Options

Bring Back races

Comments

• Options

I really must figure out how this quote thingy works

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I used to really enjoy the Longleat Road Relays, organised by Frome AC, which took place up until some point in the 90s.  There used to be some really good teams out for that.  Challenging 5Kish course enlivened by the possibility of being eaten by a lion.

Mind you, it was my dad who used to organise it, so I should just talk to him instead of posting on here.

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

Mind you, it was my dad who used to organise it, so I should just talk to him instead of posting on here.

You mean StevieG?

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

I can remember being taken down to the Gt West Road, in Brentford, by my parents, in the 50s, to watch some runners go by. Had no idea what it was all about, but they were running the Polytechnic Marathon. Then it was known as the Windsor to Chiswick run.

So in the 90s, when I considered running my first marathon, I thought it would be great to run the same race. Sadly, the last running was in 1996 (started in 1909). But it had ceased to be the Windsor to Chiswick back in the 70s.

Jim Peters featured in the 50s. This Marathon is worth an article on its own.

• Options

Cranfield 5k at Cranfield Uni, Beds. Suprisingly fast course even though there is one quite long hill between 3-4k.

Friday night, BBQ, student bar after. Perfect....Until they got arsey and stopped it, the dullards..

• Options

Simon,  Yes that fast (my PB was there). That was indeed taken off us when Cranfield withdrew permission and the Cranfield 5 mile as well.  Actually on the latter the county is finally replacing that next year but as a 10k in Bedford.

• Options

adrian - no new marathon on Anglesey - there's a half marathon which is organised by a professional company and which has become very popular - won by Andi Jones last year

• Options
    Holmfirth 15 great race for training for a half marathon not easy but a good race.

Pennine Bridleways of road relays, one of the best of road relay for beginners and veterans runners over some of the best views of the Pennines.
  • Options

Round my way I'd suggest:

Antrobus Cabbage Canter 10K - Flat course with very friendly organisation in September with a free cabbage for all entrants.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    Dachs wrote (see)

You mean StevieG?

you're mixing up my affectionate greeting with the literal son.

tip...don't go up north...when they call you cock...it's not them being offensive

• Options

There is now a Draycote Ultra again image

Can't do it this year though , so hope its a success and they do it again in 2016

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

good   news    Holmfirth   15   mile   race  returns   this  year

• Options
    A hopeful bring back .. The downland challenge 30 miler in Sussex put on by Haywards heath harriers for many years but not for last 3.

We have been given the blessing of the club and 2 ring binders of info on the race.

Slight problem with when to hold it as the usual Sunday in June now falls when the SDW100 is on which would be detrimental to both races.

So hoping on May 2016 dependant on clayton playing fields being free.

Jay

Sussex trail events
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Tour of Torfaen half marathon from Blaenavon through Pontypool to Cwmbran stadium. Blisteringly fast course ending at the stadium with the mayor dishing out the bling. Victim of cutbacks I think and lives on as a reduced 10k from Blaenavon to Pontypool as the Mic Morris memorial 10k. Sad but would be great to see it back.
    Organised by sport and leisure department of the council. I think it was policing costs which killed it off.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

i did the race  i never though would return (well half of  it)  yes  the Huddersfield marathon and half marathon    the new  route is one of the toughest ever  and  for the full  needs a lot of hill training

• Options

Cranford 10k, was the daffodil race for marie curie. Was a great road race but not seen for several years.

• Options
    Karl CorpezKarl Corpez ✭✭✭

South Coast marathon, near Gosport.  My first marathon, and still my favourite.

Charlwood 10, near Gatwick airport.  Finished about 1992!

Klix 10k Basingstoke.  A great quality race.  Traffic now would be a bit of a problem.

• Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭

Karl, I also ran the South Coast Marathon back in 1993 and still have the t shirt. I believe that was the last year it was held.

Now that the Southampton Half Marathon has been resurrected, it would be great if they could also reintroduce "The Mr Mayor's Southampton Marathon" which I ran 3 times in the eighties.

• Options

Does anyone know if the Aberdeen marathon will be returning? They were looking into it last year but not sure what was made or came of it. 

The North-east needs a marathon. Any news?

• Options

How about a "Don't let it die"

- Race The Train           Tywyn

The best race ever. No? The best SERIES of races ever. No?
    How about THE BEST PARTY EVER, with a bit of racing thrown in. AND A TRAIN!

This has appeared in RW magazine. It looked so good I actually went. It was better than the write up. So I went again. Even my non-running teen daughter ran and got a meggle.

Hmmm. What am I doing in August?

• Options

Luton Marathon

usually run towards the end of Nov, I entered it twice but never ran it.... stopped in 2014 due to road works in Luton and not able to guarantee a route for it, tried to email the organisers and email bounced back.

• Options

Clitheroe 10. Great memories for me as its the only time I'v ever gone under the hour in a 10 miler. Not that it was a particularly fast course, I just had a very good day.

• Options

Robert,

Stopsley Striders and Dunstable Road Runners used to organize. A LOT of work and I think once you take a break it can be difficult to re-galvanise doing it.

Also in fairness Stopsley now effectively organize the Luton Half Marathon in October for the council so don't think this one will come back.

• Options

The Ackworth Half Marathon had a successful return last year, on again on Easter Monday this year, 28th March

• Options

way before my time, but I would love to have tried the London Polytechnic marathon....last race in 1996 I believe...

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

love to see the Rothwell 10k near Leeds return    i have  done the race  and quite a lot ran it when held

• Options

Goyt Valley 10k .. tough but great trail race.

• Options
    decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

Lands End - John o Groats run race that used to be put on by Rory Coleman

• Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-36150734

Birmingham will have its first marathon since 1985 in October 2017.