Manchester Marathon 2016

Comments

• Broke my distance record again today - 17.39 miles in 3 hours 11 (so first time I've run for more than three hours, too). I ran from my house to Wimbledon Common, around there, and home via Tooting Common. Average pace was around 11 min/mi but I was consistently in the 10:30s and 40s for the non-hilly pavement sections. There were a few hills, plus Wimbledon Common was suck-your-shoe-off muddy in places and I had to slow to an almost walk at times to avoid taking a tumble. It was quite fun but I did a lot of swearing during the muddy bits.

I didn't take on any gels or water. I was going to try out a water backpack I got from TK Maxx last year but as soon as I filled it, it leaked everywhere. No wonder it was cheap. I guess I will just get one of those belts with the water bottles on it instead.

• Wow well done Cal. I went out meaning to do 6 but enjoyed myself and ended up doing 8.5! Might go out again later...
  • Well done Cal Jones - that's a fab run to do at this stage, what's the plan, stick around that long run distance or go longer, quicker?

IkleBasielButn - good for you, take it easy if you go out again - don't know what it's like where you are but it's a proper pea-souper outside round these parts at the moment.

Was meant to do a slow 12 but did an MP 10m with the club today - felt great, xc, hills, road. 33m for the week, one down....17 to go!

• Yay well done us. I'm doing a 16 week plan but got sidetracked into running 100 miles in December.
  • Keep an eye on Aldi/Lidl deals Cal. I got a replacement bladder for my Mountain Warehouse backpack from Aldi for about a fiver and it hasn't leaked yet.

Well done on the run too. I've got a massive project coming to a head this week and it's really affected my running. Just two park runs in the past two weeks. I'm hoping I can pick up the distance like you have!

• Good running Cal, that is impressive at this stage.

Seems a few have injuries and colds at the moment. At least they are now and can be rested and you will still have time to train.

orapidrun shame on VLM, but at least you have Manchester to fall back on. Not all bad, try again next year image

I managed 15 miles yesterday in 3.00 hours and a few seconds, so I am certainly a lot slower than Cal. Looking back at last years training sessions i am two weeks ahead on my plan and slightly faster as well.

What are people planning on doing over xmas, are you holding back on training or holding back on the chocolates and alcohol?

• I survived my second run - a sedate 3.5 to add to the 8.5 of earlier yesterday... I'm going to try to hold back on the alcohol!

• Two runs in a day, I have to say I have never done that, well done.
  • My Achilles is feeling much better now, I think a few more days and should be good to go, at least it is a rest day today although might go and do some cross training tonight. Still off the cigarettes, it's been a full week now and would have been a lot easier if I was running.

John, I'll hold back a bit on the food and drink but still intend to enjoy xmas but will try and get back up to speed so no holding off on the running, even xmas day.

• Hi all, this is worse than the cold! This is now full on MAN Cold!! Anyway, I still haven't ran again so it's getting quite frustrating now - and my wife is getting on at me constantly as apparently I'm moaning about it - women just don't understand how serious this is! image

Loads going on with you guys so well done Cal, the thought of even running one hour at the moment fills me with dread so would love to be where you are at the minute! Can you keep these LSRs up to the Marathon or are you scaling it back to start your plan as doing that every week will surely destroy you?

Ikle - good luck with the alcohol - it's my biggest downfall but I love these forums where I can look at others and get inspiration (or not feel too bad if I endulge!) John, I'm not really planning on holding back on the drink / eating over Xmas - I am of the opinion you have to enjoy life and I feel I have a good balance between running and life, which is important. I've seen people become obsessed with running (or eating / drinking!) and neither option is a good one so as long as I know I need to put in the hard work and reward myself, I just go for it and have fun!

Sorry on the VLM place orapidrun, there's always next year as many hundreds of thousands keep telling themselves!

For those of you asking about POSE, it's a style of running, too much for me to try and explain here but in a nutshell it's forefoot running.... I'm also no expert on it but it really helped me in resolving all my ITB/shin splint issues. https://posemethod.com/running/ Try that link for information but please don't try and start to do it immediately. I went to a coach for an hour session then had about 4 - 5 months transition period from heelstriking (you'll need it to let your calves get used to it!) but it's one of these things where "each to their own" but there's loads of info out there on the subject if you want to check it out.

Nonstick, keep it up, it's really good going, keep fit and the days will start to fly in. Also, it's only a couple of weeks till all the anti smoking propaganda starts on the tv again and you'll be well ahead of the game by then!!

Catch you all later, off to drink another bottle of Benylin now! image

• Hi all, back after a few weeks of racing ! Rugged Radnage 10k MT race, Benidorm half and yesterday Milton Keynes half (smashed my PB !!! still buzzing from it).

Im taking a week off now before the training plan starts for Manchester image

• Sesamoid - not every week, no. I'm aiming to do a long long run every other week, although next weekend is a 10K and the following one I'll be at a friend's for the Christmas break, with a 10 mile race the weekend after. I may try and see if I can squeeze another long run in on Wednesday 23rd but it probably won't be as long as 17 miles.

Spin and yoga today. My legs seem to be better recovered than after my last long run so I was able to do the hamstring stretching poses more easily.

Hope you feel better soon.

And well done everyone on your runs, especially washwood.

• Thanks Cal, yoga sounds like a good idea ! image

• 4 miles today - definitely feeling some fatigue from Sunday's 17 miler in my legs although they're not sore. Two miles easy (10:24 and 10:20), one mile somewhere between 10K and HM pace (9:07) and one mile easy to finish (10:15). I have a 10K on Sunday so I hope I can recover in time - however it's in hilly Greenwich Park so I don't think it'll be a PB race.

• Well done on the half pb washwood - good going!

Had to do some juggling to get things fitted in this week - today's run yesterday, rest today, recovery tomorrow! Did someone say it's Christmas next week?

Any Star Wars fans here? I'm going tomorrow, can't wait!

• orapidrun, I am a Star Wars fan, not including episode 1, 2 or 3, especially looking forward to this after what JJ Abrams did to Start Trek. Happy to wait till after the rush though so don't go posting what happens on here please.

Did a lot of glute exercises yesterday and stretching, rehab going well, Achilles tendon is responding and is almost back to normal, should not be long before I can get back on it. May do some elliptical training tonight, work xmas party tomorrow so will not have time to do much then.

• Washwood well done. What time did you do?
  • On the LSR i will be gradually increasing my distance up the marathon. However continual increase is no good. So the plan will be something like this in KM.

Race

Something like that anyway, i have not checked the weeks out and the plan will differ slightly i expect.

• Ouch, there's me thinking it's Wednesday today........pah.... I'm going on Thursday. Don't worry Nonstick, won't say anymore about it. Good to hear you're on the mend and getting back into things.

Looks like a sensible up, down, up and then down again on those KM's John Jenkins 8. Hang on, isn't that last 34 a bit long? It's a bit close, no? Up to you but I'd probably bring it down to 30-28 and if anything increase the pace a bit to about +30sMP. Keep the intensity but drop the volume during the taper.

• YIKES !!!! Everyone is on such high mileage already !!!!  Im dropping back down for a few weeks after racing those 2 halfs in 2 weeks pretty hard (for me at least)

IkleBasielButn  I ran a 1.36.29   (previous PB was at Oxford in Oct 1.38.01). 

• Amazing. Yes I'm not even up to double figures myself with long run...
  • Blimey. I've yet to crack 2 hours for a half. Next attempt will be Feb but as I'm more focused on adding miles, it probably won't be there.

• Ahhh you can do it Cal. Its the first year where I have been totally focused on training (training for my first mara early in the year helped). Its odd as i thought Id get slower as I got older but it seems fitter and faster at 40 !! Im doing ok for an old birdimage

• I only started doing races in my 40s and I'm still improving at 48. I guess that's one advantage to starting late.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Some fantastic training going on at the moment. Really impressive stuff!image

Update on my Knee injury-Saw physio again yesterday and she is pleased with the progress being made regarding ITBS injury but it looks like I also managed to get PFPS (Runners knee) at the same time which is going to make the healing/recovery/rebuilding phases that much slower. This type of double knee injury is relatively uncommon but not unheard of and lots of rest is the only cure apparently. Anyway, going to take the rest of December off and then try to slowly get back into it from January 1st (hopefully). I assume I will be very unfit by then so may well be sometime before I can get into any proper training again. Just need to be patient, think positive and take one step at a time....easier said than done....image

• V40 is the way forward! Having pb'd in all of the (what I consider to be) major events (marathon, half-m, 10k) this year - defo looking forward to building on that in 2016!

Did you do Andy Reading on Sunday, washwood?

• Hi all, well done those fit people!! I'm still not able to run due to cold and now back to eating quality street etc by the box! I must have put on half a stone in the last month, not conducive to good Marathon running but will be back in the game next week hopefully! No point in trying now as have another big weekend planned- including Star Wars on Friday orapidrun, getting very excited about that now as sad as that sounds! image

Well done Washwood, always good to get a PB and you did it by quite a bit!

I'm 42 next year so hoping I'm going to get faster with age too but I suppose I really need to be running for that to happen! image

Hopefully back on Monday with a report that I finally manage to get my trainers on and get out there - watch this space!! See ya!  

• I have to wait until Tuesday for Star Wars, alas (but I've spent the last week watching episodes 1 - 6 on Sky).

Weights and yoga for me today.

• Hi Orapid, no I didnt, did you ?  I ran MK winter half. Had a very easy week, only run 13 miles and biked twice. Plan starts tomorrow image

• My plan starts on Tues. Here goes!!