Doping & corruption report a 'dark day' for athletics

13»

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The elephant in the room is that Coe doesn't get paid by the IAAF. The roles in the administration are held by volunteers.

Any money they make is due to being connected with the IAAF.

The sponsors will stay if it's worth their while staying.

The FIFA business with Blatter and Platini was about a couple of guys helping themselves to some of the mullah without being feeling the need to account for it.

The other guys within FIFA got a bit annoyed by that. It didn't look good and that could cost them the sponsors, and that meant them too.

Coe's only indiscretion is being 100% financially independent for life (even without Nike).  He's a bit too successful for many to stomach.

🙂

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is about his wealth. Rather it is about the perception of how he earned it.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Rather too easily for some I imagine.

Of course, the prerequisite for earning money in such a fashion involves training for years on end and breaking a few world records in a sport which has a connection with the activity.

🙂

• That's an outrageous boycrush that you have there, RicF.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Interesting assessment. How do you work that out?

🙂

•  
    RicF wrote (see)

Rather too easily for some I imagine.

Of course, the prerequisite for earning money in such a fashion involves training for years on end and breaking a few world records in a sport which has a connection with the activity.

There's a very long list of people who've done just that and ended up with nothing to show for it but a few medals and listings in the record books.  Being an exceptional athlete is no guarantee of riches.

RicF wrote (see)

Coe's only indiscretion is being 100% financially independent for life (even without Nike). 

That's what makes it hard to fathom why he turned a blind eye to what Diack was apparently up to - it's not as though he needed to be on the take himself. 

Mind you, who knows what deals were done - the IAAF world champs come to London next time around and nobody's yet asked what went on to make that happen.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

If Coe had been proven to have 'turned a blind eye' to Diack's antics. He'd already be gone.

Not knowing at all is more feasible. I can imagine Diack and his ilk using Coe as a squeaky clean figure head with the proviso that, "FFS don't let him find out about all this shit!".

Yes medals on their own mean 'Jack'. Just ask Greg Rutherford.

Even being super clever is no guarantee of riches. Even being paid vast amounts of cash doesn't mean guaranteed riches. These items may help, but the bottom line is basically the same. If you want to be rich, you have to keep hold of the stuff.

🙂

• I don't know whether it's more feasible that Coe turned a blind eye or simply didn't know, but it seems there were enough questions being asked outside the IAAF for him to be asking questions from within.  And if he did, even if he was satisfied with the answers he must have realised that aligning himself so closely with Diack was going to bite back at some point?  Either that or it's incompetence, and I have no doubt that whatever else Coe is, incompetent isn't one of them.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well Coe has given up all his 'other interests'.

This is because he has to dedicate all his time (18 hour days apparently) to IAAF business.

He checked with his own council and they indicated that he didn't have to [Give them up], so long as there was no direct conflict of interest.

He gave them up anyway.

🙂

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Which would indicate that Coe himself thought there was a conflict of interest.

He is very politically astute and I guess he is not going to be losing out on the long term.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Self preservation. He's only done this after BBC's story about the Nike email.

• I loved his non-apology apology. It was very "I'm sorry if you thought I did a bad thing, and by the way, I'm awesome, bitches", with every shred of bad grace that you'd expect. Clearly the man to clean up athletics. Let's hope that anyone he might accuse of cheating is equally penitent and readily co-operative.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well he's certainly the consummate politician. I watched the press conference 'live' and noted the moment when a journalist asked him (Coe) one question and received an answer seemingly about something else.

It worked. The question wasn't asked again.

That's self preservation.

Lets face it, the press and Coe are essentially role playing. (Adapted from some words from Clive James).

The press can ask as many tough questions as they like and Coe will continue to sit there. And Coe knows he can come up with whatever nonsense he likes and the press won't call off the deal.

🙂

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Ric. This is what I don't get about the relationship between press and politicians. I think all interviews should be done slightly beforehand and have non answers edited out with the sound of chickens clucking replacing their drivel. If they stop getting the chance to talk to the public about something else they would start answering the questions that they are asked.

And a bleep Machine to get rid of inane shit like 'I think it is right and proper' and 'let me be perfectly clear' etc.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The truth is VDOT52, on one level I'm on Coe's side and on another I haven't a clue about what he's saying half of the time. I simply cannot understand the words being used in the order they are delivered.

In fact, when things get really confusing I visualise this scene from 'Pulp Fiction' where the hit men are discussing the level of firepower as regards their targets.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/pulp.jpg

'Man, we should have f..ing shotguns'!

Sort it out.

🙂

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Seems Lord Coe may have known more than he admits, after watching panorama on "Sebastian Coe helped to IAAF presidency by 'corrupt' official", but the programme doesn't seem to have made any waves in the athletics world.