Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

As I've been away for awhile, what are you all training for this year?

I have no plans, just want to get back running and build from there.

• Steady, if you find your motivation, let me know, perhaps mine is close by.  I did one run this weekend and it was so slow.  Running on my own has become tedious.

I didn't even bother to walk to the top of the building today. I really need a local running partner!  These long days and fighting Houston traffic is definitely taking its toll.

Keep going everyone one, don't mind me!

• I've been struggling for motivation too! Watching my OH run 44 miles at Country to Capital has helped image

Very cold run last night, turbo before work today. Bring on 2016!!!

• erm, I seem to have had a couple of days off, didn't even go to masters swimming on Sunday which I love.

and youngest son is having bullying and friendship issues at school - being a parent is hard work!!

• Hi everyone, hope everyone had a good new year. 

Im back from my honeymoon so training has started again. Popped to the gym last night and tried my new running shoes out. They feel great but my ankle still hurts a little from a gout attack at Xmas when i run. Hopefully it will stop soon.

Felt fine when i went for a swim after so will have to keep an eye on it. Turbo time tonight oh the fun.

• Saw some of the photos, looked like you had a truly horrible time out there...

• It was torture Durham, not sure how people can retire and go to places like that lol

Well turbo last night, was interesting, felt like i was riding through shit. My legs hurt and was knackered after 20 minutes.

Think my body clock is still up the chute as ive been waking during the night etc and just feel so tired this week. Hope this improves soon.

Swim and run tonight

• Hey. Brizzle!!! Congrats and looks like you had a lovely time. Has the rest helped the injuries? 

Aw Maths, I feel for him. I was bullied mercilessly at school. Awful seeing your child suffering like that. Hope it gets sorted.

Weeks training ok so far. Rest day today. Then off to Manchester on a girlie road trip at the weekend image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm starting to get bit tired, all this regular commuting getting to me. Though I guess jumping from last 4 months average of 82 miles to 140 and counting is bit of a step up. Plan is to cycle to work every day this month. My commitment is going to be questioned  next Monday and Tuesday though. Have two hard matches on Sunday coming up and might be bit sore afterwards and on Tuesday we have a work event in Guildford. We're getting a minibus there from work but if I cycle I need to be leaving 6:30, not good when you're getting more and more tired...

• evening

mikasa - can you get to work without cycling? Maybe give it is miss for a few days and get a bit of rest

MrsD - thanks, he is really sensitive boy, seems a bit happier today but still wanting lots of hugs and attention. 

haven't done much this week, and feel like I am coming down with something....

• Done nowt for a week, nuff said.  image

• So far run Mon and Tues this week, nowt Weds/Thurs. Having a quick coffee now, then off out for 4.5 miles with a mate before having a few beers. Also thinking about running to parkrun, doing parkrun, then running back tomorrow, but that depends on how many beers get drunk tonight I suppose...

• Razor, I am in the same boat as you. image

House clearing and hoping to get the heating back working at the property, thank goodness it has warmed up a bit. Busy weekend but no sport.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Oh I was so tired cycling to work this morning, legs like lead after training last night and therefore recorded my slowest time to work yet. Funnily enough felt refreshed coming back and although I thought I took it easy, I recoded my second quickest time coming back. image Still on for 200 miles this month even if I just cycle 4 days next week. Monday's going to be tricky though...

• Well done Mikasa, I wish I could commute, my bike is full of cobwebs in the garage.

Steady, I've had a bout of CBA'ed but I will get out in the morning for a longish run.

Hope you got your heating sorted.

DB did you make it to Parkrun ?

Mrs D, where are you going in Manchester?
  • Nope. Going out for at least 8 miles tomorrow instead

• afternoon

I have run and swam, so happy with that, and had a 10 minute nap on the sofa before going off to see eldest son playing with the Police Band at school. 

• Got out for 9 miles. If I'd gone out earlier in the day I reckon I'd have gone for a full half, but ended up going to Decathlon to sort out my presents off the missus for my birthday next week, as I'm in dire need of new bib shorts and some arm and leg warmers ready for our road trip to Spain through the Pyrenees at Easter (wooo, big hills!). Slow pace, average of 10:45 but it covers the distance. Manchester 11 weeks today...

• DB, I don't need reminding mate, 7 mile run for me this morning 10.05 pace, found it hard to stay in Z2. think I might enter the Oulton Park half marathon tat is at the end of Feb, nice warm up for the big one in April.

• evening

well done DB and razor

I also did 7 miles run/walk this morning. My legs didn't seem to want to do anything so just took it very easy and enjoyed the warm weather image

I have signed up for trainer road to give it a try, so also squeezed a turbo session in and masters swim tonight

• Hi all, looks like everyone is doing well.

My knees are still shot so no running but stomach issues are calming down now I'm on a very restricted diet. So some swimming and turbo sessions achieved and I might just be back in the game image

Knees are a work in progress with fortnightly physio, tape, acupuncture and shock wave treatments.

Neither knee cap tracks properly long term bone issue, and because they're both inflamed and swollen it's worse than ever. Not sure what started it all off (can't have been Barcelona image ) but as fast as it calms down I pop one again by doing something extreme like walking downstairs...

Turbo sessions are now with trainer road on virtual power, had to do one where you decrease your power but increase your cadence. Yeah right that's like trying to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time! I think I just about got it right one try out of 5! Good fun though and that hour on the turbo flew by.

• it's good to see folk everyone doing long runs...I'm still at the 5K stage.  It was actually cold on Saturday when I did the local 5K group run.  The poor Houstonians were wrapped up in running tights and hoodies whereas I was happy in shorts.  I guess I haven't yet acclimatized.  I need to wait until the times are posted as I left my garmin at home and I don't believe the time that they called out when I finished.

Ali, my knees are also giving grief, they won't track properly.  I'm doing some very silly stretches and using my roller to try and control it. 

• sorry to hear about knee issues Ali and pete, mine are just about hanging on but I think that is mainly because I mostly do run/walk. When I up the running part my knees complain, but I reckon if I do it gradually I might eventually get there, or I can just do run/walk for all the longer stuff, I am happy with that, better than nothing!

rest day today and I definitely needed it

• Was going to go for a 4.5 miler with a mate tonight after work but he wussed out. Legs felt heavy today but not too bad considering the 9 miles yesterday. Decided a rest day is probably the best option though, and I'll either run tomorrow night or turbo, Supposedly got the Whinlatter duathlon this weekend, but looking at the weather forecast it's going to be as bad, if not worse, than the weekend they postponed it

• Good running DB and Razor, I am with Alibear no running at the moment.
    After 2 long days at the weekend sorting and clearing at FiL house, needed a rest yesterday but this morning went for a swim.

Aiming to enjoy what I do and not enter any events until really ready to do so.

• Swam this morning and actually enjoyed it, in a public pool too! Magic must remeber this for the rest of the years sessions where the usual getting swum over/into stuck behind people not wanting to get wet hair resumes...

I must stretch as I'm hyper mobile so the amount of pressure/bend required to stretch my quads (which are the cause of the issue) would be far too much for poor ikkle knees to take. Just kneeling will have me swearing at the moment. I do get to play at being super man on the foam roller though and am becoming queen of wall sits , which again I have to do with a prop under my heels other wise I just stretch my achilles which is not the point. I should have been a contortionist not a triathlete...

• So, I have lurgy image  That means I am generally jealous of the good running. Feel extra sorry for the injured ones and hope I'm back to it soon.

Razor, stayed in Accrington with a friend. Had the day in Manchester shopping and trying cocktails. Was excellent image

• Nice one Mrs D. Get well soon.

Went for a run tonight with my chest light from Decathlon, really bright with the added bonus of a flashing red light on the back, only ran 3 miles and hated every minute of it, not feeling it at the moment.
  • Saw those lights the other day Razor, they good then?

Had every intention of going out for a run tonight, but not feeling great since getting home from work. So cooking the tea and relaxing instead. Will try again tomorrow!

• DB, they are really good only had mine on the first setting as I was on the road but have used on a pitch black path with Horse and had it on the max setting and we could see everything in front of us for 30-40 mtrs, deffo worth the money.

Not enjoying the running at the mo but need to keep at it and increase mileage.

Some nights after work it's hard getting out of the door especially if it's pissing down. Just managed to miss the rain tonight.