London marathon - how long off is too long?

Hi,

I'm training for the 2016 London Marathon, I've been running for a couple of years and have completed plenty of 1/2 marathons (PR 1.35) but nothing like this distance.

Training had been going well but I've suddenly develped either shin splints or a similar injury which has left me having trouble walking long distances let alone running. This is a new injury for me.

I'm obviously taking a break from training and I'm guessing it'll be at least a couple of weeks until I'm able to run again.

The question is how long can I take off at this stage before I should defer the place? I really, really want to run the marathon but I want to be realistic.

Thanks in advance any advice would be gratefully received!

Comments

• You can defer up to the night before the race, so take your time, get over the injury, and train sensibly. If you're prepared to accept a slower time than you originally planned you should be ok. 

• IslandIsland ✭✭✭

While you are resting from running, cross train to keep your fitness up. Swimming, cycling, skating etc.

• Thanks for the replies, I'm off to the docs tomorrow to try and see what the problem is.

What I'm really after is some advice on how long people have taken off a marathon training plan and then managed to catch up and complete the race. If I'm off for a couple of weeks I'm fairly relaxed but if I'm told to take 4 or more weeks off would I be able to up my distance from 13 to 26 miles in the remaining time without causing more problems?

• well you could save yourself some time by skipping the doctor and going to a physio (unless theres one at the surgery). while you're resting, do heel drops and core work.

i cant remember the exact details now, but in 2008 i had bad shin splints in late Feb/march, around the time of t he Liverpool half. I was hoping to run around 3:45 and   I revised my expectations and managed a comfortable 9mm pace until I got cramp on the emankment. 

i think it hurt for around two weeks, then got better very quickly, over three days or so. 

So, I completed the race, but the time off had an inmpact, if that helps.  

if you can find them, look throught the asics  sub 3:30 threads for the lparis marathon.  Superman had a longish lay off and was given detailed cross trainig schedules by Sam Murphy and went on to complete the marathon in style.

• Thanks, I'll take a look at the thread and yes I'm sure you're right about skipping the docs!

• @tripper, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you right now. Training for the VLM and have discomfort in the medial tibia on my right leg. Like you the furthest I have run is a half marathon and I'm concerned that missing too much training will impact my ability to successfully complete the marathon. have you been to see a physio yet?

• Hi Richard, yes I've seen a physio but although they poked and prodded and gave me some exercises they didn't give me a prognosis, I doubt I'll be running  this week.

However I posted on the VLM board and got this response which was useful

/////

Hello

I too am injured and wondering this exact same thing! I used to suffer from shin splints a long time ago but have thankfully gotten rid of them by running through and seeking the correct footwear.

However, I was ill the first few weeks of January and could not train. I then overdid it the first weekend I could train and have got a crippling knee injury. 

But, I was at the London marathon 'meet the experts' yesterday and there was a general atmosphere that we still have enough time. One of the speakers showed a plan (starting this week at only 8miles) and if you'e done lots of half marathons I'm sure you are doing this comfortably. 

Another of the speakers said not to become too dispondant about not being able to run - but instead, try to replocate your running plan into a cross training plan. I.e. if you planned to go for a long run, then go for a long cycle, or if you planned to do intervals then do this on the bike. Strangely, this wasn't something I'd thought of doing myself but will definitely be trying it! 

Hope this helps

• Thanks Tripper, that is certainly good to know. I've also just purchased a compression sleeve and will stretch out my legs and foam roll daily, until the discomfort is all but gone.

I think my focus for now is just to increase time on my feet and not worry too much about my pace. Part of my problem has always been overdoing it and trying to increase my distances at race pace.

I blame it on the endorphins! image

• Hi Richard, I have just completed Malta marathon after not running from Dec 12 until the end of Jan due to my Mother passing. I have run several marathons so mentally I know what to expect and managed to squeeze a 18.5 and 20 mile run in just a couple of weeks before the race. I actually felt ok during the race in tough windy conditions only missing out on a pb by just over 1 minute finishing in 3.45.

I also ran the Berlin marathon in 2014 with my one long run being just 16 miles due to a calf injury and didn't actually run for 2 weeks before the race to give my calf the best possible chance of recovery and although the last few miles were tough i finished no problem.