Universal Jobsearch!

Not been on for a while, was made redundant so furiously doing the job hunting game. Sadly had to sign on which is a first for me in the 28 years of working.  

Visiting the job centre is the most unpleasant thing ever, I'd prefer to nail my head to a table than go there.  i have a few questions so those in the know please help

What are the rules about filling in your Activity History?   Is this mean to be a daily thing?

What if there are no jobs to apply for?   What do i put?

Is it compulsory to fill that bit in?

Last one, why do folk who work there treat folks like me with such disdane and contempt? 

Many thanks in advance for your advise

CC

Comments

• Cheshercat wrote (see)

What are the rules about filling in your Activity History?   Is this mean to be a daily thing?

Easy enough to make something up

What if there are no jobs to apply for?   What do i put?

Ran Job Search and investigated a couple of jobs, But you can click the "doesn't match my qualifications"

Is it compulsory to fill that bit in?

They can get grumpy and stop your money if you don't

Last one, why do folk who work there treat folks like me with such disdane and contempt? 

Cos they are twats, and it's the only job they can get

Basically so long as you make an effort to stick something in every couple of days, they will be happy.

Easy enough to stick in "Ran Universal Job Match, Looked at Daily Telegraph Online, Checked Monster" Cut & paste that in every couple of days

• asitisasitis ✭✭✭

Or you could always ask one of those dossers that's been on the dole for years and years and never worked in there life. They seem to know all the tricks and get away with it. I know a few if you get stuck.

• Super, thanks for the info.  

Each time i go to the Fat Amanda (Job center bod) she makes me sign on an electronic pad.  Is this mandatory?

• They can see that you have been working for 28 years, so as long as you fill something in they will be satisfied that you have been searching for work.

Unfortunately, the people at the Job Centre regularly deal with the the type of people that will do anything to avoid finding a work and who have been playing the benefits system for years, so this makes them distrustful of anyone that they deal with. The problem is that this means that genuine people like you who are signing on on whilst they are looking for a job get treated unfairly by the Job Centre staff. I had to go there earlier on this year for a few weeks until I found a job, and the computer skills of the staff in there are diabolical. They have trouble operating the most basic of systems. This is probably the only work that they can find. They seemed quite surprised when I managed to find a job after signing on for six weeks, as a lot of people that sign on at that particular job centre end up going there for years.

Good luck with the job search and I'm sure that something will come up soon.

• Err Yeah that's why it's called signing on Cheshire ! 

Stops you getting one of the great unwashed to pop in and do it for you 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Last one, why do folk who work there treat folks like me with such disdain and contempt? 

That's the brain cell they have, given over to their competitiveness.

The fact that they have a job and you; quite obviously, do not, is enough to let them kid themselves they have some sort of superiority in relation to you.

In their minds, that makes them winners, which naturally makes you and anyone else looking for work a loser.

The fact that doing their job doesn't exactly make them the CEO of some FTSE top 100 company isn't an issue.

To them, they have a job. And you don't. So they have an opportunity to look down their nose at someone. It's their only chance. So they take it.

They're wankers. 

🙂

• I want to know why they don't serve coffee there?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Because that would make it Starbucks.

The staff would demand a pay rise.

🙂

• The one thing that makes me smile is the G4S chap.   He's about 70 and a stiff breeze would blow him over & he always looks bored but is the only pleasant one there.

• There's a G4S woman in Chester, who looks like she was a Russian Shot putter in a former life 

• maybe they can see that you are judging them by size etc so think they will do the same back

• It was her moustache and side burns that made me think that way 

• seren nos - he was the politest of them all.  

• Northumberland Runner wrote (see)

They can see that you have been working for 28 years, so as long as you fill something in they will be satisfied that you have been searching for work.

Unfortunately, the people at the Job Centre regularly deal with the the type of people that will do anything to avoid finding a work and who have been playing the benefits system for years, so this makes them distrustful of anyone that they deal with. The problem is that this means that genuine people like you who are signing on on whilst they are looking for a job get treated unfairly by the Job Centre staff. I had to go there earlier on this year for a few weeks until I found a job, and the computer skills of the staff in there are diabolical. They have trouble operating the most basic of systems. This is probably the only work that they can find. They seemed quite surprised when I managed to find a job after signing on for six weeks, as a lot of people that sign on at that particular job centre end up going there for years.

Good luck with the job search and I'm sure that something will come up soon.

Speaking less cynically, I think it's also to do with the fact that they have quotas to fulfill. Have you noticed how many people who can't possibly work have been told they are fit for work and denied benefits? (or, more properly, social security) Or have you seen the figures for suicides related to this?

• I had to demonstrate I could use google to find the jobseekers website..... 

Just got to fix the grin and get on with it, otherwise the riches untold ( or £72 a week jobseekers) will be withheld 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Out of interest, why do so many people put themselves through such an ordeal such as 'jobseekers' for so little money?

£72 per week! most need that amount each day. And more!

🙂

• Every little helps in feeding your little darlings their daily Maccy D
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Our local McD was turned into a branch of Foxtons.

Forgot to mention, they serve coffee in there.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hold the front page.

I've just done a garden job for someone who works in a 'job center' and who had a professional word with me over ten years ago when I was looking for a job. (I've been self employed for a decade now)

I asked about this: Last one, why do folk who work there treat folks like me with such disdain and contempt? 

They said it was true and they do it on purpose image.

"It's not our job to find them work, the jobs are there and it's up to them to sort it out. If we made life really pleasant for them, they'd be no incentive to get away from the job center".

Nice!

🙂

• I spent a few years temping so would regularly sign on for a week or two or longer.  I never got a bad reaction it depends on the staff

They recognised I was motivated to work and were sympathetic and helpful. 

I even got new clothes of them for an interview after a 3 stone weight loss left me with no trousers that would stay up

It was fine to list job searching as just that and not necessarily applying for jobs if there wasn't any

But as I said before it depends on the staff and the staff were good where I had to go

• Work for CAB. They want you to put down what effort you have put in to find a job.

So apply for jobs, look in papers put CV together drop them off a companies. Make a note of all things you have done, if job centre is near go in every day. Although you might not get a job they want to see you have tried

Also working for organisation like CAB jobcentre see this as training