Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Just a quick post to say a MASSIVE thank you to Shades. Finished in 3:23 over the moon. Race report to follow!!
  • Well done on the productive morning Cal and glad you have your running legs back.

1SteveMac that is a great result really well done, look forward to the report.

10 miles lsr done, this time next week I should hopefully be around an hour from finishing London, very scary.

Shades hope you enjoyed Llanelli, I nearly headed down that way for my run today as I completely forgot about the marathon there! Went to the bay instead, sun was glorious and not too windy.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Steve - awesome result well done..
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Great result Steve! You must be so chuffed with that. And brilliant results from Louey and Caitlin too, I've enjoyed tracking you all from my sofa. Looks like you had great weather for it today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Fantastic running all around! Glad you got your sub-4:30, Catalin - I guess the leg was OK?

Steve, great time! I reckon your time was about the length of the baggage queue at Manchester. image

And very well done Louey.

So, here's a question. Due to the cock ups at Manchester, they're giving us a discount on next year's race (if we want it). The race itself was really good and well supported, so I could always leave my bag with my friend although I suspect they'll have sorted their issues out by then. One hopes, anyway.

So the pluses are flat course, free accomodation and a cheaper entry fee. Minuses are that organisation may not be any better, the train fare will cost more and it will take longer to get home.

On the other hand, entries for Brighton open tomorrow. It's easier to get to, cheaper train, but will require a night in a hotel and is a more expensive race. So I'd like your input on organisation, atmosphere and course so I can decide.

Obviously there's also London but ballot chances are slim and I don't have enough contacts to raise money for a charity place. So I'm just going to assume that won't happen.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Brilliant running by our Brighton runners, am looking forward to the race reports.  Hope you all had a good day and enjoyed your race.

Iain - you'll have to check the rules in the 6 hour race, they can vary.  6 hour races are usually won by the person that completes the furthest distance in the 6 hours, even if the winner stopped running at 5 hours, if their distance is greater then they are the winner.   But I have heard of some races that insist that the distance only counts if the runners are still on the track/course when the 6 hours finishes.

mowzer - hope you enjoyed Bungay, I know it's one of your favourites, we met there didn't' we?

Cal - well done on the tax return!   Now you're back running you'll soon get rid of any post race tiredness.

Re Manchester/Brighton, are they too close together to do both?image   I think you should go for Brighton, I know it's expensive but I've heard the race organisation is good, but we'll soon find out when we get the race reports.

SK - next week we'll be stalking you, ....sorry tracking youimage

I'm home from Wales, lovely drive home in the sunshine the views from the Severn Bridge was beautiful

I had a good race, if was too cold for me in parts, heavy frost last night had to de-ice the carimage, but for most of the race the sun was out.   At about 8 miles the wind started to pick up and it was a very cold wind, was dreading the 2nd lap but it wasn't too bad.   I ran to heartrate and felt quite strong when I got to halfway and started to overtake a few runners, finished in 4:47 a course best by 4 minutes and 11 minutes faster than Taunton 2 weeks ago.  I'm pleased with that as have only taken one rest day since Taunton, so must keep on with this trainingimage.   Very friendly and social race, lovely medal of the Welsh dragon, a few bits to eat and a lovely warm hat which I put on immediately I'd finished as it was cold.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

4:47 is good in those conditions. I'm not sure I could handle two marathons so close together! Then again, I've only just done my first, so...

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Well done to the Brighton crew and Shades on a fantastic days racing...

Shades - I was under the impression that you had to complete the 6hrs or your distance wouldn't count. I still don't know why I'm so drawn to the race. I know numbers are limited bit ilk wait till I've completed London and then I'll enter. If there is still places then I'll do it. Will give me a better idea of the benefits of the diet as it's a proper endurance event..
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Well done to the Shades crew today some fantastic running.

I did yoga yesterday morning and managed a 15 minute jog this morning without any major reaction then yoga this afternoon, dare I say I feel like I am on the way back to fitness ????
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Back from Brighton. That was really really hard. Got a PB by just over 8 minutes but just missed the sub 4 hour (chip time was 4:00:23)

The positives: gorgeous weather, great support, generally pretty good organisation

The negatives: not enough toilets by far, getting out after you had finished was slow as for some reason the funnel got really narrow and we were squeezed into a small space. Kit bags we were given were ridiculously small (and split).

Race report: got to the park in loads of time, got into toilet queue at approx 8:35. It didn't move very fast.  A nice lady in the queue saved my place when it became clear that I needed to drop my bag in before the deadline. I was still in the toilet queue at 9.30. 15 minutes after the race started. So I missed my wave and ended up in a much slower wave. This meant that mile 1 and 3 were pretty slow just weaving around slower runners (plus the course was narrow at that point). I made up some time after that and went through the half in under 2hrs. Then I was doing ok (although my muscles seemed tight and tense all the way through) and hit the wind (although it wasn't that windy) at mile 21ish and really struggled the last few miles with near cramp in several muscles.

Although I'm disappointed, SK has already talked sense into me as an 8 minute improvement in 6 months is not bad and my strava feed thinks I ran it in 3:58 as the course measured long on my watch. Really nice medal and t-shirt too.  Saw my husband and kids at mile 3.5, 4.5 and 11 which was really nice and a friend on the gel station at mile 15. It seemed pretty easy for spectators, not like London at all. When I got home, I had a nice bath with Epsom salts and have foam rollered like mad but I think I will be really sore tomorrow.

Splits:

1: 9.38

2: 8.51

3: 9.24

4: 8.58

5: 8.55

6: 9.06

7. 8.59

8. 8.55

9. 9.07

10. 8.56

11. 9.02

12. 8.57

13. 8.49

14. 8.54

15. 9.08

16. 9.05

17. 8.59

18. 8.59

19. 8.50

20. 9.00

21. 9.33

22. 9.19

23. 9.13

24. 9.20

25. 9.18

26. 9.29

27. 3.37

Steve - that was an awesome time! My husband was tracking you and apparently yelled at you (by name) at mile 4. He said you unsurprisingly looked a bit confused.

Catalin - very well done on sneaking under 4:30

Shades - well done, looks like your training is really paying off! Nice touch to get a hat as a prize at the end. 

Cal - I would say that organisation is pretty good, if they sort the toilet situation out. Would I do it again? Possibly. Certainly the pick up of the number went very smoothly and the tracking app was really good. The pick up of bags at the end was very quick, so no problems like they had at Manchester. The support around the course was also pretty good. There were only a few smallish stretches where the support was thin. I would say it was hillier than I thought it was going to be and there were stretches where the road was sloped down towards the sea so you were running on an adverse camber, which my legs weren't too happy about. 

• Thanks for the support everyone. Had a good day but it did hurt quite a lot in the 2nd half! Legs felt stiff most the way but I managed to run on them ok so mostly tried to ignore it! Might pay for that tomorrow!

Got chatting on the start line to a girl and she pulled me along up to mile 14 til I dropped back as was starting to feel the pace was getting harder. After that legs started cramping painfully. Sub 4:30 seemed possible but I had to decide how much I wanted it....was it worth the pain of pushing on? Felt u slowed a lot but managed to hold on and sneak in under target in 4:29:12! Maybe set off a little fast as splits were 2:11 and 2:18.

Now on train as have to travel back to Leeds tonight. Really wish I'd managed to have a shower before leaving Brighton! Face sunburnt, legs sore, but I have a beer in front of me!

Thank you Shades for the programme. There were times in the past couple of weeks I worried if not done enough as I've followed the 3 runs a week and mostly but managed to fit in the extra runs. But the programme worked for me, achieved my target and a 12 min PB!
  • Meant to add well done Steve and Louey too. Both got great times. And Shades and anyone else racing today.

As for organization I second almost everything Louey said. Number pick up was fine for me (though saw in FB that there were queues out the door at some points)

Bag was small but I fitted most my stuff in it. It did need to be fixed with Sellotape in the morning though! Some people got ridiculously tiny bags that might fit at short only! I saw on the Brighton Mara thread that someone was told yhey' accedentally ordered the wrong size bags, possibly the white ones were last minute replacements?

Loo queues at start were ridiculous. I must have joined not long before Louey and got out just in time about 9.05. Baggage drop was very quick and corrals well organized. I liked being able to pick which one to go in. Only other quibble was trying to get out beach village at the end. Took us over a hour to get out and walk to pub. Meant I didn't get shower before I had to get train. After the Brighton half I've headed the other way but it does mean a long circle or steps to get back up the the main road! After the half it hurt enough, after a full marathon..... ????
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Great times all around there guys,well done.

Not far off sub 4 now Louey but great improvement either way.

My leg is still a bit sore after Fridays run so maybe went a bit harder than I should as the weather was so nice and it felt good at the time.

Back to work tomorrow,never ideal after 10 days off.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Wait, they gave you bags to store your stuff in? Or did I read that wrong?

Yeah, the one thing I'm not so keen on about Brighton (aside from the price) is that they don't send your number to you. It seems to be a bit of a bind to have to and collect it the day before.

• Yeah, same as London, you have to use their kit bags. 2011 they were a good size, this time not so much!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

What was the course like? I've read last year's ratings on the site and it said the second half is quite boring. That the case?

• Congratulations Catalin, Steve and Louey on Brighton! Be proud and recover well. Also Shades and Mowser.

I have never dropped a bag at a run but may need to at Leeds half. Best toilet queues were London for me. Each queue led to about 10 portaloos and were run by a marshal. I even managed to go round twice! It was stress you could have done with out at Brighton.

Shades, I am not a member of a running club. There is a good one in my town that I may consider joining in the future. I am nervous about long training runs aggravating my Achilles. I had a good swim yesterday and in the  morning had a lovely walk at Fountains Abbey. I hope to return there next week for park run, Sure you will love park run Cal.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Iain - I can't see the 6 hour filling quickly especially as it's on a Tuesday.   You'll have to check the race rules re whether you need to be on course at the end of the 6 hours.   I've done several 6 hours and most are the most distance covered in the 6 hours, not necessary to be n course at final whistle.

Jugula - I do hope that you are now on the road to recovery.

Louey - well done, an 8 minute PB is great running and you know that sub 4 is yours next time and if you'd managed to get to your pen then maybe you'd have got it yesterday.   Re the toilets, if you do Brighton again find accommodation at the start and then you wouldn't have to use them.   Garmins often over measure, I expect mine to show at least 26.4 for a marathon, it's the way the signal bounces.

Catalin - 12 minutes is a significant PB and you ran well to make your target time.  Most runners slow in the 2nd half and that's not a huge difference in your split times so you shouldn't be disappointed in that.

Cal - it's common in bigger races to be given a special bag for baggage store.   Many races are number collection, which can be a nuisance but for the bigger races it's to get you to the Expo to buy stuff, for smaller races it's to save costs.

Ian5 - that 10 days holiday went quickly!   Hope the leg is OK, take it easy.

Lily - I only use the bag store if I have to, prefer to leave my stuff in my car if I can, like yesterday when I'm only 50 metres from the start line.

Usually its faster running that will aggravate an achilles injury, when you run fast you naturally move more towards forefoot landing and that puts more pressure on the achilles and calf.

Recovery run done and dusted, cold and frosty again.   Legs all fine, just a little tightness in my left calf but I have Yogalates this morning so that should help sort it out.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Just a quick message to say a massive well done to all those doing a marathon on the weekend.  There are some great times there, so well done image  

Louey, bad luck on just missing out on that sub-4.  You know it's within reach now though!  Also, as Shades says GPS do measure over, especially around corners etc as it's the way the device calculates the distance in a series of straight lines as opposed to smooth curve.  Also, if there are trees/high buildings/tunnels in the way that also can change the measured distance.  

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Great results this weekend everyone image

Louey - Just to echo what's been said really, that is a significant PB.. especially as you've been running for a while too. Sub 4 is there for the taking. I've only ever done one major big city marathon (Barcelona 2014) and I found it hard to concentrate with all the crowds etc. Maybe go for a smaller marathon for another crack at a PB.

Steve and Catalin - fab results from you two as well image

That's a fair chunk off last year too Shades, and 11 minutes off your last mara just more confirmation that you've definitely found the training that suits you. Medal sounds lovely.. am well jealous.

I had four days off last week, tried an 11k Saturday to catch back up with plan but foot/knee prob has flared up again and only limped around a short circuit yesterday before giving up. After completing the first cycle of the plan I think I'm going to have to stop it as it's just too much. I'll give it another week off completely then just try a bit of easy running in the hope that I've enough base miles behind me to try and jog round Carcassonne in June. If I keep pushing it I've got a feeling that even that's not going to be possible image

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

mamafox - sorry to hear you're still having injury problems.   I honestly think you need to just run easy at base training pace until you are injury free.   You're right I think you're trying to push your body too much, aim to get injury free then move your PB hopes to an autumn marathon.

Especially for you.....

/members/images/17848/Gallery/Wales_Medal_(2).jpg

Yogalates was challenging for my slightly tired legs but I survived and calf twinge has gone now.   It really is such a good class to do post race.

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Ah thanks.. that's cheered me up a bit Shades, that's a cracker of a medal image

I know you're right about the training too image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Really sorry to hear that, MF.  It's so frustrating image

I went out for a run today as well, and had to cut it short as I could feel my left hip a bit.  I may have been overly cautious, but I thought it best.  I had planned on 18, but felt a twinge at around 13 when I was a couple of miles from home so I ended up with 15 in total, although the last 2 were more like a shuffle than a run.

I have stretched it out and it feels okay.  It'll be a rest day tomorrow and then I'll see how it is on Wednesday.

• LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Shades – that's an awesome medal! Difficult to find accommodation near the start that we can all fit in. The perils of having 3 kids. I think if I did it again, I would actually fork out for the vip tent where there are plentiful loos.

Mamafox – sorry you are still struggling. Running easy sounds like a sensible plan.

BigG – hopefully it was nothing more than a twinge. I was expecting the Garmin to be out, it is normally out a bit and especially as I had to do a bit of weaving early on to get past people.

SK – forgot to ask – is your ITB behaving itself? I am going to download the app and try and track you on Sunday

Catalin – hope you got home ok, yes the queues to get out were a bit mad. We ended up getting through a fence and onto the beach as we weren't going anywhere in the beach village.

Cal – yes they give you kit bags (as they do for London) which you are supposed to put your stuff in. Only they were too small and they split. Loads of us were taping them up on tables outside the bag drop to stop stuff falling out. The second half of the race was less interesting, but the only really dull part was around the power station (miles 19-22). I've definitely done duller races.There were quite a few places where you run past people running the other way which some people find demoralising but I didn't mind it. I got to see the leading pack which I wouldn't have done otherwise. 

Legs are a bit sore today but I had to run for the tube this morning and managed it ok. I might try a recovery run tomorrow. I am already trying to work out my next marathon/s. I am tempted by Brighton again next year as loos aside, I think it’s a good race. And let's face it, I probably won't get a place in the ballot for London. I need to look at flat autumn marathons. Bournemouth is a possibility. I think Loch Ness is out this year (and I know it's not flat) because I need to be around to look at secondary schools most weekends in September/October and that would take out a whole weekend. I can't do Abingdon as we are on holiday. Has anyone got any other suggestions? I don't mind small, as Mamafox says, it is a better bet for a pb. And I'm working on my husband for Edinburgh next May. He needs some convincing but I'm quite persistent….

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - well done on the course PB. Really great that your training is paying dividends. And super medal image

Louey - I've said it already but 8 minutes is a massive amount to knock off in 6 months. That baggage panic chasing your delayed start is annoying though as must have added at least 24 secs. Glad the legs seem OK. How about Berlin in the autumn or is that all sold out? Or do one with MF in France where you could win a goat and some cheese?!

Cal - I'd go for Brighton over Manchester I think. It sounds better organised with plenty of crowd support.
  • Well done to everyone for yesterday, Shades I love that medal. I could be tempted to run that next year myself or possibly just the hm.

Can't believe there are only 9 more training miles until London, scary stuff. I have to say I've really enjoyed the training but it will be nice to just run without taking up half a day once it's all over. 

5 miles tomorrow morning then busy busy with work. Typical, supposed to be a relaxing week but I've got a fair bit of travelling for work which never normally happens so will try and get some early nights to compensate and the dusting can wait, I'm tapering!!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well Louey, there's Thames Meander - there's a full and half marathon distance and it runs three times a year - Spring, Summer (August) and Autumn (November). I've done the half twice and will aim to complete the triple crown this year. But be warned, it can be extremely muddy in places. Crowd support is minimal but a lot of people seem to love it. And it is flat.

You could also try for Medoc in France - that's the one where aid stations include wine and gourmet foods and fancy dress is encouraged. Reputedly the world's slowest marathon, unsurprisingly!

Really nice medal, Shades. My Manchester one is rather boring in comparison (although it is big!)

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Louey - SK is right! Come over here and do an Autumn marathon, I think the Medoc one is already booked up but there are others. I love Cognac in mid November and there is also Nice/Cannes around the same time which is supposed to be good too. Later on, around the end of November is La Rochelle which is a very flat course (plus you get a box of oysters at the end) As you are London based, I'm sure you could find cheap flights over here too. Maybe you could get someone to look after your children for a weekend.. if Mr Louey is wavering for Edinburgh I'm sure he could be persuaded for a weekend away in Cannes instead! image

Big G - You're right, injury is so frustrating. There's nothing worse. It's driving me up the walls - I'm even starting to get jealous of people who can run even though they don't (if that makes sense!) Hope that hip niggle comes to nothing.

Shades - That Yogalates sounds a perfect compliment to running. I am still doing my push up programme but seem to be stuck on week 3. Can't get past 18 proper push ups.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

mamafox - last year we had a lovely medal of Wales, they do have good quality medals, very impressive for a small event, 314 in the marathon.

Big G - you're right to be cautious, I'm not sure why you were wanting to run 18 miles 12 days before your marathonimage.   Do you know what it is with your hip, flexors, tendon?

Louey - what you need next year is a RW forumite that lives at Preston Park and will allow you to use their bathroom pre raceimage However I think it would be worth shelling out for the VIP tent in a situation when you were hoping to get a significant PB, stress pre race is wasted adrenaline.

You always seem to recover well from your races.

Loch Ness is actually a net downhill race, there is one hill of note but it's a fast course.  

Chester is a good fast course and well organised race, 2nd October. 

Leicester is undulating but a good marathon, 23rd October. 

Wolverhampton 2 laps undulating, can be hot as 4th September. 

If you fancy a longish drive there is Mablethorpe on 2nd October, flat fast course, lovely low key race, one of mowzer's favourites, and absolutely no stress pre race.

I haven't done Edinburgh and I'm not in any hurry to do so as hear so many bad reports about it.

SK - I had visions of Louey trying to bring home a goat in the back of her car from Franceimage

Yes, I'm hopeful with my training, must keep on trying to improve my marathon times a little at a time.

Jacky - the next few days will fly past.    I think Great Welsh is a lovely event, not the easiest of marathons as it's 2 laps and a lot of out and back which can be tough mentally, but I would still recommend it.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

xpost mamafox - well done still doing your push up programme, I'd have given up by now.   18 push ups is good.

The Yogalates is amazing, we go through the whole body releasing all tension and tightness, neck shoulders, back, hips, ankles etc. and after a week's running it really feels good.  Then lots of stretches some quite demanding, but you can do just as much as you're comfortable with, it's a great class.

Cold and frosty again this morning, do wish it would warm up.

I'll boing the marathon list so we can have London race numbers pleaseimage