RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• nell - Not sure I ever enjoy a 10k they are a tough race, I remember reading somewhere we hurt during a 10k and suffer during a marathon. Excellent training by you as ever.

AA -  Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you etc

Brol - Those pb's look pretty even don't think you can expect much more from the 10k with the pace on the 5k.  I know you 're coached but I find a good session for 10k racing is 3 x 2 mile hard with a mile recovery.

Minni - Yeah in the pool (will hit the lake after VLM) and no stops, just steady and keep going, your swim times look good just keep at it. What bike are you getting.

Will -  I don't think so, numbers are spread through the pens so you don't have a lot of runners finishing at the same time going to the same baggage truck, find out your pen when you collect race number etc

2old - long run done or are you going to do it with a fuzzy head Sunday? No, back OK after swim.

2k swim yesterday 20 x 100m full stroke nothing spectacular but happy with avg.  15 miles steady today at 7:17avg so a little on the quick side of MP but happy with run

• Hi all - thanks for birthday wishes. Had a mega hangover today!! Currently sat at Heathrow for departure to Maldives for a week. Happy silver wedding to me and mr AA. And yes....I was a child bride!!!! 

Hope tapir madness is grabbing us all - and bro!! Yes you can do it!! 

All inclisive. Yikes! Had a 7 mile run this morning. Legs work. That might me my long run for the week though!!!

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi AA, Enjoy the Maldives, don't eat and drink too much image

HI Barry, Nice 15. Yes the 3 x 2 Miles are a good session. I have them in my schedule to be ran -10 secs MP with 800M recoveries...

Rest for me today, hopefully get some S&C in today...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Chick - fingers crossed the taper fixes your foot. Can't say I'm in taper mode yet - it's been a tough week..maybe it will start tomorrow at the races ?

Nell-enjoy the rest you deserve it

Barry- another great bag of training with a fast 15. Looking good for 24th and your ironman.

AA- have a great holiday. Hope your wearing compression socks for the flight

Bro- they are right - the 2mile interval killer session is what you need .Kerp the slow stuff going

13k slow Weds, 13k at 7.14mm AV last night after a swim and spin session and 18m today 7.45 mm AV. Giving ykw a miss tomorrow. Taper begins now
  • AA- Maldives woohoo! We went there last year and I absolutely loved it. Happy anniversary to you and Mr AA. Child bridge indeed!image

2Old- good call on ditching the YKW. Enjoy the tapir!

Barry- I never said I expected to smash my 10k pb, just hoped to get close which was not unreasonable based on my previous and most recent 5k. Nice 15 steady... not so steady!image

Nell- enjoy your rest day, you've deserved it.

7 easy into work this morning which ended up on a fast side of easy- tut tut.imageProgressive 16m planned for tomorrow.

• 2old - of course I did!!! 

Bro - not in a million. had mine when I was young and skint so I could still be young enough to do this!!!!!

arrived after 22 hours but will be worth it!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/london-marathon-2016-6-world-7711264?utm_content=buffer53f30&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer This link was on the daily mirror. No pressure now then...! 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    AA- very exciting ,you'll be on TV too. Think

Nell and I will have to photobomb you at the start. The record is in the bag too
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Well done on the LR, and behave yourself at the Races image

Hi Bro, I guess if you feel like putting on a bit of pace why not eh?

Hi AA, Very exciting, you will be at the right start with the celebs image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell - we'll be there at the start with AA too. Maybe I'll be in the Daily Mail Aintree race pics? 

Bro-16m LR? Yes imageyou're joining us at the start on the 24thimage

good running all this weekend 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Yeah, AA made it into the papers image enjoy your break. Please post your justgiving link when you get back so we can make a donation.

16 miles, Bro? That doesn't sound like 10k trainingimage

Perfect day for a long run here.  Typical image

Enjoy the races, 2old.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Love it AA but surely they've got your age wrong... image. Wish I was going to be there with you.
  • 2 weeks today.....

chick - are you a week today!?

bro is definitely turning up on the green start. Don't overdo the taper though!!

minni - it's just not the same without you. I love meeting you at chatting cross and scaring all the first timers!!

6 miles on the treadmill today. Not enough with 2 weeks to go I know but I am on holiday! But both my hammys are really tight. And where i got the stitch last week still aches. Anyone any idea how long that will last? image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA- maybe some sort of exotic massage will fix your hammys and stitch. Dont worry about undergoing it now .  Great Twitter pic btw. 

Chick- lots of cotton wool. 

Minni- you will be missed. Good to see things progressing. 

Day of rest yesterday. Races went well...ish one winner, three seconds but didn't really win much as they were favourites. Planned to do a local sprint tri today but my sensible head stopped me. Easy run later. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Gawd, 2old is being sensible image right decision mate.

Did 5 today and really wanted to do more. It's so beautiful at the mo. Sensible head is firmly screwed on though image

Yep, AA, roundabout this time in a week I shall be devouring a burger and chips washed down with either a few pints of lager or red wine, depending what I feel up toimage

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Hope the run goes well, sorry to hear not such a fruitful day at the races image

Good decision btw...

Hi AA, Very commendable getting the run in between the Pina Colada's image Are the massages not covered on the AI?

Hi Chick, Got to be beer with Burger and Chips, especially as you guys keep the best stuff for yourselves image

8 miles yesterday at 7:14mm average and 18 miles at 7:15mm average today. Majority to be run at Moderate pace, so met that stipulation....that has been a hard two weeks,  slightly easing off over next two weeks and aim to try and run easy to moderate runs at the easy end of the spectrum to try and gain as much recovery as I can before London....I would take todays weather for London...perfect.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Spoons ran 3:31 in Manchester! image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- bet Spoons is cursing that 1minute.Strong winds here today so he will have had to put up with them but otherwise perfect conditions. 

Nell- a little less wind would make it perfect for me in two weeks . Your schedule certainly keeps the pressure on virtually to the last week . Good running this weekend

Chick- only 5? You must be going crazy. I felt a bit disappointed knowing I was missing the tri going on only 3 miles away....but yes a wise decision . I'm thinking of the post race hydration too .

Windy 9.4 miles today ,bit faster than intended - pace ranged from 7.30mm to 7.05mm average 7.20mm and a total of  56 for the week . I'm planning a big cut back this week with some MP miles . 

• Wow nell that's good going with 2 weeks to go. Hope you have a radical taper planned. 

2old - another good week from you too. 

im feeling like all my training and fitness is disappearing. Hoping my hammy is good enough to try an interval session on the treadmill tomorrow. Had a massage yesterday but not as deep as I would have liked. Taper madness. Nerves and fear kicking in now  already!!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA-stop frettingimage-sounds like your aches and pains and fatigue are disappearing which is what Im looking forward to.Careful on that TM

Had planned to swim but forced myself not to-easy run later.Bored with the taper already

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, The wind was not a problem here yesterday, nice and calm for once. Nice 9.4 today...enjoy the taper image

Hi AA, You will be fine, just you stay away from those red apples image No radical taper for me, but I do ease off slightly over the next two weeks. You just enjoy the rays and rest and have a good interval session...

8 miles this morning at average 7:26mm, and pretty much kept it to around that all way apart from the hill on the last bit home. I had no problem slowing down then! Legs a bit tired today...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell - you're lucky it's still blowing away here. I suppose I get more value from my runs  though just like your hill home. Not surprised your legs are tired ..they've worked hard. 

A progressive 10k in strong winds this evening starting at just under 8.30 mm and ending around 7.16 mm. The faster stuff seemed easier than the slower . 

• Well done guys keeping the quality in. 

I forced myself up and on the treadmill first thing. only did 3 miles with 4x800s. Better than nothing. Panic panic.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA-rest and chill ,stay off the TM. Nice intervals though .Enjoy your hols . 

Another uni visit coming up but managed to squeezed in a run - 6 miles AV 7.12 mm . Short and sharp .

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

yeah, AA - chill! Enjoy the Maldives and relax.

I did 3 by 2k @ MP yesterday - they came out as 7:40s. Whoops image  If I start like that on Sunday I'll be walking by 16 miles image

Note to self: Reign yourself in, stupid woman!!

Great to hear Spoons is still doing marathons image  I wonder what the rest of the old gang are up to ...

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, I hate the wind. I can deal with the rain as long as it isn't windy. Good running from you, nice breezy run this morning?

Hi Chick, You can take it easy from now, nice session...

Hi AA, 800's can be tough. Perversely they are one of my favourite sessions, although sometimes I feel like dying through them image Chill out from now....

Absolutely pouring with rain here, I decided to wait and join the group session tonight. Bad choice, should have gone out early this morning when it was dry. Oh well see how it goes...

• AA - Fame at last,  try and chill and enjoy the warm weather training.

Chick - Getting close for you.

nell - Your training has gone very well, hope it was n't too bad out there tonight.

2old -  Have you decided a target time yet?

A couple of easy days for me Friday(hour easy bike) and Saturday(swim club) but for some reason Sunday's 11 at 7.45 avg felt  harder  than last Thursday's 15 at a quicker pace.  2.1k swim (pull) on Monday and 5 with middle 3 quick this morning all OK apart from roadworks causing me to run across some muddy grass getting new shoes filthy.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Nell-here's hoping you see all the bad weather out before week Sunday .

Chick- good sessions and yes put the breaks on now. Carbon load soon. Exciting that you get us all started .

Barry- I'm like you finding some sessions tough and others easy.Maybe the mix of disciplines is taking its toll. Dirty shoes are not allowed though mine are covered in mud too. Thinking of 7.15 mm first half and as near as possible to that second half though recent runs cause me to doubt hanging on to that pace all the way. Another way of looking at it is to try and do 4x10k at around 45mins and see where I am for the last 2k and a bit.Thats what I usually do .How about you?
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

I would really really really love a negative split ... it eludes me. But even after 10 marathons I simply can't hold back enough at the beginning image  and then there's the second half where I have to keep the HR in check, which is really annoying. Stupid heart condition image

Carb loading starts tomorrow image

• Chick - I know what you mean. In the 24 I've run I've done 2 negative splits. Berlin and French Riviera! Only by a minute though! Can we track you on Sunday?!

nice long 22 hour journey home tomorrow with a boat and 2 planes to catch. Already starting to apologise to my hamstrings which will take a few days to recover from The journey! 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Barry, Understand where you are feeling the sessions hard. Hopefully it feels like the shoes have been properly broken in now. Which reminds me I must take mine out for another run tomorrow....

Hi Chick, Enjoy the carb load image

Hi 2old, Good idea on the 4 x 10k theory. Funny I was out last night having a drink with a couple of golfers and the one guys was explainingt how he splits the round into 6 x 3 and keeping each 3 holes to a certain par, which reminded me of this ...

Hi AA, I do not envy that journey. Hope you have your compression socks with you image

Well I had an awful night last night. Group ran 8 x 800M, which was not really what I was up for. Especially after some S&C earlier in the day. The wind was blowing and the circuit had a slight climb for 100 metres in the wind to make it more delightful. I usually run 5 x 1k at this stage of the schedule, which I saw one group session in the club was running tonight!

Anyway I struggled and ran 7 of the reps and then completed some strides whilst the others finished. Terrible splits of:2:56, 3:07, 3:07, 3:13, 3:15, 3:14, 3:15 then a couple of 200M strides at: 0:37 (5:44), 0:37(5:23). Really wasn't the session I should have ran after two hard weeks and 8 Monday morning. Just shows the science in these schedules is spot on as I was running the 800's at MP -10 secs in the latter reps, which I would have ran the 1k reps at.

Decided to run my easy 6 miles this morning and binned the club running tonight as I knew I would try and push too hard. Ran the 6 at 7:27mm average which was pretty much all way around.