Mileage build after reducing miles

Looking for advice as I'm not sure how to build up. Pre-injury - was running three times a week and swimming and spinning the other days. My longest run on a Sunday was 17 miles. Four weeks ago I started with Achilles tendinitis and so rather than resting until it cleared I rested all week then ran again on the Sunday (my long run day). The following morning it was apparent I had made the niggle worse so I rested again ( usually do two further runs in the week then a long run on Sunday). I then ran in the Sunday again but I reduced the miles to 10 to see if this would help. The following morning I felt stiffness again. So I continued the following pattern and rested all week again. Third Sunday came along and I did 6 miles. The following morning still stiffness. So.... I rested all week again. It's now the fourth Sunday (today) and I was due to go out to run as the stiffness first thing is now disappearing and no tenderness on pinching the heel now but I have come down with a cold and really don't have the energy to go out. So I'm going to attempt a run tomorrow instead. My questions are: Have I lost all of my running fitness? What miles shall I attempt on my first run? Hope you can help.

Comments

• If you had rested earlier and not bothered with the Sunday runs the injury would gone sooner. If you now have the flu why don't you wait until it goes. Whato all the rush for anyway? Yes you will lose a bit of endurance, but fully fit you'll pick this up quickly. If the body is in pain, it's a message, listen to it. 

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    overreaching can also leave your immune system weak so there's a fair chance that you have increased your odds of catching colds by doing this to yourself.

get some rest.

after that ease back into it with some walking.

To the physio.
  • Don't try running with axhillies....when it feels OK then try a walk....if its OK then try a longer one...then one with hills....if that's psinfree then try putting some shirt runs into the flat walk....

Axhillies ca become a major problem...I ended up having to rest for 5 months in 2008..

Also are you still swimming and cycling....if cycling avoid hills and any spinning that puts pressure on the Achilles...... Similar with swimming....do not push off from the side using the injured foot as that will also affect the damaged area..

Try massaging the area regularly and when you start running again don't go out long...build it up slowly monitoring for pain each time

• Hi thank you all. Getting over the cold I think. I have been spinning so maybe I need to stop that and whilst swimming I push off with just the good foot as I soon learnt that one.

Have to admit I've not had a cold in years so I do see some relation in nayans post.

I just worry about losing fitness but that's something I have always had to deal with in my little head with niggles.