Paris Marathon 2017

Welcome to the Paris 2017 thread. This thread has been running for 10 years and renews each year. More info to follow image

Comments

• This thread has been rolling since 2005-2006 times and renews itself every year. We're a friendly, supportive bunch. Many people keep coming back to run the same marathon and there are always new 'faces' on the thread. So join in, introduce yourself. We've always got lots to talk about and sometimes it even has to do with running and Paris. Welcome

Paris Marathon official website

ASO Challenges website - you need to have an account with ASO to register for the race

Medical Certificate

You will need a certificate signed and stamped from your doctor, download the certificate from the Paris Marathon website. http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/us/registration/medical-certificate

Some doctors do it for free, others a minimum consultancy charge.  Take it with you if you have to see the doctor between now and the race.

Travel

Eurostar is a personal favourite to Gare du Nord as you arrive in the centre of Paris.  Tickets available begining of October.

EXPO

If possible arrive on the Friday as the Expo is extremely busy on the Saturday.  If you must go to the Expo on the Saturday, don’t worry, others have and they survived.

To get to the Expo.  GARE DU NORD, take Metro 4 direction Maire de Monterouge, change at MONTPARNASSE, Metro 12 to PORTE DE VERSAILLES.

You will require; ??? 

• ID ??? 
    • Medical Certificate ??? 
    • Convocation (Confirmation slip, printed off the ASO website, available 2 weeks before the race. ASO will send you an email reminder)  

You will be given your bib, a ticket for the bag drop and 4 safety pins. Also a basic goody bag; plastic bin liner, sponge, water bottle, bumbag….

Saturday Evening

We have our own meet up at a pasta restaurant, numbers are confirmed a couple of weeks before the race.

Race Day

The Arc de Triomphe.  Metro station Charles de Gaulle Etoile. RER A. Metro lines 1, 2, 6

Bag drop.

You can take any bag to the drop zone, attach your ticket to the handle.  Allow 15 minutes to walk from the Arc to the bag drop and back.

Group Photo.

Our second meeting point, at 8am we have a group photo.  Facing the Arc with back to the Champs, we’ll be by the right leg.  This gives the fast runners time to get to their pens.

There are limited portaloos in the pens and urinals. Some go in the side streets and even in the pen. It happens, if you get caught short you’ll understand.

The Champs Eylsées is in the shade, it can be very cold, bring throw away clothes to discard in the pen.  Wait until last minute because there are staggered starts.

The pens are split in two, each pen goes one after the other then one side of the pen, then the other. Last pen leaves just after 10 am.

The course is fairly flat however start is downhill for 2km, it is easy to get carried away and start too fast. There is a small climb at 32km depending on your race, you’ll either not notice it or it will seem like Everest.  Save Energy, not time.

There are makers every kilometre and mile.  

Water stations every 5km. 33cl bottled water. 

There are two sports drink stations one at 28km, this year it was Isostar in small cups.

• You start on the Champs Elysées, down to the Concorde, pass the Louvre, around the Bastille, around the Bois de Vincennes back along the Seine, Trocadero and the Eiffel Tower, up to to Roland Garros and the Longchamps race course, around Bois de Boulogne and finishing along avenue Foch with the Arc de Triomphe in the background.  The support is great and your own supporters can cheer you on 3-6 occasions along the route.  In the two woods (Bois), the support is sparse but generally there is a great atmosphere.

Sunday night

Come to the pub, 3rd meet up, wear your medal with pride. No matter your time, you have earned that medal.  Everyone will be sharing their race stories.   Please say hello, tell us your pen and bib number, perhaps a little about yourselves.  If the thread moves on or life gets in the way, doesn’t matter join in when you can.

• Woohoo! New thread! I'll try to be a bit more present on this one.
  • Wow a new thread..

• NodsterNodster ✭✭✭

Somewhere new to live, well done Jimbob image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ooooh!  Am I on Page 1?

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello!! This is exciting... who's in then?! image

• Hiya image . I won't be running it, in fact there's a chance I won't even be in the same hemisphere on the day, but you're not getting rid of me that easily. All aboard!
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    New thread ooooohhhh, it's all sparkly.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm back for 2017.

Mainly so I can attempt to speak French with a Glaswegian accent that results in Parisians begging me to speak in English!

• Hello!....Here we go again image

• kennokenno ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.  I'm not running next year but I'll hang around if you don't mind. image

• Hi all, yep I'm in for next year.

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

Hello i have no will power and just sign up for things!

Roll on Paris!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

*'Changing my name to Lazarus....*

Back from the dead. Not running. Just chatting image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I've just been for a run.  5 miles.  I'm ready.

• LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Hello all. Back in for my third Paris in 2017.

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭
    Hi! Ran Paris as my 1st marathon in 2014 and this thread was awesome. Entered for 2017 so delighted to be back. Great bunch of folks image
  • PARIS 2017 list

pen (3:15):
    9672 - Steve Duffy 2

Blue Pen (3:30):
    17108 – MattL
    17165 - LloydR

Purple pen (3:45):
    29172 - Baldstan
    29451 - Pistol101
    29460 – Yer Maj
    29691 – Eggyh73

Green pen (4hr):
    43209 – Nells
    44052 - Betzza
    44674 – Benign Murmurring

Pink pen (4:30+):
    68714 – Tired Legs

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/, there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation (a piece of paper that you HAVE to take with you to the Expo) is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• I'm in, pink 68350
  • Hello All

Still not decided 2017 or not!?!?! But I would like to stick around if ok with everyone as you're all so fab and helpfull with everything running not just Paris.

Going to shorten my name though and drop the HayleyB so now I'm just Hales
  • Just wanted to say Hello, and also to anyone new who is wondering whether to join this forum I would strongly recommend it. This is a fantastic bunch of people without whom I would simply not have been able to take part in the Paris marathon this year. The support, advice, friendly welcome, and ability to save the day at the last minute is amazing.

Think it's unlikely I will be running Paris in 2017. Got a lot going on in my personal life which will probably make it impossible, but plan to stick around. Running the Yorkshire marathon in October, and thinking maybe Edinburgh or Loch Ness, or maybe both for next year.

• Purple-29643, I couldn't resist having another go next year after popping my cherry in Paris this year ????

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Karen - Loch Ness is a well organised event worth running. Personally I wouldn't run Edinburgh again if someone was holding a gun to my head. Terribly organised race, which bar the opening few miles isn't actually in Edinburgh!

• What Eggy said about Edinburgh - plus, since they knocked down the power station they've taken away the one landmark in the out and back along the shore!

• Oh dear, back to the drawing board on that then!!