Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Dawned on me that the offroad duathlon we're doing is in just over 2 weeks. Need to get out for some actual mountain biking asap to brush up my skills...
  • pete - good to hear from you, hope things are going well. Good luck for when you start work

DB - I hate the way events creep up without you realising!

bit of a wet drizzly run today, 2 miles with my son then an extra 3 miles on top of that. Annoyingly my garmin stopped working in between (I only popped into the house to grab some water!)) and I had to do a rest which meant I lost the data from the run with my kid and last night's turboimage

however, OH is thinking of getting me the 920 for xmas now, because there have been a few times when it has messed up lately

• Razor, our pace last night was a minute slower than that and we were still knackeredimage

New toys are always good maths, so you'll have to be good to make sure Santa does bring it!

• Maths I'm hoping for the same from Santa, I like the run metronome idea image 

I take what i said yesterday back , today I'm feeling the full effects of Kettlebells and Yoga, everyone keeps asking if I'm alright and why am I'm limping.image

Muddy park run planned for tomorrow image

• I had planned on kettlebells tonight, but I have been feeling exhausted all day so I am not going. Been doing shopping and stuff though (boring) but at least it is done

swimming tomorrow - I haven't been for a while so it will be tough!

• Another 4.something mile run tonight with some hills. Marshalling a local Cx race tomorrow for the cycling club but hoping to get a couple of laps done once we've setup the course. Might get out on the mountain bike in the afternoon too
  • Nice one DB, good luck with the marshalling. Checked my mountain bike today, flat back tyre, doh.

• Why do people in cars stop to ask runners directions? Is it wrong when you're on a roll to ignore them? 

• After helping set out the course for my cycling club's cyclocross race today, I did a lap and a half. Oh my god I have never ridden anything tougher than that. Cranks going round, rear wheel turning, no forward motion achieved. On the flat. Good fun though. Massive amounts of respect to everyone who raced, sticking with it for 50 minutes would have been tough.

But in my eyes the real winner was the 4 year old lad doing the junior race on his little singlespeed bike and loving every second of it. Proper grass roots sport.

• DB - sounds like a great event image

MrsD - I suppose they ask runners because you are likely to be local and know where you are! Doesn't work when I get asked for directions when I am out running on holiday image

woke up with a headache so not sure I will get my long run in today but never mind. 

• Aye it was cracking. Well after today's exploits I've actually managed to use all 4 of my bikes in one weekend. CX bike yesterday to ride down to the CX race and try the course, mountain bike yesterday evening, hybrid this morning to go to the shops, and 24 miles on the road bike this afternoon enjoying the brilliant weather, taking in some climbs and clocking my highest speed so far of 45.6mph. Successful weekend!

• wow, DB a great weekend. I would be far too scared to go that fast!

I managed to get out this afternoon for a short run, but made it hard to make up for not doing a long one - each mile was faster than the previous image felt good, still doing run/walk but good to do some hard efforts

and swimming tonight was a tough session too 

• So here is my race report for the Germiston 5150 of yesterday....

WOW!!

This was my 1st ever TRI and I Loved it.

I won't blame the choppy conditions for my poor swim as I know the truth is I suck big time at swimming. As this was my first ever open water swim (Besides surfing and snorkelling more than a decade ago) i drank half the lake. with hindsight i should have started further to the outer side. The first few 100 meters was a battle royal to get enough air while everyone was swimming over me, and all the other funny things that happen in a swim. By the time I got round the 1st left turn marker it looked like the front guys of my way has already finished. My swim was made up of every and any stroke imaginable just to get me to the end in a swim time of 33min 16sec's

Heading out on the bike I really enjoyed the fact of setting your own rhythm and not having to constantly try to match others and holding onto someone else's wheel.

I was stupid enough to think that we where riding into a cross head wind going out , till we made the turn around and realised we were now going into a cross head wind. 

http://static.bikehub.co.za/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/eek.gif

I got to the 30km mark in just under and hour (For the cycle leg alone) and ended up with a time of 1H 21Min 57Sec for the cycle. Those last 10km killed me, but I knowingly backed off the pace a little as the run leg was coming up.

The run was very enjoyable. Although hot I didn't mind this to much as I just grabbed water sachets and poured it over my head as required. I was feeling bloated and nauseous from all the dam water but pushed through. I was luckily able to stick to my plan and leave everything I had left on the final 2kms of the run which resulted in a negative split of over a min and finish the run in my best 10km time of this year (9.7km according to my garmin so can't count it as a 10k PB) 54min 53sec.

This gave me a total time for my first 5150 of 2H55M57Sec's.

Unfortunately to my dismay, I didn't receive a meal voucher so was left starving till I got home. I must admit though when at registration the young girl did ask me to check if everything was in there, my exact words to her was, "This is my first time, so i wouldn't know if something was missing"  so grabbed my stuff and left.

Was quite surprised to see that I had already received a text with my official time while still waiting for Bike check out to open.

So I spent the hour watch the runners and man was it humbling to see some of the people. especially Stan Andrews, the South African whom represents SA for triathlon but only has one leg.

I Will upload some photo's shortly, just adding them to dropbox 1st as they are all to big

• Well done TimetoTri.  I think there is an unwritten rule that when cycling it is always a headwind regardless if you change direction.
    When is your next one?

I ran/walked on Sunday morning, did a known  5k route and did not start running until after a 15 minute warm up walk that way it would not seem such a large jump in distance. 47 minutes later I was home and not feeling too bad.
    I then joined Mr Steady and a friend going to Brighton to watch the veteran car run. So ended up walking a total of 6 miles along the seafront. My legs were knackered by the end but I knew if I sat down I would never get back to the car.
    Today I have sore legs, so the foam roller will be in use this evening.
    Note to self do not be stupid and do too much in one day.

• Woo well done Time To Tri, first ever race done and dusted in fine style image How sore are you now and have you got the next once planned image I'm guessing Tri bug has well and truly bitten? 

Well my lovely 3 weeks off are now done and i'm back on 7hrs a week! Arghhh can I do this? Yeah I can. Park run on Sat, 40 mile cake stop ride on Sunday, yogalaties last night, 30 min run this morning and tomorrow is an FTP test in the morning. I think I need a lie down just typing that lot out! 

But we are off to see the new bond movie tonight which means Cheeky Nandos image And physio at lunch time, I'm hoping she can help with my very sore knees, this mornings "run" involved some hobbling, some high knees and some bum kicks to try and get them working , it sort of worked. 

It other scary news I've signed up with a sports nutritionist, filled in the very detailed questionnaire but am struggling to get the body photos they want. I will get them done today some how image

• wow, well done time to tri, CJ and Ali!!

Ali - which sports nutritionist have you signed up with?

lovely 2 mile run/walk with my youngest son who is starting to feel the benefits and then 3 extra miles alone. 

there is going to be a sportive in April on my doorstep but we are going to be away in Wales on that day!! Real shame as doing a 60 mile sportive would have been good practice for outlaw half but never mind!

• Good work everyone!

Mixed couple of days for me. Went out for a run with a mate last night and just wasn't feeling it at all right from the start. Gave up at 3.8 miles as I was just knackered. Was half tempted to sack off the club ride tonight but decided to get out an give it a go and managed a hilly 20 miles at just shy of 16mph average. Thick fog in places but a good challenging ride, and felt strong all the way round. Last couple of miles were fast as the quicker group who set off later caught us up and we didn't want to let them get away...

• Thanks Guys, Below are the last photos i will post on this race. As for the next one, not sure. I have a sportive next Sunday then i need to start training for the Comrades. Injury willing i would like to to this event again next year as well as a 70.3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2j78ucn6jgi9r94/1198_005927.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jz0mt4s4r7s0n9/1198_010501.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t5qn4ijac53x4n/1198_008614.jpg?dl=0

• A great 7.3 mile run yesterday morning and felt good, It was made even better  with the music on my i pod, I had it set to shuffle and some great tracks one after another, Guns n Roses, Black Sabbath, Boston, White Snake, Aerosmith, Queen and a selection of Mowtown, Brilliant the miles flew by.

Well done TTT, First one under your belt.

DB, sounds like a great event.

• FTP test this morning, it's gone up by 2 is that better or worse? Please don't make me do the test again it was just as horrid as I feared.

• A nice steady 4 mile run, deliberatly kept the pace down to stay well in Z2. Avg pace today 10.12 m/mile.
  • 2nd rest day in a row for me. Aiming to get out running tomorrow, then over to Whinlatter on Saturday with the mountain bike to recce the route for the duathlon next weekend and get some much needed proper off-road practice.

• My cycling mojo has vanished, even when offered the chance to sit in the garage nice and warm and dry it failed to show up.

• SteadyCJ I was supposed to start the day doing the same but instead chose a lie in. image

• sore throat image so not doing anything today

in other news - outlaw have just announced a second outlaw half but not in nottingham! 3rd July

• So following the birth of my daughter 8 weeks ago and subsequently doing nothing but eating and getting used to no sleep I am now back ready to start for next year.

I have been reading and got a few more pages to catch up on but it looks like everyone is doing well.

Ali - Im sorry to hear about Barcelona, I was routing for you!

My plan for next year has changed with the focus going to be on shorter/more local stuff as time for training is going to be less as well as less money, but Im sure ill still have fun and thats the main thing image

Does anyone have any idea where the 'new' Outlaw half is going to be? Possibly somewhere South?

• Good to have you back Rocco, sounds like a good plan for next year.

I went out on the MTB yesterday, nothing great but enjoyed it and managed to stay upright, although got a bit miffed at having to almost stop for crazy dogs and 6 horses during my time on the common, must consider slow riding a skill that needs practise.

If new Outlaw half is down south I could be persuaded to go and spectate. 
    The mojo is missing, I got an email for entries to the sprint tri that I have done each year in early May but not feeling the inclination to enter. Or, is this a new way of training do a few years of hard training and then have a recovery year .

• I ran 3 1/2 miles today but not feeling it, it was a slog from start to finish although my pace wasnt bad 10.07 mi/mile .
  • Same with me at the moment Razor, think it's because I've been including more hills.

Club ride last night and loved it again. 22 miles at 15.5mph with a couple of tough climbs. Won't be happy when the ice arrives and puts a stop to the Midweek Miles sessions