Sub 3:30 Gingermagic: #Irunsuccess

Comments

• Afternoon!  I think my foot is making me sleepy?!?  It feels fine now, but I haven't yet run.  Have decided that what was planned as a 3-4 mile run before my own strength work, I will now do about a mile on TM, and the rest on the cross trainer, to see how the foot reacts to the impact without overloading it.  

Sense, This apple and peanut butter thing may catch on yet... Not sure how I came across it, and was sceptical at first, but then I tried it image

Regarding GM's marathon pace run.  Somewhat controversially, I do want him to run those middle miles at an 8 minute mile.  This is a marker for me - at the moment I want an indication of how difficult he finds that pace.  My hope is that he will find it quite easy and a marathon pace level effort wise, and that as I suspect we need to rebuild his endurance so that he can last for 26 miles at that pace.   Because he has achieved at near this level before, he ought to get back to finding this pace relatively easy (for 2 miles at a time), quite soon.  

If someone was starting from a time of relative fitness, the plan would be quite different.  For example, for myself aiming for sub 3:20/3:15 (BIG LEAP wish) in Boston, my most recent Saturday run was 2x 2 miles at HMP, with about 5 min recovery in between.  And it felt easy...much easier than the start of my half marathon a month ago when I wasn't fully fit.

And Sense, shhhhhh about Bungay black dog.... my plan if my time wasn't quick enough to get me into boston was going to be to do Bungay black dog, as I could stand a chance of being 1st lady there, and certainly top 3!  If I have a good lead up!!image 

• Nice work on the strength training GM.  I am still trying to do a little pre baby. Angela - if you have any advice...

Minni - great report and well done

Happy running all and thanks for all the good wishes!

• Sense - image There are a lot worse places you could spend a sunny autumnal day, so yes perhaps you should come down to Folkestone. I do use a GPS watch whilst Parkrunning, and constantly check my pace as I'm running.

I'm still looking out for which April marathon to run? Possibly Ashford as a last resort, as I can stay home the night before the race. But also open to suggestions.

Angela - I'm back to work tomorrow, after having last week off. Think I'll be having apples and peanut butter in my pack up, but, is it best with smooth or crunchy? image

Also, toying with trying to get sub 3:15 for the marathon next spring. Depending on which one I eventually enter. Do you think I would need to increase my mileage by a massive chunk, or just up the pace on my runs? 

• First run done! An easy 4 miles around Ely, trying to keep below 9m/m. Although this wasn't difficult. I kind of felt like my default pace was about 8:55. The legs were a bit heavy to begin with but like you say Angela it did get easier. 

Not too much else to report really, it felt comfortable. However, on an effort scale at the moment I feel like I'm working harder doing 9m/m than I did a few months ago when I would knock out these miles without breaking sweat. Over the next few weeks though I'm sure I'll get back to something like normal.

Here's the strava link if you want to have a butchers! https://www.strava.com/activities/425874185

I'm off out to get some apples. I've got peanut butter already.

• Just a quick one from me..... Peanut butter is for bananas. You need to put almond butter on your apples. Just try it!
  • Who needs Ruth!!! image

Never tried Almond butter?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

GM - nice going! One down, just a few more to goimage

DS2 - as soon as I'm right again I'll be doing a bit of Parkrun tourism image

Minni - blimey that was one gutsy effort. Despite the pain it must feel so brilliant to be back in the game. Enjoy a well earned rest as you look forward to glory in 2016 image

Sense - yes, I've done the Great Welsh 3 times now. It's a beautiful setting. All along the coastal path with views over to the Gower peninsula. Aside from a couple of hills where you cross the railway, it's also as flat as a pancake. 

It's not a huge field so you will find yourself running on your own at times. However, there was a nice bit of local support.

Organisation is excellent. Water stations every 3 miles with bottled water. They run a half marathon at the same time and the marathon course is two loops of the half mara course. If you don't like passing the finish line when you're only halfway through then this may not be the one for you. 

Personally I loved it and would do it again for sure. 

Plus Llanelli is a great town with lovely people and home to the best rugby side in the world.....according to Mrs Malcsimage

Angela - sorry to hear about the foot. How is it today? 

Definitely made the right call to bail out of your run. As you said, to continue would have turned it into something much worse. Any idea on how long you need to rest it for?

Do take it easy and don't run until you're sure it's ok. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Yesterday I celebrated my 4 week anniversary - yay! image Definitely walking better now and the pain, when it comes, is considerably less sharp. However, I still think I'll need another week or two before I can risk any running. Heck I still really need to test it walking! 

• Morning all!  Who knew, almond butter and apples, eh - I wonder if that's because of the alliteration.  Regarding smooth or crunchy Sean, there are no rules.... depends whether you're in a smooth or a crunchy mood... 

GM, well done on your run image And good to see default pace for the shorter runs isn't too slow.  But, your pacing of 9:00+ means 9 min mile or slower.... Just wanted to clarify that - your pace looks fine on Strava.  But don't be afraid to go slower if it doesn't feel easy.

Malcs, I'm so sorry its been so long with your foot.  Yes, walking will be quite important - did you get a definitive diagnosis?  

I'm pretty sure I nipped it in the bud with my own foot.  I did my run yesterday as a combo of cross trainer and treadmill (in old versions of my old shoes), with the treadmill running split into 2 5 minute sections.  On the first, I felt like the foot was starting to tighten by the end, but on the second it was absolutely fine.  I iced it when I was home in the evening, and a bit of self massage in there still reveals a little bit of gristle, but no pain when running, and mobility in the big toe is back to about 85% of what it is in the right foot.  I'm sure once I have the new shoes, I'll be ok for running outside.  I'm fortunate that this was a planned step back week anyway, as little nephew is visiting at the weekend, so I wont have tonnes of time to train.

So, there's a lesson here about listening to your body, and seeking help. Whilst it was relatively minor and has been solved quickly (I think), there is absolutely no way I could have done on my own what my sports massage threrapist did to my foot and calf.

And I'm coming back to things cautiously (perhaps over-cautiously).  What's a week of light training/cross training now?  We all saw Superman did amazing things with lots of cross training when he was injured.  An injury may mean a loss of running time, but we should be able to maintain most of our CV fitness whilst injured.

• Ruffles, re: strength work during pregnancy.  Generally, speaking, you reduce the resistance as your pregnancy progresses, perhaps reducing to body weight.  For example, squats can be done by standing up from and sitting down into a chair, rather than holding onto a heavy weight - the growing baby will provide your resistance.

Also, avoid anything lying on your back, or involving a balance challenge.  So you may wish to do exercises like shoulder press, bicep curls etc sitting rather than standing.

Now is not the time to start wildly new things that could pose injury risk.  And beware of the possible laxity in your joints.

• Cheers Malcs! Yep long way to go. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery of the foot!

It felt fairly easy at that pace last night Angela. I'll be sure to slow down and keep it easy tonight on the 6 miles. I've still got a nice bit of DOMS going on from Monday's strength work. image I could feel it in my abdominals as well everytime my foot planted. lol. Good workout that one!

• It's official - I can't keep up with this thread!image Good to see you're on track now though GM so I can track my progress alongside yours!

I'm off to try the peanut butter / apple combo now too!!!

• Aye that's it Sesamoid. I've got an easy 6 miles tonight which I'm looking forward to. Hopefully we can both turn up to Manchester in good shape and ready to smash 3:30. 

The book that Angela reccommended, 'Racing Weight' should be on my doorstep when I get home tonight. Let's see what it says about apples and peanut butter! image

• sensesense ✭✭✭

Angela – thanks re MP explanation.  Makes sense to me – it’s the 26.2 miles bit that GM needs to train towards, the 8mm bit should be a relative doddle for him.

Malcs – thanks for comments re great welsh.  Will keep it on the list of contenders.

Angela/ sean – sounds as if there’s a mini-group aiming for 3.15/3.20 that’s developing.  Hopefully I might join it in another few weeks.

• Sense - You certainly seem to be getting back on track with your running. 

I would love to try for sub 3:15 and get that elusive GFA qualifier, but just not sure it's achievable for me in April?

Angela - peanut butter and apple gets the thumbs up from me. Also had a go with banana, but just found that to "claggy' (is that a word) in my mouth.

• sense wrote (see)

Angela/ sean – sounds as if there’s a mini-group aiming for 3.15/3.20 that’s developing.  Hopefully I might join it in another few weeks.

I'm going to join this group too. There. I've said it image

• sensesense ✭✭✭

chick - yes. glad to hear it.  (I saw hamburg is 17 april so outside chance I might try to join you there too)

sean - of course you can run 3.15.  you ran 3.24 (?) at vlm last year. less than 5% improvement required.  you have a pb of 3.0x. you've run consistently over the summer & seem to be in good health now. I'm assuming there are no additional/ significant restrictions on your training over the winter.  I don't know what the right cocktail of pace & mileage is for you (what was training like when you ran 3.0x?) but there's no doubt at all that you can get there. so stop doubting and get on with it image

• Cheers Sense, thanks for the straight talking image

Yes my PB is 3:08, however that was in '98, nearly 20 years ago now. Strangely enough my training probably wasn't as planned as it is now, although I do remember peaking at 70 - 80 miles per week and sometimes running twice per day. 

But on the other hand, just trying to run a sub 3:20 - 3:30 marathon is probably playing it a little safe.

Was considering following Malcs plan, yet again, as it worked well last year, but upping the pace by 30 seconds for every run.

I always find it a challenge to juggle my training around, work, the wife's work and the kids. But I've managed the past few years. 

Just need to find a decent marathon that's quick and not too busy that I am dodging other runners, but so its not so quiet that I'm running on my own.

Interestingly, Shady Ady, (from the forum) who only got sub 3:30 the year before Malcs, is flying at the moment and I think he's going for sub 3:15 this weekend?

• Evening speedsters! It was an easy 6 tonight. Made sure the pace did feel 'easy' so it was a touch slower than last night. A nice out and back in the drizzle. I love running at this time of year, I struggle in the summer, especially with my long runs. Here's the link.

https://www.strava.com/activities/426504255

Agree with Sense, Sean you can go sub 3:15! image

• So I was at a lecture in Cambridge tonight on marathon pacing... In terms of possibility (sub 3:15 in some of our cases) from the elite runners (Susan partridge) to club level, less experienced and the sports scientist leading the research - what's between your ears really counts! So if we can build the belief that will bring us all success!

Ps, Malcs, your mate Nige was there but he didn't see me image
  • Angela - I would agree with that 100%, you've only got to look at both Malcs and Ady, previously from this forum, who both struggled for a few years to go below 3:30 and now are flying along with much faster times.

• Wise words on the self belief front and thanks for the advice Angela.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Couldn't agree more. 

I've been guilty of putting up mental barriers in the past. Problem is, when you think like that then someone tells you your problem is in your head you're unlikely to listen to them. Getting over that hurdle is difficult but once you do the benefits are huge.

Sean - there is no doubt that you can get under 3:15. You've just done a 19:23 5K for crying out load. That's 6:14 pace. To do sub 3:15 you'd be running 1min 10secs slower. If your endurance is in a good place then that should be no problem. 

After doing 3:14 in York last year I was thinking to myself that I'd have to slowly chip away to try and get close to sub 3. However, Steve gave me some great advice as always. He said, what's the point in trying for a 3:08 or 3:10? What would would you learn that would help you towards sub 3? 

In the end he suggested I just go for it - run sub 3 pace in April and see how far I could go. If the wheels fall off then so what? You come out of it knowing what running at that pace feels like. In the end I got to 20 miles before having to slow. Ended up with 3:04 which I would never have expected.

I say if you want to go for sub 3:15 then just go for it! Obviously if your short times didn't support it then you might question this but yours don't - in fact they suggest you could go even quicker!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - word from Nige: he wasn't at the lecture image. He is interested to know why you are having visions of him though! image

• Hello old friends. I have made a request for my old thread to be taken down and this one to take its place.  I cannot wait to catch up on this thread and I just wanted to say gingermagic I am thrilled you are and Angela are doing this and any support I can lend at any time you only need to ask. You were both rocks during my spring marathon. I am off now with a cuppa to catch up with the whole thread. image

• So pleased you're doing this thread GingerMagic -a great idea!. Congrats on tying the knot!- I'll be targeting a PB for Manchester this spring too- I'm sure we'll bump into each other at the Watford Half marathon 8 weeks (ish) before

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Awesome - Superman returns ! (hey, that's not a bad title for a filmimage )

Maybe if we all donated a single item of kit to Gingermagic we could cover the store day aspect of the original comp? I have a nice pair of trackie bottoms I could send his way (I'll get my offer in before Ady does)image

Charles - great to see you here. What are you targeting right now?

• Thanks Charles! I might be giving Watford a miss this year though. I'll be looking for a nice flat one for a bit of a confidence boost and possibly a PB attempt. It's a wee bit on the hilly side for a good PB attempt, for me anyway. Hopefully I'll see you at Manchester!

Superman! Its great to have you onboard! image You've also been there, done that, got the t-shirt. A big inspiration! Would love your advice and encouragement throughout. The whole idea is brilliant, still can't get over how lucky I am to be getting coached by the amazing Angela!

Malcs, image choked on my brew reading that. If they're 'the' trackies I'll pass!

• Malcs Hmm... Either I got the wrong name.... or I was dreaming things... Your friend from TR24 who lives in the Cambridge area/?? And who particularly likes practise wedding cake, but not running at night - Its difficult to know his name, since he wasn't wearing his tr24 hoody!

GM, That run was perfect- easy easy so that your cells can be in a nice state, without too much hydrogen ions building up... (sorry, lecture got me all sciency again)... You are the ideal client  (well except for the 'free' part image), but yes, I'm looking forward to keeping you going through the dark winter... For a fast flat half, http://gbrc.org.uk/our-races/great-bentley-half-marathon/ if you don't mind travelling to my neck of the woods again... I've already entered.  I didn't manage to run it 2 years ago, but instead did Dorney lake, and you can read about that here: http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/2014_02_01_archive.html

Superman, great to have you involved!! Did you see any badgers in NYC?  I think the thread would appreciate a race report if you're willing to do one?

Hello Charles good to see you again image 

• Hey Soups - welcome back. so great to see you image. How was NY?

Great to see so many familiar faces popping up here.