Sub 3h15

Comments

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Worrying about weight, deciding on pacing strategies, the taper must be starting. I'm already on the beetroot juice!

Now I'm the lightest I've been for a long long time, about 25 years in fact at a tad under 68kg.

Big week of running for me with 67 miles and 120 on the bike with a decent 79 miles in 4 hours on Saturday and a 25 mile long and very slow run on Sunday.

Thinking about my pacing strategies for London, if the weather is kind perhaps 6.40's.

Hi to all the new folk, there's some inspirational people on here so stick around, I don't post a great deal since falling out of love with this bloody marathoning but always lurk to keep my mojo up!
  • OO - for some reason I expected you to be lighter than that given there times you achieve, maybe you are fairly tall?

I am 5ft 9 and I have dropped down to around 10st 8lbs at the moment, but i too am a bit worried about putting weight on over the next 2 weeks of tapering, going to have to hold back on the big portions note I won't be running them off!!

• The saying 'you can't outrun a bad diet' was perfectly true when I last trained for a marathon a couple of years ago. Some shocking pictures image

This time has been much better, except for maybe a day at the weekend. Dropped to just under 12 stone which for me is light. 

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

OO, you are not alone. This campaign for me has been slow to develop both fitness wise as well as dropping the usual weight. I started eating healthier a few weeks ago and lost about 3-4 lbs. But it feels like much more (even though the scale doesn't show it). I think maybe my legs have actually put on muscle this time around? Weird. But I always worry about weight gain during taper. Got your back on that one.

Negative splits and the marathon. I've run 5 marathons with 4 negative splits and 1 DNF. The negative splits have gotten shorter each time (last one being under a minute I think and the 1st being closer to 4 minutes). I probably need to push a little more in the first half. But I like being a little more cautious up front because the race really does start (at least for me) at mile 20. Is nice to "have it" at that point (I tried the other extreme and literally blacked out with the finish in viewimage although that was on for a negative split too!).

Managed a nice subLT Friday, and easy 6.5 Sat., and 17 yesterday. The 17 ended up being a slog. Lack of sleep caught up to me big time. On the road now and will try a short subLT tomorrow in Baltimore (and hopefully won't get mugged!).

Hang everyone as the madness is upon a number of us.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Freemers - perfectly excuted race at Wymondham. Acclimatisation to the heat is one advantage of dreadmills that I hadn't considered before!
    LB70 - welcome back. Nice target for London.
    Birch - any thoughts on plans for later in the year yet?
    GD - good sign that the taper is doing its work.
    NM3 - still a good final week before your taper.
    Outro - hope the rest has sorted out those niggles.
    PB - shame about that foot - hope you can still manage to get round and enjoy the experience.
    OO - I've lost about half a stone in the last couple of weeks, so not too worried about weight at the moment!
    Lorenzo - hope you can fight off the lurgy.
    moof - sounds like all is going well.
    VTr - Just under 2 weeks to go? I presume Baltimore has a bad reputation.
    Negative splits, what are they?!! Seriously crashed and burned in my first two marathons, so I decided to target a much more conservative pace in my third only to end up with an even bigger positive split that the second one!
    Aimed to be home before 7am this morning, so a seriously early start for my long run. 22 miles d&d. 7 @ 8:44, 7 @ 8:20 and 8 @ 7:24. Legs are trashed.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Don't have working scales. Last week's tummy troubles have got me pretty close to race shape. Mr Jools won't be happy!
  • LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    GD - have you thought about targeting a range of paces? I'm looking at keeping in the 7.00 - 7.15 range, which would give me a time in the 3.03 - 3.09.57 range. So providing I'm in this range I won't stress too much. I'm a 41-49 GFA runner and I suspect they may change the time required to 3.10, so want to try to get below this time!

NM3 - still a fantastic time at Edinburgh and I've had much worse than an 8min positive split!

OO - although my nutrition hasn't been great since Easter (too much beer and chocolate), I'm fairly close to my usual marathon weight of approx 11 stone 2 - I usually put a couple of pounds on during the taper, but then lose them again in the last couple of days before the race!

Gul - great early morning run, but what time did you set your alarm for?

9M for me this morning including 2x15mins at HMP (average pace for both sections was 6.23) with a 3min jog recovery between them
  • Gul and others who manage very early starts, I wonder if this will acclimatise you to big morning efforts.  I do most of my work in the evening, I wonder if my body will object to working hard before at least afternoon... 

Treadmills, I trained mostly on treadmill in January as the small Yorks Dales lanes around my house were often tricky with ice, snow or heavy flooding.  I found one benefit of treadmill is they are a very cushioned surface vs asphalt.  Helps recovery for next big effort.

Weight, I read somewhere that 1lb equates to 1min so worked on getting weight down from 11st4 at Xmas to about 10st4 now.  I was accustomed to a bottle of beer most nights each week but cut out alcohol completely from New Years Day.  Can't wait for a beer on 24th April.  I am 5ft7 and medium build so ideal race weight is probably 10st.  I won't try to lose more at this stage but I will bring back in core and light upper body weights work through taper to keep metabolism up.   

A question, to enter GFA pen do we need to wear club vest or can I wear my charity vest?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

You can dress as Chewbacca, Hannibal Lecter or an amoeba so long as you have the race number to show at the entrance to the pen.

Birch - you explained the neg split problem so much better than me - the key being the problem of judging the first 1/2 in order to finish in a fast overall time. Anyone can neg split if they dawdle by even a couple too many minutes over the 1st 1/2.

Who else is running Manchester this Sunday?  It will be my first LR of 2016 imageimage

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I wonder what the world record is for "fastest amoeba"....

I'm 8lb heavier than this time last year but feeling stronger (particularly on the bike). Not sure what the right balance is but I expect to drop a bit when the training ramps up.

Those are some tasty stats there Moof! I've just ordered a new wheel set for my tri bike to make up for my lardiness.

Loving the taper talk image
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Welcome to the new posters here.

Very well deserved Poacher after having spent so much time running indoors recently.

Assuming the Manchester course is the same as 2013, then the starting placement is important for anyone going for a time.  There was no time coral system when I ran it so place yourself well to the front.  There are a few sharp turns early on which slows the field before the runners get spread out.  More importantly, my Uncle Dennis worked for many years at the Ford dealer that overlooks the start.

I've run at least 4 negative splits, 2 even splits and the rest have been positive splits.  IMHO it doesn't really matter as long as the times of both halfs are reasonable matched, by say around 3 minutes maximum.  Anymore than that and you left too much on the road in the first half with a negative split or overdid things and spent too much on the first half with a positive split.

I do the wedding ring test for weight - if it is a bit loose then I'm alright - if it is tight then I'm not alright.  Still I was 96kg when I got married and around 81-82kg now.  I should have got into rowing when at uni, but I didn't like the early starts.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Interesting comments on weight. Seems like I'm the heaviest here? image

I'm 6ft 1in and was 13st 2lbs this morning. I've lost a stone since Christmas and I'm a few pounds lighter than last year when I got my 3.13 PB. I'm hoping that my HM PB form from last month and, hopefully, dipping under 13st on race day will see me alright. I have tried to focus more on weight loss this year but the club coach says keep eating in order to lose weight!

I know he's right but it seems counter intuitive. I've cut the crap from the diet (mostly) and tried to eat lots of protein to repair well after tough sessions.

Gym session tonight for some core work but no running. Feel I need to but can't, plan says rest.

GD

• I'm 13st 8 lb and 6ft! I'm the heaviestimage. My diet is bad, but I was 15-10 at my heaviest before starting running 3 years ago! 

Lb70 GFA 3-10 where you heard that?

gul d 22 miles before 7am! What time did you start?

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey-great results for you and Jnr in the cycling image

Poacher- enjoy your first very long run at Manchester 

Gul- great pre breakfast 22 

No neg splits here when you run a 1:37 half and finish in 3:49 you know things didn't go as planned image

Weight down to 73kg (11 stone 7) from 85kg at Xmas now so all trending well,race weight is about 68kg so some way to go yet.

14 miles today when I got up after nightshift and a bit of a struggle really ! Longest run of the year and annoyingly the mara I liked that closed entries last week has now reopened briefly again ,I must resist image

• LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Hi PB10, I haven't heard anything, I'm just trying to second guess VMLM as they apparently had a lot of GFA entries this year
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Slokey- I'm still paying for my wheels. The cost of this triathlon lark is never ending. Trying to find the perfect swim goggles seems to be a never ending quest.

And I'm currently researching tri short and top combo or just sticking with my cheap but comfortable trisuit for the big day.

What's your thoughts on this and preferred brand?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Tri advice please: Never done one but have legs to run, a bike to ride and a wetsuit to swim in. The wetsuit is a full length surf suit. Is that good enough for me to use in a tri? I'm not bothered about being competitive, just fancy giving it a go.

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Ooh, kit!

I use a 2xu compression tri suit - uber comfy

I like the look of the new Dave Scott Huub ones but will stick with the 2xu this yearimage

Agree re expense - I've probably spent over 15k in the last 3 years and that doesn't include race entries and travel. Don't tell the wife!

(You can of course do it on the cheap but where's the fun in that?)
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    GD - welcome to the dark side - get a tri wetsuit

Your arms will thank you for it!

Which event are you looking at?
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I started with an Orca S4 as a good entry level tri wetsuit. Don't think they are available anymore. You can pick a decent suit up for 100ish but important that it is sized correctly - you don't want water gushing in to the suit - will make you cold and slow you down. Equally you want something that is comfortable, has decent mobility around the shoulders and that you can get off quickly. My race suit is a 19 Rogue, amazing piece of kit and flexible enough to feel like you aren't wearing a suit.

I'd recommend trying on a couple to feel the difference between them and vs your surf suit.

The targeted buoyancy in a tri suit will make swimming much easier than in a surf suit too
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good heavens that provoked a range of answers. I was thinking how light everyone was, so thanks Paul Bird for making me feel better. Clearly weight is an important factor for many and goes hand in hand with good form.

6:40 moof!That's quick, you must be feeling confident.

Lorenzo I also had a sweaty night and woke up with a headache and sore throat. I still ran but feeling awful now. The only plus point, it may force me to taper and should be clear come race day. It was all going too well...
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Evening folks! You can tell it’s getting close to marathon day when illness and weight is being discussed as a matter of high importance. I feel like a right numpty at the mo, I was coming down the stairs tonight with a basket of laundry and missed one stair and crashed into the corner of a wall. My left knee hit it sweet spot! It was total agony and there is a lump the size of a ping pong ball in the middle of the knee now! Also I think I may have a slight issue in the groin area after my hilly 10k the other night. Hasn’t felt right at all since then and feel it in the morning when I get up and when I turn around. FFS! What next?! Oh and I had a sports massage, that was horrible but hoping it will work like magic on my pesky calf muscles come Sunday.

Freemers – I bumped into Iwan Thomas briefly at London 13 which was my first marathon and he was giving a talk at the XPO. He seemed like a sound chap. I wonder if he is running it again this year

CSMLFC – Hope you get the sub 3:15!

OO – Ha-ha, don’t get me started on the weight. I was 81.5kg at Xmas and dropped down to 77 about 3 weeks ago but it’s slowly creeping back up. I was hoping to be about 75 for Manchester but that ain’t gonna happen now unless I hibernate for the next 4 days. I’m 5’9 so 12st or thereabouts is very heavy for a guy my size I guess.

Lorenzo – Sorry to hear your crook but better now than in a few weeks’ time. Try take it easy as you’ve done all the required training up to now to have a very good run at London.

Moof – Hello! You sound in fine fettle.

VTr – I think you are one of the few who has recorded a 100% rate of negative splits in marathons completed. All three of mine have been awful positive splits. What’s the strategy for Boston?

Gul – That’s a serious 22! Recover well.

Jools – Lol!

LB70 – Nice target there.

NM3 – You’re looking good for a great run again. Will you be aiming for 2:59 or quicker? Will you use a pacer or just run your own race?? Well done on the abstinence from the booze. That takes dedication, not something I've ever managed. I did 6 weeks off in 2013 and raced a few local races and ran so poorly I decided it was time to get back on it again.image

Poacher – I’m doing Manc too and I believe KR is as well. I don’t have a number as Jersey is classed as an International location so I will have to collect it on Saturday. Will be useful to see how the land lies though and I haven’t been there since 95.

G-Dawg – Yeah I would love to go for a run too but it will have to wait ‘til the w/end.

Leslie – Impressive weight loss. Haha, which one is that then?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

LB70 - great HMP session yesterday. I don't set an alarm - don't think my wife would be too pleased to be woken at that time!
    NM3 - I guess ideally we would all run mid-morning but it's not practical for most people!
    Poacher - good LR plan. By the time your 6th marathon of the year comes round, you'll have done 5 x 26.2 (at least!)
    Bike It - you seem okay with early starts now!
    GD - I'm nearly 6'3" and was 11st3lbs before breakfast yesterday - 11/7 afterwards!
    PB - 3:42.
    Leslie - MLRs now - nice going.
    Moof/GD/SJ - ???
    OO - dose yourself up.
    GM - ouch! take care of yourself till Sunday!
    6 mile recovery run d&d.
    Hope KR is okay for Sunday.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I'm paying too much attention to the weight thing. As Gul says, extra pounds pile on immediately after a meal so I shouldn't keep standing on the scales so often. As long as I keep an eye on food intake I should be around 13st on the day. I'll defo be lighter than my last marathon.

I'm more concerned about the possibility of heat. A cruel feature of the London marathon is its time of year. The whole campaign has been in cooler winter temps and then the race could be in the first heatwave of the year! And by heatwave I mean only a few degrees above my optimum running temp of 12DegC.

I've been thinking of doing some of my taper runs in more layers to promote more heat and acclimatisation in the 2 weeks before. It takes 10 days for the body to acclimatise to heat conditions. Has anyone else tried or thought about this approach?

GD

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

GD - I am familiar with these heat acclimatisation strategies.  I've done the first 3 and the last:

- if you commute by car, turn the heating up to maximum all the time

- run in a jacket, long trousers and hat, even though it is shorts and T-shirt weather

- run in the hottest part of the day

- use the sauna 3x per week

- hot yoga/long soaks in a very hot bath

- move to a hot country

You would also need to up your salts (sodium, potassium, magnesium) intake.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

YES!! Does that mean I should eat more crisps!? I love crisps...Crisps...CRISPS!!!image

Top tips, I'll give some a go, although the final one is a stretch.

GD

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - you could always copy Don Thompson (1960 Olympic 50k walk gold medallist) who trained in a steam filled bathroom at 38C in a thick tracksuit. A word of caution though. Don't use a paraffin heater without proper ventilation - apparently the dizziness he attributed to the heat/humidity was probably the start of carbon monoxide poisoning!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good 14 after nights, Leslie - I remember the struggle of those !! 

Gerard - stairs & laundry basket a deadly combo ! Hope no lasting damage  . . . .

Gul - great work with the 22 - you must be feeling confident?   and, as you asked - no plans yet for the remainder of the year (other than I would like to be properly ready for the XC season to try to defend my county VoGit title) image image. An Autumn mara would inevitably adversely impact on the first couple of races in the series.  (I know I said no more mara's, but my mate keeps planting the seed in my mind of an Autumn jaunt for a mini-break inc a 26.2 ) !   and, of course, need to keep mindful of effects of 30 + years of leg-bashing !

which brings me to today - 5 miles inc 3 x 1 mile in park - 1st one horrible, felt dizzy, had those "floater" images in my vision, and almost abandoned, but did the remaining couple at "relaxed tempo" pace, and the 2 x 400m hills included in the mile back home.   So, at least it's in the diary now.  which shows 504 for the year to date.   

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

I weigh myself very rarely but after all the talk I thought I should.  Pleasantly surprised to see 55.1kgs show up - I was almost 60 around Christmas time.  I'm 5'7'' so am definitely slender but wouldn't say skinny, although my husband reckons I need to put some weight on! 

It's my last day at work today - shall I remind you again I have almost 4 weeks off before my new job starts....not to make you jealous or anything image

We're off on holiday tomorrow, and I will be offline for 10 days or so.  So can I put in an early "good luck and don't be sh*t" to those doing Manchester and other races in the next week or so....looking forward to reading the reports when I get back online image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your break Freemers!!!

Good thrashing of yourself there Birch

Crisps! Yes.

How are you feeling now OO?