Manchester Marathon 2016

Comments

• Hi all, hope the training is going well.

Bigeater, glad you got fixed up with the hotel. You will be fine at the Hilton. Yes the tram goes to Trafford Bar direct from the airport. There are two tram stations VERY close to each other Old Trafford and Trafford Bar. Old Trafford is possibly slightly closer to the race village and Trafford Bar is closer to the race starting pens. There is really nothing in it though really couple of hundred yards either way, so you have planned well there.

I managed a 27km run today (16.85 miles - lets call it 17 miles hehehe). I was struggling from 25km but hung in there. I am two weeks ahead of last years training plan by the looks of it so all going well. Definately need more Long Run to build up but with 3 months to go all is good so far. Whilst distance is good remember i am slow as the above was done in 3hours 15 minutes (snails pace to some of you guys and girls but good for me).

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Will give you the little extre to make the 17 JJ-nice long run.

More very solid training Ikle.

That 21 miler should be good fun next week Bob.

Calling Nonstick. Any news? Are you up and running?

• Finally entered today after an 18.5 snowy trail run

• Thanks Tom. I'm pleased with myself so far... Glad you entered, Runaround. You gotta be in it to win it. image
  • Hi IBB, I think Nathan Kilcourse is in , i'm running for 2nd placeimage this year

• Good running folks and with plenty of time to go.

Calling P&D up to 55m crew, enjoyed the cutback week? Steps up to 50m this week, all will be well, do the long runs slow (within suggested paces), early nights and eat well - preferably don't go to work and stay in a hotel!

• Just another shout out, as a local in Manchester, if anyone has any questions just give me a shout and i will be happy to help.

• After my triumphant 2 miles on Saturday, I went out and ran 4 today. Easy pace. Groin no problem at all. Other bits were grumpy but I put that down to not being used to it. Will have to ease back gently.

• Hello all, 

I've yet to book accommodation for the marathon... Oops!image Any suggestions for me?image

Thanks 

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Great that you are back up and running Cal image 

Taking it easy on the comeback worked for me. I'm sure you will be back to full fitness in no time!

• Ben77, depends if you want cheaper or decent hotels really.

Anything along the Altrincham to Manchester Metrolink tram Line, Manchester Airport or central Manchester. You can come in from other places but it is more complicated if you dont know your way around.

• PARKING TICKETS.

I received an email back from Old Trafford, whilst people have booked them, they will not be sending the parking tickets out until nearer the date. So no panic.

• Hi all, been away with work last week, flight delayed coming back so missed LSR this weekend when I was supposed to be up to 9 miles!

Hi Cal, I wondered where you had gone but glad you're improving! Don't beat yourself up too much, if it makes you feel any better, my LSR is only up to 6 miles so far image will go for the 9 again this weekend but am with you in taking it easy rather than rushing it! I'm guessing you won't be racing the 1/2 though will you? I'm resigned to my Manchester effort now just being an LSR training run for Edinburgh where I am now concentrating my full efforts!

Done 8 x 600 intervals this morning, felt good, physio letting me take the reins off a wee bit so looking forward to increasing the miles in the coming weeks!

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

That's good to hear JJ-was wondering what had happened to mine.

• Just starting the last 12 weeks of training... this always feels like a landmark for me. Time to really knuckle down.

• Thanks John - will hunt out somewhere this lunchtime image

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Did my 14 mile with 6 miles @MP at 4:45 this morning. MP miles 6:11 avg. Most people think I'm mad running in the freezing cold at that time of day but it works for me. I did enjoy it so maybe I am slightly insane!
  • Berlimey. Some interval running for me tonight...

• Anyone elses legs permanently aching now, mine are shot, but being shot i know they are working hard and it will all come good. Did 8km tonight after my 27km on Sunday and managed ok but by god my legs are aching now i have got home.

• I'm finding a 16 week training plan a bit of a slog in that it lasts so long! Used to doing a 12 week one, owing to running a lot anyway, but wanted to do it properly this time to try to ensure a sub 4 finally....

I'm staying in the Motel 1 hotel. Does anyone know if that's really really far from the start and how to get to the start from there?

Fast run today 6 x 2 mins with L4 effort. So very very cold...

• Nice running Tom, I had to read that a few times to realise you were not running at 4.45mm but you were out at 4.45 - not sure what one is crazier! I like to run in the morning but I'm 6am, never been out before 5?!?!

JJ - I wish my legs were aching but as I'm really just starting to get into it, I'm way behind so keep it up, good you are being positive about it and not complaining!

IBB - I know what you mean but the weeks will start to fly by once Spring arrives in early March, I usually tend to start enjoy it more then!

I had a tempo run this morning but got found out and so it turned into a sort of Fartlek / interval session! But I persevered and did the miles so reasonably happy but still way short on my fitness levels! Weights and spin tomorrow though, looking forward to my glass / bottle of wine on Friday and Saturday rest day already!

• Looks like I'm going defer for second year in a row, after 6 weeks rest, went for a run on Monday and my Achilles flared up, not only that but I was also getting discomfort at the top of my hamstring on the same side. Looks like I need a long break and a some physio sessions to get to the bottom of the problem and come back stronger next year.

If thing change in the VEAR near future then I'll be back but good luck to everyone, will jump back on here after 10th April to see how everyone got on.

• That's a real shame Nonstick. I hope you do recover quickly. It's best to put off a race now so you can enter more in the future.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Gutted for you Nonstick image

You are doing the right thing though. Best to get it sorted before it gets any worse. All the best for your rehabilitation-there are plenty more races in the future for you to target!

• Bad stuff nonstick. Sorry about that.

JJ... So far... no.  Last year there were times when my legs felt like they were made of wood.  Don't know if it was overtraining or what - but I think it affected my result...  so tired an a bit achy is ok.. but watch out if it feels beyond that.

I'm up and down a bit with keeping to the plan... but badl   Night race through the woods tomorrow night. Never done it before. Only doing it for the experience - I don't think I want to go flat out... don't want to turn an ankle in the dark.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Sounds like fun NE! Just dont injure yourself with the excitement of it all!

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Just a question for those who have run the Manchester marathon before.

I was looking at the map and saw that there were sis gels available at pretty good intervals. In the past have these stations been well set up so you can get a gel and some water without too much trouble? Also can you chose which gel you get? I saw that some were coffee flavored which don't sound like my cup of tea. I was originally planning on packing my own gels but am thinking I might get away with just using the ones on the course and maybe a backup one in my shorts.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing HA77-have just got hold of some SIS gels to practice with during Long Runs. Have never used any gel before so will be interesting to see how it goes? Do you use them in training and races? If so how frequently?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Tom - I only use them in training for hard long runs with MP sections. I can manage my steady long runs up to 23 miles without gels no problems. Running without gels supposedly helps your body learn to burn more fat while running. I feel like having gels does help though when I'm trying to push hard for a long time so maybe having a gel helps me to do a better MP long run. I will usually take one gel in a half marathon at just after half way, not sure if I really need it though. Last marathon I ran was over 10 years ago and I honestly can't remember what I did in terms of gels. I don't really have problems with different gel types and have never used a gel that I can't stomach, even if I don't like the taste of some. 

I was thinking of taking a gel at every station in Manchester.