Where to ask fundraising questions?

Unsure if this is the suitable place to ask questions about fundraising?

I have already read through historical threads. Looking for some suggestions and recommendations on fundraising.

Any effective ways of raising - face to face, by phone, on line?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Apparently, romantically challenged women are willing to part with large sums of money if you are nice to them on dating sites.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The general trend seems to be to spam and annoy everyone you know until they give you money just to go away. Unless you have a real connection with the charity / cause then you will probably be ok with a Facebook appeal and people will be more than willing to donate.
  • asitisasitis ✭✭✭

I am able and willing to give my body for the beautiful ladies.

But I will need for the clarity and vilification first.

I am not here to be used. I do have principles and an image to uphold.

• Millsy wrote (see)
    The general trend seems to be to spam and annoy everyone you know until they give you money just to go away. Unless you have a real connection with the charity / cause then you will probably be ok with a Facebook appeal and people will be more than willing to donate.

^^ yup

• Thanks for the responses.

I should have been clearer in my original message. I was looking to hear from others who have had success with the traditional or not so traditional approaches to fundraising? What worked? What didn't?

Facebook appeal, raffle tickets and office bake sales seem to be the common theme.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Start a JustGiving page and use social media to give link to all and sundry, if your message is a good one should bring in plenty.

Or is that too obvious?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Personally, I hate people coming round the office with a sponsor form, then coming back a few weeks later to collect the money - I rarely carry cash and it's quite embarrasing when you forget to get any for the third time.  It's also a big waste of their time.

I do sponsor people on justgiving and other such sites (the BT one doesn't take an admin cut, so the charity gets more of the cash), because it's quick and easy.

Bake sales, sweepstakes and the like are good, if you have the time to bake.

As senidM says, a good pitch is vital, which also links to Millsy's suggestion that a link to the charity helps - if you believe in what you are raising money for, it's easier to convince others that it's a good cause.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I don't sponsor:

ColleaguesT

Tose who got a charity place because they missed out on ballot.

People who ask me to help fund their once-in-a-life-time-completely-irrelevant trekking holiday. 

I do sponsor:

Those making a meaningful commitment to hard training and a real personal achievement, whether that's losing 20 stone or running 20 miles. 

On a case-by-case basis, those who are rasing money for a charity with which they're connected through life-experience.

Otherwise, forget it.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Anyway, now I've got that off my chest:

JustGiving is good, and you're GiftAid stuff is all looked after there too.

What kind of event are you planning and what are the proceeds going towards? 

• A lady I know did a bonus ball thing where she kept half the money each week for herself and half to the winner if you can get that many to chip in weekly?  The incentive that you could get something back worked well

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

That sounds truly awful. 

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

The best way to raise money is to work somewhere that people are highly paid. I remember a friend raising almost £10k for his first marathon in 1998 or so. He worked for a bank when even at that time £100 was a relatively token amount was someone to stump up.

Always get a big donation for the first one on your page. If levels flag persuade another big hitter to sponsor you. Get matched giving from work if possible. Take sponsorship instead of Christmas presents. Include a virtual person in each round of drinks in the pub and put that to your sponsrship. Start saving and stump up the money yourself if you really want to do the event.

• Thanks for all the suggestions.

Has anyone had success with corporate sponsorship? Something like wearing a company logo(s) on the day? Do events allow or discourage this?

I only ask as there a few local businesses (associated to my charity) that I was going to ask for donations in exchange for some sort of sponsorship.

Does this only work for elite runners and/or celebrities?

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

That largely depends on the size and profile of your event.  

Most organisers don't care who you're sponsored by or who's logo you wear.

What event are you taking part in?

Companies, more specifically the people that own them, are either predisposed to giving money to local charities or they're not. They would be more likely to give you sponsorship if the charity is local and the event is local. If it's televised too, excellent, even local news paper coverage is good.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    If its the VLM event,then you normally have to fight people off with a stick, because their first ? is always, "who are you running for".

Any other event you may find their !st comment is more along the lines of "So What".

So, if you want to raise funds for a specific charity, get an entry into VLM, preferably under your own steam, either ballot or GFA, than all money raised actually goes to the charity!