Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

GD: I tend to 'train warm' in the last couple of weeks, but for me that would just mean wearing leggings and a long sleeved top if I might have worn capris and a t-shirt, or capris and a t-shirt if it was really shorts and vest weather, etc.  Idea is I'm used to being a little warmer than normal.  Started with this morning's recovery run, which was leggings and long-sleeved top.  

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Well I've been absent for the last couple of months, but all this taper talk has lured me back - as have all the new posters.

So, good luck to the Manchester Marathoners this weekend, may your tapers be refreshing and your carbo loading fulfilling.

I hope that OO and Lorenzo's night sweats are a passing phase.

I'm with Birch in the 'no Spring marathon, but tempted by an Autumn one' - and am pleased to report that my hip is completely mended after 17 months. The proof was in last weeks no pain 40 mile week. I haven't done one of those for ages.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very good news Fishy, great to have you back.

I have never thought of wearing extra clothing- I must say it seems a bit bizarre. I just tend to whip my vest off in hot weather.

No running here, still feeling very bad

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image  I was very surprised to see OO finish a race with his vest still on recently.  He is from the Toon - less is more. image

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Good news Fishy

OO- feeling pretty confident as I've had a really decent block of uninterrupted training which I have to put down to mixing it up on the bike and swim. The only problem may be the lack of big weekly running miles but I've averaged well over 50 most weeks and the last 5 weeks long runs have been 20+ with no dramas. But we all know what a cruel mistress the marathon can be, so pb pace and see what happens.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I knew you'd say that Minni image

Your mileage is similar to mine moof, I hope it's enough.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - well done finishing that session yesterday. I was feeling reasonably confident until I was out in the garden last weekend and remembered how lethargic I get in the heat. Might need to try some of these acclimatisation techniques!
    Freemers - have a great holiday/extended break.
    Jools - do you 'train warm' every other day in the taper?
    Fishy - welcome back and good to hear your news.
    moof/OO - I'm sure the cumulative effect of multiple marathon campaigns must count for something  and your legs should be fresher from the slightly lower mileage.
    A late night for me as Miss GD the younger set off at 1am for a school trip to Italy, but I did manage to get out for another 6 slow/easy miles this morning.

• Options

Lb70 I hope they don't 3-15 was hard enough!! 

Good of luck for those doing Manchester, April showers is the forecastimage. Last year was perfect, no wind dry and cool!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Some good acclimatisation tips, thanks Team. Aircon was off in the car this morning, I'm wearing heavy tops right now, drinking a hot cup of tea and I'll layer-up on remaining runs.

Nice weekly average, moof. I've just checked my spreadsheet and it tells me I've averaged 37 miles per week thus far with 7 weeks of over 40 miles.
    This is more than last year for my Brighton PB (3.13) campaign. Weekly average for Brighton was only 31 miles, so hopefully I'm in better shape.
    I guess you 50 milers are all sub-3 contenders?

So, taper dictated that the weekly Wednesday 10 miler I've been doing since the start of October was shortened to just 8 miles last night. Tried to run it all at MP (7.15) but the average turned out to be 7.09 pace. Really had to hold back at times, wanted to blast off. Having my mate there really helped keep me off the gas and run more disciplined.

Signs are good but can I keep that pace for 26 of the blighters?

GD

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Great news Fishy! image

Surely that's closer to being an early morning than a late night for you Gul

Hope you recover soon OO - how's Lorenzo getting on?

Hard swim set this morning and 2 consecutive run days this week so far (wahey!)
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    The answer is clearly "yes" GD. Looking good. Stay disciplined and believe etc etc
  • Options

Just chipping into say that after experiencing hot London Marathons in the past (after doing all training in freezing cold) I've been running in extra clothing for a few weeks of 'warm weather training'. Typically, though, as it's Manchester I'm doing and not London it was a complete waste of time and it's looking like being about 5-6C at start time on Sunday (albeit sunny (maybe))!  Still it'll be nice to run in just vest and shorts again rather than all the clobber I've been wearing.  I haven't gone as far as turning the heat up in the car etc though!

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

As someone who can suffer as the temperature rises, am very intrigued about the idea of warm training by adding layers - its certainly something I hadn't heard of before. How much difference do people think it makes?

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Interesting discussion on warm weather acclimatisation! Was thinking about giving the extra layering a go, but have decided that I already stress about enough things during marathon training without adding to the list!

GD - sounds like you're flying and should be on for a good run in London

Gul - I don't know how you get up at those times without an alarm. I would end up having a terrible night's sleep stressing about over-sleeping! I often run early, but draw the line at setting the alarm any earlier than 5am (I can justify getting up at a time that begins with a 5, but a 4 is out of the question - even 4.59!)

I did 12M steady yesterday morning and could only manage an average pace of 7.47, though it was a bit windy. I was then very stiff for the rest of the day and this morning's easy 6 miler was very slow and painful - the plan says 10M tomorrow with 8 at MP, so not sure how I'll manage that!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Fishy - Welcome back and great news to hear you are back to it.

OO -  +1 for removal of unnecessary layers when it's warm!image Hope you feel better soon.

Wally -  I'm also doing Manchester. Hopefully the weather is ok and not too windy. Vest and shorts is the best!

G-Dawg - Nice run and as SJ said. You'll be grand!

Moof/OO - What I would be give to be able to run 50mpw. I think it's plenty especially you have both got some good speed.

Managed to get out for an unplanned 5k today in the sun. Legs felt carp but good to get moving again. After been told by the Manchester organises that I would have to collect my number because I live in Jersey my number arrived in the post today. Just as well as I fly tomorrow and that would have been a pain. No 734 if anyone should want to track my progress on the day. Only thing left to decide now is what to wear! image

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Moof, that is a solid block of training. You must have an incredible aerobic base to rely on once you get past 19 or so miles.

Wahey indeed SJ. Keep building...are you racing this Spring?

Nice to be holding back at 7:09 GD, and I like your improvised climate chamber.

Have a good flight GM. Not sure if you've done Manchester before. I ran it in 2014 and it's a great course. A true rival to London. Looking forward to tracking your progress on the day.

Hope you're feeling better today OO.

9.2 beautiful sunny miles over the hills to the Lune and back this evening.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Thanks Fishy. Nope, 1st time, only ever done London and Jersey before. I've heard it's a good course. It's a lovely time of the year to be able to run hey!? image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hi Fishy, I had Manchester pencilled in but have taken too long to shake my injury (September to January) so have been slowly building. Plus I am currently too lardy and would be depressingly slow.

Best thing for heat training is running in the heat or on a treadmill - I found being lighter helps hugely too - you don't want any extra insulation
  • Options

I'm usually overdressed for training runs, I can't actually remember the last one that didn't involve a jacket, hat and gloves.

15 miles yesterday that took more convincing than it should have to leave the house. I don't think the few days break did my motivation any good. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I'm getting excited for GM and others racing soon. Can't wait to hear the stories.

I hear ya SJ, lose weight!image
    It's been a feature this campaign and you're right, I think it's making a difference.

Really enjoyed the track tonight. Coach placed me with the lead group for the session.
    4 x 1 mile at 5.55 pace with 2 min recs. Managed splits of 5.50, 5.54, 5.57 and 6.00.
    So yeah, they were slowing down but I'll take that for this stage of the campaign.

Final speed session done, it's all about ticking over now, reducing volume and nailing MP so much that it feels like a slow run.

That said, the coach said he reckons I can do 3.03 to 3.07 in London and that he can get me to sub-3 for Berlin. That scares the bejesus out of me but we'll see.

I wonder if work will mind if I wear a black bin liner and cover myself in a duvet at my desk tomorrow? #MarathonAcclimatisation

GD

• Options

Great reps there GD - I'm anticipating 3:05 +/- and I don't think I'd get anywhere 5:5* for one mile, let alone 3 on the trot.

Gul - you're just bonkers. I presume that you went out running at 1am this morning, but just forgot to post until later.

OO - hope you're starting to feel a bit better.

I'm still not 100% but managed to do 4 miles worth of commuting yesterday and a short fartlek session this morning. My legs feel OK, but that fact that I was a bit short of breath during the strides and still felt sluggish and lethargic today makes me think that I should give it another day's rest and try again on Saturday. I won't be posting very impressive mileage stats this week. image

• Options

OO - Hope the dreaded lurgy retreats quickly and you can get back to full fitness
    Moof - sounds like you should be in fine fettle to get the PB
    G-Dawg - great times, if that is holding back then looks good for the day
    LB70 - sounds like I was feeling last week, but an easy week this week has helped me get some energy back in the legs, hope things improve
    Lorenzo - hope you feel better soon, a few lazy days in order maybe

Good luck to all running Manchester this weekend !!

I have been running in multiple layers for the last couple of months as i don't like to be cold when I run, so hopefully will be able to run in just shorts and tshirt at Brighton, looking at the long term forecasts I don't think there is too much danger of a heat wave though

Have only done one 6 miler this week as I was feeling a bit burnt out and that has been good for the legs, feeling much more springy now, so park run on Saturday for a bit of speed training and then 8-10miles with the club on sunday morning ready for another easy week next week.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gerard- it was walled city mara (local one on my doorstep.)

Fishy -great news on the hipimage

Freemers - nice to get a break image

G-dawg- 4 x sub 6 min mile you are flyin ! 

Lorenzo- rest up 

5 mile slow recovery yesterday and seem to have knackered my quad during it so only swimming practice and a short walk today image

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good luck , Gerard - fwiw, I liked the course & in the time-honoured phrase - "don't be sh1t" !  

15 for me this morn with my daughter.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Birch! Nice 15 with your daughter.
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

GM, are you racing this weekend already?! If so, good luck! I hope you have a great outing. BTW, haven't figured out how I'm getting to the start line but I have a 3 hr drive to get to Boston from my house so will do down a few day early and stay with my in laws (they live 20 miles north of Boston). Pacing I'm not quite sure. I think I want to maximize the downhill early (not too much but just enough) so perhaps this will be positive split event. The second half (I think miles 15-21) has some decent climbing.

Fishy, welcome back. Really glad to hear you are doing so well

GD, you are a beast! I'm jealous you have a coach. I have hit a plateau and think I need to change things up. I never do any speed work so that would be a start. Get back in touch training for shorter distances (to get my VO2 up?).

All this talk of layering gave me a nasty flashback. I used to wrestle and spent more uncomfortable time in scalding hot baths, saunas, but especially wearing a "sauna suit" as we called it (was a nylon long sleeved top and bottoms that were lined on the inside with rubber). I seriously despise hot conditions and that would likely explain part of this.

Less than 2 weeks to go now and runs are getting shorter. 5 yr old daughter has had a very high fever going on 4 days now and wife is hacking. Why does this always invade the house during taper??!! I hope OO and Lorenzo recover quickly.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well, I guess marathon season started last weekend with Paris, but I think this weekend sees our first racers at Manchester.  DBS!

11M with 4 x 1M last night.  First was a little sluggish (6.14) but then 5.56, 6.03, 6.03, which is not bad going with no company.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PB - that sounds more like Manchester weather this year!
    GD - looking good!
    Wally - welcome to the thread. Warm weather training is de rigueur this year!
    ssc - no idea how effective it is, but worth a try.
    LB70 - I guess it's just getting into a routine so it becomes automatic. If I oversleep then I just assume by body is telling me to rest! Hope the MP run goes OK.
    GM - not long to go now. Have a good flight and smash it on Sunday!
    Fishy - the Lune?! I presume you don't mean that round white thing up in the sky.
    SJ - according to Noakes, if I remember correctly, the Australians had specially made ice-lined vests for the Atlanta Olympics. Seems strange, I would have thought they would be acclimatised to the heat!
    Outro - well done on getting out for your 15 miler.
    GD - cracking track session - you are flying!
    Lorenzo - I did get some sleep before my run which was at 5:44. Just late posting as you guessed. Hope another day's rest does the trick for you.
    JT - enjoy parkrun!
    Leslie - oh no! hope the quad is just a niggle.
    Birch - nice mid week 15 miler.
    VTr - sounds like you need an isolation suit now!
    Jools - nice solo intervals.
    7 easy miles - body is slowly catching up from the sleep deprivation (and the 22 miler).

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO, Poacher - have you seen the news today? M2N have changed the course and the date - now 30th Oct! I thought it was a very late April Fool but apparently not.
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    GD/Jools - impressive mile reps

GM - have a good flight and a great race!

I seemed to have developed some lower back pain. It came on yesterday afternoon, but wasn't too bad so I hoped it would be cleared up for this morning's MP run. I could still feel it when I got up, but thought it would ease off once I started running. Unfortunately it didn't and my legs were still a bit sore from my run the other day, so I did the sensible thing and binned it after 3 easy miles. Hopefully a day off tomorrow will leave me ok to do my long run on Sunday