Aching feet

Hi all

I posted here a couple of weeks ago, basically when I hit 5 miles my toes become numb and are really quite painful.

Yesterday I bought a new pair of trainers(Adidas), this morNing I ran 11 miles in them, same thing is happening, aching toes at mile 5 and also both the outside of my feet were really hurting, they are not too small for me, I am at a complete loss of what to try next, I am training for a half marathon but right now feel like throwing in the towel!!

Advice gratefully received!

Comments

• If you damaged them in the old shoes then they need to recover ? Rest / ice? Give them a week off then do a few short runs in the new trainers before going further and then see how they are.

• grodergroder ✭✭✭

Thanks book trunk, I feel I need to get to the bottom of why this is happening, I have been running for 10 years and have never experienced anything like this!

• Adjust your laces? Laces that are too tight can cause numbness if they're pinching on a nerve. Try googling different ways of lacing up your shoes and see if that helps.

• grodergroder ✭✭✭

Thanks running rodent this is worth a try for sure!

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    perhaps a silly point, but I never wear the same pair of trainers in succession, always have at least 3 pairs on the go, atm decathlon ld, mizuno wave 15 and a newer pair of wave 17, plus another pair of Mizuno somethings I use for Tris.

I'm not sure if its been proven but I found that my feet problems were lessened by never wearing the same shoes twice in a row, and I've gone through just about every make until I found that Mizuno suited me, but they're not for everyone and you may have to search through the makes until you find out "your" make.
  • grodergroder ✭✭✭

Thanks senidm but I can't really afford to keep buying trainers!

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    No, perhaps not, but then I've been running 25+ years, and buying 1 pair a year isn't that extravagent, so my oldest pair are 4 years old approx, and my newest 6months, but they do last longer as each pair only gets worn once a week and I swap round when I do my long runs.
  • groder wrote (see)

Thanks senidm but I can't really afford to keep buying trainers!

Umm, you do realise that if you own four pairs and rotate them, that they will generally last as long and cost the same as buying four pairs sequentially, but with less exposure to obvious overuse injuries, right?

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Get your back checked by someone decent (not a massage therapist).

• I found that my toes went numb not due to trainers, but due to the socks that I was wearing.

The socks that caused the problem all had a tighter rib around the mid-foot. As soon as I changed them for much simpler padded trainer socks without the rib, the problem seemed to get better.

• grodergroder ✭✭✭

MacFinBob - Thanks, I have considered the sock issue as well, I am going to try this and also look at lacing my trainers in another way.