Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

Loved this year, being my first ever Marathon has given me a massive confidence boost. Need to go back in 2016 because my watch battery gave up at 37km.

• Options

I'm not sure why you thought I may be steady t-rex. I don't venture far away - today was my 1st trip into Liverpool on my own! Managed to park and find passport office (more luck than judgement!). Unfortunately passport wouldn't be ready until late pm, so I've got to pick it up 1st thing tomorrow morning - thankfully en route to airport, but may have an issue with Ryanair checking in - has to be done 4 hours before flight otherwise I understand £40+ to do it there!? Hopefully can check in via my mobile, then a quick walk to the local library to hopefully printout boarding passes. I hate flying - haven't flown before without my wife who usually organises things travel wise (she's the steady/reliable one). It's Friday 14th tomorrow. What can go wrong!?

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    good luck JB!

mr panad did the betws trail race last weekend and loved it...he then went out and ran the course again on Monday to find that the parts of the course that were ankle deep in water on the Saturday were knee deep by then!
  • Options

Good luck JB. Hope it all works out and you have a fantastic race.

TR, got to say I am very tempted by the SNOD double. Oh God what am I saying!!!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, we could either all go round in a group - suggest at 5hr pace - or go at our own target pace but with a staggered start so we all still finish at 1000.

Only joking about the triple (perhaps the year after?)

John B - hope it all worked out for you.  I can't believe how the scrape you got into was so similar to the sort of things that happen to me!

• Options

I wish I could have said that my subsequent travel plans went smoothly!! Picked up the passport no problem - just within the 4 hour deadline Ryanair stated for travellers to book in online/print out boarding passes (to avoid £45 charge). Unfortunately I was then able to log into the Ryanair site to book in! Thought it may be because I was trying to do it on my phone, so I tried to find the nearest library to do it! However I am just not used to driving in cities so after about 1/2 an hour I gave up and drove to the airport, which, thankfully, I managed to find OK. After parking, dashed to the Ryanair desk for assistance - told to try the computer near the information desk. Unfortunately said computer was out of order and after checking with the information desk told to try Swissport. Helpful chap there tried to book me online, but I'm told that there was an issue and he'd have to phone Ryanair! 15 minutes later he's back and apologising -he said he'd sorted things out with Ryanair but I'd have to go to the Ryanair desk to get the boarding pass, although the fee was waived! Helpful lady in the baggage drop off must have taken pity on me - apologised for the hassles I'd had and upgraded me to priority boarding and a seat with extra leg room (for what it was worth for a 45 minute flight!). After that, it was pretty straightforward apart from having to be frisked through security and leaving my Garmin in the tray in security!

Thankfully the rest of the experience was a very memorable one. The cross country race itself was just nothing like I'd experienced before - the standard was something else!

• Options
    I was half expecting to find this new thread already on page 20. A relief to see only page 2! Means that I'm not the only one that need to relax and unwind after SNOD15. Recovery is so important after a major event both physically and mentally.

SNOD15 had kick started my love affair for running again image I done more running since SNOD then I did in the preceding 3 months. But that's not difficult when I did nout. But to be clear I'm not over training. Keeping both the volume and intensity low. In fact I was recommended a book by a friend - the author is Dr Phil Maffetone. And I'm starting on a new road of training based all around running only in my aerobic zone and never into anaerobic. So fat burning as opposed to burning glucose for energy and building a strong aerobic base. Its really hard to run so slow.... I had to do a hill reps sessions tonight with the club but keeping my HR below 143. That was tough to do initially but I got use to it and actually held my own with the others who were bent over double gasping for breath after the session. Google Dr Phil Maffetone if you want to find out more about aerobic training and why its so important to just about every aspect running, health and fitness. In short SLOW is the new fast image

Anyway thats what I've been up too.

Re the SNOD house for 2016 I expect to fill it with pretty much the same people that stayed this year but there may be one or two rooms spare possibly. If you want to join us in Halford Hill let me know.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Count Mrs TR and me in, Stu.  And Archie. Not Jnr though.  I shall make sure I bring both (new) car keys as well ...  And much more red wine to save all those journeys to Spar.

I'll try not to be too noisy getting my breakfast about 0400 on the Saturday.

Getting my 2016 race diary sorted out but won't inform until I have actually entered and paid for them.  Includes one very interesting offroad race in July that I haven't done before.

• Options

UDS - if you want some training in how to run slow, I'm an expert image

• Options
    Hiya gang,long time since I checked in???? Some big life changes being investigated! Anyway,not done a deal since Snod.Did a brill Hardmoors gig last Saturday evening,Ravenscar laps in wind and rain.It was awesome,came first. Cleethorpes marathon tomorrow,was supposed to have done a double this weekend but snow stopped play!! Hope everyone ok and weather not affecting training for the Snod double....
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Full-time marathon runner?

Shoe tester?

Weather fine but stuff getting in the way of running at the moment.  Just restarted Pilates after a break of about 3 years because of my shoulder injury.  Can't recommend that highly enough for strengthening the core and other muscles running doesn't reach.

• Options
    Is Pen Y Pass at 10k? If so, I smashed my 10k PB as well as HM and marathon PB's
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    no, just under 5miles Steve..sorry!
  • Options

Entries open for the Snowdonia Trail Half / Full marathons today for those that have registered their interest beforehand. Should get e-mail with link to access from midday with entries open to all from midday tomorrow.

http://snowdoniatrailmarathon.com/

• Options

Well done on your first place Brer.

I have just finished scrapping the mud off following another plod round the Broadway marathon weekend before last. Good fun but not the last 5 miles which felt more like 50! Said I would never do it again but have, predictably, already written it on my 2016 planner!

Legend777 - I am ready with my credit card for entries to open. Looked like the perfect summer SNOD fix

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    you off to Rio Brer?!
  • Options

UDS put my name down for the SNOD house for next year (as if you wouldn't have done so already anyway image). I don't know how you can keep your heart rate below 143 AND run. At that rate I'd be confined to walking only - rather slowly. E.g. I ran a 5.3 mile fell race last Saturday called Harriers v Cyclists. My heart rate averaged at 174 and peaked at 185 for the 54 min duration. I finished in the bottom 39% of starters (cyclists and runners). It was great fun though, and quite a novelty. I took a ton of pictures on the way round as is my wont. The best of them is here.

It's good to hear everyone's news and latest exploits. John Bach your lead-up to the cross-country sounded a bit stressful, but glad you made it in the end.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Started my packing list for SNOD house already:

• two car keys
    • much more red wine
    • alarm clock (for 0400 waking time Sat a.m.)
    • one or two spare phone chargers

I'm still wondering if 2 x 5 hrs is doable.  I know there will be 30 minutes recovery time in between the marathons but that isn't long really.  I would usually count on having a few days recovery. My two best 50-mile times are 8:56 and 9:22 so I think 10 hours is going to be pushing it.  Might plump for 2 x 5h15.

What are other folks' plans?

By the way if you post on here you don't have to sign up for the double!!

Anyone considering the treble in 2017?  I'm toying with idea.  It would have to be about 3 x 6h30 at least.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I make that 2030 start Friday evening, with 2 x 30 min recoveries.

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    I take it it's a 'quiet period' for work at the moment TRex?
  • Options
    I bow to your much, much greater knowledge and experience T Rex. My only comparison is one 40m along the Ridgeway which I did in 7:50. I perhaps could have gone faster, I held back a lot not having gone further than 26.

Treble? Jeez, let me get the double done before I even consider that one!
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Better get a couple of ultras in before October, Chimney.  Suggest about 40-milers.  High Peak 40 would be an excellent choice because it has 15 miles of road.

Any treble would need a willing volunteer to take a photo or otherwise verify the first lap and provide brief aid station duties - at 0300.  Anyone up for that??

I think I'm talking myself into this idea ...

When I'm hatching plans you know I'm not running much, panad!

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    put me down for the 3am slot TReximage
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That's nice, panad.  Thanks very much!    2017.   Be there.

BritNick - I notice you've got 10Peaks Brecon Beacons long course in the runfurther series next year!!  I'd be really happy if you entered this, my favourite event (done all three so far).  As someone with so much more experience than me I would like to see how you go about this one and how you rate it compared to similar events.  There's about 16 000' ascent in it.  How does that compare with, say, the Fellsman?

• Options

T Rex I do hope to do more of the Runfurther series next year including 10 Peaks Brecon Beacons. Sorry but I cannot comment on ascent. It's a statistic of events I never take notice of. I just do them and take it as it comes.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

A good method, master.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

For your info though, Fellsman is 11 000'.  Must do it some time.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hello?

Hope I haven't killed this thread ...

• Options

Still here! Entered the Snowdonia Trail marathon last week. Anyone else doing it? Seems to be filling up fast. Talking of races that fill up fast only 30 days to go before entries open for SNOD16 https://www.facebook.com/snowdoniamarathon/?fref=nf