Heel drop and Plantar Fascitis

Looking at a new thread of yet another fellow-runner suffering from Plantar Fascitis I was going to recommend some Sorbothane heel inserts, both to provide extra cushioning where it hurts, but also to raise the heel slightly to relieve tension.

Then made me wonder about all these runners who have gone over to either Vibram barefoot or zero drop type shoes. Do they suffer a lesser risk of PF or is it actually higher or has no effect at all?

Probably someones already done an extensive study and I'm just to lazy to find it, but I'd be interested to learn of any instances where runners have found it helps or worsens their PF to try or use different heel drops.

Purely idle curiosity on my part, not suffering myself, not atm anyway, TG

Comments

• Hi, i'm currently suffering with Achilles tendinosis (degeneration of the tendon rather than inflammation (tendinitis))

I've been doing the alfredson technique - eccentric heel drops for over a week now but I think this covers PF too.  I will certainly continue to do these exercises once this AT clears up.

Still getting soreness and stiffness - first thing in the morning.

My question is how long does the soreness last for?

• LinsmcLinsmc ✭✭✭
    Was it my thread you're saying about? Was back at my physio today who changed my orthotics to put a different heel pad on to try further to relieve the pressure on the heel as it seems to be getting worse. I couldn't imagine running in a barefoot type shoe
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    May have been Linsmc, just set me off wondering if Barefoot type shoes had a greater or lower incidence of PF type injuries, but don't think I'm going to get enough responses to give any results!

From my own viewpoint I find that a sorbothane heel lift helps generally, but then I only get occasional twinges of PF. I did suffer more at one point but I'm an Acupuncturist (retired) and have my own self-treating methods that worked for me.

Once you're through the other side of PF it seems its not a re-occurring condition, but am not sure if thats general.
  • LinsmcLinsmc ✭✭✭
    So I just need to get through the other side then...
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    I'm not you're Physio, just some random bloke on a thread, what do I know! image