The Middle Ground

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Particularly good, Dan! The come back is looking good!

Have been having trouble with my shins, mainly after running downhill hard. Have had this before so was fairly certain what it is, but went to see a friend who happens to be the former RW doctor (and GB team doctor): he confirmed my self-diagnosis of compartment syndrome. Have managed it before and will have to do so again! Looks like some of my "faster" work will have to be shelved. Will rely on steady running to build strength...and hopefully lose more weight: not shifting at present.

WP: I'm sure you will be fine by Cardiff, and you will lose no fitness in the interim.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed, WP. I recall you missed Cardiff in October due to last minute illness.

Myox, I think that comes down to conditioning, gradient and whether you have a weakness elsewhere that means quads were dominating. A few years ago I would be sore until about the Wednesday or Thursday. Now I'm usually heavy legged on the Monday with odd sore spots but generally ok by Tuesday.

Nice to have that level of advice available, Alehouse. Hope it clears soon.

I've taken it pretty easy this week so far. Sunday was a bigger run than I credited it with in advance. Should be doing 10 at mp tonight though with a few miles either side to make it into something close to long. That'll be my last big session before Cardiff then.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Afternoon all - hope you have all been having a better week than me!

Started feeling ill on Monday afternoon at work, which progressed by Monday evening into the worst food poisoning/stomach bug (not sure which) that I have ever experienced. Only just made it back into the land of the living today, although I still feel totally drained, so I expect that running will continue to take a back seat until next week. On the plus side, I have probably lost a few pounds, so that has to be helpful right ..... image So my planned 5 mile race on Sunday will now not be taking place - luckily I hadn't paid any entry for it yet.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Bad luck WP and Andrew! image

Hope the 10+ miler went well DT.

First run of the week for me today ... 7.2 with 5 at mid-tempo. Over-run with work and couldn't switch off, so only had 2 hours sleep ... and then went for the run straight off the bike commute. I felt pretty rubbish and couldn't match my 7/m target pace ... however on checking back, the 7:09/m at 82% maxHR was the best tempo to date, so the perceived toughness was more psychological than physical. 54 on the bike and 48x25m front crawl as well this week ... 13.1 @7:35/m planned for Sunday.

• Andrew_ That is abad week hope you feel better and good news on no entry fee.

DT: Yes I missed Cardiff through illness in October.

I have walked 6 miles every day and knee is getting better so going to aim for run on Sundayimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Not good Andrew, hope you are on the mend now? I've still got a flu bug which I picked up from work a week ago. Convinced at that as I sit between two colleagues between Weds and Friday who were coughing their guts out and have had it for between 3 and 5 weeks. It has particularly got to my chest which has made it almost impossible to run in a key training period leading up to London! To cap it all off, Public Health will be undertaking tests in my office on Monday following cases of pneumonia as the office flooded a few months ago which probably hasn't helped either! I reckon flu and shingles stopped me getting 3:10 / 3:11 at Manchester last year and whatever form I'm in now I think it will probably cost up to five minutes again. At least it's helped me lose weight as that's half a stone in three weeks now but obviously not the best way to go about it! Worse case is I run London to just enjoy it but there is still some time and may just reduce the taper. I was meant to be running at Eastleigh tomorrow but might just jog round if I do. 

Good session there Dr Dan and always encouraging when you do better than you think. 

Family are from Dinas Powys WP so get the best of both worlds five 5 miles outside Cardiff but in a nice quiet semi-rural area. That's the reason why I end up doing a fair number of races back in Wales as I visit fairly frequently. Are you all set for Cardiff? The weather forecast although some way off yet couldn't look much worse at the moment. 

Hope the shin problems ease Alehouse. 

Looking at the Gloucester 20 results my friend finished fairly close behind you DT although think you'd be more likely to have overtaken him late on. I hope the weather doesn't scupper any big PB opportunity at Cardiff next week and that it isn't as bad as it looks by then. I can imagine the area around the barrage in particular causing havoc to people's PB chances. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty hardcore, Dr Dan! Not sure id have got out for any run, let alone that intensity.

Hope your all feeling better now, WP, Wjh and Andrew. No harm in some illness induced weight loss if you'd been trying anyway.

Early weather forecasts are indeed shit for Saturday, Wjh. Early days yet though.

10 @ mp friday night was 14 in total with wu and cd. I really struggled in first 10 minutes. My legs felt heavy and tired and I was nursing the after effects of beer and curry the night before. Target was 6.52. Came out at 6.54 though watch says average moving pace was 6 50. I did seem to lose signs in parts and at one point in the closing stages I was sprinting to try and shake my gps from 7.30 pace. The main plus was my hr at 158. I've never gone that far ar Mara pace, whatever that pace might be, with a sub 160 hr. This was recognised by my watch as it upgraded my vo2 grade to 60 which is its highest level. Over Autumn I was at 57 and pretty happy with that.

Quiet couple of days since Friday and intend continuing that over this week.
  • You go away for a few days and everyone's I'll or injured. Take it east everyone until you're recovered.

Little Miss CB did her last South Manchester junior parkrun this morning before Northwich juniors starts next week. I got 9 easy miles in the sunshine this afternoon. Easy pace is back to what it was before Trafford.

• WJH: Aha I understand it sounds a nice area.I hope you enjoyed the 10k and weather does indeed look poor but things have not improved for meimageI have walked all week and done physio exercises but I tried a run yesterday after 3 strides I knew the pain was too bad to run on came back and then went out for 2 mile walk.

I will go pick up number Thursday just in case a miracle happens but looks unlikely I think Cardiff and me are not friends and shall give races there a wide berth in future and the race was not cheap either!

DT: Good luck keep safe and well for saturday

CB:That sounds good for Miss CB and yourselfimage

Andrew and WJH: I hope you both re feeling better?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Very nice MP session DT. Looking good.

Good luck with the miracle WP.

I had a really bad run on Sunday ... scheduled for 13.1 @ 7:35 but I could only hold the pace for 4 miles before the legs said no more!. Jogged the rest but even so, the last few miles were a real grind. Strange ... probably not recovered. Saturday is a very rare parkrun opportunity, so I think I'' re-jig the week so I can give it a blast.... probably do tempo Tues, 10 mile MP/ LR Thursday, and parkrun to replace the 4x1200 session.

• Sorry WP image. It was going so well. Hopefully you'll recover soon and the training you've done can be built on, but it's scant consolation now.

You've been doing a lot of fast miles recently Dr Dan, let yourself recover, especially on a low carb diet, slow miles are key.

I managed 6 gentle miles yesterday, and 3 then a core workout this morning.

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain, Dr Dan. I tried a run on Sunday but only managed 2 miles at about 7:30 pace, then I had to stop. First time that's happened.

I feel pretty tired from the HM still, and I guess drinks on Saturday night didn't help either. I'm on a pretty much vegan diet at the moment, so I'm considering starting to take some plant-based protein supplements - anyone got any experience of this?

Sorry about your troubles, WP - must be really annoying.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Hang in there MYOX... recovery is around the corner.

Nice 6, 3 & core Cubby.

I bounced back with 8. 2 with 6 @ 6:59/m and 87% max HR.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Evening all, hope you are well and those with injury and illness issues are recovering well.

Well tonight I got out for the first run since illness. Only 4 miles at 9m/m pace. Felt OK aerobically but my legs felt a bit shredded afterwards! Hoping the next run will be a little easier!

• Morning

MYOX: I am vegetarian and I did last year start to take a protien supplement but to be honest it was pretty disgusting so i added it to my scrambled eggs(but as vegan I doubt you eat eggs) and just increased my protien in foods pulses nuts etc.

CB:Thanks I have as the week gone on become less mad about it all especially as been in lots of pain with mouth,I been living off painkillers so went to dentist which gave me Antibiotics and my molar has died so my choice is take tooth out a back tooth or root canal I hate dentist's image

Nice mileage I hope it continues to be like that for youimage

On the plus side I have walked a lot of miles yesterday 8.5 miles.

Dan,Andrew and DT: I hope it is all going great guns for you boysimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hmmm 5 more miles this evening. Kept it at an easy pace, and came in at 9 m/m fairly comfortably but my legs just feel like lead again afterwards. Not sure what is up with them. Contemplating paying for a sports massage at some point to try and loosen things up ....

• DT: Have you been to collect your race number yet I went today but I am out I had to run from one platform to another for train and the stabbing pain was bad and I was limping and it is all inflammed.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, not much to report here. This week has become a pretty decent taper week for no particular reason, possibly a bit too much so with the marathon only 4 weeks away. Though I think it'll do me good as I've not had a full down week since Christmas.

Unfortunately the weather looks set to ruin anything decent tomorrow. Its a shame as I'm rested, weight is right down and other stats such as resting hr are in my favour.

WP, I had a friend collect mine for me yesterday as I can't get there until midday tomorrow.

Hope your leg eases up....its an expensive one to have to pull out of!

Good luck to anyone else racing.
  • DT: I know I am gutted it is a lot of money to loseimage

It is a glorious day today shame it is not for tomorrow I really hope it all goes well for you even with the weather .I shall look forward to hearing all about it.

Good luck to all other racers for this weekendimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow DT. Indeed shame about the weather forecast but hopefully it won't prevent another strong run for you. 

That's a shame with the leg WP and missing out on tomorrow. Hope it clears up quickly.

I'm also running Cardiff tomorrow but have been focusing on picking up the miles again rather than taper after being ill. Also meant I missed out on Eastleigh last weekend. Tomorrow was initially a target race but no taper combined with the weather forecast will see me look for a strong rather than all out effort. Hoping it will give some idea on what's doable at London! 

• WJH_ Good luck tomorrow I shall be watching from my armchair and willing you boys onimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Bad news, WP. Weather forecast has wind at its worst at 2pm with 40mph gusts and heavy rain.

My mate has a better sense of direction than me and seems to think miles 0-3 into it, 4-5 cross wind, 6-11 tail, then 12-13 into it. The fact is though you'll always lose me than you'll gain in that scenario.
  • No point in worrying about it DT, it is what it is. Just find someone bigger to run behind!

(apologies for butting in after a multi-year absence from the thread...)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Enjoy Cardiff DT/WJH. Don't worry about the wind! Sit in a pack and you should get plenty of shelter! After all there are plenty running! Make the most of watching, WP!

WP: when one re-starts running after injuries such as yours I am a great believer in gentle 15 to 20 minute runs. Don't rush things. Do the exercises. After 3 or 4 weeks make one run 30 minutes. And don't rush things! Build slowly. Anything more and everything can collapse like a house of cards! Worked for me after Achilles op, although I started with "walk to the post box (90 metres)". Too far as it happened and had to sit on a wall!  

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

WP - really sorry to hear that you are having to sit this one out again image Maybe next year would be third time lucky?! As advised, take it easy as you hit the comeback trail.

DT and WJH - good luck tomorrow. I'm looking forward to watching the coverage on BBC (although conditions don't sound conducive to a quick elite race, always good to watch Mo though). Doesn't start on tv until 1.30, is the mass race a late start too?

Went out for lunch with friends today and then enjoyed a lovely walk in the sunshine with wife and little one, who seemed to enjoy her first visit to a park! Then went out early evening for 4 miles including 2 at MP in the middle. Felt surprisingly good given how bad my legs felt on Wednesday and I had to rein it in to stop myself going at tempo rather than MP.

Was planning something similar tomorrow (this week is a bit of a 'take each day as it comes and see what run I fancy on any given day' after last week's illness, then back into the training plan next week) but think I might test myself with a parkrun instead. I'll start at 5k pace and can always drop it down to a tempo run if it isn't going well. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Duck,wjh....hopefully I'll bump into you both tomorrow.

I'm hoping it's still possible to post a solid time despite the weather.

Good luck with parkrun tomorrow if that's what you do, Andrew.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    And yes, mass race starts at 2pm.
  • Alehouse- Thank you I will start back slow when I can run again it makes me wonder what is the problem with my hip flexor or if it is something else any way will try to see physio in the week and see if GP will give me referral.I need to solve why this happens so I can enjoy an injury free rest of yearimage

Great advice for sheltering behind someone in the pack good luck DT,WJH and Duck? sometimes you have to alter the plan and keep altering in a race as long as you have a solid run  that is a result okay not the one you trained for or hope for but at least you are at the start lineimage

Andrew: Good luck with parkrun today hope the weather is kind to youimage yes it starts at 2.05pm

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Bit of parkrun tourism today as I tried out another of the local ones. Looking at last week's results this morning I noticed two things. Firstly, it is a course where you run three laps, which I am never a big fan of, and secondly my recent time of 22mins would have put me 4th last week (which tells me it is probably a tough course, as that sort of time should never get you 4th in a parkrun, even a smaller one!).

This suspicion of a tough course, combined with the expected effects of the past two weeks, left me not too hopeful of a good time. My warm up lap confirmed this, revealing a long uphill drag of at least a third of a mile in each lap. The start was up this drag, so immediately it was a choice between losing time or overdoing the effort too early to keep to pace. I opted for lost time.

Anyway, 3 laps later and I struggle up the uphill muddy finish straight and across the line in 23:21. Over a minute slower than a few weeks ago. 8th place though. Not too sure what to make of it, but I left with the impression that it wasn't too bad an effort, all things considered.

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Already been into the Expo to pick up number and now back at parents waiting to go back in. The wind has picked up significantly in the 90 minutes I was out and the sky is slowly looking more menacing. It's going to be fun! image