Final Instructions Mag

Does anyone know when these magazines are being sent out ?

Comments

• I did look it up - its about a month before they start sending them - so I think round about now - and we should have them with two weeks to go.
  • That was a bit quick in replying cougie - next time at least give someone a chance to say that we all got them 3 weeks ago. image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Any time now I think. I'm not usually that interested but this year I got the email about changing my number and (possibly) start so interested to see where I'll be.
  • Sorry CD !

Yeah Millsy I got that one too.
  • I thought that they would be out now, don't they have the last four weeks of the training schedule in them, ie tapering etc.? Perhaps I've missed it in the first one!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I don't get sent the first one. So when the second one says things like 'we hope you've been doing the core exercises in the first magazine otherwise your whole marathon is DOOMED' (I'm paraphrasing) it's a bit annoying.

• MINE IS HEEEERE !

I'm on green start,
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Interesting Cougie. Are you usually Red FGFA?
  • I was last year - but usually Green I think. I'm not that F !
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Mines just arrived. I'm on the red start again. No need to change my routine.
  • Just got in from shopping,so lucky,and magazines are stuck in letterbox so its all systems go, good luck ???? everyone!!!
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Same course as last year. I don't mind it actually, less fannying around at Canary Wharf.

This didn't come across very clearly from flicking through the magazine, but would it still be OK for me to raise money for charity?  image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

PP - if it's not 100% clear on that, check your email in box as well.  They really want us to get the message image

I didn't like the course changes, especially the 180 degree turn between miles 19 and 20, so not pleased to see that again!

• Hi All, firstly I know I'm panicking, but having never run London before I thought I'd done the right thing booking a hotel next to the Excel centre as I can't get down until Saturday afternoon. I've just opened my magazine to find out which start I'm on, great, Green, Ok. Went to the Tfl website to see how I'd get there on public transport, to find it only goes up to the week before, but that Sunday it says it'll take 1hr 30 mins with a 30 minute walk at the end!!!!!!  Roadworks or whatever!

I expect this will be fully resolved by the week after, but does anyone know how much time I should give myself to get to the start? I don't like to stand about for too long, I get progressively more nervous the longer I wait.

Any advice welcome. Tim.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

train timetable is in the magimage

• Thanks Gladrags, but, the info in the mag don't mean a thing if you've no idea where Excel is, or anywhere else in London, so following the mag's advice I went to Tfl's website, to find...a half hour walk to the start. Also I can't find Maze Hill on Tfl's tube map, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but it's not even in the index?

• Ok, panic over, I've finally sussed it out. But really VLM, why put Maze Hill on there if you mean Greenwich!!!  I'm flippin' northern, you gotta spell it out for my kind.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Maze Hill is the station after Greenwich on the mainline out of London....

But If you're coming from excel then you can just walk to a DLR stop (Custom house and Silvertown are nearby - your hotel can advise which is best) and then just get the DLR to Greenwich DLR - it's an easy walk from there.

You won't find published timetables for the DLR - but services are pretty regular and start at 7am on marathon  morning.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Gladrags wrote (see)

Maze Hill is the station after Greenwich on the mainline out of London....

...or stay on for another couple of stops, get off at Woolwich and cut 3 miles off the course.  image

The three starts aren't that far apart from each other anyway, so just follow the crowds then look out for the massive balloon of the appropriate colour. Get in toilet queue, bite finger nails, etc.

• What Gladrags said - use the DLR from ExCel. But get off at Cutty Sark, not Greenwich, it's closer.
  • Just reading my mag about the different starts. I have a Godd For Age place and Green Start. The mag also mentions a Fast Good For Age category with a different set of numbers and start area. I was just wandering what that was? Are those places also known as 'Championship Places'? Just wandering as I haven't heard the term before.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

There's a difference between GFA, fast GFA and championship places. The championship places being the fastest qualifiers. I don't know much more than that, cos I'm a mere GFA image

I've not run London since 2014...has the route changed? I've not had my magazine yet. If so, a change for the bette/worse? 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Championship places are for people who've entered the UKA club championships, which are held within the London Marathon. The key advantage of this is cash prizes and gold-plated toilets.

It's a shit change, Shazmo, involving a long boring bit with no support and a slight uphill that felt worse for me last year as I was struggling a bit!

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Oh, bummer. Where abouts is it, Lit? I remember a long uphill bit on what I think they call 'The Highway' - it's a bit where you can see slower runners on the other side of the road (who are going slightly downhill). 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Somewhere around mile 19, I think. I remember it being really grim.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Shazmo wrote (see)

Oh, bummer. Where abouts is it, Lit? I remember a long uphill bit on what I think they call 'The Highway' - it's a bit where you can see slower runners on the other side of the road (who are going slightly downhill). 

I seem to remember The Highway being pretty flat. Maybe there's a weird Escher type illusion going on where it feels more uphill after 22 miles than it does after 13?  image

The course change is the same as last year to deal with construction work at Canary Wharf.  Just after 18 miles, instead of heading into the Canary Wharf estate by turning right at Heron Quays into Bank Street, you go straight on and up a small ramp to the top roundabout at Westferry, then turn right to get to Canary Wharf.  Then instead of doing a loop round Cabot Square/Canada Square, you just go straight through and out the other side past Billingsgate Market.  This means you've got a little distance to make up, so they then have you doubling back along Aspen Way before rejoining the old route just before the 20 mile point around Poplar.

As Lit says, support is less enthusiastic because the crowds around Canary Wharf are effectively replaced with crowdless roads around Aspen Way.  Then again, I'm not a big fan of all the twisty turns around Canary Wharf, so maybe it's swings and, er, roundabouts.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Is the Aspen Way bit the bit where you do a 180 degree turn and you can see the bit you have to turn UP being UPHILL as you approach it, and you're really tired and then you get overtaken by someone you know and that pisses you off?

(I wasn't having a very good race last year. image)

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That "hill" was a bit of a shock last year. I was going through a bit of a bad patch between 17-20 miles though.