Sub 3h15

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    26th out of 568 today although the guy who came in one place before me on chip time (the same one I dragged round) cut 200m off the course by cutting through the car park at the end ("by accident"). So I'm recording that as 25th place.....
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - That's very impressive! Is 3:16 in the saddle easier for you compared to the same on your feet? I find cycling harder than running. I'm keen to give triathlon a go next year.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Well cardio wise, if I know it's goin to take 3:15 hrs, I'll make sure I'm empty as I cross the line - so no real difference there.

Recover is soooooo much quicker though
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    It is great fun GM. Just a lot more expensive and time consuming than running!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - excellent parkrun. Sorry to hear you had a bad day on Sunday, but well done toughing it out.
    Lorenzo - fantastic 10ks from you and younger Lorenzito! I agree it's probably not a good move to do 21 @ MP. Cracking 22.5 miler too.
    GD - solid 20 miler.
    Birch - pleasant 13 miler.
    OO - another stonking 10k - this time from junior OO.
    Bike It - excellent performance at Vaal. Looking very promising.
    Jools - good long run on tired legs.
    SJ - great cycling again and excellent placing!
    VTr - I did grab a gel in desperation when I was flagging towards the end of my last marathon, but that's the only one I've ever had. Just thought it would be worth trying so wanted to test them out a few times. Normally I don't fuel before or during runs at all. Nice mileage BTW!
    11 steady miles with 12x100m strides this morning (avg. pace 7:54).

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

BI - that's a great result, looking good for Comrades image

Speedy running from the Lorenzo and OO juniors image

And some excellent LSRs from others by the looks of it.  Mine was a 21, averaged 8.25 pace, feeling pretty strong so pleased with the effort.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good to see all the LSR's being done over the weekend.

I'm glad to see you taking these LSRs slow GM - good for the aerobic development.  My Comrades PB is 8:48.  The main target is to go sub-9 for the first time in 4 years - of course a PB would be nice if the opportunity arrises.

Clearly Lorenzo's 7:45 pace means your aerobic capacity is developing well. image

Good racing SJ - I agree you got 25th place too.

Thanks for the positive comments about my marathon.  It has been a long time since I could run a good marathon and I'm very happy I could finally get closer to a better performance.  Thanks for keeping the faith in me even when I doubted myself.

Final chip time was 3:15:57 and 83rd of 1809.

I'm thinking now of making an attempt at a fast marathon come October or November.

• Nice time there BI and all looking good and solid.

I had a weekend of pacing. Black Park parkrun yesterday in 22 (official time 21:59 ) and today Milton Keynes Festival of Running Half Marathon with Xempo in 1:40 (official 1:39:50). 50.12 miles for the week but hat needed a 0.57 mile warm up before the half yesterday.

The parkrun at 22 feels stupidly easy at 7:03 pace (3:05 full marathon) but then again a 3:05 full sounds fast at the moment.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - definitely 25th in my book.

BI - really well controlled marathon there. Sounds like you had it in the bag all the way with no wobbles. Suggests your Comrades training is building an excellent endurance engine. A raced mara in the autumn could potentially provide a very impressive time.

Nice pacing duties performed there, PMJ. How did you find the course? Room for all the 1:40 wannabes to stick with you?

Freemers, GM, VTR, Jools, Lorenzo and probably others I've missed all going 20+. Good work guys & girls!

Birch, Gul, OO all getting the miles in too. Apologies to anyone I missed.

After a highly unpleasant and sweaty Friday night, most of my aches and lethargy had gone by Saturday morning. Very odd, but my body clearly decided to sweat out whatever the problem was, so took another rest day to be on the safe side, but felt well enough to crack on with the decorating, so must have been improved! Although not 100% by yesterday morning, I didn't want to miss my final longer run before next weekend's race, so got in an easy 10 miler in the frost on Sunday. 5 easy at lunch today, and feeling OK. Not sure I'd be able to turn up the speed yet, but feeling much more optimistic about things.

Having got elder MsA over her chicken pox and back to school last week, younger MsA is now covered in spots and causing the same childcare headaches her big sister did! Would have been so much easier if they'd been ill at the same time... ho hum. So another week of juggling is under way. Fun! image

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey- great racing shame about the cheats !

Bike it great mara looking good for comrades.

Freemers - nice 21

PMJ- looking good for sub 3

Abbers kids are always sick image ,my daughter broke her thump then got the cast of last week and back up in out of hours doc yesterday for 2 hours with vomiting etc

swimming lesson this afternoon then 5 mile jog straight after, having missed the last 2 swim lessons I'm back to square one image Its not so easy as it looks !

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Bad luck Gerard we all get a poor one from time to time- cold conditions would not help. Mine was also slow above 9 min avg. pace. But I did have an undulating 8 miles along Derwentwater followed by a steep mile climb up Honister Pass. 19.3 total for a 61 mile week. 

Of course Juniors time was for 5k- apologies 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ – Here in Jersey a lot of “seasoned” runners who have done marathons and ultras seem to be having lots of fun doing the triathlons and IM events. I guess it’s the same everywhere, but very noticeable given the demographic here and the proximity of the water, road and trails etc. Your point re expense and “faff” factor is very valid but equally is the recovery. I do love the purity of running though and that appeals to me most but I’m thinking of doing a short distance one next year, maybe a duathlon and take it from there. It’s my favourite sport to watch hands down and the Jersey summer one is amazing.

Gul – Thank you! Nice 11 and strides to boot.

Vtr – I love that hay in the barn analogy. 73 is a big weekly total. Now go and reap your need for speed!

Freemers – Sounding & looking good!

Bike it – 3:15, even better. Your Comrades pb time is very good and I hope things go well for you on the big day. It’s so cool that you have reaped the rewards for your patience in recovery from some bad injuries/life changes over the last few years; I admire your dedication and for having the oomph to do so. I also like the idea of you attempting a fast marathon in October/November over there!

PMJ – I like pacing and have done so, quite a few times. Nice work! I concur re the stupidly easy pace for 5k, truth be known, I am targeting sub 18:40 for a 5k race that I have lined up next week, we'll see if that happens and let's say it does; if I add say 3 mins to that for each 5k of a marathon that equates to a 3:02/3 marathon. Like you, to me that sounds fast. I will not be attempting a target like that for Manchester without the reassurance of recent longer distance race times i.e. 10k or a half and I have raced neither for some time. How did your 1:40 half feel?? I'm sure once you pin that number on you'll be ready come race day.

Abbers – Sorry to hear about the 2nd bout of illness for the kids but you should be ok for next week as you have done all the work up until now. I recall you were nailing some tasty tempo runs not so long ago?? Might be a confidence booster to have look back on your training log but you sounded like you were in pretty good shape to me endurance and speed wise.?

Leslie – Keep going at it!

OO – I have only ever ran once in England and that was London 2013, but given you mention names on your Long run they must mean something. I noted you did 6 miles above your weekly target. Well done.

Rest day for me today and I could have easily run as I felt no stiffness or fatigue whatsoever but I'm sure the day off will have done me some good. Just a thought/shout out to missing threadsters. I Hope they are all doing ok.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Where is your 5K Gerard- good luck with 18:40, that's pretty nippy.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Freemers - great 21 miler.
    Bike It - 83rd of 1809 is impressive.
    PMJ - excellent job pacing at the weekend.
    Abbers - pleased to hear you've sweated it out - shame about younger MsA though.
    OO - tough but enjoyable 19 miler by the sound of it. Top early posting!
    In work late today (dentist first) so made use of time for my long run. Was still a bit pushed for time and accidentally over cooked the pace by an alarming amount - hopefully no damage done. So 4 miles w/u @ 7:54 and 16 miles @ 7:19 (MP?). Also took gel at 8 miles and no adverse effects. Better get off to the dentist's!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice work on those LRs, all looking good for race season.

Beastly cycling by SJ - the legs must be made of iron

Enjoy the dentist Gul

7m for me last night round the sights of Middlesborough - emulating Lorenzo by running in all the UK's most glamorous places

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - It's here along the promenade on the south coast. It's pancake flat but can be very windy. Aiming to beat 18:46 which I ran more than 3 years ago now. I'm looking forward to it as I haven't raced that course in about 2 years.

Gul - What a run!

Poacher - How's the body?

• Hi Guys, had a quick read back and good to see the training's going well. Nice bit of weekend pacing PMJ. Storming run Gul with a great stretch of MP miles. Good luck with your promenade 5k GM.

I've had a bit of a blip in my training and been a bit down about it all thinking my last ever marathon was off before the start. I had what I thought was a Hernia the other week and it turned out (luckily?) to me more of an Inguinal ligament strain. I could only run about a mile then had to stop and turn back as it was painful just to lift my legs to run. After a few days off I ventured out again and the pain went from unbearable to bearable - just. I had a full sports massage and have been doing a sporadic few weeks of slower running with a day off inbetween and building it back up gently.

I had a DNS at the Coventry half the other week which was disappointing. I didn't feel 100% and didn't want to push it too much. It felt weird as I've never not started a race I had entered. It seems to have eased off now and am back to normal running and don't think I have lost too much fitness. Managed a 70 mile week last week, with an 18 miler with 14 miles @ 6.49 av pace, so hopefully back on course.

Sorry for the me me post, will have a good read back later image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Abbers - nice 10 + 5 after the lurgy
    sound 21, Freemers
    belting 11 + 20, Gul - how are the legs ?  
    Gerard - sometimes it's a good discipline to take a rest day when scheduled - usually it's the reverse, of course, getting out when we CNBA. 

fingers x'd you are back on track, kr . . . .

decided to test my knee a bit today, so in my steady 10 miles, I inserted 5 efforts - all uphill to minimise the stress on the joint, safely completed (probably 2 or 2.5 miles total). No adverse reaction - still the low level discomfort, but an improvement nevertheless.  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

KR - Welcome back. I did wonder what had happened to you. Glad you're ok. 14 @ 6:49 in an 18 is a mighty run.

Birch - That's good news!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    That's very good news Birch

KR - 14 at 6:49 in training would have me gunning for a confident sub 3. Especially after being ill. Keep at it and it will come together.

"The sights of Middlesbrough"

Cracking run Gul! Looking sharp!

Nice route OO

Swimming is a hugely frustrating sport Leslie - but sometimes, sometimes it comes together and takes you to a new level. Haven't had one of those days for a while but live in hope. Although I have now mastered tumble turning in the pool - #properathlete
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Wicked skills, Gul. Wow!

Great stuff from KR. That's a very swift 14 mile section! Sort of makes my efforts today somewhat feeble.

Now in mini-taper, so easy sessions this week before the HM on Sunday.
    I actually joined the local running club last week as using the track for London and Berlin campaigns makes it more cost effective. The coach said I should do some HMP this week. So, at lunchtime I did 6.5 miles, 4 of which were run at HMP (6.45) with 2 min recoveries (his recommended session). All very straightforward up and down the same stretch of road. Splits were 6.35, 6.45, 6.35, 6.36.

Will do spinning tonight, a steady 5 tomorrow and then rest until Sunday to repair the hammy that's been trouble for 2 months.

GD

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

KR- if that's not back on track I don't know what is! 

Gul - excellent run, really good block on MP miles

Birch  - glad the knee is holding up

GD - what's your HM PB nowadays?  Are you aiming to beat it on Sunday?  It sounds like you have put in some solid work so should be on I would think?

Tempo run today - 7 miles @ 7.15 average. 

I too have a HM on Sunday - the Broadland Half.  Despite it being in Norfolk it is surprisingly undulating but a nice event.  I am not tapering and it won't be a full out effort, but aiming for an extended tempo run to test speed endurance really.  The long range forecast is looking quite kind (10 degrees, dry, 7mph winds), but that could all change! 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Freemers: I did 1.28 last year at the Surrey Half last year and it's still my PB and only sub-90.

My current plan is to try to maintain 6.45s on Sunday and kick on if I feel strong at half way. I really feel the pressure is off this year as I hit both long term running goals last year of sub-90 HM and London GFA for the full (3.13 at Brighton).

Just training for a PB in each campaign now and seeing where it takes me but without the pressure of the previous goals.

Good luck with yours on Sunday. You sound relaxed about it?

GD

• Abbers wrote (see)

Nice pacing duties performed there, PMJ. How did you find the course? Room for all the 1:40 wannabes to stick with you?

The course was definitely different to the time I did it. The start is a bit messy with a cut through a housing estate very early on and up and over a front lawn and down a twitten but after that you get onto the main lap of the lake which is fine. The 1:40 flag was a pain in the underpasses but that is a matter for pacers and not runners. The real killer is the last part up through the park with a very steep couple of hundred metres. At the pace we were running it was hard and we had it fairly easy all the way round but I must have passed maybe 40 or 50 runners in a few hundred metres and they all finished behind, so there were a large number well inside 1:40 at 12 miles who finished outside at the end.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very nice pacing Gul- not often I'm up before you!

Good news with the knee Birch let's hope it holds.

Off to Barca for a couple of days so running will have to wait.

Looks like a few of us racing this coming weekend...

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Poacher - pleased to report no more fillings required at the moment.
    GM - could be bracing too on the prom
    KR - sorry to hear of your woes, but you certainly do sound to be back on track. That's a stonking MLR!
    Birch - good news on the knee. My legs are a bit tired. I was planning to do 11/6@LT tomorrow, but will probably just make it an easy run instead now.
    GD - excellent tempo run.
    Freemers - enjoy the Broadland HM - is it still the same route? (I did it in 2010).
    OO - have a good time in Barca.
    5 recovery miles d&d this morning. Average pace for yesterday's LSR was 7:26.x m/m, so couldn't resist multiplying it by 26.21875. Result = 3:14:59 image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Gul - yes I think so re the Broadland half.  I've done it twice - in 2006 (I think) and 2013, and it's a sort of out and back (or at least part of the way back is the same as the way out). I think they might have changed the start/finish a bit.  Excellent marathon prediction there based on your long run image

Four miles easy this morning.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Bath Half for me on Sunday.  It's obviously the weekend for pre-marathon halfs!

Club session last night: 2 x 1 mins, 2 x 2 mins, 2 x 6 mins, 2 x 2 mins, 2 x 1 mins.  Averaged 6.07m/m, which is still short of 10k pace, but thankfully my breathing was fairly ok, just the legs were a bit tight and tired.  Hopefully I'll be able to do my 14 miler tonight and 13 miler tomorrow, then have a mini-taper of rest Friday and 5M easy Saturday.

• Poacher - has Middlesborough got some nice routes along the river?

Good reps there Jools - seems pretty rapid to me as I always struggle to get a decent pace when I'm doing reps.

Tidy calculation Gul - bodes well.

Up early this morning and when I looked out of the window it was tipping it down so decided to swap the planned 14 miles on the road for the pleasure of 14.6 miles off road. Suffice to say it was exceptionally wet and muddy (and great fun as a result) although I wasn't expecting the thigh high "puddle" I had to wade through on one of the short stretches of road. 

Rest day tomorrow as I've got the joys of a journey half way round the M25 first thing - suspect it might be quicker to run.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great work Joolska.

Grotty conditions tonight with wind, cold and rain. Dropped my youngest at football training and went for a 5 miler while I was there. Tried alternate miles with 3 at MP (7.15) and 2 at HMP (6.45). Bad traffic and weather cost me a second or two but it was a good session with a 7.04 average.

Hammy hurt all the way but manageable, so it's rest until Sunday now to see if it can repair before the Surrey HM..

Enjoy the M25 Lorenzo.

GD