Options

Just something I threw together...

Do you ever chuck some ingredients together and see how it turns out? 

I have a thing for using up odds and ends, I am always surprised but they seem to turn out quite well.

Comments

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I often end up with various Indian dishes and a load of beer just laying about on a Saturday night and I am always surprised at how good it isimage

Also sometimes after that I end up with a coffee and then happen upon a few biscuits and that can be very good too.
  • Options

I like to make veggie soup with whatever we have and mash it. Tonight's has onion, parsnip, potato, sweet potato, swede, celeriac, carrot, brocolli and peas. A few slices of a spelt boule and a bottle of red. I did have a squash but couldn't be bothered to peel it.

• Options
    We call these meals invention tests as on Masterchef....it's amazing what a few spices can do to a pile of leftovers
  • Options
    ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

If you know how to mix flavours, then improvisation nearly always works, I reckon. In our gaff we regularly have everything-in-the-cupboard pie, and freezer-remains curry about twice a month.

After Xmas I was banned from eating my lunch in our office at work. I don't know what's so antisocial about sprout, leek, broad bean, kale & lentil soup, but apparently it is 'offensive'.

• Options

Can't be as offensive as the person where I used to work who used to microwave an identical packet curry 5 days a week image

Last night I fried some onion and blended some fresh and sundried tomatoes and chilli pesto all of which were hanging about in the fridge. It made a lush pasta sauce.

I find chopped up sprouts can be bunged into most things.

• Options

the best place to put chopped up sprouts is in the food bin.....

The problem with mixing up a random meal...is that it was be so amazing but you forget how you did it and cant recreate it...image

• Options
    ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

Hmm. Memory problems are an issue. I normally end up scribbling some illegible notes on a random scrap of paper that inevitably gets gunked up in gawdknowswhat in the kitchen, leading to its swift passage to the recycling bin.

On the positive side, it's always a learning experience when you attempt to recreate it at a later date, and realise that you've left out the cumin/ginger/chickpeas and maybeitcoulddowithturningintoalasagne?

• Options

We have an old iPad in our kitchen in a waterproof case, connected to some recipe software, so we can read / create new recipes and add them to our database image

• Options
    ZouseZouse ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

We have an old iPad in our kitchen ...

Wut? One of them vintage, retro ones? 

The only tablets we have in our house have a prescription attached to 'em. image

• Options

Ah, but surely the fun is that it might be unique - you may never have the same ingredients in the same quantities ever again!

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

This is the correct way to use an iPad in the kitchen. You don't need to understand German.

• Options

I do occasionally get forgetful when I'm on autopilot - it could be that I do that with mine one day.