Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice weekend double race again Pete!

Big run that AG, and sub 7 for 18 is impressive again.

Yeah road running - shocking stuffimage. Two reasons - want to get some quicker paced long runs in before Wokingham and I'm getting a wee bit bored of trudging through thick, gloopy mud at slower than 9 mM pace! Still a few hills today mind...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tidy long runs, racing and MP jobs fellas. Good to mix it up, and/or have a longer goal isn't it.

I'm all a bit bored with it all at the moment, but luckily, being a very disciplined dullard, I can keep the 60mile weeks going through sheer routine if nothing else.

13 at 6.57, 62miles. As per however many months now. Should probably try and pin some results down this week, but the fear is unless it's really bad news, nothing will change, it'll just be something else ruled out and on we go!

• Excellent result Scott. Well done.

PeteM wrote (see)
    Saw Iron briefly there but he'd gone before we could chat. Have the other threadsters given up on TVXC now?

The plan this week said ride Sat, Suffer at XC Sunday. So I did. image Took the first lap a little easier than last year and then worked a little harder on the second. Second lap was horrid like last year. Couldn't hold a Coaster on the final sprint (annoying) but kicked my best for 93rd and a sub 43. An improvement on last year in terms of placings and time. I will, as usual, blame yesterday's bike for the result. I definitely suffered but always fall in to a gap where I think I should be working harder but can't; but it is not 'hard'. A strange one.

It was nice to see all the faces again, and a shame that XC is now over (I'll be marshalling next weekend I suppose).

Focus is now on Fleet HM and some longer stuff in general.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Awesome time there Scott, more of those kind of results will come if you keep healthy. That's gotta be worth a sub 33 10k.

Nice long runs Bus, SG and Ric (comparatively). That's some nice MP work there AG.

Glad to see you enjoyed the mud at Tadley Pete and AG. I never intended on doing any TVXC this year - Sundays aren't great for me in winter as it's the kids rugby training, plus I enjoy the Hampshire League a lot more. Never ever really enjoyed any TVXC fixture to be honest.

Mediocre 5m tempo in 28:02 on Friday, would have been quicker than that but for groups of people blocking the pavement. Then a 17 yesterday, and 8 today in trail shoes round the muddy park to get over 90 for the week.

• Did an over-dressed 14 yesterday (vest, Cabbage Patch long sleeve top and jacket over all that) so sweated like a pig all the way round. No XC for me at all this year: started with a calendar clash due to Datchet changing the dates by a week, then a few business trips got in the way, then the ITB meant uphill was no good and now it seems a bit pointless as we are at the tail end and mid-marathon season.

• Good weekend, IC.

That's a big week, Dachs. Nice 5 miler. What is it you prefer about the Hampshire league? Is it the courses or the better quality field, surely they don't have more cake?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

They don't have any cake at all.

I just prefer the quality of the fields, it feels like a bigger event and I seem to raise my game accordingly.  I also like the courses a bit more, the ones I've done anyway - I get a bit sick of woody heathland and sandy soils - I'll try to do Datchet next time though, think that one may suit me.

Also, I have an intrinsic objection to the "wahey, mud!" atmosphere prevalent at TVXC sometimes.  XC is really good for building strength in the winter, but if you actually enjoy it you are deranged. image

(I have made some sweeping generalisations for effect above, and I don't really mean them of course)

• Dachs wrote (see)

They don't have any cake at all.

Sorry, I lost interest in your post after the first sentence.

• Not surprised Dachs you preferring Saturday xc - couldn't think of anything worse than waiting all weekend for the pain! the natural order should be sat xc - beer sat pm, long run Sunday. Those vets track finals all day Sunday are the worst...you can't eat anything all day either!

Good result for Scott, great time..thats 32.40's for 10k. Decent run at XC, Iron.

Cold virtually gone, but tiny bit of coughing. Perhaps a session later in the week. Although my hip now hurts as I managed to trip over the kerb and fall properly over outside Euston this morning! Was fiddling with my bag and not paying attention, what a twat image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No worries AG.  There's no cake, but also no triathletes, so swings and roundabouts eh image

• Oh that's good news Dachs, no silly clothing such as calf sleeves or god forbid, arm warmers image.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Simon, you alright? More importantly, did anyone see you???

• Yeah, hip fine. Yes two schoolkids showed mild alarm and a women came to help me up!! My apple was broken and the Belvita biscuits smashed to bits - but apart from that, no harm done. Most annoying is scabs on both palms. Surprisingly painful.

Planning to do something at Regents pk this lunchtime. not involving falling over....

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hope those palm scabs don't interfere with your love life image. Glad it was only your snacks that were hurt though!

Took a tumble myself this morning - tripped over something in the semi-darkness. Nothing hurt and nobody saw it, but it did involve a forward roll through very thick and gloopy mud so I did look even worse than normal getting on the train.....

• You guys are so clumsy.

• So am I image

Bus - No me and Pamela get on fine. The 2nd love of my life after the missus. Very hands on. Bloody work manic so no sneaking off for a sneaky run. I have a runner's strop on. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image and Andrew imageimage

Pretty grim run home tonight - mud, wind and rain. Those shoes I was raving about are also causing me problems! The upper is digging in somehow just behind my left 3rd toe. Really annoying as it is disproportionately painful and they are otherwise great shoes! I can't even work out why as there s no seam there, but just where it flexes down I guess, combined with my weird lumpy feet. Even more frustrating is the last pair of trail shoes I bought, I had to stop using 'cos of a similar problem on my other foot. I could wear tone of each I suppose, but as the grip on one is so much better than the other, I'd end up running round in circles when t's muddy image

On the plus side, despite the grimness, I actually felt quite strong tonight - you wouldn't think it from the 9:06 pace, but that's better than the 9:40s last week in similar conditions image

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Proper track reps for once in the howling gales and rain tonight. 6*800 off 60 with 800 WU and CD. Reps came out 2'55-3'00 range so ok if nothing special.

Tadley TVXC results out; club got its best ever placing in 2nd so maybe being beaten into 4th club finisher not so bad after all. 33rd outright in male placings.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Shame about the shoes Bus. We take the things for granted when all are working well. 

I'm managing to combine running with cycling right now. From the position of recovery I don't feel I can run back to back days without breaking down. 

See the new picture. I took that in 1975. As far as some of the inhabitants of the 'Clubhouse' are concerned, that's me being held up to the camera.

🙂

• Easy 7miles this morning, got slightly lost in the wilds of Bracknell but home in time for bacon and eggs. A tad blustery out there as Pete mentions.

Seen the TVXC results and shocked to find I managed to score for the team. Just like in the old days.

I hope those of you who have taken a fall are recovering well. Simon, some form of palm moisturiser should kept things remain supple image

Dachs do you really think TVXC is all mud? Other than Datchet I think the others are a pretty good mix of trail and hills with Tadley being the outlier. I haven't seen any pictures of Parliament hill type XC without mud.

That's a very clear pic Ric and no Kodak 70s warmth either!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Zenit B SLR and Kodachrome 64 combination, IC.

Used to spend ages composing a shot, getting the focus just right (it's all on the eye of the subject).

While others blasted away 'hoping' for one good shot. I'd wait for the 'moment'.

Nothing special about that. I just hated wasting film.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Zenit B SLR and Kodachrome 64 combination, IC.

Used to spend ages composing a shot, getting the focus just right (it's all on the eye of the subject).

While others blasted away 'hoping' for one good shot. I'd wait for the 'moment'.

Nothing special about that. I just hated wasting film.

I had a Bronica SQ, which only took 12 shots on a roll. That was expensive to use but lovely 6cmx6cm pictures. Sold all the kit on ebay and gave all my darkroom stuff to a local art teacher.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The Bronica would have been a major step up for me. It's funny really, when I was fishing Tring, there was a lad called Simon Coombes (no not our Simon Coombes) who was a couple of years younger than I was. One day after he'd caught a massive fish of some sort, he produced a camera he'd secretly borrowed from his dad; a professional photographer. 

Not often you see kids wielding a Hasselblad. Fantastic shots. The detail.

To get back to running. While fishing those reservoirs, there was a runner who used to do laps of the place (Wilstone). No idea who he was, but I realise now, he was shifting.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I spend a fair bit of time trying to get my father  in law to understand he doesn't need to worry about using up film with his digital SLRimage

Short of time at lunch today, so a hope for 10 with middle 8 as progression to 10k pace turned into a 5. Set out to do a tempo, but the wind put a stop to that - ridiculous! fall back was to find a relatively sheltered length of cycle route and do some 0.25M reps. Squeezed in 7 off 60 (ish) secs recovery - 1:23, 1:23. 1:24, 1:22, 1:21, 1:21, 1:21.  Hardly quick, but got the legs moving better than just fighting the wind I guess!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He he - just spotted that my last rep today coincided with a very short Strava segment, so Mr Kimpton will be getting that email saying he's lost his CR image

(Yes, his was a probably just a jog as part of a much longer continuous sub 6 run no doubt, but I'll still take it!)

• A kill is a kill Bus and consistent reps too.

10km progression run this morning. Staring nice and easy and then ramping into the next 15s/km bracket each km, finishing with 500m at HM pace and 1500m cooldown.

It was a lot cooler than forecast this morning but nice and dry.

• Good work IC, nice CR Bus.

I lost a CR the other day and looked at the chaps run and he's called it "going for the so and so CR run." Now if that was me I wouldn't be so blatant about my intentions.

When I take it back, which I will, I will probably just call it easy recovery run and not wear my HRM image.

There and back commutes for me 9 home yesterday and 10.5 muddy hills this morning. Feeling pretty slow and tired at the moment. This plan is hard.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good work Bus-man.  The reps seem to be getting quicker towards the end, so that's good.  Good to see you mixing it with the big boys!

Nice progression IC, good to see you back amongst the sessions.

Track last night for a staple HM session - 4 x 3000m with 600 recovery.  10:02, 10:06, 9:56, 9:55 for the reps, albeit that I had to stop a couple of times on the last one to stretch out my thigh when it started feeling a bit sore (stretching time clearly not included in the time above!).  Decent session, I seem in potentially similar shape to this time last year, I'd like to think anyway.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks chaps image

Iron - nice progression. For a minute I thought was a 1500m PACE warm down!!!

AG - definitely the way to deal with taking it back! Not surprised you're tired  - big distances, and mud takes it out of you more than you ever realise at the time.

Dachs - stretching??? Don't believe it image That's one hell of a session. Psychologically, given that a sub 10 for 3000 is an aim for many a decent club runner, to pretty much rep for in a row must make you feel strong! We just need the wind to stay away from Wokingham image

Double mud for me today. Shoe issues meant I ended up cutting the am one a bit short (and still only just made the train!) and lengthening tonight's, so a 6.8 and a 6.2 to get the 13 for the day needed. Both VERY slow, but one of the many things I'll never understand about running is that even though the pace on each was similar, I felt absolutely shagged this morning, but strong (ish!) tonight..