Sub 3h15

Comments

• LB70LB70 ✭✭✭

Hi Moof, congrats on the win!

I managed to get my 18 miler done and my back felt fine. Average pace was 7.31, so pleased with that - cardio wise I felt good, but my legs felt tired - but they've got two weeks to recover!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

been online to see the results of our Manc runners . ..   note that my son's mate (making his debut) won the thing in 2:22   . . . . .

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    50km (31m) here in 4:40. All good until 42km then slowed due to glycogen depletion and dehydration. It was a bit harder than I had anticipated and I got negative demons in my mind. I have resolved to trust the training and the taper.

90 miles for the week, another 'biggest ever'. Cutback next week.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - nice muddy MLR. All the best with the beetroot juice...
    GD - good way to end taper week 1.
    OO - nice fast finish parkrun. So are you going for 4 weeks of beetroot juice? There's dedication for you. No return to bed for me yesterday I'm afraid.
    ssc - hoep the schedule change does the trick and puts some bounce back in your legs.
    VTr - another week of rest and sleep will do wonders.
    Outro - that's a very impressive 10k debut especially a trail one.
    Leslie - pleased to hear the quad is back to normal.
    LB70 - tasty final MLR. Hope you've avoided picking up the lurgy! Hip seems okay today. Might go for an easy run tomorrow.
    moof - congrats on the win - that's brilliant! 15 miles this afternoon?!
    Birch - what a debut!
    Off to check other Manchester results...

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

x-post Bike It - that would be tough any day, but at the end of a 90 mile week that's going some!
    Also meant to reply to PMJ. Yes, the individual splits tell a more detailed story. The paces are averages and there were no set points at which I thought, "Oh time to increase my pace by 5% (or whatever)"! These are the individual splits:
    9:15, 8:44, 8:52, 8:43, 8:28, 8:36, 8:31
    8:20, 8:35, 8:32, 8:19, 8:23, 8:03, 8:04
    7:47, 7:31, 7:19, 7:20, 7:25, 7:19, 7:14, 7:12.
    So a progressive run of sorts, with small ups and downs.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Manc: 3.26.06 which is a miracle on rubbish training. I even stopped for several minutes at 18m for a chat with a chum. Curate's egg of an event, lots of good things but hopeless in others, esp. baggage handling. Didn't spot KR or GM, hoping they had a good day.

Birch - I did see the pack at the front when they were at about 15m. The competition looked absolutely savage so that's a really great win.  

Tired now, more anon.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Very well done Poacher! Not bad for your first long run.

I saw that Fraser had another good performance at Manchester.

Excellent result Moof. On fire!
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    3:16:01 for me today

Good race, course great in parts not so good in others, organisation... I'll leave that for another day!

I ran the first half in 1:37:35 so slightly disappointed not to break 3:15 especially as i started behind the 3:15 pacers and finished ahead of them! Averaged 7:25 but my Garmin measured it at 26.42 so god knows whats happened there haha. Still - a 21 minute PB on only my 3rd marathon (3:52, 3:37) can't be scoffed at!

Thanks for the advice on here recently. If I hadn't have asked about pacing there's no way I would have gone for 3:15 so thank you very much gang.

Some really unpleasant scenes in the baggage queue after which did tarnish the day for me. Saw a few people needing medical treatment - one quite serious - and the runners and supporters on the course deserved much much better from the organisers. It was a complete and utter shambles and I for one won't be back at Manchester in a hurry.
  • Traffic chaos in Manchester this morning to say the least and I missed the start and seeing poacher and GM!

Gun time was 3.27.44 and chip time was 3.03.03 which was a PB by 37 seconds. Full report later, but gutted to have mussed sub 3 again.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Great running on here, shame to read though that there seems to have been issues at Manchester , I for one left last year with a really positive impression and a keenness to run it again.  Not sure if I was just lucky or if something  was different for today's event. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Start location was changed - no excuses for poor organisation though. Disappointing.

Hard luck KR. Close to target. Do you think the stress of traffic and arriving late had an impact?

Great PB CSMLFC! You'll smash it next time.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

CSM - really good work - a few less undulations and a reduced headwind and you would have cracked it 3.15. That's a massive PB. Be proud.

KR - be proud too, at that level it's a decent chunk of PB, and on a day which must have started in stress city so it sounds like you ran out of your skin playing catchup.

I could write a book about Greater Manchester's road and public transport "issues", but most of it would be unprintable. "Northern Powerhouse" my a**e, more like northern AAA battery.

Biggest chapeau of the day goes to the people of Altrincham, who turned out to support en masse, carnival atmosphere, top supporters.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great running from KR, CSM and Poacher in Manchester. Sounds like a very small fade, CSM, in the context of a huge pb, so I'd say that's a job very well done. Sorry the sub 3 eluded you, KR, but 3.03 is very close and if your weather was anything like ours, conditions were against you. Poacher: great to see you racing again. All: sorry to hear of transport and baggage issues. Always takes the edge off a day.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Well done Manchester Crew, especially in light of adversity.  KR, your time is still a great one and a PB but I am sorry it wasn't the sub-3 you so deserve.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Moof, awesome performance and congrats on the win! Seems the du/tri stuff suits you well.

Poacher, really awesome result. Must be a great feeling to have zipped around like that (your engine is well built!).

CSM, you did an incredible job today. Drink it up! Incredible PB effort.

KR, sounds like a very stressful way to start. I think we can all relate to that. Even if you missed sub3 by just a bit, you finished with stellar time nonetheless. So feel good about a job well done!!

BI, beast mode. Again. You rule these days. Keep eating and enjoy that cutback!

Did an easy 4.5 today with a few striders thrown in. 26 degrees F. Still forecasting 64 for race day.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Well played at Manchester. Cracking PB CSM; Nice long run #1 Poacher; brilliant pacing KR.

Your tales of traffic and baggage chaos leave me wondering what's happened to Manchester Marathon. Have they got too big for their boots?

Hope Gerard had a good run too.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great running guys some fantastic results for moof poacher & CSM. Not a bad run between them. And KR that a really good time, don't beat yourself up too much.

Great to hear the advice helped CSM- I'm sure you can get even better next time if you stick around.

19 here today at plod pace. Time to start the taper. 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Well Done KR which is little comfort as not what you were after, the late stressful start must have had an impact. I'm sure your time you want will come.

CSM that's a great effort and a massive chunk off your old pb.

Good work Poacher, I do like your casual approach to most marathons.

A very easy 15miles at 8.20mm pace for me today as a bit of muscle soreness was just letting me know I worked a bit yesterday.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Great runs guys. Congratulations on the PB CSM - that's a big chunk off. Amazing performance Poacher given the limited training. Must have cost you a lot of time KR moving through all those other runners and difficult to get your head down and run. Nevertheless an outstanding run. ( I particularly like your chip time as one of the main pioneers of 3G)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Evening all. Just back home after a nightmare trip back. Flight delayed by 2 hours. I had a bad run today. Very tired now and sore. The short version is  - I set off with the intention of reaching halfway around the 1:35 mark and aiming for under 3:15 allowing for a slight fade (lol). I was a bit concerned as I have had a groin and glute problem the past few weeks and was hoping all the rest and sports massage in the last few weeks would see me reach my target. My groin flared up around 16 miles and I knew the last 10.2 would be difficult, but wasn't expecting it to be so bad. I experienced horrible abdominal pain around 20 miles amongst things I and knew my was over. Reached 20 miles in 2:26:xx. I almost quit but walked the last 10k with the odd shuffle and finished with a personal worst of 3:34. I just was not able to run and when I started walking everything seized up. Ah well, I am not disappointed as I gave my all and it just wasn't meant to be today. Never mind, it's only running and the conditions were great for a run or walk or whatever rocks your boat. image

Jools - I was running with someone who knows you and is a fellow club member of yours. We chatted for a mile or two and I said goodbye to her as she was aiming for 3:05. Her name is Francesca and is from Jersey. I've raced her a few times and I reckon she beat me today for the first time by a wide margin. I haven't checked her result yet.

Poacher/KR- Well  done both, I hope you enjoyed today. And yes, the bag drop was a total bore. Hopefully they get it right next time! image

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

GM, you have the best perspective on life. Obviously, injury and other unexpected variables worked heavily against you today. But hats off that you crossed the finish, and I have to say, with all that you describe, the finish time was quite remarkable! Someone once told me every marathon is different and we learn something from each. My own bit of history is that after a DNF, I came back stronger than ever for the next one. I can easily envision that outcome for you. Rest and recover well.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

x-post - Yay CSMLFC, that's a super run. Well done sir!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTr - Wise words my friend and thanks. The locals made me smile so much today. I was doubled up with pain around the 20 mile mark and one woman asked me if it hurt bad. I said "nah, it kills!" She howled with laughter and shook my hand and said, don't ever lose your sense of humour, it's lovely. I managed a shuffle for a minute after that. image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Gerard, those glute niggles are my main nemesis, closely backed up by hip flexors, tight calfs etc etc....

What was the abdominal pain, food issues or do you think linked to your groin injury.

Still, well done for toughing it out, these marathons can be quite brutal.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Moof - Thanks. I have been concerned about that region of my body the past few weeks. I did a LSR about 4 weeks ago and had the same issues. I stupidly did a hard 10k 2 weeks back just because I felt great and then everything just got gradually worse from then. I have had almost complete rest the past 14 days with about 4 runs nothing hard or long and hoped that would cure it, but no chance. All of the above you mentioned bothered me today. My right side is not good and my hip flexors coupled with the glute were working overtime and I am assuming that is what caused the ab pain. It didn't feel like a digestive issue as it was rising up from below the waist. Yes, the marathon is a cruel mistress sometimes and I often question the sanity of it all. Immediately afterwards I was thinking.... would you do this again soon and the answer was a big no, but now I am thinking it won't be so bad next time! Hah, hence, the question of sanity on a regular basis. Amazing really as I was thinking early March, all is good I am not injured etc and even after that, me thinks I was a bit wrong. image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear yesterday was tough, GM.  Our PWs are pretty similar and it takes me back to my miserable day run/walking the second half of Cologne 2010 when I could not cope with the heat.  You'll be back!  And yes, Francesca runs for B&W and finished in 3.05.  She seems to be on an upwards curve at the moment.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Bike it -great long run in an epic week image

Great runs from all the Manchester crew image

Poacher - nice run of no training ,5 x 20m is for amateurs !

Gm-why do we ever do these mara's ? , a tough day for sure but sooner forgotten and no doubt you will be back for more image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Poacher - excellent effort off limited training. Well done.
    CSMLFC - congrats on the 21 minute PB! Sub 3:15 within sight now.
    KR - great effort there. I'm guessing the 24 mins difference between gun and chip time tells it's own story - the stress of something like that plus picking your way through the field will have cost you dearly.
    OO - good plodding.
    moof - nice 15 mile recovery runimage
    GM - really sorry to hear you had such a bad time yesterday. That's a tough experience to go through but you will gain from it and come bouncing back next time when you're ready.
    3 easy miles here this morning and everything seems okay. Still managed a respectable 51 miles last week despite the 2 days rest and now into a cut-back week.

• LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Well done to the Manchester runners!

CSMLFC - that was a great run and superb PB!

GM - sounds like a very hard day, but well done for toughing it out

KR - hard luck on missing out on a sub 3, but still a great time, particularly given the circumstances

Poacher - fantastic first LR of the year!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Bike It your epic miles are duly noted. Good work.

((GM)) have a virtual man hug. When the body gives in with so many miles to go it's just awful. I'm surprised you finished and one would hope soldiering on won't have caused extra damage. You were on for a decent time too. Take a good long rest now.