Options

Dublin marathon 2016

I'd really like to start training for my first marathon and I'm thinking of entering Dublin this year. I wasn't able to get a place in London so have been looking at other options.

I was thinking that there should be a good atmosphere, which I think I'll need to help me get round. Can anyone advise whether it would be suitable for a first-timer like myself?  

Comments

• Options
    plazzyplazzy ✭✭✭

There aren't many that can match the atmosphere of Dublin*, and the course isn't too bad.

And as for the ale afterwards, its a good laugh.

So yeah, its suitable image

*Apart from Liverpool.

• Options

Dublin is great. Very much like a mini-London with the set up and expo etc. Support around the course is brilliant and the course is good although there is a nice climb around 23 miles. Nice flat finish.

So if you train right I would say it's very suitable for a first time marathoner. 

• Options

Agreed. 

I've done it the last two years (I live fairly close) and it's a good marathon. Great support, good atmosphere. Main hill at mile 23. Couple of other cheeky hills around the Phoenix Park. 

If you are interested I'd suggest you book accommodation tonight (if you do it via Booking.com, you'll be able to find place that you can cancel later if you don't want it).

It's been moved to the Sunday this year for the first time to make it more UK friendly, it was always on the Bank Holiday Monday, which I don't think is a holiday in the UK.

Stay afterwards. Dublin is reputed to have a few half decent pubs...image

• Options

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've taken the plunge and registered as well as booked my accommodation!