Options

Manchester Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

6k pyramid speed session last night with the club - hoping to fit in a 7m GA run at lunchtime and 7m MP tonight - tired - looking forward to a rest day tomorrow...

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I only managed 3.7 miles today in horrible wet and windy conditions. My legs are shot from Sunday (even though I gave myself two days off running - though that two days off included a spin class). My plan is 10 or 12 this weekend, half marathon the weekend after, another epic run following that and then I'll start tapering, I guess. I'm new to this lark. image

Good news about the bottles.

• Options

7 miles steady last night and 9 miles faster than MP today. Lovely running weather here in the north outskirts of Glasgow. 

• Options

A quiet week for me, in the run up to a half marathon on Sunday.  I'm looking forward to it (despite the forecast for it to be 3 degrees with a 12mph northerly).  It should be the day when I get a good indication of where I'm at.

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Turned this evenings 7MP into a tempo 5m - raining windy dark, enough already! Bring back the long summer evenings!!!

Rest day tomorrow - phew.

Go well folks, few weeks to the taper now - keep at it!

• Options

Would people race a half marathon this weekend.  I want to... but has anyone any previous experience that says a 13m race takes too much out of you at this stage?

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    NE-I don't have any experience in regards to marathon training but I would have thought that a few days to recover from a flat out HM should be fine and not compromise your ongoing training. You will probably run a PB which would give you so much confidence moving forward to the big one!
  • Options

I think so Tom.    I suspect that at least 9 out of 10 times it would work out just fine.  I can't believe it's risk-free (obviously it brings an increased chance of injury - and perhaps take more out of myself than "normal".)... I'm just trying to gauge what the size of that risk is.   With this comment, and comments on the P&D thread, I'm thinking the risk is acceptable...  but don't want to be complacent.  More contributions to the debate are welcome (I'm probably not the only one with a similar dilemma.

• Options
    orapidrun wrote (see)

question to those who've done this marathon before; are there bottles or cups of water at the drink stations?  

orapidrun....All details of the water bottles  (330ml bottles with sports caps), and gels and water stations is on the website  

http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/athlete-info/nutrition-route/

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Thanks NorthEnder - I did look but missed this page.

Re: racing a HM at this stage - go for it. Even if you miss a pb it's a big old tempo run for a marathon - perfect training. One thing about pb hunting in a HM whilst marathon training - have you been training for the greater speed/endurance used in a HM whilst marathon training? Don't beat yourself up if you miss the pb. (Apologies, I'm talking to myself re missing a pb at Wokingham a few weeks back) One thing it's done though is made my Marathon pace 'feel' much easier....boosting confidence in this way now that P&D moves into race simulation runs.

There's recovery rule/theory of a mile per day after a race therefore a flat out HM should be absolutely fine this far out. I've got a 15m race three weeks out from Manchester. Going to run it at 10/15s sub MP as a race strategy. Followed by a serious taper - followed to the letter - should be fully recovered for Manchester and also take the endurance boost with me. That's the plan anyway....image

• Options

Thanks orapidrun.  I am convinced!  The only thing I might do is cut out my normal mad sprint in the last 200m.   Well, I might.   So long as it wouldn't cost me a slightly faster time image

I've been roughly following P&D, so have been doing a good range of stuff - including speed endurance runs like 11 with 7 at HMP, and 18 with 14 at MP.  And my dream target MP is now faster than my PB half pace - so unless something goes awry, I can't miss a PB on Sunday.   It's more about gauging whether my dream marathon pace is realistic and helping me decide on what pace to set out on at Manchester.  I am so looking forward to using all this training in anger!

• Options

North ender- is that an Anglesey weather forecast?!! That's what I'm running this weekend!!

i would say go for it and race it, then take the early recovery, MLR runs at the slow end next week tweaking speed work and not doing it until Thursday . I'm planning on 6:10/15 effort Sunday which is threshold range. 

Good luck and happy running

• Options

Hi agentpenguin.  I don't think I could be much further from Anglesey whilst remaining in Wales...  I'm diagonally opposite at the Newport HM.  I can't wait.  The racing has seemed SO far off...  but all of a sudden, it's just around the corner and I'm starting to think about hydration and rest...   and Vaseline and safety pins etc  image

• Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Northender- for my 2 pence worth, I race a HM 4 weeks pre marathon (Surrey Half next weekend this time). Think it is a great time to work out what shape you are in to get a good bead on a realistic target pace for the Marathon. 

Been a big week for me so far 50 miles already in the bank and I rest on Mondays. Did my over marathon race time run today, 23miles in 3:02 I think with no fluids or gels at a really easy pace. Felt good throughout and hoping that I recover to get a little tempo effort out at Parkrun on Saturday.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Swizzle: I'll be racing Surrey as well as it was the closest HM I could find this close to Manchester which looked reasonably flat and PB friendly. Got my bib and buff in the post this week. Have you raced it before? Think it's only been going a few years.

NE: like you I'm gonna race this one - I not gonna go crazy but I'll put in a good shift and similarly my MP pace is faster than my HM PB. Actually my last 12mi MP run Strava was telling me I'd run close to a HM PB!
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic 23 miler J Swizz and very impressive volume for the week.

I am also bang on 50 miles for this week so far having done the big 12 miles with 7@ LT tempo session this morning. Was out at 4:25 (a new PB I think) and weather was ok which was a pleasant surprise. LT section came out at 5:50ish and did the whole 12 averaging 6:03 m/m. Fairly brutal session but strangely also quite enjoyable.

Going to rest up tomorrow before 20 mile race on Sunday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

NE, I'm intending to race Thames Meander next weekend unless weather conditions are poor (it was very muddy, windy and rainy last November and I got my slowest HM time of the Autumn despite it being flat).

I pushed myself quite hard at Hampton Court two weeks ago and recovered enough from that to do a tempo during the week and a 19 miler on Sunday. I'm still struggling to recover from the 19 miler though! (Just 4 miles today but I had to be back for a delivery so I couldn't run for much longer anyway).

And fantastic job, Swizzle.

• Options

NE I'm doing Silverstone next weekend. Fully intending to race it and maybe even PB!!!

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

I have an entry for Manchester which I won't be able to use due to injury.

If anybody is interested let me know.

• Options

Very short and wet lunchtime run done - more than I thought I'd do today though.

I did a 20 miler last Sunday and I'm sure that I'm not completely recovered from it yet - so I'm experimenting  this weekend by planning to do 10 miles on Saturday and again on Sunday.

Keep going everyone.

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

I abandoned this evening's 14 with 12 @ MP - rain/snow, tired, dark, cold - just couldn't face it. Am I doomed? P&D reckon if you stick with 90% of training all will be well, this is my first missed session...

Will do an Easy8m tomorrow lunchtime then a 7miler @ MP later in the day in its place....salvation maybe possible!

For now, feet up and an early night.

• Options

You're doomed orapidrun.  Unlucky, but it's your own fault image

I skipped my run tonight too. My calf has been a bit whingy for a week or so and got quite noticeable at teatime for no apparent reason.  Odd one really. Just feels a bit like miled cramp (down the lower inside calf) rather than a pull.  Now I'll probably rest tomorrow too ahead of the half on Sunday, when hopefully I'll feel OK to go for it.

• Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

AWC- no never raced it before but some good runners have done it in last couple of years. Looks a little lumpy but hopefully still pretty flat and last 2.5 miles look slightly down hill.

good luck for all the big training this weekend, go well

• Options
    I'm resting today and hopefully soft 19 miler tomorrow...
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Ran the Essex 20 mile road race today in 2:05:15. Started very steady for first 6 miles then picked up to MP for rest of race. Fastest 5k was the last one and felt strong at the finish (6:16 avg for the 20) so pleased with the way I paced and executed the race. Been enjoying a family feast for mother's day since.

Hope everyone else has run well today.

5 weeks to go!

• Options
    washwoodwashwood ✭✭✭

Tired... MK20 2.44.52 8.15 ave .... easy first half 2nd half around the 8.05 ave still had some in the tank as kept it reigned ..... Great confidence boost for the marathon.

• Options
    Well done Tom and Washwood. I did 17.5 miles today as knee still niggly, but better than last week. Not sure what's gonna come of it on the day...
  • Options

Just caught up on the all posts following a mad week at work. To much has happened to mention, but well done all.

I need to ask a question - last week i ran a half marathon and got a brilliant PB by over 3 minutes and i was very comfortable. I was delighted, over the moon. I was in a great place and confident for the marathon big time my plan (set for me) has been amazing, i have really enjoyed it and saw big improvements). I know in 7 days i cant have gone from hero to zero though.

This week i ran 5km on Tuesday to recover and 8km on Wednesday. I was then suppose to run 9km graduated run on Friday by increasing the pace every 3km. It was snowing, bloody cold and slush on the floor so very slippy, i had a bad week at work and just couldn't motivate myself to get out of the door, i fell asleep watching TV at 7.00pm.

Today i ran 28km I was suppose to walk every 20 minutes. I was great until half distance but then struggled, i was shattered, my legs gave up. BUT I did not drink anything and i know i was dehyrated having been running for 3 and 1/2 hours - yes slow but that was on purpose and i am only aiming for 4hrs 30-45 in the race anyway.

My concern is I have blown up, which i know should not have happened as I was brilliant last week or simply after the half last week are my legs still recovering, which is probably why i was only assigned 28km with walking. I guess my questions is a confidence thing really.

What are your thoughts please.

• Options

Hi JJ...  I suspect you know the answer really. You've had a bad week, but there are genuine reasons for most of the difficulties.  I suggest doing something different for a day (if you don't swim often, then swim) instead of a run... just to wipe the slate clean, then refocus.  Within a few days, you'll probably be fine because you're obviously on track.  Even if you take another week to get right back on song, I'm sure you won't have 'blown up'.

I just got a great PB in a half today. Took over 8 minutes off to reach 1:33:37.   It will be interesting to see how I pick up after today - for sure I worked very hard and can feel it in my legs now.

• Options

Yes, I think you were tired. Falling asleep is the give away. Well done, NE.