhow

Mr P – stick in.  hope consultant on Friday is helpful

Chicksta – the double spring marathon plan sounds like a belter.  Hope you enjoy return to slow & gentle (hadd-style again?)

Malcs -  I’d second DS2 comments re cycling, even if you don’t necessarily wear proper shoes.  But you know your foot better than us & how much you like/ dislike cycling so will leave you to it!

Minni – well done on marine corp marathon.  Sounds like lots went wrong and it was predictably hard work.  But good fun & helpful for setting next targets.

GM – and you’re off. Well done on the strength stuff.  Hope you manage to find a decent routine with that – it’s not something I’ve ever managed to sustain in a meaningful way but I’m sure it has major benefits. Re angela’s follow-up comment on Monday rest/ strength & run Tuesday, it obviously depends on how works best for your routine in but I can see the attraction of 2 rest days, in the early stages at least.

Angela – sorry to hear about the foot.  Hope it heals as quickly as it turned up.  Will try apple & peanut butter – sounds like it has lots of potential. Couple of questions re the plan.  For GM’s 2 miles @ MP on saturday – is the idea that he runs that at 8mm even if that’s currently more of a tempo/ HM effort?  Rather than an MP-effort that might be more like 8.30-8.45 at the moment?  And on the Sunday 12m, should that just be easy even pace throughout?  or any sort of slight speeding up towards the end? Thanks.

I’ve managed 3-4 runs/20-25 miles for last couple of weeks and aiming for same again this week. Pretty much all slower 9mm stuff apart from a Tuesday evening faster effort. Really enjoying it and stomach/ groin problems seem under control so aiming to stay at this level & resist temptation to up the mileage or pace any time soon.

Starting to think about spring marathons.  Any recommendations?  Ideally within 1-2 weeks either side of London.  Unfortunately can’t do Manchester (April 10th), which was previous first choice.  Anyone done Great Welsh Marathon (Llanelli) before?  Or Bungay black dog?

• Hiya Sense,

Yeah the strength work thing is something I've also struggled to do consistently so I'll be interested to see what it can do for me this time around. The 2 day rest thing will be more welcome when the mileage starts to ramp up espeically with strength work included which I'm not used to. Also as time goes on I believe part of the plan will be to introduce back to back long runs to also prepare for the ultras. So that Monday rest will probably be needed!image

Good to see your getting running done as well. You'll be ready to start training for a Spring marathon no bother! I believe Malcs and Seren have done the Great Welsh Marathon? I seem to remember Martin doing the Bungay Marathon as well.