Four Villages Half Marathon

Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
First time I have done this race.
Was touch and go whether it was going to go ahead,luckily the organisers had gritters on standby and they managed to make the course raceable.
The course itself is described as undulating and it is tough from miles 8-11,then a nice 2 mile downhill finish,not so nice when you cramp like I did.
Considering it is all volunteers who organise it,it is a very well organised event,full road closures help to make it go smoothly.
Topped off with a 2 min PB image
Well done to Helsby Running club and I will be back next year.

Comments

• Always a good race to start the year off. And thank god the weather was kind for a change this year. Thank you Helsby!
  • First time at Helsby for me today. Good course and great organisation image
  • Thanks gang (I was helping out) it was relief to get a good one under our belt after last year. Always a risk with January races, but that's why people come to us, Inskip, Brass Monkey, etc - there's not much going on at this time of year.

• CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Fantastic event. Incredibly well organised and well supported in Helsby and the villages. I thought the course was brilliant and had obviously been done with runners in mind. The hills were hardly worth mentioning and the downhill from 11.5 to the end was superb! Great running conditions and a 4 minute PB with 1:33. Will definately be back next year - super way to start the year! Thanks again
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add the goody bag was the best Ive received in a while too. The race clipa and high vis vest both really useful.
  • Glad you enjoyed it - nice time too. Don't shout about the clips! - they were a bonus and not everyone got one! (...which inevitably prompts complaints!) They were last year's goodie and we actually gave out over 600 goodies bags to people who'd run the course anyway in foul conditions after we'd cancelled.

• Fantastic Race !   Massive thanks to alll concerned for ensuring the race took place.. Despite freezing conditions, there were loads of marshals and well stocked drink stations with kids shouting their support despite being stood around in icy cold weather..

The course itslelf was excellent.. undulating (closed to traffic) country lanes.. with a fast finish provided great pb opportunity.. Great start to the running calendar, ill definitly be back next year.. also, the foil blankets at the finish were another great touch..!

• Thoroughly enjoyed the race - back next year to run or marshal image

• First time I've ran it after 2 bad weather cancellations and 1 injury withdrawal previously, loved the course and organisation. PBed by 2 minutes though general feeling was that the course had measured slightly long? No big issue though.

Lovely medal as a momento and great facilities at the end. 

Will be back next year, weather and injuries permitting.

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭
    Loved it !!! It's 2 yrs since I've done a half marathon on Tarmac .( prefer mud and peat bogs ) but I signed up to help a mate out who is training for a spring marathon , and this was on the training plan . Loved the route , didn't notice any bad ups , just loved all the downhills . My mate got a pb ! Nice to have route closed to traffic . Lovely marshals . I'll be back deffo next year !
  • This is always a great race. Well organized and a great course. Great to have the roads closed after the bad luck of having 2 cancelled races in two years. This is always considered the first race of the year. 

The lady's in the tea room afterwards are real stars and very welcome with hot chocolate and biscuits. 

• I LOVED this race, PB by 3 minutes.  I am so so glad it went ahead, you don't deserve to get bad comments when you are forced to cancel due to weather.  It was cold enough but luckily not icy, so we could do our best.

Thank you to all the volunteers, braving the cold and who came to support.