Backpack Advice for a hike

Probably not the right section of the forum but for some mad reason I trust Piratical advice. I' have used the serach function but the only relevant posts are sparse and years old.

I'm going to attempt the Welsh 3000 in May and I need a backpack/hydration pack. I'm taking walking poles so something I can attach/store them in is needed and for some mad reason I like the idea of having water bottles on the front straps.

Can anyone recommend something not in the £100 plus bracket or talk me out of my mad hydration ideas and assure me a camel back type product is the way to go?

I've never tried anything like this before but I do take meds that mean I'm more thirsty than the average bear both in frequency and volume. I'm also only 5ft3 if that has any bearing.

Comments

• This one ? http://www.welsh3000s.co.uk/

Jeez......

Water bottles on the front will be easier to refill on the go.

I think you'd need to go into an outdoor shop to try on some rucsacs - what fits me won't fit you and comfort is going to be key on this.

(the website has some sneaky advice about swapping sacks over too- ditching a tent and things and going with a lighter pack for the rest of it - so which sac are you talking about ?

I'm sure you'll be doing plenty of walks to prepare for it -so I'd be checking out the outdoorsy shops as part of the weekend. For your short training walks any pack will do.
  • AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

That's the beastie Cougie, we have a support car so we're not taking tents, we'll walk up to the top of Snowden in the early morning to start off the fun image So it's just a smaller day pack type that I'm after but water/hydration will be a big one for me and like you say the bottles are easier to refill. We'll have lots of water stocked in the car but I need to carry enough for each stage with me.

I'm not having any luck in the shops as they don't stock the packs with the water bottles on the front as "there's not enough demand in store but they can order them for me"

So it's down to asking around now.

• What i normally do when walking in the summer is we carry each others water bottles - its easier to take a waterbottle out of a pack in front than struggle round to reach behind me.

That said - I was in George Fisher in Keswick and they definitely had the packs you're thinking of. Flexible bottles in the straps. I think you need a weekend away there !image
  • AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Sounds tempting, head off for a test hike and some shopping image
    The outdoor shops in Norwich and Edinburgh were no use, I wasn't surprised by Norwich but I had hoped Edinburgh might have had something.

• George Fisher has a decent website ( and a webcam, so you can get a mountains fix from the office), try Cotswold Outdoor they have a website as well 

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Thanks Dave I'd been looking on the Cotswold one and found a couple of possibilities but they don't stock them in store so I'd be buying blind hence seeing if anyone could recommend anything. I shall have a look at George Fisher.

• We have a couple of bladders, that we put in which ever sac's we are using rather than a dedicated sac.

when we were in Nepal we used metal Sigg bottles ( so they could be sterilised by boiling) and we used a carabiner on the loop on the bottle top to snap it on to our sac straps 

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

It's cloudy up there ! But a good site, I think I might be getting somewhere now, thanks for the help image

• It hasn't stopped raining all day ,  if they panned the camera a couple of degrees right I could wave image