Talkback: Bristol parkrun faces park usage charge

Sadly stupidity and short sightedness prevailed, a very sad day for common sense. The councils argument that Parkrun have paid directors is pure b****** and like saying we should never try and cure cancer because those charities all have directors and paid staff. Not only are the council double dipping they have caused the closure of this event until hopefully the next elections where these fools can be booted out of office.

Comments

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Royal parks try to charge you if they see you in club colours running together.
  • Wow - shame on Stoke Gifford Parish Council for their clueless characterisation of parkrun and its ethos. I guess it would be much simpler to just prevent anyone using the park at all - that would keep the maintenance costs down!

• Given the (wholly negative) publicity that this is now generating, I wouldn't surprised to see a fairly swift reversal of the decision.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much 'British Military Fitness' pays for the damage thst they do to the grassy areas of parks? (Not to mention the dignity of the park) And do they pay for the mud that their customers take home on their person?... What with that being a fully fledged business where all of the staff are paid and all of those who partake are paying for the privilege to do so.

Gong after parkrun seems like possibly the least effective way of raising money that anyone could imagine.
  • The fact that the names and private email addresses of council members was published on their website is.. well, it can't end well image

• I think that BMF might have to pay? I know I've seen stories of personal trainers saying the council had tried to charge them.

BMF is a profit making business so I could see a small charge would be fair?

Parkrun must be free though.
  • The council guy on the news this morning was saying that if they don't give permission to parkrun to use the park then they cannot be insured. Is that the case? Does parkrun have to be insured? 

• Parkrun is insured anyway -

"parkrun is recognised by Run in Britain, part of UK Athletics, and although it has not received any direct public funding, the parkruns are covered by the UK Athletics insurance scheme for clubs. This benefit has a low public cost, as the insurance scheme already operates nationally and is funded through subscriptions from members of UKA affiliated running clubs and from UKA affiliated races, however it represents a significant cost saving to parkrun, and is a strong example of a carefully identified low cost intervention realising significant benefit."
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

My concern is that if one council or other landowner decide to charge then lots of others will try to follow suit: could be an easy money earner for some, often would be £3-400 every Saturday morning for not doing a lot.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It can't be allowed to set a precedent. They have to close down the parkrun there if they insist on wanting a fee.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware the insurance is only valid if the event has the landowners permission. Therefore, if this council say they can't hold a parkrun there without paying then the permission would be revoked and the insurance invalidated.
  • plazzyplazzy ✭✭✭

You could always, er, run to it and leave the car at home/further away?

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess there'll be a big crowd showing up there on Saturday morning to show support for the event. Let's hope there is enough media coverage to embarrass the twunts. Those who voted for it and those who abstained to allow it through need to seek counselling.
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    alehouse wrote (see)

My concern is that if one council or other landowner decide to charge then lots of others will try to follow suit: could be an easy money earner for some, often would be £3-400 every Saturday morning for not doing a lot.

Agree there Alehouse - there are parkrun's that take place in areas which may be much more justified (in their view) to charge. I am thinking Brockenhurst in the New Forest as one such example as this is an environmentally sensitive area which is trying to mitigate the impact of those that travel there for recreation!

It does seem silly though - a charge because the concrete paths are being damaged presumably...what by? Heel strikers causing potholes that need maintenance? Seriously poor and an ill informed decision on the fact of it that's for sure!

• HellywobsHellywobs ✭✭✭

It's not a parking charge - they don't charge for parking.  They want to levy a charge for the actual running.

• They should charge for parking instead of for parkrun. Problem solved.

• VDOT52 wrote (see)
    I'd guess there'll be a big crowd showing up there on Saturday morning to show support for the event. Let's hope there is enough media coverage to embarrass the twunts. Those who voted for it and those who abstained to allow it through need to seek counselling.

The trouble with this is if, say, a thousand people turn up at the park, it would give the council the perfect opportunity to say 'we told you so - thousands are going to damage the park'. The local parkrun has appealed to people not to do this, and not to send abusive emails to the council or councillors, and that they want to sort it out themselves. Seems reasonable to me.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    This week's event has been cancelled.