Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Hi Mrs LP

I'm from Cheshire originally, but I'm in texas now.  You do know most of the folk here are crazy...they do all this exercise.  regularly.  I'm sure it isn't good for their health.

10k at the weekend in the centre of houston so another 5am start.  This one is huge, I think there will be thousands of runners and then it's the rodeo parade.  I'm going to park some distance from the event just so that I don't get trapped by lots of folk on horses wearing cowboy hats...yeehaaw as they say around here.

• Thank you everyone for the lovely welcome.  Good luck for your 10k Pete, it sounds like lots of fun!

Has anyone done breaststroke in a triathlon?  I know how to do front crawl but at the moment I can only do about 2 lengths of it before I start feeling like I'm about to drown and panic!  Hopefully I'll get much better in the next 12 weeks, but if I don't can I just do breaststroke?  Or alternate them both?

• Mrs L, You can do doggy paddle if you want????

Breastroke is totally accepted just don't roll on to your back and stick your hand in the air or someone will drag you out ????
  • Breaststroke is quite common, at all distances but especially in sprints, so you'll be fine.

• Oh yeah, I did breast stroke in my first couple then trained hard to learn front crawl. But panicked in my last race and swapped to breast stroke after two lengths. Its really common. Also don't worry about being last out of the pool. Its more fun to catch folk on the bike/run sections. Actually just have fun, you can worry about position later. 

• To quote a "song" I've been listening to quite a bit recently after being reminded about it in some triathlon related banter, "The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself". I don't care if I'm last, as long as I feel I put a good effort in that's all that matters.

• pete - have fun this weekend!

MrsL - I did breaststroke in my first as I hadn't learnt front crawl. Some people do breaststroke in ironman swims so don't worry. And a good breaststroke can be faster than a rubbish front crawl. But for open water swimming, I find breaststroke really difficult in a wetsuit....

I have shaken off the lurgy and done lots of running this week

off to swimming soon

• Managed a 14.2 mile run this morning. 3 miles down to Parkrun, then did Parkrun, then took the scenic route home for another 8 miles. Walked up the hills to keep heart rate down, and should have taken it easier during Parkrun but I seem to have this issue where I have to stay infront of the 30 minute pacer.

I even got close to enjoying parts of it.

• Thanks guys, at least I'll be in good company if I do breaststroke in my first one - not saying that there will be a second one of course!  I'll carry on with the lessons though and hope to at least do some of it front crawl.

Wow Durhambiker, 14.2 miles is fantastic!  I did parkrun too in 32 minutes with no walk breaks, so really pleased with that.  The couch to 5k has worked!  Need to start looking for a triathlon training plan now I can run 5k without stopping.

• Cheers, got Manchester Marathon in 6 weeks so I need to be up to 20 miles before then. Looks like I'll be doing my 20 miler in Sunny Spain so that's something to look forward to at least!

Good work with Parkrun, just keep on doing that and some other runs, ride your bike and do some swimming. Try running after a few of the bike rides too to get used to how the legs feel.

• Well done DB nice run, hoping to get out with Horse tomorrow for a run.

Mrs L have a look at Don Fink "Be Iron Fit" book it has training plans from sprint distance to ironman and lots of other great info.
  • Another successful bike ride today, bit colder than I thought it would be, but only the top of my head and right foot got cold.
    23 miles in just under 2 hours, so not too bad, just need to ensure the recovery goes to plan. Out to visit relatives this afternoon, so doubt I can get a quick nap, especially as they have the most gorgeous doggy.

• wow DB, that's some fine running.  I don't have the stamina for anything over 10K just now...although saying that, the Houston 10K wasn't 10K, it was 10.5K which annoyed me as my time looks bad compared to previous runs!  It was hot to run...I'm definitely going to have to train for stamina and temperature.  Took the brat out for a bike ride today.  A nice relaxing workout for the legs.

I got the iron fit book cheap on the kindle.  It might be worth looking for it electronically.

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Well done on the 10k Pete!  I get really hot when I run so the colder it is outside the better.  I got the Iron Fit book for Christmas, along with a race belt and lock laces - do you think someone was trying to tell me something?!

Did a nice gentle 3 mile run yesterday which felt really comfortable and off for a swim now.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I don't think I've done a race yet where I haven't been beaten out of the water by a breaststroker.  I think the downside is that wetsuits can make it a bit restrictive but then a lot of people seem to manage just fine. I commit the crime of using a nose clip personally. I feel as Pirates it up to us to maintain a good tradition of not quite doing things the normal way image

Had an MRI on knee last week but don't get the results until March 15th. All seemed to go OK until a puzzled  voice asked if I'd had surgery on the knee already? No was the answer... I'm hoping it was just a tick box to mark the MRI as pre or post surgery and not that they saw scar tissue or something.

I'm still cycling and swimming but had a bit of a reset chat last night as I'm only managing one week on and then a week off. With 20 weeks until outlaw I need to stop that. So today was day 1 of a 2 week plan which I must complete 100% Swim is done and I know I need to train in the mornings otherwise life gets int he way, so early o'clock it is from now on. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Progress is progress Alibear.   I also use a nose clip, it has transformed me from a head up all the time, to a plodding hippo going through the motions of front crawl. At least today I did not feel the need for a sleep after swimming, so I am progressing slowly but surely.

• well done Ali and Steady

loads of people use nose clips. I tried once because of the reaction  I have to chlorine, but felt like I couldn't breathe at all with a nose clip

didn't have much time today but forced myself out for a run and managed 3 miles in 36 minutes, only stopping to cross roads. Very happy with that image

• Wet , windy and cold 5.5 miles run with Horse. It was pissing down when we set off but stopped 2 miles in then we turned into the wind, I don't know which was worse the rain or the wind image Hoping to get out again on Friday then a long run on Sunday

I use a nose clip when I am in the pool otherwise I'm bunged up for 2 days.

Ali, just keep plugging away, make sure you pull your wetsuit up as far as you can and pull it up over the shoulders so your arms are free to rotatewith being restrictive.

• Went out for 4 miles last night but called it a day at 2 and a bit suffering with pain on one side and a bad stitch. Got to the bottom of the hill to get back home and decided as punishment for being crap I had to run up it as fast as I could, knocking 45 seconds off my pb for the 0.6 mile climb. Hard work, I'm not built for running uphill at 8:40/mile pace
  • LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Hope the knee's ok Alibear, hopefully it was just a routine question.

Great running Mathschick and Razor, I think you get extra points for running in the wind! Durhambiker, I'm impressed at your hill sprint, the only way I could go that fast would be in a car!

I ran 3 miles yesterday with no walk breaks again.  Was feeling a bit sorry for myself today but dragged myself out on my bike for half an hour and felt so much better for it.  Swimming lesson again later, hopefully this will be the week that it all clicks into place.

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Well I feel like I've had a breakthrough with the swimming!  The swimming instructor let me have a break after each 2 lengths and we concentrated on getting my breathing and my arms right.  The breathing is a big thing for me because I still feel a bit panicky, but by the end I was feeling much better.

So this morning after my run I went swimming again and did 30 minutes of front crawl.  I didn't count how many lengths I did and I stopped at the end of each one, but it's the first time I've done all front crawl without panicking and doing breaststroke instead!  I think the need to stop after each length is all in my head, so hopefully over the next few weeks I can stop that and just get on with it. Happy happy!

• yay, well done Mrs L!!

• Good work appears to be occurring here image Hurrah Mrs L!!! 

I have generally been a sickly child and working endlessly. But this week I mainly started my Fink Ironman journey image

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Thanks! image

Wow, which Ironman are you doing MrsDigger?

• Well, today has been a mixed bag. I should have done a 15 mile run, but it seems my mojo got up before me and went out whilst I was still sleeping. So I decided a rest was better than a run. Back on it next week.

However, I have now attended my first swim session with the local tri club. I didn't know it was possible to get your heart rate up that high whilst swimming. The hour flew by, which with swimming is never the case for me, but it was TOUGH. Got some good pointers from the coaches on my technique and in return I put in some hard graft. I'll be going back and suffering on a weekly basis.

60 mile sportive tomorrow on the edges of the Lake District/Pennines.

• well done on the swim DB - have fun today

half marathon for me today. I have been a bit lazy about doing long runs so it will be a slow run/walk and enjoy the scenery kind of race image I think mine are always like that though image

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Good luck for your races Durhambiker and Mathschick!

• Oo.. Enjoy races this weekend lovelies. Maths I have the Forest of Dean HM next weekend, my thoughts are similar to yours image

MrsL, off to Mallorca in September image