Peroneal Tendon pain

I have been having pain at the insertion point of the peroneal tendons in my foot for about 2 weeks. It started after a 2 day rest period when I was just walking round the house. I went for a couple of runs. First one the pain died down after 10 minutes but with my next run I had to walk home. The pain is just at the insertion point really and mainly comes on when weight is put onto the outside of my foot. So it hurts everytime I land during running or if I shift my weight to the outside of my feet. It also hurts if I go up on my toes. I sprained my ankle a couple of years ago and that foot/ankle has never felt as stable so I believe it is down to this. The only other thing I have noticed is that the muscles on my outer lower leg are a lot more tendon with a foam roller on that leg than on the good one. Both my GP and physio agree that I should be able to do some easy running on it but I tried a 10 min jog today and am now paying for it. I'm really not sure what to do, 9/10 things I have read said full immobilization to start off and not to run until I am completely pain free. I feel I'm aggravating it just walking on it so my gut feeling is to ignore my GP and Physio and wear a boot for a couple of weeks. My physio wants me to start strength work with bands but I also feel like this is making it worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not adverse to resting, I'd much rather this hold me back for a few week than a few months or longer.

Comments

• I agree with full rest until no pain when running, walking or moving. However don't let it stiffen up and become weak. Keep it mobile to limits of no pain. I suffered with a strain a while back but managed to work with it. Ice, self massage the point and rest.

I'd probably be keen to seek a more detailed check of the tendon. If it hurts walking sorry but there's some real damage under there that'll need attention

This injury would normally be over use, do you think this is the case? I actually bruised the tendon again in a work accident the other week but was ok within a week when I just didn't run and applied same principles really below

Look at your shoes? Are they worn? I'd actually recommend new shoes if need be and over the counter orthotics to stabilise that foot, it's taken me probably a year? But I went through something like this -

Going to stability shoes (brooks glycerin + then Ravenna) then down to more neatural (ghost) at the same time starting with regular orthotics then having ones plaster cast fitted through the NHS. To now wearing no orthotics and neutral shoes

I would start brisk walking and progress. I would average between 6-12 miles on a regular run and I think I would manage about 3 miles before pain kicked in. So adjust accordingly. Do not run with any pain

Keeping the area mobile and supple is key though, foam roll the area and loosen everything up from the knee down, it's all connected. Roll underneath the foot too. Write the ABC with the feet, get the calf muscle really worked too, stretch it and get it supple, massage if you can afford it is really worth it (do both foot on the exercises, it'll help prevent the other foot getting crocked)

Also try this - regular calf stretch against the wall, now bring the front foot back 6 inches...don't worry about the back leg now, roll the front knee over the toes in a wide exaggerated movement. Do clockwise / anti clockwise 10 X each. If your knee can touch the wall move the front foot back, the back leg doesn't matter what it does now. You should this really loosen things up be I found it super effective

Don't do anything than simulates the movement that hurts. Cycling might hurt. Do what you can if it doesn't hurt. Elliptical or cross trainer hurt because it mimicked the same movement. It's not weight bearing you might get lucky. Of course swimming if you can

If strength work hurts it's because you are straining the tendon and it's damaged m, torn whatever, so this can wait as you said till you are fixed. Then it'll be about preventive maintenance through strength work

If I'm honest I did little "strength" work to fix myself. I did have an immobilisation boot I wore sometimes over night

Rest is great but you can't not keep the foot mobile
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Thanks Scott.

I've been very careful with my mileage, averaging 20-25 mile a week lately so it's not the quantity that's the issue. I did have a very hard week a few weeks ago though so it may be more that I pushed myself too hard.

I already wear custom orthotics, had them for 5 years now. I wear them in my running and daily shoes. There is slightly less pain when I have them in as they force more weight onto the inside of my foot. I've worn the same type of footwear for years now since my orthotics were made to fit in them.

I think I'll do as you suggest. Full rest from anything causing it pain and lots of foam rolling, flexibility exercises etc, I'll stay away from the strentgh building ones for now and try and find another form of cardio that doesn't flare it up. I'll also see if I can get an MRI to check the extent of the damage.

Thank you very much for the advice
  • No problem!

Maybe worth getting the orthotics looked at if they are old! Your foot gait can change and also really you want to be as natural as possible.

Good shout on the MRI too!

Good luck! I have the thread followed if you update anything!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • So after a visit to a chiropractor today it's clear from various test that my left glute isn't firing up as much as the right one and I have an issue with my left him dropping.

Same plan going forward as mentioned above with a few added extras.

I'm in no rush though. I wanted to get this sorted before returning to training.