Things you want to say but can't

Comments

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    The person who fitted that kitchen ought to be taken out and given s hundred lashes and that'd be less than one lash per mistake.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

You only promised the referendum for narrow party advantage and not out of any sense of duty to the country. And now to save your pink skin you're spending taxpayer money on leaflets to promote your side of the argument. How about the party pays the cost or even better your tax-dodging family's offshore trust?

• dear electoral register people. It's slightly strange you've sent us a blank polling card to remind us to get on the electoral register. You see there are two people registered to vote at our address and you should know that as you sent us polling cards with our names on last week!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, I know it's unfair that a poor chap who has only one leg is being discriminated against competing in the Olympic long jump.

But really, let's have a look at his technique.

It's a fastish run up, which seems ok and then he hits the take off board with what is a bloody great spring.

No wonder he did 8:40m

Who is he, Zebedee? 

🙂

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    If I was seriously wealthy and could get away with not paying taxes, I probably would. And sod the rest of you plebs. As it is I can't so I'm dead against it.
  • If you have to explain what the person in the photo is looking at out of shot, I suggest it may not be a very good photo image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

There is NOTHING WRONG with valuing someone's skills by paying them for what they are doing.  Volunteering is lovely, but people have to live and if they have spent years training and gaining experience in a field and become good at it, THEY DESERVE TO BE PAID!  Stoppit with the guilt, self-righteous voluntary sector. image

• Madbee,

Serial chief executives of large charities certainly aren't shy about being paid any more..

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Madbee, It isn't a real charity if they get paid. Sure they might claim the tax breaks but it is a business whose main aim is to pay the staff and keep the person who started it in a job.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Dear backwater estate agent. You have been a slow and awkward person to deal with and I do not believe that you even put my first offer forward. So if you think that i am going to use a solicitor that gives you a xmas bonus then I'm afraid you are going to be slightly disappointed, as I was.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Not so, VDOT. Directors of charities (ie trustees, which is generally what the people who establish it are) cannot be paid - staff can, but not the people who actually call the shots at the top.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I thought they get around that via expenses and siphoning off cash?image
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

oh goodie, the UKA now has a rule banning headphones in races (other than those medically prescribed)
    I wonder if there has ever been a thread on this topic....

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Dustin wrote (see)

oh goodie, the UKA now has a rule banning headphones in races (other than those medically prescribed)
    I wonder if there has ever been a thread on this topic....

But what about deaf people?

• Dear bus driver, apologies for the state of that fiver, I ran a marathon with it in my pocket and it got a bit damp!
  • Dumping 200+ photos of the Brighton Marathon onto Facebook without any form of quality control is really dumb. What is the point of out of focus shots of the backs of people's heads? So that's your friend in the photo, but they are a tiny speck three quarters obscured by other runners! Do you really need five virtually identical photos of your friends in the cafe afterwards?

Haven't you ever heard the expression "Less is more?"

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Mr Worry, I feel your pain. Ditto the fb friends who post a whole 200+ photo album of their holiday snaps. 
    Not even close family would want to wade through that many I'd imagine.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Oh God you do have a sense of humour.  The one thing I was looking forward to, and now the edge will be taken off by something silly. Thanks very much. image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    VDOT52 wrote (see)
    I thought they get around that via expenses and siphoning off cash?image

Heh.  Possibly in some cases.  And actually, the majority of directors of smaller charities are entirely inactive and rely on the staff to make decisions anyway so I guess you could argue that the paid people are in fact calling the shots.  They just need the trustees to nod and smile.  Sorry, hobby horse - inactive but power-game-playing trustees make my life difficult a lot of the time!  But I still think staff should be paid for their skills, whatever the nobility of the cause.  image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Dear BT

About 20 years ago you set up a free email service for anyone who wanted it. This was quite a novelty at the time. Free forever, you said. A couple of years ago you introduced a charge, of £1.60. About the cost of a cup of tea, so although I was unhappy I stayed with it. Now you're wanting £5 a month. And the service is often flaky.

You are an Internet Service Provider but you say I can only cancel the email address and the payment by telephone. I just tried calling. Guess what? "We are very busy and we will answer your call as soon as we can."

I'm off to the bank to simply cancel the direct debit. And you can foxtrot oscar.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Geordie footy fan moaning on the train this morning that the offside goal scored by Man City last night will cost you £50 million + if you get relegated. If indeed you do drop it will be because your team has failed to turn up for the first 33 games of the season.

• Yes, she was sometimes really quite funny. But she could be very ordinary too. "One of the all-time greats"? Er.... no.

• Living to 90 after a very comfortable life is hardly a great achievement.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Madbe- image

Mr Worry- indeed. Not having to wipe ones own arse does not make breathing for 90 years somehow become a big thing.
  • Dustin wrote (see)

Mr Worry, I feel your pain. Ditto the fb friends who post a whole 200+ photo album of their holiday snaps. 
    Not even close family would want to wade through that many I'd imagine.

Photo sharing sites can be even worse. This month I have been subjected to the boredom of the woman on the mango farm, the pictures of some dude's suburban street in the snow and I am currently trying to get past macaroons. Stacked macaroons, smashed macaroons individual macaroons, macaroons in different colours. FFS stop taking photos of them and just eat the fecking things! 

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    NorthEnder wrote (see)

Yes, she was sometimes really quite funny. But she could be very ordinary too. "One of the all-time greats"? Er.... no.

As Queens go she has to be up there.

I don't remember any others.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    VDOT52 wrote (see)
    Madbee, It isn't a real charity if they get paid. Sure they might claim the tax breaks but it is a business whose main aim is to pay the staff and keep the person who started it in a job.

I think you are confusing "charity" with "voluntary".  Charities raise money for "public benefit" causes.  They can (and do, and mostly should) pay salaries.  I'd not be happy if moeny I donated to, for instance, Cancer Research, was used to buy equipment to be used by volunteer researchers to try to find a cure.  The money is donated and should be used to fund the best quality professionals to achieve the aims of the charity.

Charity shops often have volunteers working in them, manning the tills to raise funds for the charity's cause.  That's different.

Chief Execs and chuggers are a different issue - some may bring in sufficient funds and/or raise the charity's profile to an extent that they represent value for money.  Others don't.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Not just raising money Nessie - charities can also provide activities and other services for the benefit of others. In the case of the charity I work for, very little of it is about raising money (though that is mainly what I do for them, and of course necessary. And by that I mean writing funding bids, not chugging image ) but more about providing community activities.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

So, the latest celebrity (Prince) has pegged it. Which media manufactured god is next?

I should design and produce a public 'emoting kit', to cover this sort of post princess Di shit.

Yes, it'd have candles, tissues, knee pads, the number of the nearest florist and an app with to access the most appropriate comment site where the 'fan' can pour out their grief about someone they never met.

🙂