Options

Should I reduce training down?

grodergroder ✭✭✭

Morning all

I am running the Bath Hal marathon on 13 March.

My training plan since the 4 January has been:

10 - 13 miles on Sundays

1 hours cross training on Mondays

4 - 5 mile run on Wednesdays

45 minute spin class on Thursdays

45 minute intervals on Fridays

The half is a week on Sunday, and basically I just wanted to know if/when I should reduce training down before then?

Comments

• Options
    Why didnt you follow a progressive plan ? I'm sure it would have been more effective than reinventing the wheel ?

I would just take an easier week the week before - unless you're full of fatigue.
  • Options
    grodergroder ✭✭✭

I'm sorry Cougie, I dont know what you mean by that??

• Options
    Which bit - the training plan or the fatigue ?
  • Options
    grodergroder ✭✭✭

The training???

• Options
    Just that there are plenty of half marathon training plans that would be more suited to a better time. 3 runs a week and a jump between the long run and the rest isn't optimal, but whatever floats your boat.

What pace have you been running the runs at ?
  • Options
    grodergroder ✭✭✭

Perhaps I should have explained better.. Before January, I couldnt manage more than about 5 miles so I feel I have progressed.

Pace is around 10.30 on my long run and around 9.50 on short ones

• Options
    And what time are you going for for the half ?
  • Options
    grodergroder ✭✭✭

Anything under 2.19 is fine, to be honest cougie, the times arent that important to me, completion is!

• Options
    So you've been doing your long runs at race pace ?

This is why you should follow a proper training plan.

If I wanted to learn how to strip my car engine - I'd buy a Haynes manual on it. It's just the same with running.

I'd definitely take it easier in the last week and maybe the week before as well. You're not meant to do the long runs at race pace.
  • Options
    grodergroder ✭✭✭

Yes thank you Cougie - I did not claim to be an expert as you obviously are!!

Maybe you should buy the the manual on how to speak to people politely and learn some manners

• Options
    Sorry- can you point out where I've been impolite ? I'd love to know.
  • Options
    grodergroder ✭✭✭

You drip sarcasm!!

Please leave me alone

• Options
    Okaaaaay.

So you ask a question.

I answer.

It's not what you want to hear so I'm rude ?

When you say leave you alone - do you mean don't bother answering my questions in future ? Cos this is the only contact we've ever had ? I'm not emailing you or hiding in the bushes at the end of your garden you know ?

I'm very happy not to help in future - but I can't promise I'll remember to specifically not answer you.
  • Options
    grodergroder ✭✭✭

Please do not help in future!

• Options
    I'm framing that ^

Good luck with the Half. Remember to take it easier til then.

(dammit - there I go again !)
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I was going to chime in with a suggestion but I don't think I'll dare.

Cougie has a wealth of experience so I'd listen to his advice. I have in the past and can't fault it.
  • Options
    grodergroder ✭✭✭

Go ahead Millsy

I have no doubt that Cougie has a wealth of advice, but he needs to lear to talk to people without making them feel stupid 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Really groder. If you want to avoid the 'human' element in any investigation, why ask the question on a forum?

🙂

• Options

Well, that escalated quickly.

How does one decide on a training plan. Say I wanted to choose one of the 18 week Hal Higdon plans and I think I could mange any of the week1 disciplines. How do you decide on one?

Or if I wanted to plan it another way, with 6 months of training time ahead, how do I pick a target time  to train for?

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    groder, if you take exception to Cougies good advice, then you are somewhat of a sensitive flower or reading sarcasm where none was intended.

Now, if it was RicF who'd made the comments!image
  • Options
    Mr Logic - Look at what the rest of the plan is like - some plans need you to run 6 days a week - some only 3. Don't commit to a plan you can't fit into your life.

Also most give an idea of finishing time. Much as i'd love a 2.30 marathon - it'd be foolish of me to just sign up for a plan like that and expect to take a huge chunk of time off.

Hope I haven't hurt your feelings ?

Hey that top really suits you; Great colour. Goes with your eyes.
  • Options

always a good one to help people who are easily hurt and offended:

Steve Hughes Offended

That's interesting though, seems to be something of a guide  that ability to run a number of miles per week relates to finish time(in a training plan at least). I might be able to target 3:30 on 3 days a week training from June. 

Hmm, that's 5 minutes per km. I won't hold myself to it yet image

also the lessthan sign ("

• Options

...^less than sign doesn't work in forum posts /

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yea, I tend to get a bit carried away sometimes.

And after the effects of the wine have worn off, I'm often lucky to be able to edit out the more abrasive elements of my posts.

Once someone was making jokes about what my middle initial (C) stood for. They were coming up with Cedric, Cuthbert and Cecil.

I killed that off by saying the 'C' stood for 'C**t!'. 

Sometimes it applies. I need to watch myself.

🙂

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    groder wrote (see)

Yes thank you Cougie - I did not claim to be an expert as you obviously are!!

Maybe you should buy the the manual on how to speak to people politely and learn some manners

Pity Cougie`s expertise is not matched by courtesy.

Perfectly reasonable questions  from someone with less than a year`s running experience - met with dismissiveness and sarcasm in equal measure.

• Options
    I fail to see where I went wrong here Mr Beetle.

I'm just pointing out that if you are keen on running a quick 10 minutes spent reading up on the basics of training would have saved him from cocking up his race and spoiling months of effort?

Can you disagree with that? Can you point out where I used rude words or called him names?

It's just plain common sense isn't it? He's smart enough to find a forum to ask for advice after all?

No bugger else had replied to the poor sod.