sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Did I see the world triathlon there RowieB? Welcome welcome welcome. I wouldn't give up just yet, you still have plenty of time before the race and legs are naturally tired at this point in training. You'll be fine image Which triathlons do you have lined up?

FRC - Manchester way. Unsure yet exactly where/when or if in fact it will actually happen..

• Hi! Yes I did a couple of local sprints last year (pool based) and loved it (even though my swimming was so poor I panicked and did breaststroke!). Have spent the winter swimming twice a week with the local tri club so even though i'm slow at least I can do a half decent front crawl.  I'm doing a couple of local sprints in the summer and hopefully a standard. Although I am doing Craggy Island in October so would like to do an open water event before that one!   There is also an SUP (stand up paddleboard instead of the swim) triathlon in August that I've decided to do (on my birthday!)

Big thing flashed up on facebook saying it's 18 days till London.  That seems such a short space of time for my Achilles or peroneal tendon or whatever it is that's bothering me to clear up image  I'll hopefully know more tomorrow after I've seen the podiatrist. 

• Hi Rowie B. Yeah wait till you've seen physio... 4 days to go til my marathon! Yikes. (Goes off to roller and check what Howard's knee dips are.... )
  • Rowie. You'll be fine. I think it's just taper madness and can be ignored.

Why a podiatrist though? I'd trust physio or chiropractor more. Pod will just suggest insoles normally.

Shedboy, canal path on your right, Glasgow through to Falkirk wheel, linlithgow, ratho and others coming out near Haymarket marina thing. I can grade the civic responsibilities of each areas by their dog walkers pick up habits.
  • Hi Fit, not sure TBH why a podiatrist. I saw him before when I had DMCS (pain in top of foot basically) and he was really good.  If I'm not satisfied i'll try and see a physio tomorrow or maybe next week although I'm in East Lothian if anyone knows anyone good there I can see?

• Ikle, Knee dips:

Stand on one leg and balance. Then bend the knee you are standing on and then straighten it again. Repeat. To make it harder, close your eyes!

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

FRC - run and cycled that a lot - the dog walkers and extendable leads are one thing the pit bulls called chardonnay not on a lead are when you get in the canal and avoid them!! yes its a journey through the civic behaviours of scotland that route.  might run it tomorrow to catch up a bit on my mileage image

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Ikle - excited now?  You should be!  Will be thinking of you Sunday off on holiday tomorrow but will logon to see how you get on.  Go Ikle kick some Manchester Ass!! Ok sub 4 will do image

• Hope all is going well IKLE

• Ooh it was super fun. More to follow. Race report even. Short version: 4:31, with ITB issues in right knee from mile 4!! Ran the whole race on my left leg. Go left leg!! =) Really enjoyed it for some reason. Great race and didn't have to get involved in baggage nightmare. Superb. Feel sick today though dragging knee around work. But I don't care!!!

• Well done Ikle. How you keep going and so positive for 22 miles with a hurty knee amazes me.

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Well done Ikle. Just popped in whilst on holiday to seemhow you did. Amazing determination and so glad you enjoyed it. Left legs are under rated!! So happy for you!
  • Well done Ikle, glad you enjoyed the race! Hazaar left leg!

• Nice one Ikle. Going for sub 4, no idea how you stayed so positive with sore ITB.

Baggage was bad, I waited an hour and freezing cold. If it had been raining... Pretty bad. Nice and sunny thankfully.

Steady one for me, okay up to 12-13 miles, half way in 1:43 but could feel kidneys and hamstring a bit sore from previous week's ultra. Stuck in some walk breaks 12 min/1:30 and drank loads of water, eased back to a safe 3:37.

As Comrades training, Been out tonight for 8 miles with masses of hills. Legs feel surprisingly good once they warmed up.
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

FRC - you are a machine.

Quick question. Anyone use compression socks for running? I use them for recovery and its in my rehab just now.  Used them for running before but not a marathon.  Physio thinks they "may" help prevent cramps and some soreness at London etc. Not sure if they actually will help or hinder me during 26.2!?

• If you haven't used it in training...
  • I definitely did use my right leg in training.

• image Hehe. How is it feeling post race? 

Also well done FRC! You really are a machine.

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Hehe Ikle. Hope you arent hobbling too bad. Some achievement ikle that took a lot of guts!

Jcg - i used them during long runs when weather was rubbish. Felt good and def helped post run just dont know if during run they would help me now ( as i wasnt nursing a sore calf then). Quite relaxed and will see ... Did a stress test cycling and walking and i think it helps keep them snug and def less pain. Or is it all in my head???? Taper madness.....

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Thats it i am defo doing London. TOTP tells me so.....
  • It's a sign!

I'm currently calculating run walk ratios for my Comrades first 26 miles and half way point Sheddie. Really does work.. Martin will back me up on this.
  • As for the machine comments, not really...push your body a little, it learns to take the load. JCG you know this from iron lady training!

I wear compression socks also, usually sleeves. Really work.
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

cheers FRC!  I am feeling much more confident and looking at running(slowly) first 6 or so then doing 9:1.  I am fit enough not to walk it but want to be smart and enjoy it being 10-20% undertrained.  Good news i "think" my calf is getting better!!

Anyway you are a machine - but a nice one who shares their knowledge image

• This is true Mr FRC. What would have ruined me 15 weeks ago is now standard training.. I bought a pair of compression sleeves at the weekend too - they're great. I don't wear them running though, I prefer to save them for after as a treat.. image

If you're used to them go for it Shedboy!

• Compression tights for after. Hold the big muscles in.

Absolutely nailed strength session this morning.. Some big lifting then 7 miles tonight. Feeling good.

So shedboy has London who else?
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

So Ive done everything wrong nutritionally in last week and 3 (well maybe 4) nights on the lash must end and i must get serious for next week.  I think because i am not racing London i have let standards slip somewhat. So want to have an angelic week build up.

Whats the dos and donts?  I probably well versed enough with the donts to be honest......

• Dos: Sleep, Sleep and ... Sleep particularly the last two nights.

• Well my mojo seems to be back. Last Monday I ran the fastest 5 mile training run of the year and yesterday smashed my 3.4 mile best training for the year.

Just still base training.

Two fast runs a week @ average 85% max heart rate or higher.

Two slow runs a week@ average 70% max heart rate or lower.

Short term plan to crack my 5k pb which I set late last summer at Wimbledon Parkrun. It is still a bit wet to race there safely (IMHO) but will start again soon.

Long term plan to run a Spring Marathon in 2018.