Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The cold weather seems to help some runners; the common factor appears to be they are large. 

Yesterday I saw a postie sitting outside (his depot) in the sub zero conditions, wearing shorts. Maybe the ciggy helped warm him up.

As for Julian Goater. Yesterday I laid my hands on a proper photo scanner and went through a few old negatives.

Now I'm not making claims, but this shot I took of the 1989 Hillingdon '5' mile I reckon is fairly good. JG is in there somewhere I believe.

When the winner Neil Tennant went past me near the finish. I swear the ground shook due to the power he was transmitting through it. It was intimidating.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/Copy_of_img036.jpg

/members/images/493151/Gallery/img037.jpg

The ground shook.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well, presumably due to  Tennant's super strength...

Iron - image.  They're not leggings Simon. No getting away from it, they are tights - with all that entails! My son came home asking for some tights for Hockey, but he insisted the coach had said they were Under Armour and not tights at all!!  AG - you wouldn't have grazed your leg if you'd been wearing tights image. Frozen rippled mud can be very sharp and tricky to run on!

Dachs - it's often dozy pillocks who put a kettle of hot water on their windscreen to clear it. By the time it freezes they are either gone or still waiting for the windscreen repair people to turn up image

Ten miles at lunch today in beautiful sunshine. First and last mile in 7:30 as warm up/down, with middle at about MP effort, including mile 9 at just under HMP. 6:47 average for the 10. Happy enough with that given a couple of pretty long inclines involved as well.  I've discovered if I run far enough at lunchtime I can get to Eythrope which is a really nice place to run - virtually closed roads through open parkland. Trouble is, I have to go through 3 miles of Aylesbury to get there!

• I accidentally offended an U13 boy once, who had been spiked in xc, by asking if he'd ripped his tights. 'They're SKINZ,' he said, looking outraged. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image Ahh - that's the solution then!

I wore SKINZ when I ran yesterday morning (I thought that was something used to help smoke a dodgy cigarette...).

• I wore an under armour top this morning and it's true, I did not graze my arms.

I should add that it was my wife's fault I fell, my watch links to my phone and she called me. As I looked down at my watch that's when I fell. I told her it was her fault.

"I was calling you to check you were ok as it was so icy," she replied! 

• Never laddered my LEGGINGS Busimage
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fair play - not laddered my tights yet mind image

• I laddered my leg.

• A bit icy on the track last night. I was coaching and had to can the planned session, so I was kind and gave 20 minutes of diagonals on the football pitch in the middle instead.

I didn't want anyone to get laddered.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Someone mention Neil Tennant?

http://a5.files.biography.com/image/upload/c_fill,cs_srgb,dpr_1.0,g_face,h_300,q_80,w_300/MTE5NTU2MzE2NTU2OTg1ODY3.jpg
    Andrew G wrote (see)

I should add that it was my wife's fault I fell, my watch links to my phone and she called me. As I looked down at my watch that's when I fell. I told her it was her fault.

"I was calling you to check you were ok as it was so icy," she replied! 

You are the real life version of Father Larry Duff

As per IronCat, the track last night was insane.  It started out icy in lane 1, so the first of my 10 x 800 was run in lane 2 and came out a conservative 2:38, but it was icing over with every lap.  The second one was 2:49 due to ice and huge crowds of people, and I stopped timing after that.  I finished the "session", but they were at marathon pace at best by the end, with no grip whatsoever.  It should have occurred to me to go out of the stadium to the grass and do it there, but it didn't.

• Got the lurgy off the missus, so no 20 x 400 today. I'm off work so would have been nice, but I can probably have an easy to and from work tomorrow and up to Sunderland on Saturday for footie, so no running then anyway.

Perhaps an hour on Sunday if I feel ok? With the southerns over a week away, it's probably the perfect time to have a cold I suppose. So sensible these days.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I bet that lurgy has become much worse now you have it Simon image

Some of my best races have been just after a cold has made for enforced rest...

A very heavy legged 6M off road to the station this morning. Avoided any slipperiness and leg laddering though....

• Oh it's much worse than the one she had. Although she was sent home from work early which meant I didn't have to get on the bus to get my kid from school. Silver linings ehimage
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hey - no piggy backs from me image

6M home tonight - much prefer my mud frozen solid than thawed out and gloopy like it was tonight! 35M in 3 days - not surprised my legs feel a wee bit heavy, but they still feel better than just before Christmas for some reason.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Classic balancing of your week there Bus image

I've found Wednesday has had to be my rest day last couple of weeks, so I've instead made the Thursday a 6&4, rather than a single 10.

This Tue was a jaunt up to Birmingham with Phil for Wycombe's big cup tie with Aston Villa. Lost, but it's along the lines of one of us on here competing with a 1hr 05 half marathoner, you're relying on a once in a lifetime performance yourselves, and hoping they're right off their usual level.

Misjudged the food situation a bit, so didn't eat much between 4pm and 12, so back in Wycombe thought sod it, first McDonalds for about 10 years. And it was gorgeous! I wish I'd got 2 or 3 times what I ordered! Did feel slightly odd eating that sort of stuff that late, like some kind of wasted chav on a Saturday night, the type who uses lingo like "man got bare hunger" and "who's got a motive tonight". (And other stuff only the urban dictionary gives a clue on)

Other than that, have been fretting about some major work dinner up north next week. All the top brass, head honchos and erm me will be there. Presumed a suit would be fine, presumed wrong. The man now tells me it's full tuxedo nonsense needed. Gonna end up staying a few nights up north over the next couple of weeks, probably more nights away in 2 weeks than in the last 11 years

Finally have all the gear bought. Ridiculous luck to find that the only Tuxedo shirt in Wycombe was not only in my exact size, but because it was one they'd used for display purposes, and had long gone out of their stock range, they classed it as "damaged", meaning it dropped to a  1/4 price. Bargain!

Phew. Might monster some 200s tomorrow, well, my equivalent, ie 8x200 off 90s. I should probably try and find out the MRI results at some stage too

PHEW

• I've also enjoyed the firm footing of late. December used to be PB season but has been too clement in the past few years.

Busy times SG. Travel can play havoc with training but if you're there for some days it does get easier. Fingers crossed for the results.

easy 10km today. Similar kit to yesterday but with everything being warm now I cooked.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps forgot the 200s i do are actually 12x200s, 8 would be an even skinnier workout.

But erm, didn't do that session anyway, 6&4 today.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Missed my lunchtime run - had to help deal with this:

/members/images/390230/Gallery/WP_20160122_004.jpg

Very cold and wet now! Hope to get out later.....

• Nothing today - even walked to work...THAT bad. Charting the predictable and unstoppable movement of all the gunk from my nose to my chest. And the week of coughing when you don't actually feel ill.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Imagine if the temp overnight was super frosty Bus, that'd be a gorgeous stretch to drive/cycle/run over.

Talking of cycling, in my pure ignorance on it, are there tyres better for icy/cold conditions? Wondered that for probably the first time the other day watching some guy precariously on a pretty dodgy stretch!

• Stevie G wrote (see)

Imagine if the temp overnight was super frosty Bus, that'd be a gorgeous stretch to drive/cycle/run over.

Talking of cycling, in my pure ignorance on it, are there tyres better for icy/cold conditions? Wondered that for probably the first time the other day watching some guy precariously on a pretty dodgy stretch!

For ice - yes - studded tyres. I have customers in Finland who cycle all year round and they have ice tyres with spikes. Cars must also have those from Oct onwards.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Softer rubber helps, as does reducing the pressure quite a bit in soft snow. Proper ice does need metal studs though! It's like XC running though - some people can just do it and others lip all over the place!

We'd have had a gritter doing some spot gritting if ice had been forecast  - never fear SG, always on the case image

• Romsey 5mile race today.

7th in 26:10

Through 5km in 16:15 - 20 seconds than I managed in whole of 2015

Alex wall Clarke winning in 24:24 image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Excellent result there Scott. Sub 5:15's average pace. Well impressive.

Not so impressive for me today; or maybe it was? 

I haven't run in double figures for months but did 10 miles today. Averaged 7:41, and only stopped the once; which is some sort of training record. A bit over dressed but finished the run without any apparent damage incurred. Good!

🙂

• Thanks Ric! I can't really claim 5:15 averages though

Course / Garmin says 4.93 miles image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Scott-good result.

Back on the right path then Ric. I saw lots of overdressed runners out today. I was sweating in a t shirt, but saw runners in thermals, hats and gloves! My longest run for quite some time (in distance anyway). 16.5M road. Oddly, but pleasingly, I actually felt stronger in the second half. 7:21 average is about right.

• Excellent stuff, Scott, impressive time.

Good news, Ric. Bus doing a long road run? What is going on?

I was out on the bike yesterday for 62 miles, first proper long winter ride. Managed ok considering.

This morning was 18 with 10 @ MP. Felt a bit tired from the bike ride so I was pleased with it overall. Averaged 6:24 for the 10 miles and 6:53 for the full run.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Great race time and performance Scott; sound training runs from Bus, Ric (glad you're back and fit again) and Andrew

Back running again myself after missing best part of two weeks with nasty bout of flu. Guildford parkrun (hilly) yesterday in 19'26 then Tadley TVXC fixture today (seriously hilly, muddy and wet) in 38'25 for 35th. Beaten by a few club-mates I ave been beating in the other xc's but hoping its either lingering affects of illness or them improving! Saw Iron briefly there but he'd gone before we could chat. Have the other threadsters given up on TVXC now?

• Not given up on TVXC, just trying to stick to my training plan. Will probably do the TVT one. 

Good running Pete.