Best Bowie album?

Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs - astonishing run of albums. The Berlin albums were okay but I drifted away a bit after that.

And was he Bow-ie or Bo-wie?

Comments

• Pronounced so that it rhymes with Joey, apparently.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Station To Station for me. Though I've got a real soft spot for Let's Dance.

A unique restless talent that pervaded out and changed the world. As a kid growing up in rural Yorkshire I knew his auntie and cousins - one of whom, a farm worker, was the spitting image of Bowie.
  • Very sad news and extremely hard to pick just one album out from a body of work like that (and I think you can add "The Man Who Sold The World" to the run of albums Muttley lists above - "Width of a Circle" and the title track are still two of my all-time favourite Bowie songs).

However, if I had to pick just one album, it would be "Hunky Dory".

• ZouseZouse ✭✭✭
    David Jones 39 wrote (see)

Is that you back already, Mr B? I thought 'Lazarus' was aptly named.

Hunk Dory is probs my favourite, but it's a close call.

Whatever Tin Machine may have been about still eludes me.

• Lots of people around the place have been trying to think of cool Berlin-era obscurities to cite, when they secretly went and blasted "Life On Mars" first of all- and why wouldn't you?

Personally, I couldn't name a favourite track or album, as in my mind, they exist in a bit of a cloud of Bowieness. I do know that it wouldn't include "The Laughing Gnome", though- that's the stuff of nightmares. It's an impossible call.. for albums.. "Hunky Dory"? "Station To Station"? It's almost pointless to try.

Good catch, Zouse.. beat me to it.. When I heard Today talking of the demise of one David Jones this morning, at first I did think "oh, that guy from The Monkees", and was a great deal sadder when I realised who it was. It reminded me a bit of the time that I misheard the news, and thought Craig David had been shot- but in fact it had been Ray Davies (who thankfully was only injured).

Still, as Tony Visconti pointed out- "His death was no different from his life - a work of art." Even then, he had an album in the clip, ready to go. Some people are just impossibly cool, right to the end. I had to laugh, that's some style. Generations will miss him.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Hunky Dory, which I was exposed to from a young age having shared a room with my big bro. Seems like it's part of my DNA. Ziggy Stardust, Man Who Sold the World, Aladdin Sane...

As it happens, the latest album is the first one that's interested me for a long time. I seem to be more attuned to his more mature voice than I used to be, so I should probably give some of his later-than-early-70s stuff a bit more of a listen.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    David Jones 39 wrote (see)

I think you can add "The Man Who Sold The World" to the run of albums

I have to admit I haven't heard that one ... The first Bowie album I encountered was Hunky Dory and I went forward not back. Will check it out.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

You definitely should Muttley. Great guitar work from Mick Ronson, a little more rocky than Hunky Dory but very, er, Bowie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2L4hL2IvUk

• I really loved the live album Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture, the tracks 'My Death' and 'Time@ are amazing 

Lady Grinning Soul is another song that I love

• Probably Ziggy Stardust and that's the only one I own other than a compilation of his 60s stuff.  

I find with Bowie I really like some tracks but the bulk of his stuff is too theatrical and just comes across as him acting and trying too hard to be innovative.    

He ran out of steam in the mid 80s and I can't be doing with the pretentious pretend art he's turned out since then but then what popular music act has kept producing anything of note for longer than 15-20 years.

• I don't think I can call a best album of Bowie's (or many other artists who've been around for a long time) as there are tracks from various periods that I like, so a "Best Of" would probably suit.  I played his last album, Darkstar, yesterday and was pretty impressed by it

• We went to the exhibition at the V&A a couple of years ago, took Sprog 4 who was only 22 at the time, she was blown away by the music and staging. 

• Ironically I was just thinking that I must expand my vinyl collection, and had identified Hunky Dory, Alladin Sane and Lou Reid's Transformer.

That lot's going to be virtually unobtainium right now.

• I have most of his albums on Vinyl!
    (Wonder if I could be a rich man now)

• "Aladdin" by the way Blisters, bliddy heathen image

Blisters wrote (see)

Ironically I was just thinking that I must expand my vinyl collection, and had identified Hunky Dory, Alladin Sane and Lou Reid's Transformer.

That lot's going to be virtually unobtainium right now.

• JazzijJazzij ✭✭✭

Been looking through my vinyl collection, I've got a few 12" singles and picture discs.

One of my faves is 'Tonight' especially 'Don't look down' and 'Loving the Alien'