Options

cyclists on the footpath

sometimes when  i go  to my hobby  of  walking  you get cyclists  how come flying past on pavement  very close and never  let  you know they are there

footpaths are for the person on foot  and not 2 wheels  

time  it was clamped down on   but saying that  near where  i live some where stopped by the police for cycling on the pavement

Comments

• Options

Then it sounds like it is being clamped down on where you are

Its not easy to 'clamp down' on everything .. 

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

My guess is that compo has been clamping down on something already

• Options
    Yeah nobs on bikes. They shouldn't be there but there's lots of things people shouldn't do but they get away with it. I would start off by executing litter bugs. Make an example out of them.
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

leading neatly on to general rants about anything. Dog poo and football (one of the same thing, really).

• Options
    Subtle elbow as they go past usually works...
  • Options

When I go biking I will ride on the pavements if I consider the road to be too congested or dangerous, too many people have been injured or killed where I live. Mainly I tend to ride on trails though, and recently these (along with the existing bike paths) have been re-coated in tarmac, so are now full of pedestrians, dog walkers, runners, buggies and motorised chairs, share and share alike for me. Make roads safe for bikes, and no problem.

• Options

So because you consider the road to be dangerous, you are willing to make the pavement dangerous for pedestrians ? Or do you expect them to walk on the road ? 

• Options

Yeah that's about it, it's my safe space as well, I suppose I do raise the pedestrian's risk, but that's minor by comparison. I don't see pedestrians killed by cyclists, but where I live cyclists are seriously injured and killed. I'm also a pedestrian (more often than cyclist) and I don't mind if bikers are sharing my pavement. I would also add that my experience is I slow down if there's a pedestrian I don't go flying past, and I speak and say good morning, I find it is usually a pleasant exchange. 

• Options

Don't they have the cycling proficiency test these days?  Most places the roads aren't especially dangerous if you're confident and know what you're doing. Most pavement cyclists aren't as considerate as runnin man is.

• Options
    Jeez RM are you seven or something? Man up and ride properly.
  • Options

he's waiting for daddy to take his stabilisers off.image 

• Options

Never heard about the cycling proficiency test in years wonder if they still do it? I've seen two cyclists in the last 3 months (on my drive to work) that I passed regularly, neither would I consider irresponsible in any way, but both have been seriously hit in the morning traffic, so all things considered I'll stick to dodging the strollers, maybe 2 minutes slower, but much safer, and quite sociable.  

• Options
    Runnin man wrote (see)

Yeah that's about it, it's my safe space as well, I suppose I do raise the pedestrian's risk, but that's minor by comparison. I don't see pedestrians killed by cyclists, but where I live cyclists are seriously injured and killed. I'm also a pedestrian (more often than cyclist) and I don't mind if bikers are sharing my pavement. I would also add that my experience is I slow down if there's a pedestrian I don't go flying past, and I speak and say good morning, I find it is usually a pleasant exchange. 

Get off the pavement, you reprehensible cretin. You give us cyclists a bad name.

• Options

No need for insults, you do your thing, I'll do mine, you have to ask yourself if you'd encourage your child to take a bike to the rush hour traffic, I can guess the answer, good luck with the traffic lottery

• Options

Au contraire. I hope that the next person that you hit will be a nice sturdy builder rather than a little old lady, and that you are hooked off your bike and taught the error of your ways extremely directly. You are an awful person.

• Options
    Yeah RM - you're a 55 year old businessman though.....
  • Options

Actually you have resorted to insults and wishing injury on someone you don't even know, not a great position from which to call another.

• Options

Believe me, you're getting the mild version. You give us cyclists a bad name. Grow up.

• Options

56 now so I would not bounce too well in traffic

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Wow, it really is Dickensian season.

I don't cycle on pavements but I would rather give way to a bike than see the rider splattered all over the road. In the London suburbs it is taking a big risk using the road. Luckily not is is building a bike only route into town for the locals who are Mad enough to work in loll the city and also ride a bike to work.
  • Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Runnin man wrote (see)

What makes it your pavement ?

• Options

Of course it's mine, to use as I need so are roads, fields etc, figure of speech but true nonetheless

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I don't ride much now but I used to commute every day. Some sections I would ride on the pavement where I didn't feel safe on the road. I'd always ride slowly and give way to pedestrians for those sections. It might be against the rules and it might annoy some of you guys but I'll take that over getting clipped by a car doing 40mph.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Runnin man wrote (see)

Of course it's mine, to use as I need so are roads, fields etc, figure of speech but true nonetheless

If on a cycle path, then yes, it is yours to use. On a normal pavement/footpath/call it what you will, then you should not be riding your bike. Check rule 64 of the Highway Code

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Think the acceptability of cycling on't pavement depends a lot on the cyclist, their bike and speed.

Anyone in Lycra, on a road bike and doing over 10mph, get on the road, stop being a pillock.

Little old men on sit-up-and-begs pootling along (is this you Running Man?image ) not a prob for me.

Slow bikers are a danger to everyone on the road?
  • Options

There's a lot of life's rules that we choose to go along with or not, rule 1 of life - self preservation, as above slow and polite progress on a pavement is preferable to being nudged into the road by busy traffic, you're entitled to your opinion

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

It's not my opinion, it's the law...

• Options
    senidM wrote (see)
    Think the acceptability of cycling on't pavement depends a lot on the cyclist, their bike and speed.

Anyone in Lycra, on a road bike and doing over 10mph, get on the road, stop being a pillock.

Little old men on sit-up-and-begs pootling along (is this you Running Man?image ) not a prob for me.

Slow bikers are a danger to everyone on the road?

Ha ha ha I would certainly not be Lycra man, but agreed that average jogging pace is sufficient on a pavement, anything above is irresponsible.

• Options
    Ah But how fast do jog ?