Manchester Marathon 2016

Comments

• Started my training last week although my plan officially started yesterday.

Managed 46miles and ended the week with a 1:26 HM race. 2 mins slower than last year but the weather conditions were worse so happy with that time.

Fingers (legs) crossed i can stay injury free this year. Good luck with everyone elses training.

• Bloody hell McCarthyC that is a brilliant time, crikey i cant even get under 2hrs lol.

Sesamoid, keep the faith.

I am shattered. Did another 15 miler on Saturday (8 mins quicker than last years training attempt), gym on Monday and swim today and i am really tired. Was going to run as well tonight but unless i get a miracle in recovery time i will be staying in and watching TV hehe.

• Thanks JJ, that's really helpful to know that the airport is do-able. Checked out the Radisson, it is more expensive but if I can get someone to share with it will be better, couple people from the club thinking of Manchester so might be possible. 

I'm on par with last year training wise, around the 13-14 LSR but haven't really stopped training as I did dublin marathon so have a good base to kick on from. Hoping to sneak under the 3.30 this year from 3.38 last year.

• Hiya folks happy new year. Just joined this thread and planing on a gfa sub 3.45 at Manchester

Pete

• As above - new to the thread and like eastendrunner looking for a gfa sub 3:45. Did 3:48 in Valencia in November off P&D up to 55 miles and doing the same again with adjusted LT and MP targets. Seems to be working as I managed a 10k pb on NYD.

• Welcome to he thread both of you.

• My achilles tendinitis has now cleared up, managed two runs with no issues then accidental fell down my stairs at home (completely sober) on Sunday, bruised my ribs and my left small toe is black. Hopefully be able to run again the next few days when I am a bit less sore. Looking at the 12 week P&D plan now and revise my goals. At least a did get several 15+ mile runs in before the tendinitis and been doing cross training so hoping this will help get me up to speed for the 12 week plan, also still off the cigarettes which has not been easy with the injury.

Nice to see there has been some good runs over the holiday period, especially McCarthyC on the great HM time.

• Maybe you broke your toe?
  • IkleBasielButn, I thought so too on Monday but can move it now the swelling has gone down and does not hurt, just my ribs are a problem now.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Hope you recover soon Nonstick-you have been in the wars a bit lately! I will be joining you in the 12 week plan with revised goals having missed a whole month of training with knee injury. Glad to say that things are progressing well at the moment and I'm on the 'getting body prepared' phase of recovery in preperation to start the 12 week plan.

Welcome all newcomers.

Keep up all the excellent traing gojng on out there.

• Hi all and welcome newcomers from me too - good luck with the GFAs, due to my issues I will now be going for a BFA!

I won't say I'm happy there are others of you out there having to readjust your plans like me but it makes me feel slightly better if that makes sense in that I'm not the only one having issues and like hearing the positives that come out of the negatives!

You are some boy Nonstick! All the best with your recovery - again! Sober - aye right! image At least you've had some good base mileage in as you say so fingers crossed you'll be back quickly when you're ready. And you stayed off the ciggies - got to be over the hardest part now, especially as everyone on a health kick this month. Same to you Tom, fingers crossed, better to be sensible and revise than go for something you know yourself not to be achievable and kill yourself in the process!

JJ8 - Good to see you still doing so well, keep it up, I have to say I'm impressed with what you're doing and enjoy your updates as you seem a very determined bloke!

Ikle - sorry I have to ask as it's been annoying me but what does your name mean!?! Your very smiley profile pic always cheers me up when I see it, I need to get a new one!

Well I was at physio yesterday, posterior tib tendon is the problem as I expected - they said just because I had not been using it properly since my op it needs to play "catch up" in terms of being utilised. Anyway, long story short is that it feels a lot better today and I managed 5K this morning relatively pain free without stopping in 10 minute miles! Maybe I will get that sub 330 after all now - not!! image

Enjoy your LSRS this weekend - mine is a 6 miler! image

• Thanks Tom13 and Sesamoid, can't wait to post something positive! Had to go to go to A&E on Wednesday as I was getting spasms in my ribs which were really painful but they did nothing and sent me home. Feeling better today but not sure when I'll run again, hoping it's just bruising and not fractured ribs so will only be a few days, unfortunately I can't even cross train at them moment so really frustrating. If I can get out for a few runs next week then I'll be good for the 12 week P&D.

• Nonstick could you do some cycling in the mean time?
  • I'm doing a 12 mile LSR on Sunday...
  • Hi everyone.   Just checking in to say hello.  Good luck Nonstick... even bruised ribs seem to be slow to heal...  but in my experience, when I do finally turn the corner, the pain goes quickly.

I really thought it was 14 weeks to race day... but just checked and it's 13 weeks this Sunday.  I've been doing pretty well in training but not been doing it long enough to have the real shattered legs yet... that will be the big test.

Happy long runs.

• Thanks for the suggesion IkleBasielButn, might be a possibility.

On another note, great north run ballot opened yesterday if anyone is interested, I'm going to give it a try.
  • Nonstick, Never fancied the GNR too hilly for my liking.

JJ has done it the last few years though good chance he'll be doing it again.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Managed a 13 miler this morning with no discomfort in the knee whatsoever. First longish run in 6 weeks so feels good to be getting back on track. image

3 months/13 weeks to race day!

• Tom that's great news!! I did 2 hour LSR just under 11 miles. Very trail muddy and slow!!
  • Hope everyone has had a successful long run today and managed to avoid the worst of the weather. Those following P&D how did the MP run go? Although I'm doing the up to 55 plan I take the long runs from the 55-70 so today I had 18 with 10 @ MP. Target pace was 8:20 (which is faster than my original 8:25 as a result of my NYD 10k pb). Did 5 miles fairly easy to start and must say wasnt feeling too good. However, once I got into the MP miles I felt better and managed to hit the pace consistently. Find it quite hard psychologically though having done 4/5 miles and then thinking about having to do it again. Even worse is thinking 'could I maintain this for 26miles' so best not to even contemplate that. Lapse in concentration, coupled with the fact I was knackered, led to an 8:25 in mile 8 but recovered well to finish 8:18, 8:16 for an average MP of 8:19. Managed the 3 warm down miles and now looking forward to Recovery Week - much needed after 77 miles in first 10 days of 2016.

This is my third P&D schedule and todays run was toughest MP so far - probably because  the target pace is 10-20 seconds faster. Glad to get it done!

• John Jenkins 8 wrote (see)
    Anyone advise on car park ticket which hasn't arrived, slighlty concerned about not getting it yet. Good luck Pete

JJ8 - I was talking to a neighbour who ran Manchester last year and apparently Man U leave it quite late before sending out the parking passes

• Pete Holt wrote (see)

Nonstick, Never fancied the GNR too hilly for my liking.

JJ has done it the last few years though good chance he'll be doing it again.

Indeed, funnily enough i booked it today about 20 mins ago, just before I saw this this post. Going in for 1.55 to 2.00 which will be a PB by over 7 mins, Going to be tough but i am up for the challenge.

• Thanks Robpope much appreciated for the comment, it puts my mind at rest a little.

Bobdidmadrid you are rocking if you are up to that distance and pace already. Well done.

Tom13, well pleased for you that you had no problem with the knee. Dont get carried away though, keep and eye on it and reduce mileage / speed if you feel it again.

Ikle, 2 hours for 11 miles on a trail in this weather, well done you. 

I was on a drop down week this week at 20km (12 1/2 miles) and manage it is 2:17:xx, which is some 8 minutes quicker than this time last year. So i think my target of 27 mins off my marathon time is going to be tough, but the training this year will be more difficult, 4:40 to 4:45 is probably my current goal at present but keeping my eye on that sub 4:30.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Very strong MP run there Bob-you are clearly going well!

Ikle-super effort in those conditions!

JJ-27 mins off is going to be a dodle, sub 4:30 all the way mate!

• Thanks JJ and Tom. I returned to regular running just over 2 years ago when I retired and not sure what my limits are. Did Madrid 2014 (first marathon since Paris 1984) and was pleased with 4:07. Then had a bad one in Valencia (due to poor pre race fuelling). Did both of them again in 2015 and managed 3:50 in Madrid and 3:48 in Valencia (which gives me a 7 minute Boston Qual cushion for 2017). 

Think I can definitely get under 3:45 in Manchester. Going well but always wary of how much to push as the older you get the more injury is likely to strike which is why I am loathe to step up to the 55-70 plan.

Dont know how you guys manage to get the training done and work! The thought of getting home and then having to go out and do a 10-15 miler is something else. Think the only way I could contemplate it would be to get it done early morning like you Tom.

I am very lucky to be able to make the run the main focus of my day.

• Hope the training is going well everyone. I did 9  miles in 1.47.18 today and was running comfortably throughout. Very happy. I'm aiming for around 11 minute pace for the race. I'm a good minute outside at present, but early days and no worries. Still running off the last remains of the Christmas pudding. Talking of which, sweet stuff that is, I noticed an interesting event recently, the chocathon (http://www.teamoa.co.uk/chocathlon.html)  which is taking place in Marsden on the Saturday before the race. It's an easy 9k trail run with chocolates at the feeding stations. I am tempted. Should be a fun way to do a gentle shakedown run to get loose for the main event. The pies at Marsden pie shop are legend too.   

• 13 weeks!?!? image 

Did my 6 miler at the weekend and managed it so 8.5 this weekend as the next step up! Keeping everything crossed I'll be okay, strengthening exercises from phsyio seem to be helping. Am trying not to get carried away so will do some "easy" intervals tomorrow to see how I get on!

Well done on all the good running everyone, some great stuff going on! Shame I had to abandon P & D but looking forward to trying it for the autumn Marathon hopefully!

I also entered GNR today as got my reminder through, so gives me something else to look forward to! image

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Hope you keep progressing Sesamoid. I am starting my P&D plan this week (reduced from 18-13 weeks) so will keep you posted on how it goes.

• Hanging in with P&D - 6th week - it's tough - taking a slightly renegade approach to it, fitting the runs in and the mileage but not quite in the sequences they suggest. Key sessions this campaign will be long runs including MP sections. Last week's was 16m (6E +10MP), it was tough, windy and raining but got it done. Big confidence boost. Cutback week this week, stepping up again next week working towards 55mpw. Injury free, muscles ache from yesterday's XC racing at Shotover Park, otherwise all's well.

If you're on the injury bench, rest is best, wishing you a speedy recovery.