Two marathons in five weeks

Am in for the London marathon and thought I would have a go at another, whilst I still retained the benefit of the training and before focusing on other sports in the summer. So, I have Edinburgh at the end of May.  Hoping to nip under 3:30 for both, having missed this at Brighton last year by 20 odd seconds!. Any clues on what you think my recovery from London, build up and then tapering might look like? Provisionally have Tewkesbury half at the 3 week stage as a leg stretcher.

Interesting articles in this months RW, but didn't cover this!

Grateful for your advice.  Thanks

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Not sure how many marathons you have under your belt as I think it gets easier the more you do. Last year I ran London as my A race. Had a very easy week built up for 2 weeks (18 miles longest run) and then another 2 week taper. I was 5 mins slower in the second marathon.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    I did London last year, took it really easy as I wanted a GFA time at Halstead, few weeks later. Blew up at 17 after Halsteads big hill and DNF'd, marathons can catch you out, may take longer to recover than you think.

So a good recovery period after London, but, if you're young and recover quickly, shouldn't be that much of a problem.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I did this a few years ago 5 weeks apart within a minute or 2...my time was 3:33 ish and my pace was 8mm ish

Week 1

Sunday london

thursday 7 miles club run, 5x 1.5 mile easy

Saturday 2 miles at 7:30 than mp

Week 2

Monday 7 miles with club, tempo

Weds 8 miles 7:34

Friday local 5k race 20:48 a pb.

In these first two weeks i was looking to hone my speed and not get injured ready for the 5k. The pb was a complete surprise.

Week 3

Weds 10 miles 7:27

Sunday half mara race 1:37

Week4

Weds 7 miles easy

Thursday club night 6 miles includin 2 @ 6:50

Sat 5 miles @ 8:21

Sun 13 miles @ 8:46

Week 5

8 miles @ 8:14

Raceday 3:32

So you really don't need much running at all in between if you've trained well in the lead up to the first one. interestingly (?) i threw up for the first time ever after the second race, and have done after every mara since
  • Thanks guys. Very helpful.  I'll try to avoid going slower in the second, and avoid the throwing up afterwards as well! But the tips for the running in between look to be very sound and give me hope!

Cheers!